nealo

Anyone owned an E46 M3?

Just thinking a few things through about what should be my midlife crisis car.

Anyone owned say a 2002-2004 E46 M3 SMG?

Know any good M3 forums?

You must have very deep pockets Nealo.

I would never buy a high performance car like that 2nd or 3rd hand.

Too many expensive problems to deal with if the car has been abused.

Would rather buy a Golf or Scirocco R for the dollars

That's exactly what I'm tossing up Tinny, a brand new GTI or a second hand M3. I know the safe bet is GTI.

Friend of mine owned one for a while, and got tired of the maintenance costs per service and replacing worn out suspension bits. I'd agree with tinman and go for something new at the same price

The GTI's are perfect either BTW.

Front suspension is mounted on an aluminium sub frame which isnt that hard to whack out of alignment apparently (hitting a curb will do it) and the whole front end is stuffed after that.

Almost pulled the trigger on a GTI for the Mrs a couple of months ago, but my mechanic (an automotive engineer actually) put me off it because of the above (well that and being unemployed :P )

Will wait to see what the Mk7 golfs are like before we decide. Just continue to drive the subaru into the ground until then.

Will have a chat to my mechanic next week Nealo and see what he has to say about the M3's.

Ive seen more than one in his workshop so he will know of any common problems.

Friend of mine owned one for a while, and got tired of the maintenance costs per service and replacing worn out suspension bits. I'd agree with tinman and go for something new at the same price

this is my experience - fantastic car but getting a bit old now and when (not if) something goes wrong it will cost a packet...much like my 70's Porsche :lol:

my bro just bought a Golf R and i reckon it would thrash the tits off the old M3

I wouldn't think an M3 and a Golf GTI were in the same class...

I have found if you watch enough Top Gear episodes, you begin to think 330k for a used Lamborghini is good value.

Nope, not the same league, but the same purchase price and one is new, the other (maybe) abused. And thats the problem, you just dont know.

Just to be clear, Id much prefer the M3...

Edited by Mr Tinman

M3 and Golf are not in the league - a little hatchback versus the two door coupe.

As tinny said, same price point.

If you decide not to go an M3 because of 2nd hand running costs, then obviously you want to go new or as close to as possible (something in warranty).

What does that get you that is still sporty? A GTI.

I know many people who have made the mistake of buying GTI's and Golf's for that matter.

Seem to only last a few weeks until the warranty has run out.

The problems are endless, $8k gearbox, $9k engine block, $3k windscreen wipers, $4k fuel tank problems and the list goes on....

Buy a WRX maybe or the M3.

Edited by BC_J400

I know many people who have made the mistake of buying GTI's and Golf's for that matter.

Seem to only last a few weeks until the warranty has run out.

The problems are endless, $8k gearbox, $9k engine block, $3k windscreen wipers, $4k fuel tank problems and the list goes on....

Buy a WRX maybe or the M3.

Cant say Ive heard any of those problems....and how the hell are windscreen wipers $3k??

The other thing that amazes me are the service intervals on some of the Euros.

15000 k's between oil changes is just crazy when as far as I know there is no oil on Earth guaranteed by the manufacturer for more than 10000 k's

Rule 1 of buying a Euro Car : Never take it to the dealer for services. Find a good mechanic

Rule 2 of buying a Euro Car : Never take it to the dealer for services. Find a good mechanic

Rule 3 of buying a Euro Car : Never take it to the dealer for services. Find a good mechanic

Ask around Bankstown square I'm sure they probably won't have one for you but will know someone who can get you exactly what you want cheap as chips low mileage slight scratching on the VIN plate

forget the GTI, go for the R.

if you want a bigger car go for the R32 passat

or a new wrx sti

S3 = Golf R + $20K

Same car under the body panels.

They are now - but no Golf Rs in the years Nealo mentioned. R has only been out what - 3yrs?

Hi Nealo,

Forums like bimmerpost, bimmerfest and bimmerboost can be good resources.

If you can find an E46 with a solid known history, they are a great car. I'm not aware of any long term issues with these cars, they are bloody well built.

Find a good mechanic and have them look over the car for you, in the long run you might as well use them for servicing as well. Forget the dealer, it justs costs too much through them.

I'd think about a manual if I were you, so much more engaging to drive.

Like you I started looking at E46 M3's and in the end bought a 1M Coupe. Abosolutely love it, it has taken my mind off all that training I've been missing lately :)

Just thinking a few things through about what should be my midlife crisis car.

Anyone owned say a 2002-2004 E46 M3 SMG?

Know any good M3 forums?

Audi s3 - end of discussion

I'll take your S3 and raise it one, (well actually put an in front as well before someone else does).

RS4

Except you spend lots on front tyres and fuel,

Cant say Ive heard any of those problems....and how the hell are windscreen wipers $3k??

The other thing that amazes me are the service intervals on some of the Euros.

15000 k's between oil changes is just crazy when as far as I know there is no oil on Earth guaranteed by the manufacturer for more than 10000 k's

$3k wipers include the motors and controller unit.

Mercedes do the 15k oil change, but the car registers how you drive it. If you flog it, it will indicate that a service is due much earlier, eg. 8k.

$3k wipers include the motors and controller unit.

Mercedes do the 15k oil change, but the car registers how you drive it. If you flog it, it will indicate that a service is due much earlier, eg. 8k.

The newer ones do yes...

I absolutly hammered the 550i for a few hours in Germany on Tuesday (Set adaptive cruise to 200 and point towards Frankfurt... Car does the rest) and the service update dropped from due in 14,000 to due in 7,000.... :shocking:

If you're into hatchbacks eg the golf. Renault megane 250 is a far better car IMO. Not as nice inside but more fun to drive and you also won't see 355422 of the same car on every drive.

Only downside: resell is terrible since Renault don't have the reputation in oz that they do in Europe.

Golfs are nice cars but boring to me. If you want a sportier hatch for roughly the same money I'd at least test drive the Renault.

2 guys at my work have them (the Megane's). The older ones are ugly-as.

The new sport model MS250, uncomfortable seats, you corque your leg every time you get in, terribly rough suspension, front wheel drive spins easily, doors are massively long and swing miles out.

Shocker of a car!

Edited by BC_J400

I love the way the Germans have no qualms about putting a stonking big powerful engine in a small car (C63 anyone?).

I suppose the trick is to match the handling dynamics to the power delivery, something I believe BMW do better than most. Enjoy your ride Nealo.

I love the way the Germans have no qualms about putting a stonking big powerful engine in a small car (C63 anyone?).

That's nothing - try the SL 65 AMG - 5.98L 36V V12 biturbo with an awesome 463 kW; (621 hp) @4800-5400, with 1,000 freaking N·ms @2300-4300 - and it is a tiny little roadster!!!! I gotta get me a drive in one of these one day!!! :lol:

Edited by Pete

i was in the same situation 1 year ago. Had a WRX and wanted a more mature man's car still with a little get up and go. Researched a heap and decided on the VW R36 (didn't want a hatchback). Tracked down a 2009 with 8000km on it. 0-100 in 5.6 sec, awesome DSG gearbox, all the luxury you want inside, can't go wrong. A friend has a 2008 Audi S4 and it competes in every way. RS4... well that's another league up! $45-50K and you can get a nice low km one.

Picked it up at lunch and you can not get the smile off my face. It's a dream drive and goes like stink!

Picked it up at lunch and you can not get the smile off my face. It's a dream drive and goes like stink!

pics or it doesn't exist ;)

Whats the difference between a BMW and a haemorrhoid?

Not every arseh*le will get a haemorrhoid!

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

Whats the difference between a BMW and a haemorrhoid?

Not every arseh*le will get a haemorrhoid!

:lol::lol::lol:

My Wife did't appreciate that and told me I should just keep your bike as payback! :D

• Like 1

Nice nealo!

My Wife did't appreciate that and told me I should just keep your bike as payback! :D

Please stop...Im laughing so hard I cant breath...please stop...

Driven the Golf GTI's at work and love them. I'm fairly thin so the seats fit me well. The bigger guys find the seat a bit small. My mechanic works on European cars; mainly Porsches, Mercs, BMW and Etc and not long ago bought a Golf R and said very nice things about it.

Skoda are just releasing a little sports car that might be worth a look. Never known an unhappy Skoda owner.

Skoda are just releasing a little sports car that might be worth a look. Never known an unhappy Skoda owner.

It's a Polo GTI reskin. Same engine/gearbox for very similar money.

Boss here on Vancouver has a new BMW 1M...

$53k and the CAD's slightly stronger than the AUD.

We get bent over in Aus, don't we.

New mustangs court about 20k over there.