Sign in to follow this  
Peter

10 Q's with PMCLEOD

PMcLeod aka The Coogee Croc' here are your 10 Questions

1. You are of the older generation (50+) and seem to have taken to the sport in latter life. What did you do before you were involved in triathlons?

2. You really are quite a motivated trainer and racer. What/who got you into Triathlons, and who/what has been your biggest mentors and why?

3. You seem to love the long course talk, but what is your long course experience/goals?

4. What happened to you in Hawaii in 2005?

5. It seems that you take part in anything outdoors from Cyclecross racing and also Penny Farthing racing. What else do you do that we don't know about?

6. You are a Kiwi. Obviously a warriors supporter?

7. John Newsom from IMTALK is a mate. He is a bit of a hero in the sport. What’s he like as a coach? Did you suck him dry of knowledge? Examples of knowledge he passed on?

8. I didn't even know Coogee had a tri club. With some many other 'bigger' clubs in the area, what's type of club is it? family, Long Course, Drinkers, party club?

9. Didn't you win something recently in a raffle? As in about 4k or 5k in prizes? What did you score?

10. You seem to podium a fair bit. Guessing being coached by Ironman Champion Chris McDonald helps a bit. What’s being coached by an Ironman Champion like and what of interest did you learn under him?

1. You are of the older generation (50+) and seem to have taken to the sport in latter life. What did you do before you were involved in triathlons?

I was a bit of a sprinter at school, NZ rep table tennis but nothing really again until the early 80s when I took up this new fangled sport of MTB racing. Raced NZs first MTB race and lots of national races. I didn’t buy my first road bike until 2007 when I decided to do IM. When I started training I was 1 metre around the waist (I’m only 168cm tall) and weighed in at 74 Kgs, now race at 62 Kgs. They call me Benjamin Button at work, WTF?

2. You really are quite a motivated trainer and racer. What/who got you into Triathlons, and who/what has been your biggest mentors and why?

I meet my partner around 2006, she’d qualified and raced at Kona, represented NZ at the worlds etc, the bug just caught on I guess! Our first holiday together was Fiji, Kerry was training for a HIM, getting up early to get in a run, I thought this was just bloody crazy, why would anyone want to get up early when they’re on holidays? fast forward to present, and that’s both of us.

One of Kerrys friends had completed 10 IMs and was a big guy, I thought if he can do an IM so can I, after having done my first IM I had great respect for his now 10+ IM achievements.

And for sure, Kerry would have to be my greatest mentor. She warned me about the tri cult and she was bloody right! We both hope to be racing for NZ at the Auckland Worlds next year, with Kerry returning to triathlon after several years of endurance swimming, Cook Strait kind of stuff.

My older brother has influenced me greatly, he was a pioneer and NZ champion at MTB racing, he called after my first IM finish handing over the mantle of the Mcleod Family Endurance Athlete, I was so proud, kinda corny really but that sort of stuff makes it all worth while.

I must say I just love to race.

3. You seem to love the long course talk, but what is your long course experience/goals?

I’ve only done a couple of full IMs but a load of halfs. I do want to get to Kona at some stage but I’m waiting for the age verse speed curves to intersect. Oh and I need to learn to swim! 55 seems to be a great age to qualify I think!

I like the longer format as I’m not a good swimmer but a reasonable runner.

Another goal is to race to a top 35 black shirt finish at the Dipsea cross country in San Francisco.

4. What happened to you in Hawaii in 2005?

Hmmm, not me, only raced there in the 2010 70.3 5th in AG.

5. It seems that you take part in anything outdoors from Cyclecross racing and also Penny Farthing racing. What else do you do that we don't know about?

I love to build things, all my bikes are built by me including the penny farthing. I’ve also built aircraft, race cars, crazy stuff like a jet powered bicycle, currently building a 1922 Harley Davidson race bike. I have my pilots licence with an aerobatics endorsement but that doesn’t happen at all now that I’m in the triathlon cult.

6. You are a Kiwi. Obviously a warriors supporter?

You bet ya, also a big fan of the NZ cricket team…….

7. John Newsom from IMTALK is a mate. He is a bit of a hero in the sport. What’s he like as a coach? Did you suck him dry of knowledge? Examples of knowledge he passed on?

Yeah I met John through the Canterbury Tri Club in Christchurch, he’s a great teacher and supporter of junior and local triathlon. He coached me to the Honu 70.3, prepping for a hot race in winter was interesting, lots of hot indoor wind trainer sessions. I use the run/walk method promoted by John. He helped me to my first IM in year one even though he’s an advocate of the “3 years to your first IM”.

8. I didn't even know Coogee had a tri club. With some many other 'bigger' clubs in the area, what's type of club is it? family, Long Course, Drinkers, party club?

Yeah I live in Coogee but was a member of the Hills Tri Club (Oh and still are), the Hills club are fantastic supporters of their athletes. Coogee are mainly the sports younger members with a sprinkling of more “mature” element. Focus seems to be on the short course racing but there are members now moving up to long course. Coogee is a very vibrant club with regular “meetings” at the Palace Hotel, I can’t keep up on those training sessions.

9. Didn't you win something recently in a raffle? As in about 4k or 5k in prizes? What did you score?

That was a raffle set up by Dan McDonald of DCM Sport as a fund raiser for the Newton Prostate Cancer Race Team that was entered at IM Canada, think it cost me 20 Nu Zelun dollars.

Included a 2XU wetsuit, loads of bike products, Newton training and race shoes, glasses, nutrition and loads more. There was also 3 months coaching by Dans brother Chris McDonald which worked out perfect as I was entered in the Lake Wanaka Half early the next year.

10. You seem to podium a fair bit. Guessing being coached by Ironman Champion Chris McDonald helps a bit. What’s being coached by an Ironman Champion like and what of interest did you learn under him?

Chris is a cool coach, loads of feedback, hammered my gumby swimming sessions and introduced me to riding with power. I’m not currently being coached but will for my 55 AG IM race.