Sign in to follow this  
TrinewB

video camera sunglasses or GoPro?

TrinewB    232

looking for a camera to film races rides and runs etc. I understand that GoPro has been discussed on here before but also the ones in sunglasses were mentioned but have not heard of anyone who has actually used them.

Go Pro:

http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CJfL86jvsK0CFeJMpgodVipUmw

Imaging video sunglasses:

http://www.imging.com.au/

How easy and secure have you found the bike mount?

How heavy are they when mounted on Helmet?

Can you use them on the run at all? is it practical?

Has anyone used the sunglasses ones? if so how is the video quality?

How are they on the run? are they heavy? is the video from the run to bouncy?

can you take still images?

ANy other recommendations?

trifun    149

Looked at the Drift HD1760 at cycle obsession in bris city the other day - neat feature is you can rotate the sensoe/lense assembly so that your frame is verticle irrespective of the camera mounting.

A bit flasher than the oregon scientific one I have. (and a darn site more robust than my iPhone)

Pete    277

The go-pro has quite good picture quality - i doubt if the glasses will measure up. Try and get some motion footage from both cameras and look carefully and a point with detail and see what happens to it. You will see that cameras aint cameras.

John Fitz    0

I bought a pair of the $36 Deal Extreme video sunnies from http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechargeable-hd-720p-5-0mp-pin-hole-spy-av-camera-disguised-as-sunglasses-tf-slot-54635

They were just OK.

I got the fastest Micro SD card I could get (Class 10), but still found that the footage would get choppy (frame rate would drop to 8 frames per second or less), and there'd sometimes be discolouration (made up word?) in the bottom quarter of the picture. This especially happened when moving fast - eg. mountain biking. Also, the angle for riding was a bit low - I had to ride with my head tilted back a bit to get the rider in front and horizon. Same problem on the road.

I wore them walking and the footage was seasick inducing - I expect running would be worse.

On the up-side, they were really light and felt just like normal sunnies. They were totally inconspicuous so I never felt too embarrassed to wear them. The best use I got for them was at the kids' school sports day where I could film all their races and catch their natural reactions afterwards. Even with the choppy footage, I was able to extract great still images because the definition was so good.

Sadly mine only lasted two months before they started filming upside down in sepia (!?!). All the electronics are in the arms and I think the sweat got into them. They are not at all waterproof! I try them every few months to see if they've come right, but no luck.

You get what you pay for, and these don't cost much! They are a bit of fun, but if I really wanted to record action, I'd get something better.

Pete    277

I bought a pair of the $36 Deal Extreme video sunnies from http://www.dealextre...s-tf-slot-54635

They were just OK.

I got the fastest Micro SD card I could get (Class 10), but still found that the footage would get choppy (frame rate would drop to 8 frames per second or less), and there'd sometimes be discolouration (made up word?) in the bottom quarter of the picture. This especially happened when moving fast - eg. mountain biking. Also, the angle for riding was a bit low - I had to ride with my head tilted back a bit to get the rider in front and horizon. Same problem on the road.

I wore them walking and the footage was seasick inducing - I expect running would be worse.

On the up-side, they were really light and felt just like normal sunnies. They were totally inconspicuous so I never felt too embarrassed to wear them. The best use I got for them was at the kids' school sports day where I could film all their races and catch their natural reactions afterwards. Even with the choppy footage, I was able to extract great still images because the definition was so good.

Sadly mine only lasted two months before they started filming upside down in sepia (!?!). All the electronics are in the arms and I think the sweat got into them. They are not at all waterproof! I try them every few months to see if they've come right, but no luck.

You get what you pay for, and these don't cost much! They are a bit of fun, but if I really wanted to record action, I'd get something better.

:lol: I bought a pair off ebay at - wait for it - $18 delivered!!!

I figured it can't hurt so I gave them a try and yes, you really do get what you pay for. The video quality is kind of strange, I suspect due to the MJPEG (motion jpeg) it is complete crap in video mode - i would say unusable - yet each frame on a still is surprisingly good. I have tried them static,walking, riding and when driving my car and the problems are still there - if there is any motion or change they go into "creaky movie" mode, like a series of stills flashed at an annoyingly noticeable frame rate. Sound recording is OK,ish. If you talk it will get your sound, and if someone is speaking to you in close proximity you can hear them too

If you want some kind of pictorial record of what you are doing they are OK, but they do not produce a "video" in the true sense. I would have been happier with a standard def camera at a higher frame rate.

I also have GoPros GoPro 2s and a countour HD and the GP is the best with the countour not too far behind.

TrinewB    232

:lol: I bought a pair off ebay at - wait for it - $18 delivered!!!

I figured it can't hurt so I gave them a try and yes, you really do get what you pay for. The video quality is kind of strange, I suspect due to the MJPEG (motion jpeg) it is complete crap in video mode - i would say unusable - yet each frame on a still is surprisingly good. I have tried them static,walking, riding and when driving my car and the problems are still there - if there is any motion or change they go into "creaky movie" mode, like a series of stills flashed at an annoyingly noticeable frame rate. Sound recording is OK,ish. If you talk it will get your sound, and if someone is speaking to you in close proximity you can hear them too

If you want some kind of pictorial record of what you are doing they are OK, but they do not produce a "video" in the true sense. I would have been happier with a standard def camera at a higher frame rate.

I also have GoPros GoPro 2s and a countour HD and the GP is the best with the countour not too far behind.

Thanks just received mine does not work on Mac!!! trying it on PC tomorrow just cannot tell if its recording or not very annoying

thommo    16

I bought a pair of the $18 ebay sunnies. They seem to work fine. But I only bought them to use at work. I have had members use them whilst I am training them in Public Order and they have had some good footage whilst they are standing on the line with an angry crowd or whilst mving and striking with a shield. I have been quite impressed.

I thought the footage was terrible when I first watched it cause it kept stopping etc. But that was cause I was watching it on the laptop with the card still in the glasses. Once I downloaded the clips oto the actual laptop it was fine.

BC_J400    47

I have a pair of Ebay $16 delivered Sunglasses with video recording Micro SD. Use them when flying. Great quality, very happy with them, BUT, no good for the bike because they point down too far when riding. They would need to be adjustable to be any good. You'd be surprised how much you are looking forward with your eyes when riding.

Dolphy    38

I have a pair from e-bay that cost me $20 - and I've found the video footage to be really good! I even showed it to some guys at work, who were super impressed! I try to only video the sections I am riding on which are dangerous - so the files aren't too large! But for $20 - you really can't complain!

I do find they work better when I ride my MTB as I am sitting more upright - on the roadie if you aren't consciously looking up - you end up filming a lot of the road!!! :lol:

:dolphin: