gulliver

USADA charges Armstrong - Part 2 - "Reasoned Decision"

More UCI bullshit. Can someone explain how they can possibly get away with this kind of stuff?

Who does Pat McQuaid responds to? Is there a board of some sorts? Who decides that enough is enough?

WADA withdraws cooperation from UCI Independent Commission in protest

“There is further concern that the UCI has had too much influence over the terms of reference, which calls into question the Commission’s independence,” WADA stated. “The terms of reference were signed off by the UCI and the Commission without consultation with anti-doping authorities, while the requirement for the Commission to deliver its report to the UCI before any other party is unacceptable.”

However perhaps the most worrying aspect is WADA’s assertion that witnesses had no protection against punishment if they did volunteer information.

“Because the Commission does not offer immunity there is no incentive for witnesses to come forward, or to even give witness statements,” it said. “An approach that does not allow individuals to give evidence without the fear of retaliation will merely perpetuate the ‘omerta’ that has been an obstacle to cycling investigations in the past.”

WADA, USADA and Change Cycling Now had requested that these areas all be addressed, but the agency makes clear that it considered those requests to have been ignored.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13709/WADA-withdraws-cooperation-from-UCI-Independent-Commission-in-protest.aspx

I feel sorry for Johnnyboy212

just cracked his 3rd bottle of his favourite "hand" lotion :smile1:

he is REALLY loving this...

• Like 1

"I'm doing this for my kids. With news so accessible these days on the web, they'll be able to read any story they want. And i don't want them growing up and reading all these things about me and doping."

Could have been in Oprah interview but is a quote explaining the comeback in 2009.

Nothing off limits i guess.

More UCI bullshit. Can someone explain how they can possibly get away with this kind of stuff?

Who does Pat McQuaid responds to? Is there a board of some sorts? Who decides that enough is enough?

No, they are accountable to no one. All international federations of IOC sports are set up like this. The closest thing to an accountable body would be the IOC, but UCI has a heap of their management committee members on IOC boards as well.

It is a system that encourages cronyism to the extreme.

You are talking about a UCI president who was banned for life from competing in the Olympics because he went and raced in south Africa during apartheid under a false name. I wouldn't expect much.

I feel sorry for Johnnyboy212

just cracked his 3rd bottle of his favourite "hand" lotion :smile1:

he is REALLY loving this...

I purchased in bulk, i have had it on ice waiting for this....I will need to get some more come Friday....

Dont feel sorry for me, heaps of hand lotion to go round!

Apparently Lance Armstrong has been recieving an influx of love letters from excited inmates at Texas State Prison. Bubba says he cant wait to give Lance cuddles. :wub::wub:

Apparently Lance Armstrong has been recieving an influx of love letters from excited inmates at Texas State Prison. Bubba says he cant wait to give Lance cuddles. :wub::wub:

Special cuddles.....

• Like 1

When and where is it being aired please?

To save me trawling

Never mind, found it. 10am on discovery Chanel

Edited by duffs

According to klaus mueller the doping problem "existed in a small part of the cycling community at a long time past".

Yep. Alberto, frank, floyd, lance, vino, scarponi and on and on, are like so long ago...

I think mens road cycling should be dropped from olympics because the current leadership appears to be in denial. They are so conflicted in seeking to protect the sport they do not appear to be able to confront the reality of what appears to have been going on.

• Like 1

Anybody have any data or docs showing the links between "some spanish tennis players" and dodgy doctors?

Yep - here's one link:

rafael+nadal+shirtless.jpg

• Like 1

Guest C.C

Anybody have any data or docs showing the links between "some spanish tennis players" and dodgy doctors?

Re tennis players: Sam Stosur needs some anti choking drugs....

• Like 1

Didn't CAS decide it was fair and reasonable to assume that any successful Spanish sports person was a filthy cheat? I'm sure I saw that somewhere.

Fuentes made a statement to the media that he was peeved that only cyclists names were leaked from Operation Puerto. He said there were also footballers & tennis players.

http://elpais.com/diario/2006/07/05/deportes/1152050423_850215.html

Google translate does a reasonable job.

Garcie del Moral worked at a Tennis Academy in Valencia for a while, though after the USADA case broke, the ITF has warned players not to work with him.

Just put drugs and tennis into google & you'll be bombarded.

Fuentes made a statement to the media that he was peeved that only cyclists names were leaked from Operation Puerto. He said there were also footballers & tennis players.

http://elpais.com/di...423_850215.html

Google translate does a reasonable job.

Garcie del Moral worked at a Tennis Academy in Valencia for a while, though after the USADA case broke, the ITF has warned players not to work with him.

Just put drugs and tennis into google & you'll be bombarded.

"Bbbut he's the best doctor...that's why I am going to him"

He's apologised to Sally Jenkins...

Jenkins: Well, I think I knew the moment I read George Hincapie's affidavit — which I accept as completely truthful — and some of the other rider affidavits. I don't think you could have read the rider affidavits in the USADA report and not come to the conclusion that yeah, he did it. So the confession is important because it's Lance finally telling people like me. I've been hearing all this stuff from other people, and I've expressed to him that what has disappointed me most is to hear it from others and not from him. So I belong in the category of friend and associate, and I think that he's been doing a lot of apologizing to people like that in the last couple days. For better or worse, this is his moment to sort of let people hear it from him, rather than read it in a report or hear it in a broadcast.

Rose: Did he apologize to you?

Jenkins: He did. He did.

You should be getting a phone call any day now Hilly :lol:

• Like 1

Is now the time to go after Merckx, Hinault & Indurain? Or was it only Armstrong that doped?

• Like 1

Is now the time to go after Merckx, Hinault & Indurain? Or was it only Armstrong that doped?

:rolleyes::yawn:

They should all spend some quality with Bubba for a "soap finding session"

Edited by johnnyboy212
  • Like 1

Valid question, if the whole affair is about cleaning up the sport.

Do you think there is a small chance this whole thing is not about Lance but that he is in fact a big part of it, and also holds of a lot of interesting information that may help clean up the sport starting with the UCI?

Maybe you can enlighten us as to what going after Merckx, Hinault and Indurain would achieve?

It would go along way to proving that drug use in the sport has been going on a lot longer than the Mid 90's. And it has been a self perpetuating culture. I'm sure that it didn't start with Riis, Pantani & Armstrong in the TDF.

I'm not setting up a victims defence, but if the culture has been going for decades........ Maybe there was no room for clean Riders to achieve. Until the most recent times that seems to be the case. And that is a damning indictment on the UCI, more so than the riders.

All I am saying is don't stop with Armstrong. Look at them all. Bring down the UCI and expunge all the records and start from scratch. After all it's not all about LA is it.

It's never been just about LA, that's just what the fanboys keep repeating ;)

It would go along way to proving that drug use in the sport has been going on a lot longer than the Mid 90's. And it has been a self perpetuating culture. I'm sure that it didn't start with Riis, Pantani & Armstrong in the TDF.

I'm not setting up a victims defence, but if the culture has been going for decades........ Maybe there was no room for clean Riders to achieve. Until the most recent times that seems to be the case. And that is a damning indictment on the UCI, more so than the riders.

All I am saying is don't stop with Armstrong. Look at them all. Bring down the UCI and expunge all the records and start from scratch. After all it's not all about LA is it.

You don't need to prove drugs have been in cycling since before the mid 90's. Everybody already knows it. Drugs used to be allowed. They weren't banned until 1965, 1966 for the Tour. Not really enforced until after Simpson died in 1967. Even then there was no way of testing. It takes time to change culture. At least in cycling they are trying.

More background information.

Hein Vebruggen (former President of the UCI) was a client of Investment banker Thomas Weisel one of the Tailwind owners (team of USPS/DISCO etc).

If nothing else, a conflict of interests.

The culture change is coming from without. Not within.

Testing doesn't work. Armstrong was brought down by sworn testimony. Not testing.

Why not look back further? Do these guys deserve tainted titles?

At least in cycling they are trying.

"They"? Do you mean Pat Mcqaid and the wonderfull people at UCI?

If it wasnt for Travis Tygart and USADA Lance would still be galloping around on his high horse.

FIrst thing that needs to happen is Fat Pat and his gimps at the UCI should be sacked and they should have face court over this saga too... Chances of that happening 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

Drug taking in the professional ranks has been hugely widespread since the sport began. you don't need to prove that, its just a fact.

The change occurred around the late 80s and involved the onset of oxygen vector doping. Prior to this, both the best athlete would usually always stull win, regardless of doping and a clean athlete could still beat a doped one as the drugs made a smaller difference.

Pantani, Riis, Indurain, basically every winner from 1992 onwards used oxygen vector doping.

To me, Merckx, hinault, etc need to be looked at in a slightly different light that post 1992 athletes in that, yes they were all doping, however they were the ones deserving the wins as they were the strongest riders out there.

Topic Closed and split to part 3.

refer to - USADA verses Armstrong - Part 3 - "Oprah Interview"

before anybody complains, it's because it's easier for me.