Sign in to follow this  
SMF

great ocean road marathon

Shooting down the West Coast this weekend to watch the Great Ocean Road marathon.

Has anyone done this, and interested to hear some tips on how you tackled the course and what you thought of it

I'm doing it for the 5th time, as a good training day. Pray it is not 45km of headwind like it has often been. There's a few rolling hills in the first half but the 2 biggest hills after out Kennett River, after halfway. But by 30km point it is mostly flat'ish for the rest of the way. Run it like you would any other marathon...consistently. It's not a PB course (unless you have a soft PB), but it also isn't mountainous and slow. Highest elevation is about 50m.

Might see you guys down there. I will be in South Melbourne Wheres Wally colours and if its not windy I will give the Trannies hat an outing.

Am only doing the half due to a recovering hamstring injury. Good luck in the full everyone!

Think half kick off around 7:30 so full perhaps is at 7. All I know is that I have to be on a bus leaving Apollo Bay at 6:00am. I should be awake by the time I hit the first hill.

For those doing the mara that extends thru to 45kms, i hear alot of the runners shut off when they cross over 42.2km mark, maybe a bit psychological. Save something for the extra 2.8k or so !

For those doing the mara that extends thru to 45kms, i hear alot of the runners shut off when they cross over 42.2km mark, maybe a bit psychological. Save something for the extra 2.8k or so !

I think that is because a lot of runners only care about their traditional 42.2k time and just trot or walk to the end.

I am usually down there for the race and was supposed to be doing the 14k run on Saturday but my did is having his hip replaced on Thursday up in Shep so we are heading up there to visit him.

Good luck to everyone racing. I'm sorry I wont be standing in my usual spot at Skenes Ck hanging s%^t, I mean supporting everyone I know :smile1:

I'm doing it for the 5th time, as a good training day. Pray it is not 45km of headwind like it has often been. There's a few rolling hills in the first half but the 2 biggest hills after out Kennett River, after halfway. But by 30km point it is mostly flat'ish for the rest of the way. Run it like you would any other marathon...consistently. It's not a PB course (unless you have a soft PB), but it also isn't mountainous and slow. Highest elevation is about 50m.

I've only done the half, but found the undulations conducive to a fast time. But then again, I probably did have a soft PB.