Sign in to follow this  
Rog

This morning's swim squad set - 100x100m

I just joined a master swimming club a couple of weeks ago and they've had their "special" end of year session today.

I thought I'd turn up and see how much of it I could get done. Started with the medium lane up to set 5, then the wheels started to fall off but still managed to hang on and called it a day after set #7 (7km), the furthest I have ever swam in one go.

We all started at the same time, the guys on the fast lane were doing butterfly form on set #7 and were over 1km ahead of us :shocking:

Goal for next year is to get the whole set done and try to hang on with the fast guys.

What about you, what's the furthest you have ever swam?

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

New Year's Day one year I did a 6km swim session by myself with a hangover. No idea why.

Nice Set!!!! Way to smash yours arms up.... :smile1:

This is not the longest set i have ever done, but prob the most smashed up i have ever felt after a set.

We had two groups going, so one group in the water one group recovering. Set was

10 x 200 BUTTERFLY

The rest is however long it takes the other group to get thru their 200m. I was trying to do them below or around the 2.30 mark. Got messy at the end.

Nice set ... but don't train too much Rog or you might beat me !!!! :shocking:

I never did more than 4k in one swim session ... that maybe explain my swim leg time :)

By the way, were you doing paddle or flippers ? Am I right to think that flipper is the easy option or could it be a equivalent one ?

I guess there is no resst during one set ?

And what is the free/form ?

Edited by nicoloco

I swim 6k plus most Monday's

Mixed up with 2k straight then 100s 20/30 and alternate weeks 200s 10/20

We have to travel along way to a pool so we make the most of it

Not sure I could get through 100 100 s depends on pace

I've done 60 before

Cheers

Ip

Holly shit. I would have lasted until maybe set 4 in the slow lane. I did 5k once in December and expected some type of medal when I got out.

By coincidence Dave Scott just posted this on Facebook.

What's the big deal about swimming 100 x 100's on New Year? Why not do a creative session that doesn't warp your brain. Do you need one?

I think Dave might referring to swimming 100 x 100m straight freestyle, which I agree would be mind numbing.

Our session had quite a bit of variety to keep it interesting so getting bored wasn't even a consideration.

Watched a couple of blokes swim 100x100 on the 1.30 last week, the finished 2.5km in front of my lane

was with Col Stewart years ago, if you missed one you had to do it and an extra one. Some guys did more than 11km. For people like miles and Macca it was quite easy !!

They do it at Somerville just before Xmas.

I don't even contemplate it.

Biggest sessions I did this year were 10x400 on how ever long it took, with whatever rest I needed.

Helped convince me I could actually swim 3.8

Guest Gimili

Done 6k a few times

Done 5k a lot

Done 4k heaps

Edditted to say "but not much in the last year"

Edited by Gimili

I can happily ride my bike all day but 90 minutes in the pool is all I can handle before I get bored. I was lucky today, they had the cricket over the speakers so I did lots of kicking drills with my head out of the water.

Back in 2008 when I trained for the Vic open water 5 & 10k swims I was doing weekly, solo swim sessions of > 10k, maxing out at about 10.7k, I think it was. Session consisted of 2k warm-up then 6 x 1k reps on 15min repeat cycle (50m pool) until I blew up, usually at about 8k mark after which it was more sink than swim to the end at a very slow pace...I literally could not lift my arms out of the water. But it was the fittest I have ever been in my life.

Those sessions gave me a lot of respect for pool swimmers...insanely boring.

The actual open water races - 5k on Sat, 10k on Sun - remain as one of the hardest things I've ever done...

Edited by CEM

On a semi-related note, is it worthwhile for a triathlete with a weak kick to spend time over winter developing a stronger kick? Perhaps replacing one of the three squad sessions with a kick-focused session?

Wouldn't drop a squad for a kicking session - the wetsuit will add assistance and the kick doesn't add that much benefit in comparison to a good,hard squad session

Was there any rest between the 10 sets?

Either way, I would be lucky to get through the first 2 sets I reckon, never gone further than about 2.5 km in the pool, time, boredom and fitness stop me going any further!

Edited by Toolish

They do it at Somerville just before Xmas.

I don't even contemplate it.

Biggest sessions I did this year were 10x400 on how ever long it took, with whatever rest I needed.

Helped convince me I could actually swim 3.8

is that Tiger's Pirates crew in Frankston?? :shocking::shocking::shocking::shock::shock:

Holy mmmmmm shit! Cruel bastards. I'm not fast, but I consider myself a confident swimmer. I'm middle of the pack at an od. But I reckon I couldn't have kept up with the slow group, even after only a few sets. That's insane.

Longest for me would have been in the range of 5k, during a squad. But I found that no problems as such. But on my own these days about an hour is all my mind can handle of the black line.

I swam 10k once behind MOM who was training for the English Channel.

I was using flipper. Only way I could stay on his feet.

His wife does it daily I think. Without flippers.

Chloe = Swimming Machine

I did a 22km open water swim once. I vowed to never ever ever swim again after that... But I had 3 I.M races to do that started 6 weeks after.

I've never had so many screwed up things go through my head... The first 15k's were ok, the last 7 I'd rather forget. 7hrs, 9mins of hell.

The first 15k's were ok, the last 7 I'd rather forget.

My brain can barely comprehend this as a swimming post.

A run report, sure, but swimming? :shock:

Guy in my age group is the 2008 world champion for 25k open water.

Best any of us can hope for is 2nd out of the swim!

10km ocean swim, the day before was a 3km ocean swim - furthest I EVER trained was about 4km before that. Usually about 2.5km though.

It was a LLLOOOOONNNGGGG day - started seeing whale sharks, sea snakes and lights coming from the deep, none of which were there of course :)

Longest pool session I've done is 10 x 1km on a 16 - 17 minute cycle. Done that twice. Easier than 100 x 100m - I reckon I'd lose count & I've never been in a squad that done more than 50 x 100m in a set although we have done 20 x 400m on occasion... I've done a couple of 10km Ocean swims, including Bondi to Watsons Bay, which actually swims closer to 12km...

I had a coach who used to set a sat moirning session of 100 * 100 @ 1:40 - if you missed a take off you were out - only a few finished the whole set.

I think doing laps of a 1km wide freshwater lake is more my style this holidays - at least you can have a drink whenever you feel like it (like REALLY fresh water). You can see the bottom perfectly in 4+ meters (that is about as deep as it gets in most parts)

I have found when we do a set like that, it's uncommon, a bit of a novelty event - I get the guys to get out, run down the other end after each 10 x 100m and start the next set from the other end - it just punctuates the workout and makes it a little easier for some to keep track of where they are.

One year when we did 100 x 100m a guy in the squad bought in a loaf of sliced white bread as fuel - every few laps he had another slice - each to his own - he finished and was not such a good swimmer - he's still talking about it ten years later :smartarse:

• Like 1

Guest samuelEBrown

Getting back onto the fins side of the discussion, what do people use them for? Just as an aid when you get tired or as part of a different drill.....? :confused1:

Getting back onto the fins side of the discussion, what do people use them for? Just as an aid when you get tired or as part of a different drill.....? :confused1:

while they don't talk fins there are at least three ST thread discussing the use of swim aids, with an overwhelming statement that they make you better

Guest samuelEBrown

while they don't talk fins there are at least three ST thread discussing the use of swim aids, with an overwhelming statement that they make you better

Better at what..?

The first 15k's were ok, the last 7 I'd rather forget. 7hrs, 9mins of hell.

That sentence is just so wrong on so many levels.

I have found when we do a set like that, it's uncommon, a bit of a novelty event - I get the guys to get out, run down the other end after each 10 x 100m and start the next set from the other end - it just punctuates the workout and makes it a little easier for some to keep track of where they are.

One year when we did 100 x 100m a guy in the squad bought in a loaf of sliced white bread as fuel - every few laps he had another slice - each to his own - he finished and was not such a good swimmer - he's still talking about it ten years later :smartarse:

yoyo?