CEM

V vs Red Bull vs Mother vs Berocca

In a work meeting yesterday a colleague walked in with a 500ml can of Mother, containing a whole list of uppers including 160mg of caffeine. We got talking about energy drinks and the stories that came out of consumption shocked me - this same guy used to drink 11 x V in a day!!! WTF???

I put Berocca on the list since that is my go-to potion at work when I'm feeling a bit sleepy and works a treat. I've got some No Doz in my bag for emergencies (or long workshops...).

I'm interested to hear other habits / experiences with these things in day-to-day life (using them in races is a separate topic).

IMO we will see some big health problems a few years down the track because of these drinks.

I don't use them outside of big workouts. Plan to use approx 150mg of caffeine in Gundi on Sunday.

Im with you CEM. Other than coffee, A berrocca on my low days seems to perk me up. A half a no-doz before squad if I need it, but only on the really tired days.

There was a patch where I was drinking 4 or 5 bottles or Redbull a day, then again I was working 19-20hr days. These days I limit myself to 1 espresso and 1 small can of Redbull per day only on work days and I'm feeling significantly better for it.

Personally I think they're all crap and should have RSA type laws applied to them, they really aren't good for you and the number of kids I see with a can of energy drink that's nearly as big as them is disturbing. Anything that can kill you really should be more regulated, there are numerous people that have died from too many energy drinks, the main culprit being the good ol' vodka Red Bull.

11 x V - a day would he sleep??

I only use the stuff in races, outside of that only if on a big training session and i still have a while to get home.

Was recently in Thailand, was amazed at the strength of the small bottles of red bull and others that you could buy - many for less than a dollar, i was travelling with a few doctors and they loved going into pharmacies and looking at the ingrediants on a whole bunch of things. They were looking at some of those energy drinks available and they considered that some were pretty much filled with amphetamines. Obvioulsy here we have much tighter regulations, but apparently there has been an increase in people contacting the poisons hotline after drinking energy drinks due to heart palpatations - albeit starting from a low base.

11 a day - just the cost is mind boggling.

Well since you dont want the Race aspect of these drinks to be discussed it has got nothing to do with triathlon then....

SANDBOX

:P

^^^ There is a little gold Thai can that you can get here that has double the crap of a normal can and yes there is one that you can't get here because it would be classed as an amphetamine. I had one once and was up for two days. Farkin horrible.

I think lobbing Berocca in with these other drinks is a bit harsh on Berocca.

The other drinks are full of sugar, caffeine, & a whole lot of other "nasty" stuff. Berocca is mainly vitamins & a fair bit of salt.

My next door neighbour was the first rep for V in Australia, when the product was just starting out. Becuase I knew about Red Bull and stuff he used to pick my brains about it.

Anyway, anytime I helped him out with something he would give me a couple of slabs to say thanks. At one stage I had about a dozen or more cartons of V in the garage. So I started drinking it after morning training sessions, and then two more on the drive to work.

My eyes would start hurting about an hour later.

I dont drink coffee so it was a bit of a shock to the system.

I still use it but only before racing, or used to use it on long brick sessions when IM training, before heading out for a run.

wow, 11 a day, thats madness. Amongst the high blood pressure and the diuretic effect of the caffiene, not mentioning the other ingredients. Its when i see the kids going to school with one in their hand it gets me worried about the health effects later for them when they hit 30.

Thankfully my kids only scream at me for a coke and i'm still hestitant to give up to one of those.

i use to take 1 - 2 monster energy drinks (500ml each) a day 7 days a week. It became such an addiction that i relied heavily on them with my training and worked harder knowing i get one later in the day. Ive since cut them out of my diet completely and consume alot more water instead. Weight is easier to manage and as for performace i havent noticed a drop in speed at all. Like it was said above, i too think we will see bigger health issue later down the path and what they are actually doing when increasing heart rate alone and the affect it has on the heart mucle. In saying that it 930 in the morning and im soooo tired from a big week i could really do with a pick me up in a can :)

used to drink 1-2 cans of mother/red bull a day it varied what was on special. that was about 2 years ago, today i still have them but i have go onto the sugarfree ones. good for a hit in the morning, but i probably have 2-4 a week these days. small cans of sugarfree doesnt hurt me anymore.

but have had friend of mine drink 3-4 cans of MOTHER..yes 2 litres of energy drink in one night and not sleep and then have a tight chest the next day.

its scary.

Has anyone ever taken 2 No Doze at once! I did it yesterday (didn't read the package - that says 1 tablet at a time :msn-oh: ) and my god it was the weirdest sensation! My eyes were so wide open, I felt like I was staring at everyone and couldn't blink!! :shocking: I was on the biggest high - you can see how that could become addictive!

Funny thing is - I love coffee, tea, red bull - anything with caffeine, but have never had an experience like that before! Won't be doing that again!

:dolphin:

V, Red Bull, Mother, whatever - I won't touch them. Just think they are a ticking time-bomb healthwise.....

Cheers,

Abby

• Like 1

Has anyone ever taken 2 No Doze at once! I did it yesterday (didn't read the package - that says 1 tablet at a time :msn-oh: ) and my god it was the weirdest sensation! My eyes were so wide open, I felt like I was staring at everyone and couldn't blink!! :shocking: I was on the biggest high - you can see how that could become addictive!

Funny thing is - I love coffee, tea, red bull - anything with caffeine, but have never had an experience like that before! Won't be doing that again!

I take 2 NoDoz before a race > 60mins (1 for less), and that's the only time...it works a treat.

I remember before my first Kona in 2005 a well known triathlete doctor advised trying NoDoz out in training during a long ride, by taking 4 of them at about half way the weekly long ride (of 230km). My main memory is later than afternoon being totally amped and almost shaking I was so charged up!!!

Edited by CEM

I reckon if you need one of those drinks or a No Doz to get yourself up for a training session you should think twice about the session and either miss it or back it off a little. If you're that fatigued before you start pushing further can't be good. Using it during a long bike or race is a different matter in my opinion.

• Like 1

I take 2 NoDoz before a race > 60mins (1 for less), and that's the only time...it works a treat.

I remember before my first Kona in 2005 a well known triathlete doctor advised trying NoDoz out in training during a long ride, by taking 4 of them at about half way the weekly long ride (of 230km). My main memory is later than afternoon being totally amped and almost shaking I was so charged up!!!

Got to make sure the morning movement is out of the way before taking the double hit though! :)

No Doz is great for digging yourself out of a hole too. Had a bit of a meltdown at 90km at IMWA 09, took two No Doz, instant clarity and back on the bike getting the job done.

The rest of the bike felt like it was in slow motion!

The new Powerade drink is pretty good too, perfect stuff for the return leg of the long ride.

I reckon if you need one of those drinks or a No Doz to get yourself up for a training session you should think twice about the session and either miss it or back it off a little. If you're that fatigued before you start pushing further can't be good. Using it during a long bike or race is a different matter in my opinion.

I took them after training - whilst I was sitting at my desk with my head banging on the keyboard!!!!

I actually got some work done that afternoon!!!! :lol:

I take 2 NoDoz before a race > 60mins (1 for less), and that's the only time...it works a treat. I remember before my first Kona in 2005 a well known triathlete doctor advised trying NoDoz out in training during a long ride, by taking 4 of them at about half way the weekly long ride (of 230km). My main memory is later than afternoon being totally amped and almost shaking I was so charged up!!!

I can't beleive the number of people bragging about taking no doze before events. Just because it isn't banned doesn't make it right.

"However, the WADA is now considering returning caffeine to its list of banned substances, with President John Fahey calling its use “against the spirit of sport”.

At present it is on the list of “specified substances” to be monitored for trends and possible abuse."

Hopefully for every-ones health it will go back on the list.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

11 cans!!! Years ago my ex and I used to run a nightclub and of course we stocked Redbull. There used to be a warning on the can to not consume more than 5 cans per day, apparently its no longer on there. My way of surviving long nights in the club was to drink coke and grenadine mixed together, better than that taurine crap. I too hate going to the shop near the local highschool and watching kids before school buying 3 cans of mother and a block of chocolate. If you need it that bad kids get the f..k off facebook a bit earlier. I do also remember once a guy in Perth having a heart attack and dying after consuming 17 cans of Redbull.

I can't beleive the number of people bragging about taking no doze before events. Just because it isn't banned doesn't make it right.

"However, the WADA is now considering returning caffeine to its list of banned substances, with President John Fahey calling its use “against the spirit of sport”.

At present it is on the list of “specified substances” to be monitored for trends and possible abuse."

The worst part about this is - its all the amateur "I'm there to complete the race" type guys who's loading up on this sort of crap.

If you ain't good. A can of whateverthefu#ck won't turn you into a champion.

HTFU sisters!

ps: I shouldn't judge, I got a bottle of JD in my drawer at work.

Don't use Energy drinks, like Coffee(3 Instants a day... too many I know!) and Coke Zero(1 can a day). No-Doz x2 before a race also. Dude drinking 11 is wack.

Nice. Why No-Doz? Is the race so boring that you need a stimulant to stay awake or do you think it will make you go faster?

When caffeine was on the WADA list before, the legal limit was less then 1500mg

A standard cup of coffee is 70mg and No Doz is 100mg. So its fair to say that limit wasen't doing much.

Back in university I used to have to work 4 jobs at a time. So during the slow times of year I had enough shifts to pay the bills - busy times of the year I would be selling PC gear (Harvey Norman), delivering pizza (pizza hut), serving drinks at a nightclub (Blue Moose) with additional work as a children's entertainer (guess why I am ClownBoy).

Add in uni work and I used to take alot of caffeine\coffee\stims just to cope. One day I went white and pasty, lost my focus, clammy wet skin - GF was called by the boss and they took me to the doc. Turns out I was having a 'reverse heart attack' where my blood pressure had dropped real low but my heart rate was through the roof. Combined - it meant nothing was happening!

I respect it now. Strong coffee in the morning before I train - one at morning tea. Occasional use besides that.

Nice. Why No-Doz? Is the race so boring that you need a stimulant to stay awake or do you think it will make you go faster?

I think it makes me go faster. There have been some studies... I have found personally that I am able to work harder for longer.

Never use any of that stuff have not had a coke in almost ten years.

These drinks including coke are a health disaster the amount of sugar and acids on them literally erodes your teeth away ! In addition to the insane calories. If you need a caffeine hit coffee is probably better.

I've tried a Mother once when a group of attractive young girls (none of whom were Mothers I'm guessing!) happend to be giving out free samples as I finished a 7hr bloody hot brick session. Even after 7hrs of sweating in 33'+ heat I couldn't stand it. No idea how people drink it to be honest.

I have a morbidly obese client, in her early twenties, who lives on Red Bull so she 'has the energy to get out of bed in the morning...'. No matter how much I try and educate her she is not going to change her ways and it fits well in with her 'diet' of junk food. She also smokes. She also complains about how unfit she is.

I drink a berocca every day and in no way is it similar to these other 'energy' drinks. Just compare ingredients.

Cheers,

P.

We had the Red Bull girls pull over our cycle pack one morning, needless to say we all obliged by partaking in a can or two.

I've tried a Mother once when a group of attractive young girls (none of whom were Mothers I'm guessing!) happend to be giving out free samples as I finished a 7hr bloody hot brick session. Even after 7hrs of sweating in 33'+ heat I couldn't stand it. No idea how people drink it to be honest.

I have a morbidly obese client, in her early twenties, who lives on Red Bull so she 'has the energy to get out of bed in the morning...'. No matter how much I try and educate her she is not going to change her ways and it fits well in with her 'diet' of junk food. She also smokes. She also complains about how unfit she is.

I drink a berocca every day and in no way is it similar to these other 'energy' drinks. Just compare ingredients.

Cheers,

P.

Sounds like a guy I knew at university.

His morning routine was wake up, roll over, open fridge next to bed, scull can of V, sit up, eat sandwich, get up, get dressed, then off to uni/work, whichever was first that day.

Guest Animal

I've never had even a sip of V, Red Bull, Mother, not sure about berocca, think I might have tried one as a teenager. Would be near 20 years since I've had a cup of coffee. When I get free ones I give them away.

I just don't see the need for stimulants in everyday life. Just because it's legal doesn't change my view on things.

Never use any of that stuff have not had a coke in almost ten years.

These drinks including coke are a health disaster the amount of sugar and acids on them literally erodes your teeth away ! In addition to the insane calories. If you need a caffeine hit coffee is probably better.

They don't call it Coke Zero for nothing.

Numerous studies show the benefits of caffeine in relation to sporting performance. However as the original OP said - that is a whole different thread.

The concern is the number of people who are just skulling these things like water. Similarly kids knocking them down with a pack of party snakes - gets them absolutely buzzing - who needs illegal drugs - when you can get this high for sub $5.

20-ish years ago, when I finished high school and headed to the Gold Coast for Schoolies, we thought we were very hardcore for washing down a couple of pseudofeds with a can of Coke to keep us going for the week... :rollseyes:

I still use it but only before racing, or used to use it on long brick sessions when IM training, before heading out for a run.

Or after 25k's of riding with me :lol:

I do drink these things from time to time, but limit them as they do keep me awake if I have them after lunch.

Have done Jabba's No doz + water before heading out the door for an early morning session more than once or twice though...

. One day I went white and pasty, lost my focus, clammy wet skin - GF was called by the boss and they took me to the doc.

You were white and pasty - and you were sweating when I met you at Noosa - were you on it then :shock:

You were white and pasty - and you were sweating when I met you at Noosa - were you on it then :shock:

It is sad how you obsess over me AP - go fornicate with your wife or something.

met a guy the other day who said he NEVER drinks water ever,

only drinks coke or juice!!! mad can you actually stay hydrated like that?

We had the Red Bull girls pull over our cycle pack one morning, needless to say we all obliged by partaking in a can or two.

They pulled me over once but I was already packing a can.

met a guy the other day who said he NEVER drinks water ever,

only drinks coke or juice!!! mad can you actually stay hydrated like that?

Sure, juice and coke are mostly water anyway.

11 cans!!! Years ago my ex and I used to run a nightclub and of course we stocked Redbull. There used to be a warning on the can to not consume more than 5 cans per day, apparently its no longer on there. My way of surviving long nights in the club was to drink coke and grenadine mixed together, better than that taurine crap.

aka a Roy Rogers. tastes good. My kids got a taste for it in the states.

In my early 20's did some skiing in Austria and Red Bull was unheard of in Australia. No-one drank it with grog but did have it for breakfast to wake up before skiing. Was amazing stuff. The guys who were working the season over there would import a few cases when they came home to get them through our winter.

In my mid 20's when I'd just gone into business, got married and started a masters at the same time My GP checked my BP at a routine visit and it was through the roof, worked out I was having way too much caffeine in form of coffee and diet coke type drinks and surviving on about 3-4 hours sleep a day, pulling all-nighters writing etc etc. Got off the caffeine and started some exercise and it went back to normal.

About a month ago I was lying awake at 2.30am wondering why this insomnia was getting so bad when I did a tally. Espresso at 7am, another instant at 9 and 11, 600ml Coke Zero at 1pm, another at about 3pm, 3x No-Doze plus at 5pm before Fri night crits then a couple of glasses of Coke with chinese that night.

Now having no caffeinated anything after midday.

I have honestly never had one of these drinks like V or Mother in my life (that I can think of). I had a can in a goody bag at a race once and gave it to someone else. Red Bull is a banned substance in our house, due to Mrs FP's employer B)

I see loads of people just walking round town with them, not training, usually smoking and/or pushing a pram :shocking:

3x No-Doze plus at 5pm before Fri night crits

There's your problem right there Parky.

That 300 mg would be more than the rest combined and you had it at 5pm and with a half life of 6 hours, plus all the other caffeine already in your system, there was no chance of you sleeping.

Im like you as well. Nothing after lunch.

Am I the only one who thinks they all taste like shit? Had a sip of a couple of the offerings and nearly sprayed them back out.

No, the smell alone of red bull makes me feel a little queasy. Big fan of coffee though. I'll take my caffeine the old fashioned way. Short black, long black or a flat white, no sugar. I try to limit myself to no more than four per day.

Edited by gregb

I think it's very much a personal choice. I love the taste of Redbull, infact I've often wished for a non-caffine/non-taurine/other-nasty-crap version of Redbull so I could drink it more often, indifferent about V and Monster, hate Mother. The missus on the other hand can't stand Redbull, Monster and Mother but doesn't mind a V.

Am I the only one who thinks they all taste like shit? Had a sip of a couple of the offerings and nearly sprayed them back out.

No u r not

they sent me a promo sixpack of one of the main brands when it first cam out and I though it tated like coufg medicine (the kind where you say you are better just so that mum won't make you take it (and I mean when you are over 21))