Sign in to follow this  
AA7

Wheel Advice

I know this is a topic that comes up a lot, so sorry, but hopefully I can get some good advice as my knowledge on these things is limited : )

My current race wheels are Reynolds Attack clincher which are a 32mm rim. I'm looking to go with something a bit deeper and have seen the Reynolds Assault 46mm, for a good price ($1249).

So:

General feedback about these wheels?

At a reported 1550g, is this a reasonable weight? (I'm only a small, light rider so I would like to get as light as possible.)

Will I notice a difference between these and my current wheels?

Any other suggestions for similar wheelset?

Thanks

get on bike bug and buy the xrd sets for $699.....either 60mm or 60/85mm

I cant tell the difference between 50mm and 60mm so dont worry about the wind, if you are doing tris on the wheels get the 60/85.

I dont like Renyolds wheels but that is because I am fat and break spokes in them. I am sure they are fine for thin blokes.

i have seen so many of those Reynolds fall to bits- but it might be because they are so cheap people use them as everyday wheels- ie they get ridden a lot

why you would choose stiff carbon rims as an everyday/bunch ride wheel is beyond me- yet alone the lack of comfort/inferior performance under brakes/ on crappy roads etc.............plus the inevitable break down from home when you least want it

for what they are they seem ok but dont expect them to last as an everyday wheel

there's a reason the old timers get around on Mavic Open Pros, Ambrosias ,Velocity Deep V and older Camy Shamals etc

Edited by Jimmy C
  • Like 1

i have seen so many of those Reynolds fall to bits- but it might be because they are so cheap people use them as everyday wheels- ie they get ridden a lot

why you would choose stiff carbon rims as an everyday/bunch ride wheel is beyond me- yet alone the lack of comfort/inferior performance under brakes/ on crappy roads etc.............plus the inevitable break down from home when you least want it

for what they are they seem ok but dont expect them to last as an everyday wheel

there's a reason the old timers get around on Mavic Open Pros, Ambrosias ,Velocity Deep V and older Camy Shamals etc

Thanks for your thoughts. I am surprised about the negativity though. I have had my current Reynolds wheels on my training/ racing bike for the last 3 years, everyday riding, with no problems at all. As I said I'm only light, so maybe that is why.

really depends where/how you ride/how strong you are. and yes if you are a lightweight and/or short that really helps

some people are just harder on wheels than others. theres a guy in my bunch who breaks 32 spoke ambrosias tied and soldered

really depends where/how you ride/how strong you are. and yes if you are a lightweight and/or short that really helps

some people are just harder on wheels than others. theres a guy in my bunch who breaks 32 spoke ambrosias tied and soldered

I'm all of those...short, light and not a particularly strong rider. They have done lots of kms though, including two IM build ups.

I'm 68kgs and have had Assaults on my Kredo Ultra roadie since 2009 and riding on the dead roads of the Eurobodalla. No issues or problems at all.

Im 78Kgs and the Reynolds Assault wheels are awesome. Been running the 46mm carbons for over 2 years.

Only fault with them are the hubs wear out but then im riding 200K per week on them.

Other than that in stronger cross winds you just need to adjust bike handling as the front wheel gets a fair amount of buffeting.

mate how can you call that an endorsement of a wheel? 2 years? I have Campy wheels with the original hubs that are over 15 years old with 10,000's of kms. I have Zipps that are at least 8

hate to break it to you but 200k for 2 years is hardly heavy use of a wheelset

i had a set of askiums that did more than 100,00km, not all with me obvioisly.

Race wheels and training wheels are 2 different things

I had ksyrium elites that did about 15,000 on my bike. They are now on master tortoises bike as he had a string of spoke fails on his Shimano 550s. They are still going strong, but the rim is wearing out.

mate how can you call that an endorsement of a wheel? 2 years? I have Campy wheels with the original hubs that are over 15 years old with 10,000's of kms. I have Zipps that are at least 8

hate to break it to you but 200k for 2 years is hardly heavy use of a wheelset

Mavic Open Pros. Had them 7 years, I reckon they have done about 60,000ks i have never even thought about servicing them or anything. Just change the tyres every year or so

Mate

Your Maths isn't too good!

200k per week for 2 years is over 20,000kms

thanks for doing the basic multiplication but thats exactly what i was saying- 20,000 is nothing on a wheelset

• Like 1

Shit here we go.....empirical or metric fellas? All measurements from the underside please..

Is yoyo a bit gwumpy today ?

I'm on nights, putting up with drunken idiots, so it's fair to say I am a bit.