Sign in to follow this  
Oscar

TdF 2012 - I'm thinking about doing a Tour. Any recomendation?

I'm thinking about doing a TdF Tour. Any recomendation? Is anyone out there doing it this year?

I think Pyrenees week would be pretty good!

Anyone sharing experience from previous years?

Try sportstours international , best bang for buck 50% less than the Aussie coys. I think 10days in peyrennes is about 1200 pounds . I could be on that. Used then twice before

Get creative and just hire a camper and do it yourself. I was there with a mate in 2010. We followed the Tour from Revel through the Pyranees over to Bordeaux. If you want a cool place for the Pyranees try Luz-Saint-Sauveur. It is at the foot of the Col Du Tourmalet. There is huge mountain passes overwhere. From the town centre it is a 23km ride up the Tourmalet to an altitude of 2115 metres. Each KM is marked in a countdown to the top and shows the average gradient of that KM. One of the most awesome things to follow the tour and climb big mountains. But take your own bike it is so worth it as the climbs truly are monsters.

Thanks Harts, but I'm not a friend of camper vans / motorhome plus at the moment it's just myself and I don't think it'd be cheaper, wouldn't it?

And then I need to find where to rent the bike and so on, I guess it'll be better value for money for me to do a tour, but thanks again.

Thanks Harts, but I'm not a friend of camper vans / motorhome plus at the moment it's just myself and I don't think it'd be cheaper, wouldn't it?

And then I need to find where to rent the bike and so on, I guess it'll be better value for money for me to do a tour, but thanks again.

I'd actually have a look in to that. I firmly believe it is cheaper and better value for money doing it yourself, stay in hotels so you're not governed by the one week minimum stay that almost all houses/apartments have, especially in summer.

Hire a car, you won't need a big one if it's only you travelling AND you can fit your own bike in it that you SHOULD take.

I found with a 'tour', you actually don't get to do a lot of riding. It seemed to be replaced with sitting on a bus!!

I just found on your own, or with other friends, organising it yourself is so much more rewarding once you've done the trip. You can be where you want, when you want as opposed to being governed by the rest of the tour group.

Whatever way you decide to do it though, I'm sure it won't be the last time you'll go over, it's a great part of the world to ride in.

Actually, you could have a look at this link,

http://www.lanternerougecycling.com/

We nearly booked with them for next year but ended up getting a house in Luz Saint Sauveur as there are 8 in our group, also didn't need the 'guided tour' part of it.

But from what I've seen they have a LOT of good testimonials.

Oscar, joining a tour group is awesome! TGL and I made some life long friends out of our tour last year (Bike Style Tours). You're so well looked after, that all you have to worry about is how far you would like to ride each day and what pub to visit in the afternoon to watch the race! For us it was 2 weeks full of laughs that we would have not have experienced if we weren't part of a group. Of course it was made more exciting with the fact that Cadel won, but it might happen again, hopefully.....

Warning: even though you're riding 100's of kms ...you will still put on weight with all that fine food!!! :lol:

I found with a 'tour', you actually don't get to do a lot of riding. It seemed to be replaced with sitting on a bus!!

We were doing around 40-100kms daily which included mountain passes, so I don't agree with this. The amount of kms we rode depended on the individual in our tour. Our tour was split up into groups based on capability. TGL and I rode with the stronger riders which might cover 100kms, while the not so serious only did half or less of this.

Re the bus, that was half the fun and we had lots of laughs! It also meant we had excellent parking privileges at stage starts/finishes when required.

http://www.topbike.com.au

I prefer to plan my trips myself but I have friends who've done Top Bike tours and rave about them.

David Ollie and Emma Coulson are based in Melbourne and know their stuff. Emma is elite MTBer. I've heard the attention to detail is amazing and they have a lot of years of experience.

Great restaurants too.

I've done a couple of trips with Thomsons Bike Tours, who are now an official provider for the grand tours. Not sure exactly what difference that makes, but the tours i did were brilliant. 100+ kms per day with LOTS of altitude. Riding to the hotel door, so zero bus time. Certainly more expensive than do it youself, but for me it was totally worth it.

KKB, KAM, chris, The Customer, Wardy, The Battler, thanks to all of you. That helps me a lot.

I reckon I still prefer to do it (at least this time) on a tour, but I'll read the links and I'll keep my eyes opened.

Thanks again.

PS: @The Battler: next year is 2012?

Edited by Oscar

We were doing around 40-100kms daily which included mountain passes, so I don't agree with this. The amount of kms we rode depended on the individual in our tour. Our tour was split up into groups based on capability. TGL and I rode with the stronger riders which might cover 100kms, while the not so serious only did half or less of this.

Re the bus, that was half the fun and we had lots of laughs! It also meant we had excellent parking privileges at stage starts/finishes when required.

Hey Kam,

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that you couldn't meet people on a tour, we did. We actually went with a group of friends on the same tour (Bikestyle also), but maybe they've improved since we went or maybe we just got a 'dud' trip! We were doing 40-100kms most days, sometimes a bit more, but I actually thought we would get more km's in than that. I remember one day in particular where we had a transfer to the next town that was about 3 hrs in the bus(during the day), time that could have been spent riding I thought. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a place, definitely, for bike tours, it's just that you get far more freedom doing it yourself in my opinion as far as riding options.

100+ kms per day with LOTS of altitude.

Yep, 100kms which includes a couple of the classic passes takes about the same time as 160kms back home!!! :lol:

Hey Kam,

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying that you couldn't meet people on a tour, we did. We actually went with a group of friends on the same tour (Bikestyle also), but maybe they've improved since we went or maybe we just got a 'dud' trip! We were doing 40-100kms most days, sometimes a bit more, but I actually thought we would get more km's in than that. I remember one day in particular where we had a transfer to the next town that was about 3 hrs in the bus(during the day), time that could have been spent riding I thought. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a place, definitely, for bike tours, it's just that you get far more freedom doing it yourself in my opinion as far as riding options.

Fair call. I think we were fortunate to bond really well with a good group of guys. Cadel winning also played a big part! It was awesome to be an Aussie over there this year! :)

40 to 100Km plus beer on the bus is good enough for me ... at the end of the day I'll be on holidays anyway :)

Hi BattleOn,

Thanks for that. I sent them an email with a couple of questions. I don't know if they provide bike renting (I don't want to carry my bike around Europe) and something about "where I come from".

Thanks again,

Yes, they provide bike rental for $300 euro I think. Just check the tour packages for details. The year I went I took my own bike which was a bit of a hassle & eats up your luggage allowance. A few of the airlines eg Emirates give you 30kg in economy class whereas the others only give you about 22kg max. Something to think about as well.

Thanks to everyone. I've booked with Sports Tours. Best value for money I could find (I'll update after the trip on quality). It costs me the same than some others but with more days, a room for myself and including the bike rent. I'm really happy. It even include the TT and the final day.

Now, dear Cadel, could you please re-do what you did in 2011? :)

Hey Oscar,

Well done, hope you have a great time, enjoy...

Especially riding amongst motorists that regard cyclists as human beings!! ;)