Ayto

Great Wall Vehicles - Anyone had any experience with them?

After being made redundant from my previous job back in May, I have finally secured a new role and will be starting in the next few weeks.

All my previous roles over the last 10 years or so have come with a company vehicle. This new role is offering a package including a "tax free vehicle allowance" so I need to buy a vehicle.

At this stage I have no idea what I want, except to say that I need something that will fit a minimum of 5 and room for my bike(s) or capacity to carry on the roof.

A mate of mine is a dealer for these Great Walls and thought I would check them out as I have always thought a dual cab ute would be awesome, but couldn't justify the price tag of a Navara / Colorado / Triton et al.

So went for a drive in the Dual cab V200 diesel (6 speed manual - 2wd), which was pretty good. Specced up with what I would want (Cruise/bluetooth/towbar/tub liner etc etc) would be looking at $28.5k drive away..........not bad in comparison to the other models mentioned above.

Whilst there I took the opportunity to drive the X200 Diesel Auto SUV 4wd they have on offer. This thing has plenty of things included standard (reversing camera/bluetooth/cruise/auto wipers/auto headlights etc etc). Add a towbar and you a looking at $30.5k drive away............a heap of vehicle for the price.

so, my questions are:

- anyone got/had one and what was your experience like?

- anyone know of any issues or problems with these things?

- I probably know the answer to this, but anyone have any idea of what re sale value would be like?

- Anything else I have missed?

This is the first thing I have looked at (as stated because a mate of mine is the dealer) so my mind is not set on anything in particular, so anyone have any suggestions as what represents good value. Budget is circa $30k, new or low km second hand.

Fire away and thanks in advance.

Cheers

Ayto

Hey mate,

I had one as a work car, 4wd dual cab ute. I thought it was great, very capable off road with low range gearbox, well spec'd for the money - power windows/mirrors, a/c, alloys wheels etc.

Everyone wanted to tell me how bad they were which was always funny, I'd just ask them if they'd driven one, of course they hadn't so I'd just laugh at them and walk away. It only had a 4 cyl engine but still went well enough, I'm told they are hard on fuel but I never paid any attention to that as I didn't pay for it.

There were definitely issues with fit and finish that you see in most cheaper cars but nothing that really bothered me. The only thing I would criticise is the paint quality, it looked fine but it either wasn't very 'tough' or it was just too thin, I will admit I was pretty hard on it, I took it off road a bit and I live right near the beach so it copped a lot of salt but after a year or so it had quite a few fine scratches from the bush and a few spots of rust.

I don't have it anymore so not sure how it would have gone in the long run, but I think if you looked after it and gave it a wash occasionally you would probably avoid the issues I saw.

A car is only as good as it's warranty.

Start there any you'll be more informed.

(I have no idea on the vehicle, it's just a statement for a suggested approach to your research)

There were definitely issues with fit and finish that you see in most cheaper cars

My old man has 2, one 4wd wagon and one 4wd ute, he uses them as company cars too.

I have driven the wagon a couple of times, agree with schooey on the finish.

Things that bugged me - wipers seemed dodgy as - just not effecient\effective.

Gear stick about 30-50cm in front of where I felt it should be.

Why do you have to buy a vehicle due to the allowance would be the first question you should be asking. If you actually need it for travelling for business then fair enough, and I assume you've had other means for transport over the last few months and will that suffice? Companies sometimes package in car allowances (like my present employer) on some positions, but do not have any expectation for the allowance to actually be used for a vehicle directly. Car allowances generally are not given tax free either, so you might want to be questioning that a bit more, just cause they don't tax it at the time of payment, doesn't mean you won't have a tax bill at the end of the year. All car allowances I've seen not taxed have been only when the employee gets the approval from the ATO and has it renewed on a yearly basis.

Seen a few being sold second hand, not seen one priced over $16.5K to give you an idea on the current resale value, including ones under a year old with low kms. They haven't been on the market long enough to really know whether they are good enough, I looked at them for similar reasons 6 months ago and decided to go with something with history. I've also heard numerous reports that they aren't the quietest vehicle to drive, so compare that if it is important to you

Now if you had looked at the Mahindra vehicles which are in a similar price range and market, my advice to you would be to run away

Hi Ayto

Well done on the job. Happy to comment and hope that it provides some assistance.

“role is offering a package including a "tax free vehicle allowance" so I need to buy a vehicle.”

Why do you need to buy a ‘new’ car? “leave ya money on the fridge” an turn up in the ol’ HQ. It’s no more thirsty than your Crew Cab proposal which you will run on an ‘allowance’

Beware the said "tax free vehicle allowance". Respectfully suggest that you want need to document that very well. Not quite unusual but needs an ATO ruling for your specific so suggest that any deal that says tax free comes with ‘protection’ and in the event of any surprises like the $13k invoice from the ATO you will be protected and not out of pocket. Also ensure the said allowance is sufficient to cover all of your running costs for your presumably ‘business use’.

“fit a minimum of 5 and room for my bike(s) or capacity to carry on the roof.”

Remember as the rear seat occupants grow you will need genuine space (as opposed the sales reps, hey look at that mate 3 in the back easy J) and the foot space is restricted, shoulder space is tight for the 10yr olds, and the seats are uncomfortable. Would question the comfort of most ‘crew cabs’

“A mate of mine is a dealer for these Great Walls”

There are NO mates in the industry, not even if you are getting free time with his wife. If you are set on The Wall the quotes are retail, you don’t have a trade, its winter (read slow), he hasn’t even dipped into his margin, and you haven’t even shopped him ….yet. I’m not even going to seriously visit the dealer guide and the ‘retained value’ of your investment but suggest that you look at the used sale price and reduce that by 20%.

Oh genuine 5 seater, $30k budget with bike space, there are a few but hard to go past lo k Commode/Pord – wagon. (there are more depending upon your pref. Would all come with Tooth, Clunk, Air, Fast Glass all you will need is a Hook.

Sorry for the negative feedback but it was about cars and you did ask. Beware free advice often as valuable as its cost J and for the rest don’t spank me, hate the game not the player and help Ayto with some objective assessment.

As a comparison, I have a hilux dual cab, 2005 model, had it since new, has 250,000+ ks on it and has not had anything other than regular services, brakes and tyres.

We have a fleet of 5 of them all with similar k's and all with similar service histories. Bloody amazing cars 1.25 million k's without a fault. All as company vehicles too so not treated with kid gloves.

Recently one was crashed pretty badly and when the insurance co. assessed it it wasnt written off as apparently they are still worth 15-16 k even with 250k kms on them.

Yes they are dearer but to a great extent you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all of the responses so far guys. Really appreciate it.

To clarify a few bits and pieces that have been asked above:

- I have a meeting with my new regional manager late this week to discuss the offer etc, and I will be clarifying the "tax free" allowance. I will also do my research and check with the ATO etc so I know what I am up for.

- Cotton eyes - I do need a vehicle as I don't have one at present. I have been lucky enough to have been able to borrow my girlfriends car since I've not been working, however this was always only temporary. I need to get something sorted even more now as she has just sold her business and the work vehicle went with it, so I need to get hers back.

- Trunkz - no I don't have to buy new at all and I am looking at a few options. TBH my original thought was to go the ever reliable low kilometre Holden wagon or the like. Also considering low kilometer Rav's / Captiva's etc etc. So in short, no, it ddoesn't have to be new.

- I have an appointment with my accountant Friday to have a chat regarding options re buying or leasing etc, so doing my research in that regard as well.

I am well aware that you get what you pay for, hence why I asked the questions in my original post.My heart is not set on these things in any way, shape or form. Just thought they would be worth having a look at (I AM unemployed - need to fill in my day somehow :) )

So, given that we all agree that you get what you pay for and that there are probably some better options out there based on history of brand etc, anyone care to make some suggestions as to what i should / could be looking at?

As stated earlier, budget is up to $30k (cheaper the better), seats 5, room for bike and / or roof mounted. New or used low km's, reliable, good warranty, decent priced servicing etc etc

Have no particular loyalty to brand or whether sedan, wagon, ute or 4WD/AWD.

So there you are kids - have at it.

And thanks again to those who have responded already.

Cheers

Edited by Ayto

I bought an 2WD 06 hilux 90k kms D4D from Mannheim auctions for 14k a couple years ago.

Pretty bullet proof vehicles. Can't fault it.

Good luck

A new Hilux is a rip off any way you look at it. Almost all are sold to either businesses or mining companies. Not many sold private as they are just too dear.

BUT they would also be the only ute I would buy second hand (besides a landcrusier which is useless for you).

Ive got 2 Navaras (3l D22 dual cab and a D40 kingcab) and while they are both great, I wouldnt buy either 2nd hand.

The 3l D22 are starting to get a bit long in the tooth now and unless you could find a very low k vehicle, the potential for high repair costs cant be ignored (mine has almost 300,000k's on it and the only thing Ive done to it is a triple core radiator as it tended to run a bit warm towing my old bobcat, and a neutral position switch in the gearbox ~$50).

The D40 is a very peaky motor for such a heavy vehicle (mine unloaded is almost 2000kgs) so people tend to flog them like its a petrol motor. Not good when buying second hand.

I run the IZUZU Dual Cab...3.0 Diesil Automatic..marketed as Rodeo in Australia...bought it 2nd hand 6 yrs ago....36, 000....approximately $22k I paid...

I would not touch a Made in China clone...just to save 20% as you said...totally false savings.

havent seen a single great wall car in China yet .. just sayin :)

Ive never seen anyone in Australia drink Fosters!

• Like 1

Personally, I'd steer away from them until they get a better Dealer Network. From experience of driving a Saab in Australia, it's a long way between dealers if something breaks down ... like the time my 900 dropped reverse gear in Forster - not too many dealers around there, but luckily I managed to limp back to Melbourne without a problem.

It is a critical mass issue, but I would allow someone else to help develop the network and then jump on board once established and if the product is right.

As for new, I'd never buy new - let someone else wear the depreciation!

Just my 2p worth.

kinda tells you something doesnt it ?

Yeah, I learned in hindsight (wonderful thing that!), but when you see your dad walk away from a totalled Saab without a scratch (they could only salvage the ignition key), it presents a different picture.

My point with the Great Wall is a bit like Hyundai in 1985 when they sold 85 vehicles in total in Australia - it's brave to be an early adopter.

At least Saab had a dedicated dealer franchise when I had mine.

As for new, I'd never buy new - let someone else wear the depreciation!

Just my 2p worth.

Depends on what you are buying.

Personal vehicle I would be happy to buy second hand (and always have up until recently, only because new car prices are so low ATM).

I always buy new work vehicles. When you cant afford to have it off the road, I wouldnt risk buying a work vehicle second hand, but thats just me

Yeah, I learned in hindsight (wonderful thing that!), but when you see your dad walk away from a totalled Saab without a scratch (they could only salvage the ignition key), it presents a different picture.

Saw a segment on top gear where they dropped a 3 series upside down onto its roof and the roof just disappeared.

Dropped a Saab in the same way and it barely left a mark! :blink:

Thanks for all the reponses so far guys.

At this stage, still looking at options. Speaking with my accountant as to what the best option is.

Will update here once I know what's what if anyone is interested.

cheers

Don't know if something is going on at the moment, however work here just got a crazy discount on a few Navara dual cabs. Might be worth looking at whether they are in run out at the moment.

At the price work got them for, I would have taken them in a flash

• Like 1

Saw a segment on top gear where they dropped a 3 series upside down onto its roof and the roof just disappeared.

Dropped a Saab in the same way and it barely left a mark! :blink:

Just goes to show how silly anecdotes will cloud your judgement. The three series has a significantly higher ANCAP score than any SAAB ie objective testing has found it to be safer. Further, the SAAB is a dog to drive whereas the 3 series is one of the best handling cars on the road. In any case people ultimately voted with their feet - Saab went down the toilet whereas the BMW Group experienced the best year of its corporate history in 2011, selling 1,668,982 cars..

Righto Kids,

After heaps of research mainly around the allowance and how it works, the original thought process changed a little.

Basically, in my particular case, the allowance is paid tax free up front, and then all expenses (including depreciation and the like) is offset as a tax deduction, meaning that come tax time, the allowance will have been received tax free PROVIDED you have accumlated enough expenses (in my case circa $11k). Given I need to buy a vehicle accumulating this wont be a problem.

So, when all the sums were done by my accountant (based on a few assumptions of usage etc) it was identified to accumulate enough expenses I had a budget of $35 to $40k to spend on a vehicle to make the allowance tax free. I know you need to still pay for the thing and all running expenses, but more on that in a minute.

After doing a heap of research online, I then hit the car years and started test driving........everything from the Colorado, Kluger, Sorrento, X-Trail, Subaru XV, Captiva, you name it. In the end I have decided on the Captiva 7 LX, the top of the range model with everything that opens and shuts etc etc. No way known I would have paid full price for it, but clearly it is a buyers market at present, cars are moving slow and it was the last few days of the month and I ended up negotiating a deal pretty much smack bang in the middle of the budget. Add it towbar, roof racks and a few bits and pieces and it still come within budget. So, it was ordered on Monday and we are now awaiting delivery.

After doing the reasearch and looking at a few options, I have picked out something that is going to suit me and the kids down to the ground and will last me a while. Would have loved to go for the new Colorado, but honestly if I am fair dunkum with myself, it was wanted more for the fact I have always wanted a big ute like that............not because I need it or it would suit me best, so i have definately made the right decision.

As I stated earlier, I know I still need to pay for the thing, but it should be noted that any expenses over and above the vehicle allowance amount also remains a tax deduction and will effectively reduce taxable income.

I have calculated that based on a few assumptions as identified above, the brand new vehicle and running costs (inc. finance repayments, rego, insurance, fuel, maintenance, tyres etc etc) will cost me $75 per week (above the vehicle allowance payment). Effectively circa $4k per annum which will reduce my taxable income by that amount also.

So all in all, I think that it has worked out well in my personal circumstances. Interesting exercise to go through. Learned a heap going through the research so hopefully will know more next time I need to do it.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Much appreciated.

Cheers

Ayto

At least we know that the seal wont blow out. Asbestos was a great product for gaskets. Not so good for health.

Bit of a dig up but I am looking to replace the (t)rusty old ford....

I bought an 2WD 06 hilux 90k kms D4D from Mannheim auctions for 14k a couple years ago.

Pretty bullet proof vehicles. Can't fault it.

Good luck

Do you organize for an inspection or just bid? What is the process with this? It seems as though it could be very expensive to organize an inspection for each vehicle you plan to purchase.

http://www.manheim.c...SQ&Location=VIC

Search through the ex govt vehicles, $30K budget I would go max of $25 and keep $5 over for anything that needs fixing, doubt you will need it.

Heaps of dual cabs and the like there to get you going

Does anyone else have experience with this? Melbourne is closer to my location but I would need to register the car in NSW, would this be a major problem?

Sticks, you can obtain a single trip permit to get the vehicle back to NSW. You can then get the RTA equivalent of a VicRoads 28 day permit to get the vehicle roadworthied and registered in NSW. I'd check with the RTA about this process. At Manheim's the vehicles can be inspected prior to auction. To bid you have to register, or you can engage a trader to source the vehicle on your behalf. I am sure there are similar auction companies in NSW. Google is your friend.

I haven't been to the auctions for a few years, so things may have changed a little bit.

Bit of a dig up but I am looking to replace the (t)rusty old ford....

Do you organize for an inspection or just bid?

Each vehicle had a detailed inspection and report on it. I also got my father in law to go check it out.

The Toyota 3l d4d are pretty reliable donks

Edit to say, I just put in an offer rather than waiting for the actual auction, which the vendor accepted. I probably could've got it for a little bit cheaper but I wasn't in perth to attend and the father in law couldn't make the Saturday auction.

Edited by duffs