Luist

Dyma disc covers?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's used a Dyma wheel cover?

http://dyma.calforsyth.com/productsslg.html

I need to replace my wheelbuilder cover and came across these. They're Australian, and are a little cheaper, with the freight savings it's reasonably significant.

Also a slightly different design, with the fasteners higher up and a slit down the centre...

Thanks

LT

I like them. If they did one to suit a PT wheel I'd think about getting one to compare it with a Wheelbuilder cover.

The slit would make it a nightmare to fit IMO.

Wheelbuilder covers are still ridiculously cheap for the aero benefit they give.

Edited by Mr Tinman
  • Like 1

i was thinking of getting some Sketchers running shoes as well.

So if you were a real cheap ass like me, could you stick one of these on, say a ksyrium rear wheel then get like a planet x front wheel, thus saving the cost of getting two carbon deep wheels?

So if you were a real cheap ass like me, could you stick one of these on, say a ksyrium rear wheel then get like a planet x front wheel, thus saving the cost of getting two carbon deep wheels?

You don't have to be a cheap ass mate! I think they are also super practical. traveling with a disc to AUckland was stressful. and the fact that they almost banned them for race day was a real concern. next time I am traveling with a wheel cover!!

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's used a Dyma wheel cover?

http://dyma.calforsy...roductsslg.html

I need to replace my wheelbuilder cover and came across these. They're Australian, and are a little cheaper, with the freight savings it's reasonably significant.

Also a slightly different design, with the fasteners higher up and a slit down the centre...

Thanks

LT

not sure how the fitting works they seem to olnly have one and they do not accommodate for different different rims. or did I miss something.

You don't have to be a cheap ass mate! I think they are also super practical. traveling with a disc to AUckland was stressful. and the fact that they almost banned them for race day was a real concern. next time I am traveling with a wheel cover!!

That's a very good point, it means you have a wheelset ready to go even if discs are banned (or if the wind is so bad you feel uncomfortable riding a disc).

Do these covers rattle around while in use?

Ive always been interested in using a disk or wheel cover (I'm cheap) but hate rattles :-(

i was thinking of getting some Sketchers running shoes as well.

I don't think there is a T in skechers , or volley's for that matter but there is (was?) in KT26

Do these covers rattle around while in use?

Ive always been interested in using a disk or wheel cover (I'm cheap) but hate rattles :-(

not sure about this particular brand but I have a wheelbuilder one and yes they can rattle a bit rough roads. it also depends on how well you fasten them. never found it an issue at all.

Cheers for the feedback! Happy to assist in any questions in the future on this message board.

As for the above queries;

1) Rattle - the material used in the DYMAs has a higher rubber content than it's competitors. The fasteners are also located in a position closer to the hub to generate a higher tension across the lens shape. I will be shooting a short video to illustrate this in future but can confirm the rattle during riding is non-existent. If you tap it with your finger when stationary - there is a slight 'ting', but this is hard to avoid due to the non-carbon composite construction.

2) Texture - Some may not like the aesthetics of the textured finish, you can flip this over to get a gloss finish if you prefer.

We've had some really great reviews so far from a few individuals. Namely Frank Turner from Germany who has a son (Philipp) who is a previous German Track TT Champion (500m) and is competing with this product on a national standard.

See attached mock-up of the Tri Series disc to be released very soon. Keep an eye out for Nick Barrett during the first round of the Gatorade Triathlon Series opener on Sunday 25th November at the Catani Gardens, St Kilda.

Any and all feedback appreciated.

dymaSLt_01.jpg

Cheers for the feedback! Happy to assist in any questions in the future on this message board. As for the above queries;

1) Rattle - the material used in the DYMAs has a higher rubber content than it's competitors. The fasteners are also located in a position closer to the hub to generate a higher tension across the lens shape. I will be shooting a short video to illustrate this in future but can confirm the rattle during riding is non-existent. If you tap it with your finger when stationary - there is a slight 'ting', but this is hard to avoid due to the non-carbon composite construction.

2) Texture - Some may not like the aesthetics of the textured finish, you can flip this over to get a gloss finish if you prefer.

I'm not in the market (I already have a wheelbuilder cover) but I'm curious to know how the slit is fastened to stop it flapping around.

And of course, also curious to know the tranny discount :)

Edited by trinube

Absolutely, happy to do a 10% off discount for users of this forum - just PM me with your paypal email so I can send you order details.

Few reasons for the part line on the DYMA SLs:

1) All plastics expand and contract to a degree - if you have a formed product (like our competitor's) fastened to a object that does not expand/contract, the discs will become looser in warm weather due to the thermal instability.

2) The part line allows for flat packing during freight. This reduces freight costs and lens shape damage.

3) You can remove the DYMA SL discs without actually removing your wheel from your bike. So as a user scenario; you turn up to a tri race, find that the track marshals are not allowing discs due to weather conditions, you can pop the clips off and remove the discs without having to go to any trouble with wheel removal and change-over.

In terms of the part line causing flapping; the part lines overlap each other and are both fastened tight to stop and movement. Some user prefer a cleaner look so they run a piece of electric tape along the part line.

See attached sample image of Nick's DYMA SLi disc set.

DYMASLiNBSample.jpg

Cheers,

Cal

Quick update on the SLi model to be release mid-December. 30% lighter than the SL model, keep an eye out if your riding the EastLink Ride For Home event this weekend, come and say g'day. Pictured on the Zipp 404 wheel with the 'DYMA Carbon' laminate. Will be custom made to fit each wheel ordered.

Thanks, Cal

DYMASLiCarbon.jpg

So what will be the delivered price on the SLi model for an HED Jet 90?

*edited for correct wheel!

Edited by nealo

I just bought a set of Dyma wheelcovers from Cal.

I previously had a set of Wheelbuilder ones but when I updated rear wheel to a 404 firecrest the wheelbuilder ones didn't work on my bike. I have a speed concept and the wheelbuilder ones rubbed on the duotrap sensor.

I discussed this with Cal over email and he was very helpful. Quick responses to any questions and prompt service when I did order.

Anyway I received them yesterday so haven't raced on them yet. I put them on this morning and did a short test ride, couldn't hear any rattling.

Also really like the fact you can put these on and remove them without removing your rear wheel and cassette. I just put the bike on the workstand and had them on in a little over 5 minutes.

Probably won't race with them until Huskisson so will let you know how they go after that.

I would say it's worth getting in touch Cal if you are considering a set of wheelcovers.

Same for me (Zipp 808) - happy with mine but have not raced with them or used them on a long ride yet.

Hoping to order one of these this month, customer service has been good so far, apart from the non availability of the product that is...

Any more feedback on the product? Does it fit well and stay put?

Hoping to order one of these this month, customer service has been good so far, apart from the non availability of the product that is...

Any more feedback on the product? Does it fit well and stay put?

I've only managed a couple of test rides. Longest was 45 mins day before Husky LC. Had no issues with fitting and they stayed put including though the massive downpour I had to ride through.

Husky was meant to be first race on them but DNS due to lingering bronchitis.

Itching to race on them though

Used mine for the first time in Mooloolaba. Every bit as good as an expensive disc wheel. Mine was on a Zipp 808. If you already have a decent set of race wheels, this is the way to go.

Used it in two races and will be training on it tomorrow.

It is nicely finished and fits well. I got offered free printing and sent the logo of my sponsor and the printing looks great, though it scratches off if you are not careful. Cal offered to laminate over the printing to see if it helped and said it would add to the weight, I don't think I will bother.

I found there was some dimpling as I tightened the fixtures, I am not sure if this will have an impact on performance though, negative of positive...? Cal sent me an extra set of longer hardware to see if that helped but I haven't swapped them yet. It fits well and doesn't move as it is on now.

In a Tri on Monday around the Regatta Center at the Riff (Flat course) I had 30min at 278w np and averaged 40.1kph, no drafting not a lot of traffic to pass. That seems like pretty good value for 87kgs+ for Rider and bike.

Overall I am happy with the product and very happy with the customer service and communication from Cal at Dyma.

• Like 1

SL for me. Raced 2 sprints and one IM with it now, and will definitely be racing IM Cairns with it as well.

Appreciate the kind words. Glad to hear everyone is happy with the products and service.

I've added a gallery section to the dyma.com.au website under Products > Gallery, be great to feature a few of your bikes online if your interested.

Great to hear of the success from Joostoz and MM too, top job.

See attached recently released CL version fastened to the Core Carbon 58's.

gallery_cl01.jpg

On the left of that image, it appears the cover is not 'connected', can you explain?

Is it possible to order *without* the clips (and holes) which hold it together; I would prefer tape as it provides a cleaner finish.

Is it possible to order *without* the clips (and holes) which hold it together; I would prefer tape as it provides a cleaner finish.

You would trust tape to hold on that cover? Just around the edge where it meets the rim?

So I've spent a bit of time looking, but haven't found an answer so far.......

For a 6hr-ish goal IM biker, currently racing with Fulcum 3 wheels, would a disc cover give me any significant benefit over an undulating IM bike course (Cairns)?

Mr Dyma,

Have you made covers for a PlanetX 101mm rear? They are those rebadged chinese things. You have 80mm as your nearest box yo check when ordering.

Ta

For a 6hr-ish goal IM biker, currently racing with Fulcum 3 wheels, would a disc cover give me any significant benefit over an undulating IM bike course (Cairns)?

Yes. The longer you are using it the more you will benefit too.(I will throw 7-9min saving out there as a rough guess) From what I understand Cairns is a very flat bike course so the extra weight has virtually no impact.

Mr Dyma,

Have you made covers for a PlanetX 101mm rear? They are those rebadged chinese things. You have 80mm as your nearest box yo check when ordering.

Ta

I've emailed Cal from Dyma looking for one for this rear wheel this morning.

He said that he had something which would suit I think, I sent him a photo of mine and some measurements so I will let you know when he comes back to me if you like.

Yes. The longer you are using it the more you will benefit too.(I will throw 7-9min saving out there as a rough guess) From what I understand Cairns is a very flat bike course so the extra weight has virtually no impact.

Wow, that much?

Just sent them an email to see if they'd fit my wheels. Just in case...... :ninja:

I am going to order a set of the SLi's. There is an option to have a logo or a brand or a flag put on them. I am not sure what to get on them. What have other people put theirs?

• Like 1

I am going to order a set of the SLi's. There is an option to have a logo or a brand or a flag put on them. I am not sure what to get on them. What have other people put theirs?

I imagine a big red transitions logo would make your bike easy to spot in transitions.

• Like 1

Mine has the flying spaghetti monster logo.

• Like 2

You would trust tape to hold on that cover? Just around the edge where it meets the rim?

exactly. the guys who do it swear by it - good in heat/rain etc

this guy shows how its best taped in his DIY ST thread..

541352_305545356188011_100001976479327_724164_1294855341_n.jpg

Do folks only use these on tubulars? Or clinchers too? Is it a pain in the arse to change a flat?

Do folks only use these on tubulars? Or clinchers too? Is it a pain in the arse to change a flat?

Can be used on either and would make no difference to changing a flat. You can also take the covers off without removing the wheel from the bike if you have to. It would be a good option if you were travelling to an event where it was very windy and discs might be prohibited.