yoyo

Jill Meagher

Everyone needs to be very careful with comments on social media so the case against him is not compromised at all.

I don't think that Facebook page is a very good idea.

Edited by AA7
  • Like 3

So sad.

Impossible to imagine the terror she went through, and the agony her loved ones are now dealing with.

There seems to be a massive reaction to this one case. Hard to see how anything could possibly change as a result of it, but maybe people have just had enough of this sort of thing happening.

Feeling very sad today. My heart goes out to Jill's family and her friends. So sad that you cannot simply go about your life and enjoy it without having to worry.

You can and should go about your life without worry. Being afraid gives the cowards like this guy the power.

Do you really think this type of pissant has any power? He has no power in my eyes.

Sadly it doesnt TC, they already have it, its just a ticking timebomb and a roll of the dice.

Do you really think this type of pissant has any power? He has no power in my eyes.

That's why I called him a coward - because he picked on a very petite woman who had no chance of defending herself.

Thommo just like u and i, he has/had the power to take anothers life.

That's why I called him a coward - because he picked on a very petite woman who had no chance of defending herself.

Yes, I get where you are coming from. Though imparting 'power' upon him sits uncomfortably with me. He is a screwed up individial and weak opportunist who needs to be removed.

My comment about 'power' relates to the perspective reflected from every woman who's talking about this tragedy. They all say how they will think twice about going anywhere alone. It's sad that people think in terms of being a potential victim.

My thoughts are that we all need to be vigilant and look out for each other. If you see something that doesn't sit right in your gut, don't hesitate in being pro-active and report it or step in. I'd rather make a goose of myself than find out that a person did in fact need help.

If you see something that doesn't sit right in your gut, don't hesitate in being pro-active and report it or step in. I'd rather make a goose of myself than find out that a person did in fact need help.

Agree with that, though last time I did, I found myself facing the blade of a nice orange Stanley knife :sleepy: Still, it likely stopped some unsuspecting driver having their head caved in by a rock.

There are some evil people in the world who will target whomever they can. It reminds me a bit of the Cobby murder where they had pre-meditated they were going to kill someone and it was just a matter of choosing a victim. The odds of being a victim are incredibly low but avoiding risky situations will make them even lower.

I feel terribly for her family - husband, brother, parents - and particularly for her, a life of potential lost way too young.

Very, very sad situation for all involved.

I know that there is nothing anyone could have done to prevent this tragedy, but the pollies need to make sure that laws are in place that people like that dog spend the rest of their lives rotting in gaol.

I was out of the country when this all started and only got back yesterday so have not been following it as it moved along, only retrospectively.

These things always scare us the most. She was not your typical victim. She was everything that we as mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, husbands, children would want our loved ones to be. She seems to have been a strong, confident, intelligent, together woman and that scares the shit out of us because it means that you can still be a victim of this sort of individual no matter what. You don't need to be vulnerable to be vulnerable. It scares us in the same way terrorism scares us. It reminds us that no-one is safe.

Terrible, terrible event and my heart goes out to all those affected whether family or just concerned observer.

Terrible, terrible situation.

Unfortunately it will eventually come out that the alleged perpetrator should not have been walking the streets.

Didn't take long. Out on parole apparently.

Back in 01/02 got 10 yrs for beijg a serial rapist. Raped 14+ prostitutes

Top bloke.

I'm not a believer in capitol punishment but don't know why someone like this shouldn't be castrated.

Because this isn't truely just a sexual crime. If you took that away from them, they would just do something else. It's their bigger head that needs castration!

Look at it this way. He has done hard time before so the though of going back inside didn't deter him. To him gaol isn't punishment.

So what's the answer? Longer sentences?

I'm going to say gaol is to soft.

ChuckieM tell us. Other than boredom/loss of liberty what's the punishment? I heard they get tv and video games in the rooms. This true?

As others have said its so crap on so many levels.

The suburb this took place is next door to mine.

My wife, similar age, similar some of the things that obviously Jill did.

I don't get the theory it gives the guy power. He probably wasn't seeking it (long term I mean) but I feel so sorry for the husband and the insinuation tHat may has been caused due to the different reporting (which in this case was hourly updates) for 5day straight.

My training rides pass only 1k from where Jill was reported to be found. There's murders most days and everyone is heinous as the next but some hit home and this one does.

I feel for all directly affected by this.

I can't understand why if he's a repeat offender that he was put back on the streets? You'd have to be angry that this could have been prevented. Unfortunately there are too many "what ifs" around this case. I feel sad and sour about the world.

How many second chances should a person get? Another innocent life is taken and more lives changed forever. Some people give up their rights to be part of society.

He's obviously married (clear wedding band on whilst in the plods car) and I read has a child. How the honk should they feel? His extended family and the shame that would bring.

Anyhow, it was moving the march that was held today.

How many second chances should a person get? Another innocent life is taken and more lives changed forever. Some people give up their rights to be part of society.

In our "civilised" society, about 400 it seems....

With this story I have read a number of different reports in the media that there have been multiple females approached (probably the accused), but these have not been reported. It takes 10 minutes to ring crimestoppers. Even though it might not sound like a worthy thing (being approached) to report to Police, It will alert police in the local area to an emerging problem. Even just a couple of the victims reporting the incidents to Police, the very least the Police will do in response is increase patrols. Depending on what was reported, an investigation will start.

The message should be spread that this is what crimestoppers is for - ph: 1800 333 000.

Don't think that I'm blaming the victims, there are many reasons why they didn't think of reporting it at the time.

Yes, I know there are many other ways in the which the ultimate crime could have been stopped from occurring - ie castration, longer prison sentences, etc. but calling crimestoppers is one way to help stop an emerging problem.

Eric

A crazy things these days is that alot of girls are becomming so conditioned to being hassled by guys out in the drink that it has somehow become "normal" and "acceptable".

Speaking to a few ladies at a bar last night and they seem oblivious to the number of fruitcakes and loose cannons out there. Guys that just become aggressive nutjobs when theyre on the jars....

Guys that just become aggressive nutjobs when theyre on the jars....

I can clearly remember 2 of these types of idiots at Uni.

One was a big bloke who would start lashing out at girls or any bloke half his size when pissed - a real hero.

Another, I informed that what he was telling me he was intending to do to a girl in our year at a B&S Ball would amount to rape.....thankfully, he got it <_<

A crazy things these days is that alot of girls are becomming so conditioned to being hassled by guys out in the drink that it has somehow become "normal" and "acceptable".

Which is why that behaviour should not be acceptable as it should not have to be put up with.

I can't remember the details, but I was reading an article a while back about an Aussies' observations of Japanese culture. The writer noticed that in Tokyo groups of small children walked to school unaccompanied. The writer asked a shop keeper, "Who is looking after those children?" The shop keeper replied, "We are all looking out for them." Wouldn't it be great if more people started thinking like that in Aus. Imagine if we felt that motorists were looking after us when we ride our bikes rather than feeling threatened by their intolerance.

I'm not sure if my perceptions changed since the Jill Meagher tragedy, but over the weekend whilst I was either riding, running or driving around town I felt that people were kinder and more courteous. I noticed a lot more people said hello when I was running in particular. I also felt sorry for any men that were out walking on the trails and wondered if they felt uneasy - as if I would be cautious of them or something like that.

A man told me once that he likes bushwalking but ended up buying a dog because people were less suspicious of a man walking a dog on the trails than a man walking alone.

Can someone please explain to me why this particular case has got so much traction in the media and community in general?

As I previously said, it is a very, very sad situation, but in all reality, it isnt the first rape/murder of a young female in melbourne, and chances are, it wont be the last, so why all the attention in this case?

And before anyone goes off half cocked, I think all the attention is a good thing and the guy deserves to die (If that was my wife or daughter,I would happily pull the trigger and sleep very well at night), I just dont remember another instance where everyone is so disgusted.

Initial traction due to colleagues in the media industry.

The snowball effect is interesting though.

Can someone please explain to me why this particular case has got so much traction in the media and community in general?

As I previously said, it is a very, very sad situation, but in all reality, it isnt the first rape/murder of a young female in melbourne, and chances are, it wont be the last, so why all the attention in this case?

And before anyone goes off half cocked, I think all the attention is a good thing and the guy deserves to die (If that was my wife or daughter,I would happily pull the trigger and sleep very well at night), I just dont remember another instance where everyone is so disgusted.

Also i think some people may have thought initially the husband may have had something to do with it

She worked for ABC, so as soon as she was missing it went straight to media. Any of the ABC people I follow on Twitter were spreading the word v. early, before it hit the mainstream.

I've removed post that related to the accussed's past.

Whilst it has been publicised elsewhere it's been suggested to me that it's best not to add it.

This has been such a sad, sad story. My husband and I are now buying a car for our daughter who is a Uni student. She had been catching buses (including at night) but this has been a frightening reminder that nobody is really safe. You can be attacked anywhere, anytime. Whilst we can't protect her from the world's evil hopefully, we can minimise the risk for our daughter.

I think the reason this touched such a nerve with the public is because this poor lady's last moments were clearly captured on CCTV. All of a sudden it was very real and looking at this petite woman and how vulnerable she looked was very upsetting.

My heart goes out to her friends and family. This must be like living through a nightmare that you just don't wake up from. :(

Article in the paper this morning about a large increase in the number of women signing up for self defence classes in the last week. Might be better for your daughter than a car (or get both) as sooner or later they break down or you have to get out to fuel up etc. Plenty of good classes out there run by women that can give some really good basics on what to look out for, and simple things to do to give them enough time to get out of a situation.

The question of whether this case deserves more attention than any of the others is a moot point to me. Simply any attention to this topic is worthwhile.

• Like 1

I hope this makes all the states take a good hard look at who walks out the gate of our prisons on parole. There are thousands of recidivist offenders that are continuing to offend when they should not be on our streets. Our justice system needs is not just about punishing offenders but protecting the law abiding members of our society.

• Like 1

I am still surprised that Australia hasn't gone down the route of selling jails to be run by private companies.

I am 'guessing' the let them out early etc.. is due to crowding of jails.

I am still surprised that Australia hasn't gone down the route of selling jails to be run by private companies.

I am 'guessing' the let them out early etc.. is due to crowding of jails.

I work for Corrective Services in Qld (and Emergency Services) and there are a couple of privately run jails up here. I worked in one for awhile and whilst I haven't worked in any of the Govt run jails I don't think they're that different. There's certainly nowhere near the overcrowding you see in American jails. I wonder if the issue is more to do with offenders previous crimes not being admissable? It's not my area but isn't each offence treated as a new and seperate crime?