Cramp/ Pain in the top of my calf bottom of hamstring when cycling

Clydesdale

Hi Guys and Girls,

Ive searched what I can on the net and on the forum for info on this and have been struggling to find anything. So hopefully someone on here will be able to help. I'm off to the physio this afternoon as well.

Went for my usual long ride on Sat 120km with hills. Been in full training since May so have been feeling really good. About 70km in I started to get a cramp like feeling/ sharp pain in the top of the middle of my left calf, on upward lift of the pedalling motion. I had no choice but to put up with it till I got home( out in the middle of no where) so continued for about 50km more.

Had a little bit of trouble walking up stairs on the Sunday but the pain has pretty much disappeared over the past few days. I do plenty of Hammy and calf stretching.

The only time I can replicate the issue is when i stand up and kick my leg from 90 degrees to straight.

Hopefully someone has had this issue before and can give me some help as I cant find anything on it.

I have the Gran Fondo in Lorne on the 16th so really want to get on top of it.

maybe you need new cleats or tighten the bolts. Or maybe you did a hard run or ride the days leading up which could affect this. I had this pain when I did 5 days of riding in a row and found that when I changed riding shoes over that may have a different cleat position under neath, the pain dissappeared.

I've been riding for 4 years now and never had the issue before. During Winter big run session is Thursday night, but it hasn't caused any issues before.

My shoes are getting old (new set of custom Bonts on the way) I have size 52 feet! Just checked the cleats the left one is slightly more worn than the right one........... might change them just to be sure.

Ahh one thing I forgot to mention was the bike was recently serviced and my seat had a crack in the rail. Arione Tri 2. So I had to put the Arione road seat back on. I thought that I adjusted the seat down to make up for the extra padding not being there any more. I did have it a touch high so adjusted as I went on an easy flat ride. The following week went out for 130km ride no issues actually set a whole load of PB up some of the climbs around Melb. Then the week after this issue arises.

Might take it into the LBS to get the seat height checked. This would be the only change to the bike that has been made in over 2 years.

I must sound like a nutcase but have been training to go under 4 hours for the Fondo last year did it in 4.15 and everything has been going great till Sat!!!

maybe you need new cleats or tighten the bolts. Or maybe you did a hard run or ride the days leading up which could affect this. I had this pain when I did 5 days of riding in a row and found that when I changed riding shoes over that may have a different cleat position under neath, the pain dissappeared.

How long till the pain went away?

You should not get this pain, so something is wrong. It is either you or the bike. Sounds like we are leaning to the bike. If you mucked around with the saddle that would be my first thought and my guess would be that it is too high. Make sure you are still have a bit of a bend in your knee for ALL positions during the crank rotation - including a lowered heel at the bottom of the stroke.

Probably 2-3 days, I have 2 pairs of bike shoes, one which cleats were sized up by a sports scientist who did my bike fit, and are my tri shoes (Shimano) and the other pair are road bike shoes, (Sidi), I just winged it to save some money and tried to identify the cleat position. So now when I ride over 60ks I aways ride with the Shimano's. It took me 3 days to figure out it was the shoes, so the 4th day I road the others and the pain was there but no where near as sharp or intense.

But when I went back to the tri shoes that were fitted the issue went away. Couldn't tell exactly but the pain was quite excruciating, pretty much behind the knee. I stopped riding for 3 days and was ok after that, although did a 2hr run which didn't affect the pain at all.

Hope this helps. I think you changing your seat height probably has affected this, you should put it back to where it was to be safe.

Thanks Pete gunna head up the road to get the saddle height reset as a starting point. Fingers crossed its only a minor strain and Im sweet for the 16th.

Don't forget that moving the seat forward (or sitting forward) is akin to moving it down, and moving it back is effectively raising your saddle so check where you sit on it as well - it may be that everything else is the same but you naturally sit back on the road saddle (I know I do) and forward on a tri saddle. :idea:

Good luck with the grande fondo - wish I was doing it but simply can't fit it in :(

Don't forget that moving the seat forward (or sitting forward) is akin to moving it down, and moving it back is effectively raising your saddle so check where you sit on it as well - it may be that everything else is the same but you naturally sit back on the road saddle (I know I do) and forward on a tri saddle. :idea:

Good luck with the grande fondo - wish I was doing it but simply can't fit it in :(

thanks Pete hope it goes well. It was one of the best organised rides I did last year. To have 120km of closed roads is great!

Great news Physio said no tear. the pain/ cramp was my hamstring/ calf fatiguing. Few needles to release the muscle and voila!!! so relieved.

Also found that due to a loose PCL my hammy needs to work harder on the same leg to stabilise the knee.

Very interesting.

Now I just need to get my seat height back to the correct heigh. Is it better to tart lower and work up or high and work down??

Thanks Pete. Doesn't everyone prefer working from the bottom up with a tart :smile1:

Seriously though went for a run tonight and didn't get more than 1km into my warm up and the pain returned its def gotta be my hammy as it pings when its stopping my leg extending too far, but the pain is at the top of my calf. Off to the Physio in the morning. 10 days to get it right.

I'm feeling a tad nervous! Will be gutted if the last 4 months of work goes down the drain.

Yoyo makes a good point, I have an insert in my shoe to compensate for a shorter leg. I use this insert for both running and riding.

me too - always used to get cramps in the left calf

if one leg is shorter it has to reach/overcompensate

either that or your seat is too high

Strained Poplitus muscle. Been massaging and foam rolling it has ended up very tender to touch. Hopefully it means Ive got the muscle to release and now just need to get over the soreness.

Anyone on here had a "pop" injury and how long did it take to recover from.

7 days left...........

Archived