gulliver

2 x IM AG world champion busted for doping

Kevin Moats M50-54 committed a doping violation. Moats has received a one-year period of ineligibility for the offense, effective January 30, 2012, and has been provisionally suspended from WTC competition since notice of the adverse finding.

Finding resulted from the administration of testosterone consistent the World AntiDoping Agency’s Prohibited List and by the World Triathlon Corporation Anti-Doping Rules

And this from his Alma Mater 2008

"Why undergo such a painful physical test? For Moats, the explanation is simple: “An Ironman,” he says, “is a reflection of character.” If this is true, Kevin Moats has a character made of steel."

http://www2.lawrence...=204&nid=433574

How pathetic!

My opinion. Treat AGers differently to pros.....lifetime ban, find a new hobby. They don't depend on the sport for an income.

Edited by gulliver
  • Like 1

He is the guy that wears a mirror on his helmet so he can draft, certainly is a reflection of character. If you search his name in slow twitch he is not well liked, and that was before the drug test.

i agree its pathetic; but i do not agree on your lifetime ban opinion.

gees. get a life rather than worry about what other people are doing and MAKING it your business.

An 'out of competition' drug test on an Age Grouper. Obviously someone dobbed him in.

While it would appear that this guy was doping to increase performace I am sure that a very large number of athletes would potentially fail a drug test. The list of banned subtances is huge and always changing.

I think back to Canberra 70.3 last year where I had swimmers ear in the week leading up to the race. So I raced into the docs and got sofradex. This is medication which s farily common for swimmers ear but I have since found out it is on the banned list and I should have obtained a TUE.

yeah! let the race cheats be, they have a right to cheat if they wish.

It's not as if the results are affected and it shouldn't bother anybody else.

Long live the doping omerta :thumbsup:

If you break the rules be prepared to accept the consequences (don't forget it was fully intentional).

It's pretty simple and it should matter to others who are doing the right thing.

So whats he going to do with his holiday house?

In addition, Moats recently purchased a home in Kona, enabling him to train onsite three months of the year.

Just a little bit obsessive....

I was verbally informed of this last week whilst spectating at IM Kona but could not find any written documents to back it up. Moats was in Kona last week but not racing.

I have raced on courses against Moats many times, different AG but has blatantly drafted off me and many others on many occasions. He is a cheat and has been for many, many years - decades actually.

Interesting that the 1 year ban is from WTC races and not USAT races too.

• Like 1

Interesting that the 1 year ban is from WTC races and not USAT races too.

He should be once the info gets sent out to USADA etc.

Bans are affective with all WADA affiliated signatory sports.

So by rights he would/should be banned from USAT races.

He should be once the info gets sent out to USADA etc.

Bans are affective with all WADA affiliated signatory sports.

So by rights he would/should be banned from USAT races.

Why only 1 year? Did he pass across the details of his supplier? Or other athletes?

Why the 9 month wait in announcing it?

gees. get a life rather than worry about what other people are doing and MAKING it your business.

What is your problem? Not that I should have to justify starting this thread, but since you've told me I should get a life, I will, albeit briefly. This guy actually races in my age group 50-54 and I've raced Kona so I would likely race against him next time I go. If this guy is so serious about trying to win that he'll dope at age group level, he's clearly got problems. FFS he bought a house in Kona and spends 3 months a year training there!

Yeah it's only a hobby but I love to train and train effectively and pricks like this guy threaten to spoil the fun, not just for me, but for IM-ers at all levels. Consequently I'm more than happy to out him.

Still got a problem there Louey?

Must be a mistake. No doping in AG IM surely!?!!

Oh God. Please don't tell me it's rife and I've been blind to it!

Very funny guy, Lewis Black, on the Daily Show the other night asking why we all aren't on whatever Lance was on. (16/10/12 starts at around 5 minutes in if you want to download it)

Must be a mistake. No doping in AG IM surely!?!!

YoYo, part of the omerta.

Of course there is no doping in IM. If any individual is caught doping, they are fools that are operating on their own without the backing of the teams or the organisers of the sport.

There are some amazing over 40s triathletes out there. I still reckon 99% of them train and race hard. A bloke in the 50s ran 16.25 for 5k in the aquathlon. The guy in my age swam as fast as Richard Varga who led the olympics triathlon. These guys are just very, very good. I suspect the majority of the very small percentage of athletes that do dope aren't competitive anyway. Much more to it than physiology in our stream of the sport

He is the guy that wears a mirror on his helmet so he can draft, certainly is a reflection of character. If you search his name in slow twitch he is not well liked, and that was before the drug test.

So he's a dentist as well :-)

A one year ban is like a lifetime ban.

He will be tested again. He will be universally hated. And he will be more than likely ostracised by the Tri community.

As for the house in Kona...reel it in guys...if he can afford it and he wants to do that, why not? Probably has a good rental/investment value.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Judging by the ads on American TV every second male over 45 is on testosterone. Or 'T' as the lingo goes. Not condoning in anyway - he shouldn't be racing if on it.

Interesting issue in AG tris for ageing athletes - if they get a friendly doc to write a TUE saying they are 'low' on testosterone or whatever are they OK?

Pretty unsound reasoning but the language sounds fashionable Louey, I think you need to get a clue. I'll clue you in. This concerns all of us that compete and participate in this sport. This concerns all of us that one day want our children to enjoy this sport, and others too. Bad things happen when good people do nothing. There are fit characters and unfit characters, the unfit ones ruin it for everyone unless weeded out.

• Like 1

Pretty unsound reasoning but the language sounds fashionable Louey, I think you need to get a clue. I'll clue you in. This concerns all of us that compete and participate in this sport. This concerns all of us that one day want our children to enjoy this sport, and others too. Bad things happen when good people do nothing. There are fit characters and unfit characters, the unfit ones ruin it for everyone unless weeded out.

They don't directly affect you, Slowman. And they don't ruin the sport for others. They ruin it for themselves.

Even with the one year ban, how does this guy even show up for a race without having the venim of other competitors spat on him?

To be hated for life by a fairly large group of people is a fitting punishment.

here we go again- aussies dont dope do they? gosh horror aussie age groupers- no they couldnt could they?

anyone who thinks that age group and around it isnt affected by PED use is kidding themselves

They don't directly affect you, Slowman. And they don't ruin the sport for others. They ruin it for themselves.

Yes they do, I have to argue about it here :lol: following the "but for test" often used in linking issues of causality, but for this event I would not be arguing about it. Ipso facto I am directly affected.

Edited by Slowman

Jimmy where has anyone said its not happening here? Every race there is the same talk about the same blokes everyone suspects of dipping into the fountain of youth. they are the same ones who cut swim bouys, start in the wrong wave, shortcut turnarounds, draft like crazy and have no qualms about it at all. Doesn't stop us having a smug chuckle when they get their come-uppance

What a load of......

Not sure on slowman's attitude to racing, but this certainly affects those who RACE triathlon. If you think not, then do you also think pro cyclists taking PEDS doesn't affect others, only the individual involved?

What a load of......

Not sure on slowman's attitude to racing, but this certainly affects those who RACE triathlon. If you think not, then do you also think pro cyclists taking PEDS doesn't affect others, only the individual involved?

Exactly, tell that to the blokes he beats onto the podium, not to mention everyone influenced by his ideas/coaching/example. Tolerance of drafting is the thin edge of the wedge, then we'll all be on the tackle and saying "it's only cheating if you get caught"

Is the issue his taking of drugs or that he takes drugs to get a competitive advantage?

Are you serious?

Not angered at all. And to be totally honest as a MOP it doesn't affect me either way.

I feel for the honest guys who use nothing but work hard to get their age group placings.

Not angered at all. And to be totally honest as a MOP it doesn't affect me either way.

I feel for the honest guys who use nothing but work hard to get their age group placings.

Ok, same for me, I don't want an AG title so bad that I would dope (would probably just move to the front of the MOP), I can understand that there are some who would be wired that way.

While it it is not on the same level, I saw many friends lose their battle with Heroin, speed and other drugs in the 1990's. I don't condone drug use in anyway, I find it very sad and a bit of a concern that we are seeing this type of drug use in the weekend warrior ranks

so so funny, kevin moats busted. this is not a surpise given his rampant drafting (witnessed it first hand at kona previously) with his mirror.

I read posts on here where people are agonising over the minutiae of aero, wattage, bike models bla bla bla. I know people who have garages that resemble bike shops. Saying that some people take the sport too seriously is a load of shit IMO. I take the sport seriously. I'm very passionate about it. It has given me a life and I derive a good deal of identity and self esteem from it.

I have no doubt that some have a pathological desire to be relevant in this sport by nefarious means. To be frank it doesn't bother me as an athlete. My attitude has never wavered in 31 years. I go into a race placing pressure on myself to do my best. To reflect the level of effort I have put in during the period prior to the race. If I get ebaten by a drug cheat so be it. I like Crowie's attitude; "You get what you deserve in this sport." if you get beat, you get beat. I got beaten on wednesday by a guy who I have admired for years and is amazing. He gave me a clinic on swim/running and was honoured to be in the race with him. He is a hard trainer and an incredible racer who happens to be as fast as Richard Varga in the water at 45 years of age. I know what he does in training and his pedigree reflects that ability. I do this sport to race people like him. Monday will be a triathlon and I have another crack at doing my best in another genre against him.

It is about hardcore age group racing. I know people look at the times and cannot relate to the numbers. That does not mean they are artificially contrived. That is the part that shits me. Some people are very, very good and work harder and more consistently than everyone else.

As an administrator it is extremely frustrating to know that people take PEDS and I wish we had the means to test and catch them. Unfortnately, at this stage, we don't.

• Like 2

so so funny, kevin moats busted. this is not a surpise given his rampant drafting (witnessed it first hand at kona previously) with his mirror.

Does he carry a mirror to see the draft busters?

His actions to affect other people - tell that to the guys who have gone home with a second place trophy at Kona how they feel - the person who missed out on Kona slot because this drug cheat took their spot.

- the person who missed out on Kona slot because this drug cheat took their spot.

He didn't take anyone's spot. WTC gave him a celebrity entry. It's for publicity and the good of the sport.

What a load of......

There is another thread on PED's in cycling which I haven't commented on (20 pages). It's only loosely connected to this topic.

Slowman said "the unfit ones ruin it for everyone unless weeded out."....I said it doesn't ruin it for everyone who races.

For example, it would not affect Slowman himself, and it would not affect me. It would be extremely disappointing if I missed a podium yes..

Does he carry a mirror to see the draft busters?

Yes, at every race. Attached to his aero helmet. Been doing it for decades.

Yes, at every race. Attached to his aero helmet. Been doing it for decades.

Sounds like this guy needs to take a good hard look at himself in his own mirror.

Edited by gulliver
  • Like 1

There is another thread on PED's in cycling which I haven't commented on (20 pages). It's only loosely connected to this topic.

Slowman said "the unfit ones ruin it for everyone unless weeded out."....I said it doesn't ruin it for everyone who races.

For example, it would not affect Slowman himself, and it would not affect me. It would be extremely disappointing if I missed a podium yes..

Actually you said

"And they don't ruin the sport for others"

not

"everyone"

and

"They ruin it for themselves"

I was merely stating that they do ruin the sport , or at least the experience, for some others, and not just themselves.

Maybe I'll have to get some of this? I wonder what's really in it?

http://www.bodyhealth.com/html/biobuilde/kevin4.asp

quote:

"With Master Amino Acid Pattern (MAP), I find I can train harder and recover better. I have been able to build muscle mass and minimize tendon soreness with MAP."

Actually you said

"And they don't ruin the sport for others"

not

"everyone"

and

"They ruin it for themselves"

I was merely stating that they do ruin the sport , or at least the experience, for some others, and not just themselves.

OK.

You are taking a very narrow view. Some guy in the US, sure not going to affect me in terms of results. Though speaking on the wider aspect of he culture of the sport it affects me and everyone in it. I watched the sport change in many ways and still think the early days still contained the very best atmosphere, we were mostly all friends out there racing and training and having a good time. This takes just a little more away from that.