Sign in to follow this  
Arpit

Running with a Herniated Disc

Hi,

My missus had a herniated disc a few years back and after 18 months of rigorous rehab she got it all under control. She was told to swim a lot to help keep the back mobilized and also with stretching. Her doctors advised her not to run at all as the constant jarring due to running is not good at all for her situation.

Recently (around 4-5 months ) back she started running again as swimming and cycling was not cutting the mustard. she enjoys it immensely and has been slowly making some good progress. But due to the competitive nature she also has a tendency to test the limits a bit too often.

Anyways - last week or so her back has been getting sore and sore and eventually yesterday it started getting real bad again with spasms and disc bulging again. So now she is not a happy jan as the hopes of getting completely over her situation are dashed now. She will start swimming again - she knows not swimming was not the best thing to do and she will go back to that.

the doctors have advised against running but I understand that their job is to make the patient pain free - however that happens. I'm wondering if other people here have had this situation and how they managed it to be able to run.

She loves to run and would be quite distraught if this is the end. Willing to consider all options. Not many sports doctors here in newcastle that we know of so if sydney or other cities have some experts to advise on this - we will be keen to hear that.

Also I was curious to understand about high cushioning shoes (hoka one one ??) - will they be beneficial in this situation if essentially the bulging of the disc is caused by jarring - if something reduces the jarring it will help with this situation.

Thanks for any info

Arpit

Hi Arpit, I was told the same thing by the docs about 10 years ago, for the same reason. I still run but just have to be careful. My back is playing up again at the moment even though I've been sidelined for 4 months with unrelated injuries, so "not running" doesn't necessarily work either!

I did pilates a few times a week for a couple of years, reckon that helped heaps. Maybe that's what I need to do again now.

The cushioned shoes are a good idea, also best to run on grass when possible. I also find it better to run in the evening when my back is warmed up rather than first thing in the morning.

The other thing is, I try not to go overboard with distance. Even when I was training for HIM I only ran 3 times/week, long run was 15km. Would love to run more, but something is better than nothing.

She might need a bit of time off running just to let it settle down again. Keep swimming/cycling/pilates in the meantime, and then ease back into running gradually. Hope she gets back into it quickly, I feel for her.

How's Geelong? Feeling the cold yet?

H

THanks H - I was suggesting her to do pilates today - she is a bit headstrong and sometimes my advice goes straight through :). At least now I have your example to quote to her so that it puts her mind to relative ease.

There is not Geelong :( . It will be either Singleton - or .... China !

I had the same thing. Had surgery 12 weeks ago after IMWA in Dec. My advice go see an expert. Dr Nathan Gibbs or Dr Will Craddock are very good. Both based in Sydney.

China! How will you satisfy your passion for swimming, if you move to China?

China! How will you satisfy your passion for swimming, if you move to China?

If Mao can swim (or float) in the Yangtze then so can Arpit.

Finding a pool in China takes much research and adventure getting to and from. Not to mention the obligatory fabric swim cap!

she is a bit headstrong and sometimes my advice goes straight through :). At least now I have your example to quote to her so that it puts her mind to relative ease.

The hardest job in the world is coaching your wife - missus - partner :shy: tell her Uncle Al said to get her posture and core strength sorted out and forget about doing the things that cause the problem :sly:

Arpit,

I had a ruptured and a herniated disk. Once I was up and about again, there were a couple of things I did that all compounded to help.

1. I started Reformer Pilates the increase in core strength helps support around the injury. Building the core is a must if she wants to run.

2. Found a really good rehab guy that removed the built up scar tissue in my back that had built up while trying to protect the spine. I tried a lot of physiotherapists and osteopaths before finding someone that could read my body.

3. Learn your signals. Her body will tell her when not to do something as you stated she ignored the signs.

I did relapse a couple of times until I found out what the signs where for me. One is I get pins and needles in my toes as soon as this happens its time to stop.

I tried to road run but had a lot issues that I found it just not worth it. However this summer I started sand running and have not had any problem with it this has had the added advantage of being able to do some body surfing as well.

Hope your wife gets a bit of pain relief soon I know I was a bitch during this period.

After nearly 10 years since hitting an immovable object I am still mindful of it even though there is no more herniated or ruptured disk.

Thanks everyone for the replies - I have sent her all the replies - I'm sure the overwhelming message of strengthning the core and back muscles is the one she will implement straightaway.

Hope your wife gets a bit of pain relief soon I know I was a bitch during this period.

I think herniated discs are much more prevalent then we realise :shutup: I experienced those same symptoms from females in my life :scared: