Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten More Questions with AP.

Hey AP. Another Kona in the books and quite a bit more to talk about. May I encourage you to elaborate fully each question.

Starter Question first.

When was the last time you held regular employment? And what kind of work did you do?

Thanks Al.

1. AP, when I first joined the forum I heard you described as "Hawaii Age Group legend, Alan Pitman" That was 8 years ago, but I think the label still fits. I'm estimating 13-14 Kona appearances, 5 podiums, I thought you had a win, but I'm not sure. Could you update those numbers please? Kona results only.

2, Now Al, since you have to qualify like anyone else. How would you strategise that looking ahead over the next few years. What races will you select? And how many races would you do in a 12 month period?

3. AP. Going back a few years, let's say 15 years ago, a lot of us looked ahead, thinking that the upper age divisions would be winnable if we just stayed in the sport long enough. Now how has that changed over the years?

4. So again, looking ahead, going into 65-69, any specific goals for next year?

5. AP. You have been credited with mentoring Pete Jacobs. Is that correct, you mentored Pete, rather than actually coaching him? I'm assuming he might have his own coach. So how did that all come about and how did the relationship gel?

6. So which of the above gives you more pride? Standing on the podium yourself, or watching PJ go up as champion? Either way it must be incredible. So which is better for you?

7. So again on Pete, I do recall a lot of people from the Nth suburbs of Sydney, Ben Larsen, Jimmy C and others did feel Pete would win someday. So as the guard may change in the next few years, and Pete is young enough, how far will he take that? Could he win 5 or 6?

8. Thanks Alan. I want to ask you about power numbers. Your a pretty big advocate of power data, yet a guy like Jacobs apparently doesn't even look at the numbers, except when shown the data later. How important is that particular technology in racing?

9. Al, coaching wise you might have a chance to go higher, but at 64, I wonder, is the window still open for you to move up? Let's say in the mold of other coaches who have taken on more pro's, more elite triathletes? is that on the cards or not?

10. OK. I'm thinking specifically of your mate Tony "Jabbs" Unicomb here. Tony and a few others do go on about how great triathlon was back in the good old days, let's say in the '80's. Do you buy into any of that?

The Bonus Question.

Yo Yo was sighted at Kona in some fairly elite company. When will the Yo actually fulfill this potential you talked about in your previous 10 Q's? Is he a late developer?

Thanks Al. We haven't discussed a few of your favourite subjects. Use of supplements, worming and the ability to HTFU. I think they have been overdone so I left them out.

So may I also ask you to continue taking questions from the forum?

Starter Question first.

When was the last time you held regular employment? And what kind of work did you do?

I have started quite a few different businesses – last time I worked for a boss was 36yrs ago as a landscaper

Thanks Al.

1. AP, when I first joined the forum I heard you described as "Hawaii Age Group legend, Alan Pitman" That was 8 years ago, but I think the label still fits. I'm estimating 13-14 Kona appearances, 5 podiums, I thought you had a win, but I'm not sure. Could you update those numbers please? Kona results only.

I have raced Hawaii 14 times – 3 top 5 – 13 top 10 – best effort 3rd with 10.20 at 51yrs

2, Now Al, since you have to qualify like anyone else. How would you strategise that looking ahead over the next few years. What races will you select? And how many races would you do in a 12 month period?

My next race will be Hell of the West in Feb – it’ll be my 20th HOTW – I want to be in good shape for that one as I’ve won my cat 19 times – I want a full set – I can’t stop the other guys doing what they’re going to do – I just have to do my best on the day – I will be racing Port in May – I will be in the 65-69 cat – I'm going to be strong and healthy for it

3. AP. Going back a few years, let's say 15 years ago, a lot of us looked ahead, thinking that the upper age divisions would be winnable if we just stayed in the sport long enough. Now how has that changed over the years?

It hasn’t changed – the guys who train carefully and look after their recovery and health are winning

4. So again, looking ahead, going into 65-69, any specific goals for next year?

Maintaining good health – less manual work (renovations and small landscape jobs I may be tempted to do) – work on the best technique in each sport and good body maintenence

5. AP. You have been credited with mentoring Pete Jacobs. Is that correct, you mentored Pete, rather than actually coaching him? I'm assuming he might have his own coach. So how did that all come about and how did the relationship gel?

We had a coaching contract for two years – these days he knows his body very well and is thoroughly committed to body maintenance and technique refinement – he is self coached but we all need support staff – I know and understand him – our five year goal was to win Hawaii – we’ll still be friends and be in contact when necessary – it’s a loose arrangement – I have mentored many athletes – often I let them find their own path and simply join them when necessary

6. So which of the above gives you more pride? Standing on the podium yourself, or watching PJ go up as champion? Either way it must be incredible. So which is better for you?

There is no better view for a triathlete than from the podium in Hawaii – watching Pete leading the race while I was still racing gave me goose bumps – I was already used to the idea by time the presentations came – it is pretty good – I’d say satisfying is the sentiment

7. So again on Pete, I do recall a lot of people from the Nth suburbs of Sydney, Ben Larsen, Jimmy C and others did feel Pete would win someday. So as the guard may change in the next few years, and Pete is young enough, how far will he take that? Could he win 5 or 6?

I believe the journey has a long way to go – Pete is the sort of guy who will still be the sort of guy he’s always been – he smiled a lot before he won – he’ll smile a lot more in the future – whether he wins more Hawaii Ironman races will depend on him maintaining his balance and I believe he will – he has a big year ahead of him – I am confident he’ll take time out for the things close to his heart

8. Thanks Alan. I want to ask you about power numbers. Your a pretty big advocate of power data, yet a guy like Jacobs apparently doesn't even look at the numbers, except when shown the data later. How important is that particular technology in racing?

We use power in training – Pete uses power in training – it’s a tradesmans tool – he’s able to put it down – the real tool which gets results is the spirit – controlling the mind so it doesn’t get in the way of the spirit is how you win big races – a racing car driver sees the tacho as a small part of his field of vision, not the major focus – he knew how far to rev his engine

9. Al, coaching wise you might have a chance to go higher, but at 64, I wonder, is the window still open for you to move up? Let's say in the mold of other coaches who have taken on more pro's, more elite triathletes? is that on the cards or not?

Firstly 64 is not old – there are many more tunes left to be played on this old fiddle – I have a general direction in which I head – I don’t have a specific plan for the future – I have other athletes who are still developing – Pete has done 25 IM races – it’s a long apprenticeship – I have had over 60 age groupers go through to Hawaii – I believe I will coach a female winner

10. OK. I'm thinking specifically of your mate Tony "Jabbs" Unicomb here. Tony and a few others do go on about how great triathlon was back in the good old days, let's say in the '80's. Do you buy into any of that?

I think it was a bit like an old kombie or FJ Holden – we thought they were pretty good back then but now they’re just old cars – we have to change and adapt along the way – there has been a little too much of TA’s energy put into the Olympics – Olympic gold medalists dream of one day winning the Hawaii Ironman – not the other way round

The Bonus Question.

Yo Yo was sighted at Kona in some fairly elite company. When will the Yo actually fulfill this potential you talked about in your previous 10 Q's? Is he a late developer?

Yo-Yo has a lot of talent – when he’s ready he’ll channel his energy down the right path – he needs the right combination of desire and self belief, he has the necessary talent

Edited by AP
  • Like 1

Bumped up for visibility. AP has agreed, as always, to take more questions.

And it's not self promotion. Here we have an AG Triathlete, himself self coached, who has coached a Kona IM winner.

Who can claim that?

AP is not shy to share his secrets. He had PJ doing kilometre intervals off the bike. That seemingly simple little tip was the best bit of tri advice I ever had.

The most I did was 5. Try doing 8 on 30-45 seconds and watch the drop off over the first km. Once you hold those, you will be ready to race.

AP is not shy to share his secrets. He had PJ doing kilometre intervals off the bike. That seemingly simple little tip was the best bit of tri advice I ever had.

The most I did was 5. Try doing 8 on 30-45 seconds and watch the drop off over the first km. Once you hold those, you will be ready to race.

Sorry, but could you elaborate here? Or have I missed an earlier post? Just wondering what the specific session is.

Cheers.

Sorry, but could you elaborate here? Or have I missed an earlier post? Just wondering what the specific session is.

Cheers.

Roughly it goes like this. Over race distance or distance ridden something like 80% race pace.

Transition to run.

Run 1k over a circuit bringing you back to the starting point. Run these at expected race pace...eg if it's IM distance figure out what's your pace.

Now do that 8 times holding the pace....45 seconds between each km.

Often I give guys a time base to do them on - which gives them 10-20sec recovery which they use to grab a drink or a gel - we do up to 20 x 1km or even 12 x 2km - on a time base of 4min 20sec for some up to 6min for some - the most common time base is 5min - it really tests your feeding plan and muscle conditionng at race pace :smile1:

I think we are blessed to have people like @Coach and AP on this forum. I know a lot of people respect what these knowledge bases give to us of the year. The have done it all and together have seen both sides of the fence.

I will say I don't always agree with people's views and it's easy to form opinions of people but always respect an individuals opinions which is required when viewing forums.

About AP; when I was in Kona and was leaving the presentation night I saw AP up ahead. I took the opportunity to say hello and introduce myself. I have to say he was "very open and willing to learn"!!!!!! Lol just kidding. Was great to have a chat and found him to be a very nice and genuine person. All credit to him, his results, longevity and thanks for the frank, honest and forthright options on here!!!