Sign in to follow this  
AndyBoy25

Sydney Bunch Rides

I am up in Sydney this week and i brought along my bicycle so I would like to get out on the road for a few rides, can anybody give me a few suggestions for Bunch Rides in Sydney this week?

Keen to hit the road any morning or evening this week, somewhere around the city or the north shore area.

I was told by a mate that there is a Bunch Ride that does laps of Centennial Park every morning from about 5-5:30. Is this true??? and if so, can somebody give me the details (start and finish locations, plus sprint points if there are any, coffee locations post ride etc...)

Thanks for the help

Thanks for that mate. I might make it to the ride on Thursday. I'm on a roadie for the week so I should fit in nicely.

Does anybody know anything about a daily Centennial Park ride that just does laps of the park? I've heard its nice and fast, which is what I am looking for.

Thanks for that mate. I might make it to the ride on Thursday. I'm on a roadie for the week so I should fit in nicely.

Does anybody know anything about a daily Centennial Park ride that just does laps of the park? I've heard its nice and fast, which is what I am looking for.

Park speed limit is 30.

Used to be Tues & Thurs EVENINGs, usually from about 5 or so on. No formal meeting place, just ride around and tag on the bunch when it comes past.

There are quite a few groups in the park in the mornings, doing various things. Most clubs start at the park and head off somewhere else though.

Depending on where you are located on the North Shore you also have the options of the Boundary Road rides - that leave from Boundary Road Chatswood of a morning.

You also have the Manly Warringah bunch rides that leave from MAnly at 5:30am every morning.

I'll be at Coluzzi Thur. Wouldn't reccomend it if you havent ridden down here before.

Well I went out with the Coluzzi ride this morning and I must say....... It was a f'n horrible ride!

I must have been spoilt by great riding in Melb, but I have never been able to find any good riding locations in Sydney.

I was expecting a good fast ride this morning, but with the constant twists and turns of the Coluzzi route and the HEAVY TRAFFIC there was never a chance for any fast paced constant pedaling! I kept waiting for a paceline to form and the speed to pickup, but nothing! Then on the last 10-15km we were just weaving in and out of traffic.

Someone tell me why this ride doesn't leave at 5:30 to avoid all the traffic along South Dowling???

Don't know much about the Boundary ride - but i believe that it leaves at 6am from Boundary Road just under the railway bridge off Pacific Highway at 6am. About an hour and a half loop i believe.

Well I went out with the Coluzzi ride this morning and I must say....... It was a f'n horrible ride!

Coluzzi is an urban ride.

If your in the northern area go up to kuring-gai national park, Akuna Bay/West Head. or head out around the Gorges (Bobbin Head, Galston Gorge, Arcadia, Berowra back to Bobbin Head) or a variation of that.

There are loads of good (and safe) cycling places in Sydney.

People often criticise Sydney but they simply don't go cycling in suitable areas and then wonder why..

TrevS, you mentioned that it is an urban ride, meaning innder suburbs?

Are there any good chances to get a decent ride in as a pack in Urban Sydney (half decent speed)?

Tues and thurs leave from caringbah at 5am 50-70k pretty much a paceline from the get go. Lots of locals do it

Edited by Coach@triathlon

TrevS, you mentioned that it is an urban ride, meaning inner suburbs?

Are there any good chances to get a decent ride in as a pack in Urban Sydney (half decent speed)?

Urban referring to main and/or suburban streets in built up areas.

What's half decent speed?

Manly CC do regular morning rides albeit 5:30am that more a short and fast type ride from Manly Vale to Church Point return. approx 30km round trip average speed 37-40km/h, The bunch usually splits up on the return trip as people head off home/work. Pretty flat with only a couple of little humps (Long Reef, Warriewood, Bayview).

North Sydney CC do regular morning rides from Hornsby down through Bobbin Head to Terrey Hills return approx 40km

Not sure of their average speed though, I think they join in as part of the Dawn Patrol (see below).

Mid week, Dawn Patrol ride (or Dawnie) 75km

That's just a random group of anybody/everybody.

I don't know the full route as I've never done it, but I think it starts more or less at Roseville (6am) heads up to Hornsby through Bobbin Head to Terrey Hills down McArrs to Mona Vale and Brookvale and off towards the city.

One of those rides where people do sections that suite themselves.

Dawn Patrol in Ride Mag

and NSCC website

MWCC website

Tues and thurs leave from caringbah at 5am 50-70k pretty much a paceline from the get go. Lots of locals do it

what time does this ride get back to Caringbah?

I must have been spoilt by great riding in Melb, but I have never been able to find any good riding locations in Sydney.

I was expecting a good fast ride this morning, but with the constant twists and turns of the Coluzzi route and the HEAVY TRAFFIC there was never a chance for any fast paced constant pedaling! I kept waiting for a paceline to form and the speed to pickup, but nothing! Then on the last 10-15km we were just weaving in and out of traffic.

Someone tell me why this ride doesn't leave at 5:30 to avoid all the traffic along South Dowling???

Think you have missed the point. Coluzzi is a bunch ride which can be quick but it is not a triathlete "pace line". The ride leaves late as it always has and won't be changing. I can ave close to 35kph for this ride even with the traffic on the way home, that aint bad for a bunch ride.

if you want to do pace work go to the park or Kurnell. Yesterday's ride seemed good enough for Vuelta Stage Winner CJ Sutton but not you....

Mid week, Dawn Patrol ride (or Dawnie) 75km

That's just a random group of anybody/everybody.

I don't know the full route as I've never done it, but I think it starts more or less at Roseville (6am) heads up to Hornsby through Bobbin Head to Terrey Hills down McArrs to Mona Vale and Brookvale and off towards the city.

One of those rides where people do sections that suite themselves.

Mowbray Rd, 6am

If your in the northern area go up to kuring-gai national park, Akuna Bay/West Head. or head out around the Gorges (Bobbin Head, Galston Gorge, Arcadia, Berowra back to Bobbin Head) or a variation of that.

Yeah I Love that ride, I have done it many times over the past few years and I've done it a few times this week. I rode the full three gorges this morning, great ride! but I like to ride a good flat ride on days between hill rides, which is why I joined Coluzzi yesterday.

Think you have missed the point. Coluzzi is a bunch ride which can be quick but it is not a triathlete "pace line". The ride leaves late as it always has and won't be changing. I can ave close to 35kph for this ride even with the traffic on the way home, that aint bad for a bunch ride. if you want to do pace work go to the park or Kurnell. Yesterday's ride seemed good enough for Vuelta Stage Winner CJ Sutton but not you....

I wasn't really looking for a triathlete pace line, I was just looking for a fast paced solid ride that is not interrupted by traffic and intersections every km. But I guess I'm just used to the Melbourne cycling culture, summed up well by http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2011/10/what-you-missed-this-morning-in-sydney/ "Judging by this brief introduction, the Sydney cycling culture couldn’t be more different than Melbourne’s. Firstly, the bunch I joined had nice civil coffee before the ride at 6am and didn’t get rolling until about 6:30. Once we got rolling there was nobody attacking the bunch every 30 seconds, no one swarming and drafting cars"

Melbourne cycling is badass! :D;)

Mowbray Rd, 6am

I havent done dawnie for years, is there anyone that comes home via spit bridge these days ? I need to finish at st leonards ?

But I guess I'm just used to the Melbourne cycling culture, summed up well by http://www.cyclingti...ning-in-sydney/ "Judging by this brief introduction, the Sydney cycling culture couldn’t be more different than Melbourne’s. Firstly, the bunch I joined had nice civil coffee before the ride at 6am and didn’t get rolling until about 6:30. Once we got rolling there was nobody attacking the bunch every 30 seconds, no one swarming and drafting cars"

Melbourne cycling is badass! :D;)

Must have done very limited rides in Sydney then.

None I know start with coffee, except maybe the later starting social riders.

People will attack the bunch but it's more a case of time and place. (like hitting the hills). But generally bunch rides have a little more discipline (even if it's a sloppy discipline) racing gets left to race day, excepting some bunches where they will throw common sense out the window and put on their dumbass hat and race that sprint and not care where or what they do on the road or charge down that descent etc.

Very few will swarm and draft the cars because I guess survival has a high priority. Doesn't mean a percentage won't, but bunch rides tend not to.

That's been my experience at least.