Sign in to follow this  
ninjaman

Ironman Zurich, Advice?

Haven't done it personally but a good friend has/ CEM did it a few years back.

Flat swim, Fast bike, multi loop run around a lake with plenty of spectator support.

Good road surface on the bike and big crowds, one section has you weaving through the crowd on one of the climbs.

If you are a good swimmer, you will get out of towards the front.

From all accounts a great event.

How much are air fares costing you?

Havent booked yet but $2600 I think.

I got a discounted IMNZ refugee entry after I emailed them direct. I also had emailed IMNZ but I got a big fat no from them. Ha. Pays to shop around.

The IM Zurich people were awesome to deal with.

The swim gets a bit crowded at the start (jammed into a small area), so if you are not strong stay to an edge to get to one side once past the congested start area. The roads are the smoothest you will ever ride but this is two good climbs (one short, one long). One decent is super fast (near 100k). The run is pretty well flat and has heaps of spectators to keep you pushing.

It can be super hot though (high 30's) so be prepared for a the heat.

What do you want to know?

Slightly different to above, I remember (08) the start line was about 600m wide but the 600m in if you weren't at the front you got stuck turning the first buoy for about a minute. Same thing at the half way mark when you went over the island - lost 2 minutes there compared to those up front.

Bike was perfect roads like Melbourne, but had exactly 90k of pancake flat and 90k of up and down. I recall 3 climbs per lap with one a bit of a bugger. As nepean says a steep descent where you aren't allowed on the aerobats (earns a 6 min penalty). Overall a fair bit of climbing but still fast.

Run was 4 loop with lots of support - all flat, bit all over the place. Weather can be anything, 2 days before 30 and warm, day of the race bucketed down the whole day and was cold.

Any more let me know.

Get swim training Ninja, and learn to like swimming in a huge pack. You are strong and fit enough, you just need the confidence mate...

I have done IM Switzerland twice in 2006 and 07 and I still rate it in the top 3 of the 9 different courses I have raced.

The swim is great although it is 2 laps and you come back and under a footbridge after the first lap where it narrows down to about 10m and gets pretty crowded.

I'm not sure if the bike course has changed since 07 but the first 20kms of the bike was dead flat and super fast along the lake but then you turn inland and head uphill for 5kms followed by a false flat and then another 4kms or so uphill. The people in the villages you pass through are all out supporting with their cow bells and big horns.

There is a section of downhill back to the lake where they ban you riding on the aerobars (yellow card time penalty if caught). I think I hit around 83km/hr going down there but bigger blokes were getting up around the 100km mark.

You then get back on the flat for the rest of the lap except for a decent 1km climb up heartbreak hill (~10%) which is totally covered in people who part the way as you climb up through them. That hill is such as buzz. With around 30km+ of climbing over the bike course I wouldn't call it super fast.

As someone mentioned the run is very flat with 4 laps mostly along the lakefront in the middle of the city. There is nowhere to hide from the crowds if you feel crap and have to walk. You are constantly getting cheered on and the crowds make any Australian Ironman look empty. It can also get pretty hot compared to the winter you are training in. I think it was around 34 degrees in 07.

Once you cross the finish line and have had a shower and food make sure you enjoy the experience of grabbing a beer and joining the other athletes in one of the huge spas they have in the athletes garden.

They also have an awesome expo with lots of gear and brands I hadn't seen in OZ before.

Overall it's a great race and a great experience.

Edited by POT

POT, they changed the bike course to 2 laps in 08 from 3 the year before. Agree with the rest of what you said.

Thanks for the advice guys, im really looking forward to it!

Ill take your advice on board coach clarky!!

I have a 100mm and a 50mm front wheel, would it be wise to go with the 100mm? It gets a bit sketchy at over 60km/hr like the hill at noosa, it gets hard to steer!

i know a guy who is doing this as well, you should train with him. he's a bit of a prick tho.

Arrived last Saturday and based here in Luzern for a week. Very hot so far and heat wave on the way.

Just got email from WTC saying expect non wetsuit swim and be prepared for extreme heat. Forecast is for 39 degrees! Gonna be a hard day!

Cycling here is amazing. Rode 1hr around the lake - had bike lane the whole way. Swimming in lake isn't bad either but zero boyancy. 2600 euros won't like the non wettie swim

• Like 2

Arrived last Saturday and based here in Luzern for a week. Very hot so far and heat wave on the way.

Just got email from WTC saying expect non wetsuit swim and be prepared for extreme heat. Forecast is for 39 degrees! Gonna be a hard day!

Cycling here is amazing. Rode 1hr around the lake - had bike lane the whole way. Swimming in lake isn't bad either but zero boyancy. 2600 euros won't like the non wettie swim

fantastic

please keep us updated, with the good and bad bits

sounds great so far

enjoy

IP

Best of luck Rebel08 , looking at this race given I missed out on Roth 2014, seems like a very good option.

Will look forward to hearing how you go and thoughts on the course

cheers

tritragic

So I just entered Ironman Zurich, just wondering if anyone has done this race and has any advice for me?

Cheers

Take money, lots and lots of money :lol:

I can't believe it!

All the experts on this race and not one has mentioned that a must do is to visit the Lindt un Springl chocolate factory; BEST CHOCOLATE - in the world!

Also escape the tourists and take the normal ferry around the lake; a fraction of the tourist pricing and you can get on and off as you wish! And the best advice for this race? Don't race the locals; just let it happen at your own pace! This one is really ALL about the experience of doing it Swiss style; and they do it very well!

I can't believe it!

All the experts on this race and not one has mentioned that a must do is to visit the Lindt un Springl chocolate factory; BEST CHOCOLATE - in the world!

Also escape the tourists and take the normal ferry around the lake; a fraction of the tourist pricing and you can get on and off as you wish! And the best advice for this race? Don't race the locals; just let it happen at your own pace! This one is really ALL about the experience of doing it Swiss style; and they do it very well!

It's bad for the waist line :) I'm pretty sure you pass it at the most Southern part of the bike course - that was enough for me.

I can't believe it!

Not even remotely close to that. Get thyself to Dumon

Hot, tough day. He finished despite this. Sounds like he skipped Lindt but gave Hungry Jacks a solid workout.

• Like 1