Kamal2

Ten Questions With IFoz...

Hello Mark, or Fozzy, as I understand your boss calls you that, so it must be ok. Foz, per agreement, you will be here in the AM...before we start give us a quick clarification/differentiation between you and IronmanFoz....they are 2 different characters, right? Do you know the other one?

1. Foz, what's your professional resume...briefly, I know you have worked and raced in many different countries...you are probably a consultant, engineer? Ok, you did tell me, so briefly what do you do. You can talk about training in different countries if you want.

2. And sports wise, I think you were a runner. So how did you get into triathlon, when and where?

3. I'm calling you Single/Divorced or Separated/Currently in a relationship...would you care to comment...if not move to the next question.

4. A good friend of yours describes you as riotous, a laugh every minute, with never a serious moment, but perhaps I can say you are highly motivated...goal orientated, with a serious focus underneath. How would you describe yourself? Now you can't just say, somewhere in the middle, without elaborating.

5. Mark you did 11:07 at Cairns, a 1 hr 33 min PB....that took you into a zone, I believe, and for the first time you dared to dream abut Kona. But a quick mental calculation suggests you have a bit to find. So breaking it down, where are you going to trim about an hour..I say an hour because you frittered a bit of time at Cairns...but anyway, break it down...how will you bring it down under 10 hours?

6. Hmmm, not sure what you said. But with a marathon PB of 3:29, and a respectable 3:57, IM, one strategy would be to add some focus to the stand alone marathon time......would you agree? How about time management issues? And if you didn't mention it above, how are you going to get to Kona?

7. You do have a coach, Rod Cedaro, specifically what would he say about that? And speaking of Rod, what kind of group does he run? Based where? What percentage of the training is social v serious. How would it compare to a group like AP's....AP has gotten results with less of a fun element...so for you which is more important? Keep in mind that you are currently obsessed with the sport, and a hard task master like Pitman might push you closer to your goals. Maybe what I'm really saying, is if you could get with a coach who could virtually guarantee you a Kona slot, would you change? That's not against Cedaro, it's merely a question.

8 A & B...the two Lisas?

A. Lisa "Sunnygirl", this lady has missed Kona by one place or one roll down, 3 times. Now take a look at what you have written above, what would she have to do to get that slot? And while on that, talk abut the whole gang from the Cairns Challenge..Clown Boy, Coffs Pete, SexyTrimum..others...what will they bring to the table as a group in the future? Any plans? Mention other names if I forgot.

B. Lisa "Dragon Tatoo Lady"..given that you will hook up again in Hong Kong....was that a legitimate racing tactic, tagging along with her on the run at Cairns...or a cleverly disguised ploy to meet her, sacrificing 10 minutes of race time in the process?

9. Mark, when you request a handicap time in a given race, you have to accept the handicap time assigned by the handicapper. So given that you wanted a "piece" of Yo Yo. The allowance is 45 mins over the Cairns course or at Port Mac, if Yo Yo goes there. Given , you are rapidly improving, it should not be a problem, right?

10. Mark, summarising everything you mentioned above...what's the window you would allow yourself to fulfill your goals?

Thanks...and now for the Bonus Q's.

1. You are a Yorkshireman who doesn't play cricket, so take a stab at this. You are batting and the ball hits you on the glove, then onto the body and falls into the pad. Fieldsman runs in and extracts the ball from the pad,,,they appeal for a catch. Is that out? Leave this one if you don't know, someone else will answer.

2. Playing golf in a strong wind, quite a few branches have fallen into the bunkers.So your ball is under a branch and you have no shot. The branch extends both inside and outside the bunker..can you move it?

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Hello Mark, or Fozzy, as I understand your boss calls you that, so it must be ok. Foz, per agreement, you will be here in the AM...before we start give us a quick clarification/differentiation between you and IronmanFoz....they are 2 different characters, right? Do you know the other one?

First up, it's an honour to be singled out by Trannies very own "Michael Parkinson" for an interview. I hope I can do justice to the group of 10Qers.

iFoz(me) and IronmanFoz are two different Trannies. I did get a shock when I saw the new Trannie name appear. I don't know IronmanFoz personally. I sent a welcome to Trannies PM and we exchanged a few messages around the origin of our nicknames and our IM pedigrees. It's first time I've ever had an incident with a common nickname. Mine originated from school when nicknames were issued after a TV show character. I wasn't 'cool' enough to get The Fonz and if you've ever suffered my jokes and puns you'll understand why Fozzie Bear was the natural fit.

Some cheeky questions in there that will require a few hours to compose, edit, drink a red, re-edit, prematurely hit the post button and then worry about the consequences : ) I'll have to get onto that tonight, after swim squad and the run home. (Just too busy at work today, Sorry Kamal).

Later...

Foz

1. Foz, what's your professional resume...briefly, I know you have worked and raced in many different counties...you are probably a consultant, engineer? Ok, you did tell me, so briefly what do you do. You can talk about training in different countries if you want.

Came to Australia in 1981 on a working holiday as a 19 year old lilly white pom, from Stockton-on-Tees. Never looked back.

Worked for Local and State Authorities and Consulting Engineers. My professional life really took off when I joined Maunsell after the demise of my marriage in 1995. A civil designer by qualification, but now I manage people and process rather than designing. I love(d) working on international major projects (North Luzon Expressway, Delhi Metro, Padma River Bridge, Gateway Upgrade Project to name a few), but at the moment I'm based in Brisbane working on corporate initiatives. My travelling halcyon days were between 1997 and 2003 where I worked in Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, India and Australia. But there was no tri training in those locations at that time because I didn't take up triathlon until 2005 after I had relocated back to Brisbane.

In late 2009 and 2010 I trained in four countries en route to my first Ironman, while working on the Padma Bridge Project in Dhaka, Bangladesh. I accepted the assignment to Dhaka after I had already committed myself to IM Aus 2010. More than a few questioned my wisdom to continue with my intention to complete that IM. I was surprised to find a Dhaka Triathlon Club. That was invaluable for putting me in contact with like minded expats struggling to find half decent quality training facilities. I ended up training in Bangladesh, Hong Kong, USA (While attending a conference in Vegas) and Australia of course. Hence, I carried these four country's flags over the finish line.

2. And sports wise, I think you were a runner. So how did you get into triathlon, when and where?

I don't have any athletic background. I played squash fixtures (poorly, never got passed B grade) for a few years in my late teens. It was after one of those matches in the UK, I saw an advert for the North Tyneside Marathon in 1983 and thought I'd like to give that a go. So my squash buddy and I started training for it. I completed it in 3:55 age 21. That was the extent of my athletic resume up to 2005 when I signed up for Mooloolaba. My first 10km tri run time was 1:01, I'm now coverin that in 44 minutes and hope to get down to 40 minutes as my ultimate pace improvement that I can realistically hope to achieve at my age and background.

In October 2004, two weeks after relocating back to Brisbane, my workmate was doing his first Noosa and invited me to Noosa for the weekend to join the fun. Upon experiencing "The Buzz" that surrounds Noosa Tri I was hooked. I had to get in to that and signed up for the following Mooloolaba as a swimmer and a runner, since I didn't have a bike at that stage. I am into scuba diving, but had not swum any distance since high school. Those early days in the pool were very embarassing, I was the original washing machine... people used to through laundry deterent and clothes in the pool behind me. And for my first few tris I was the the last or second last out of the water. Noosa remains my favorite tri on sentimental grounds. I was a participant triathlete until 2009 when I decided I wanted to get serious about my results and start working my way from back of pack towards the front of pack. So I shed 13kg had my health and althletic base case tested (that's when I met Rod C). I've been steadily climbing through the field each year. Cairns was my first top ten result.

3. I'm calling you Single/Divorced or Separated/Currently in a relationship...would you care to comment...if not move to the next question.

No problem, happy to elaborate. I'm separated (but not yet divorced, since '95) but have been in a steady relationship since '99. My current partner lives overseas and I live the work, train, sleep, work, train, sleep life as a single here in Brissie. I notice there's a mention of time management in Q6. However, I don't have partner, young children (mine are grown up) demands on my time and yet I still struggle to fit everything in. I take my hat off to those Trannies that balance a 'normal' raising a family life while trying to complete IM training requirements at the same time. Respect.

4. A good friend of yours describes you as riotous, a laugh every minute, with never a serious moment, but perhaps I can say you are highly motivated...goal orientated, with a serious focus underneath. How would you describe yourself? Now you can't just say, somewhere in the middle, without elaborating.

You sure you spoke to "a friend" of mine to get that response? especially any that are regularly subjected to/tortured by my puns : ) Not sure where to go with this one (a word is only worth 0.001 of a picture).

This links into the Q1 also... Principal Technical Officer (Posh title) and CAD Systems Manager (Role Title) but in reality Driver of Deliveries (projects, not newspapers!), Seeker of Solutions, Purveyor of Projects, Trainer of Trainees, Jack of all Trades and Expert Witness (read:Referee) of ideological CAD disputes and more than occasionally the Office Clown.

Here's an extract of the response I gave to similar question while recruiting in 2006...

- I can imagine what it must feel like to have to put an ad in a lonely hearts column. Happy go lucky CM seeks intelligent and sensitive Designer(s)/Drafter(s) with view to permanent relationship. GSOH, non smoking, social drinker, practical joker, unoffendable, retired head banger from the '80s, drafting nerd, would-be triathlete if I could stop working late and take training seriously. I once ribbed my younger colleague late one night, chasing a deadline, "the reason you're always in here is 'cos you don't have a life and the reason you don't have a life 'cos you're always in here!" I HAVE become that statement.-

Well now it's 2011 and I have taken my triathlon training seriously and use my training regime to ensure I don't spend too much time in the office.

I use my questionable style of humour (Bad puns and Dad jokes a speciality) as a method to:

- defuse tense situations

- ease project pressures

- torture my colleagues, kids and training partners.

5. Mark you did 11:07 at Cairns, a 1 hr 33 min PB....that took you into a zone, I believe and for the first time you dared to dream abut Kona. But a quick mental calculation suggests you have a bit to find. So breaking it down, where are you going to trim about an hour..I say an hour because you frittered a bit of time at Cairns...but anyway, break it down...how will you bring it down under 10 hours?

3 minutes of my "frittered" time at Cairns was at the hands of an overzealous vollie (forgiven) who threw my unopened swim to bike transition bag onto the used bag pile before I'd even opened it. That was a frantic 3 minutes for two vollies and me rumaging through hundreds of idential bags looking for my number.

To get a 10ish IM time to put me at the FOP and in for a chance of a roll down is 1:05, 5:30, 3:30. However, Truck secured a spot with 10:15, his race report for this year fills me with hope.

6. Hmmm, not sure what you said. But with a marathon PB of 3:29, and a respectable 3:57, IM, one strategy would be a add some focus to the stand alone marathon time......would you agree? How about time management issues? And if you didn't mention it above, how are you going to get to Kona?

Yes I'd like to put a 3:30 IM run on my resume.

I shouldn't really have any time management issues given my marital status, so it really comes down to focusing on quality of training and not getting injured in the next few years to ensure consistency in my training regime.

Probably get to Kona on Qantas : )

7. You do have a coach, Rod Cedaro, specifically what would he say about that? And speaking of Rod, what kind of group does he run? Based where? What percentage of the training is social v serious. How would it compare to a group like AP's....AP has gotten results with less of a fun element...so for you which is more important. Keep in mind that your currently obsessed with the sport, and a hard task master like Pitman might push you closer to your goals. Maybe what I'm really saying, is if you could get with a coach who could virtually guarantee you a Kona slot, would you change? That's not against Cedaro, it's merely a question.

Rod's pretty matter of fact about it with me... do the training consistently with focus, avoid injury, stay healthy and the results will follow. No rocket surgery there. Same message comes from Alan if I interpret correctly from his posts. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting and sharing a discussion with Alan yet. Do I believe Rod can prepare me for my best shot? absolutely. It's up to me to follow the advice correctly and diligently.

I'm a bit of a triathlon tart... I'll train with anybody and nobody for some of my sessions I joined Activ following Rod. But you wouldn't call me an active member (bad pun), I mainly swim and run squad with Rod. I would say they are more of a social group than Alan's Cycos. Usually my riding is done solo during the week up and down Mt Coot-tha, and a long ride/short brick on Sunday with a few mates (serial lurkers on here but I wont out them). I've just started to do my mid week brick with Activ on the computrainers follwed by a gallop around West End and Southbank.

8 A & B...the two Lisas?

A. Lisa "Sunnygirl", this lady has missed Kona by one place or one roll down, 3 times. Now take a look at what you have written above, what would she have to do to get that slot? And while on that, talk abut the whole gang from the Cairns Challenge..Clown Boy, Coffs Pete, SexyTrimum..others...what will they bring to the table as a group in the future? Any plans? Mention other names if I forgot.

The postive I would take from the first missed roll down is that I've finally arrived at the FOP. 3 of them! I daren't think how I handle that. SunnyGirl is one tough cookie.

I'm out of time tonight to delve into the Cairns Trannie adventures. I'll come back to that later, with an edit.

B. Lisa "Dragon Tatoo Lady"..given that you will hook up again in Hong Kong....was that a legitimate racing tactic, tagging along with her on the run at Cairns...or a cleverly disguised ploy to meet her, sacrificing 10 minutes of race time in the process?

A slight correction "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and I happen to be competing at Singapore 70.3 (not HK)... Have you been colluding with Coffs Pete? he was trying to play Cupid at Cairns also : )

9. Mark, when you request a handicap time in a given race, you have to accept the handicap time assigned by the handicapper. So given that you wanted a "piece" of Yo Yo. The allowance is 45 mins over the Cairns course or at Port Mac, if Yo Yo goes there. Given , you are rapidly improving, it should not be a problem, right?

Yeah, yeah I get it... never argue with the handicapper or referee : )

"A piece of YoYo" Hmmm, that sounded more aggressive than I intend it. It was born out of Endorphin induced euphoria after Cairns and YoYo became the Proxy World Champion (PWC). I figured as reigning Champ he now has the target on his back. With my intent to take another 30+ minutes off my next IM, I'd like to challenge the PWC to a handicap race. The law of dimishing returns is definitely in my favour. But I fear YoYo isn't racing Port Mac in 2012... are you up for it YoYo?

10. Mark, summarising everything you mentioned above...what's the window you would allow yourself to fulfill your goals?

After my first IM in 2010 and loved it, in another Endorphin induced euphoric state, I said within 5 years, but really as long as it takes or until an external force changes the priorities in my life.

Thanks...and now for the Bonus Q's.

1. You are a Yorkshireman who doesn't play cricket, so take a stab at this. You are batting and the ball hits you on the glove, then onto the body and falls into the pad. Fieldsman runs in and extracts the ball from the pad,,,they appeal for a catch. Is that out? Leave this one if you don't know, someone else will answer.

In my ignorance of Cricket, I'll hazard a guess at the ball hasn't touched the ground so it's a fair "Howzat!"

2. Playing golf in a strong wind, quite a few branches have fallen into the bunkers.So your ball is under a branch and you have no shot. The branch extends both inside and outside the bunker..can you move it?

No... either risk breaking your club with a wild shot or take an unplayble lie drop in another part of the bunker in line with the pin. I say moving it would put you on par with drafting cheats : )

"You sure you spoke to "a friend" of mine to get that response"

We do talk....poor woman likes a chat herself, but she finds it difficult to get in a word with you or me.

BQ1....sorry, it's actually a basic question, perhaps someone else will answer.

BQ2...right....no moving obstructions within a hazard...eg the bunker..

Nice Mark, you played it straight and true.

Don't blame me about your new lady from Hong Kong. I have pics to prove just how close you two were that night.....even closer than Penthouse Pet and SexyTri Mum.....and that's real close! In regard to Fozzy being a good bloke, he travelled all the way up to Bolton to watch me do IMUK and stayed there to the end....and that was a long day. However, he is the master of disguises and appeared as Angus from AC/DC and the Stig. An all round good bloke who should be doing Cairns again this year rather than going to Italy and possibly meeting up with Hong Kong Lady?

OO-ROO

Don't blame me about your new lady from Hong Kong. I have pics to prove just how close you two were that night.....even closer than Penthouse Pet and SexyTri Mum.....and that's real close! In regard to Fozzy being a good bloke, he travelled all the way up to Bolton to watch me do IMUK and stayed there to the end....and that was a long day. However, he is the master of disguises and appeared as Angus from AC/DC and the Stig. An all round good bloke who should be doing Cairns again this year rather than going to Italy and possibly meeting up with Hong Kong Lady?

OO-ROO

You mean to say Pete, that when Fozzy says "Currently in a Relationship" it's one of those generic statements that covers everything, like he was in a relationship before he started the race, and he was still in one when he finished the race, but by that time with a different partner... :shock:

Currently in a relationship for Fozzy is a constant .........probably most of the time in a 'relationship with himself' and realising his ultimate fantasies......someone with the same ideas, drive and kinks. Just joking Old Foz....say Hello to Hong Kong Girl for me.

Hahaha, Coffs Pete, probably far too close to the truth for comfort, that's why I train alone a lot.

Italy 70.3 is firming up, looks like I'll be pulling out of Cairns. A bit sad about missing Cairns, cos the Tranny penthouse will be awesome.

Hello Foz, It's over 3 years now. Let's talk "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", and other less interesting subjects.

1. So Mark. How many IM's have you done since end of 2011, mention HIM's if it ties in?

2. With a new PB of 10:41 and massive gains on the swim/bike, but the run remains static. Is that where the next focus will be?

3. Mate, I think you talked about a 5 year window (or was it me who mentioned that)? How long would you extend that window in order to achieve long term goals? I'm thinking 2-3 more years with a big impact going into 55-59. Is that sustainable?

4. You did change coaches and went with a local Brisbane coach. Here's your to chance to talk about AP, and how he has boosted you these last 6 months?

5. Mate, I'm a big AP follower myself. But really mate, he had you on on some highly unconventional therapy. OK, by referral to a practicioner. This guy had you on worming from the liver via the intestine. Mate, really. Do you actually buy that stuff or is it just part of going along with the program?

6. Would a guy like AP, who would not be known outside of triathlon, be better known in a place like Kona? You get my point, a guy who shows up at Kona 13 times in a row racing different age groups does not go unnoticed.

7. Does triathlon become an obsession? And has it in your case?

8. Now one clear benefit to getting around to all these races is forming a new group of friends, Sunny, PJ, Penthouse, Coffs, others? Lisa's been injured, but PJ and Penthouse have set the bar quite high in terms of performance. Anyone else you care to mention? Is the gang still together.

9. Let's say you show up at Port one year. And for whatever reason you can't race. Kenny Baggs or whoever grabs you and tells you "Mate a few bike marshalls pulled out at the last minute, could you ride pillion and do some draft busting". Would you accept? And if so how would you approach the assignment?

10. Mate. Tatooed Lady may have faded, if not the tattoo, I mean she may have moved on or maybe not. Being single must be tough, yet pictures do tend to filter through on FB, suggesting you and not a solitary as you lead us to believe. Confession time mate. Who is she? From the pictures she maybe of a different ethnicity. This is a throwaway question, you may leave it blank. But consider the amount of trannies who will scan your FB looking for clues.

BONUS QUESTION.

11, Australia won just one gold medal at the 1968 Olympics held in Mexico. Ralph Doubell running 800m, it was our worst ever games. However one athlete attained iconic status from events at the games, even at his recent funeral his magnanamous gesture was remembered.

This athlete won a silver, but what did he do to forge remembrance even now?

1. So Mark. How many IM's have you done since end of 2011, mention HIM's if it ties in?

2011 Challenge Cairns IM 192 1:09:16 5:52:02 3:57:16 11:07:01

2011 Noosa OD 1228 0:30:18 1:14:48 0:46:42 2:31:49

2012 Singapore 70.3 HIM 1034 0:41:18 2:48:17 1:48:06 5:17:41

2012 Ironman Australia IM 1074 1:05:17 5:51:03 3:36:32 10:42:40

2012 Italy 70.3 HIM 1694 0:39:41 3:06:22 1:44:33 5:37:07

2012 Noosa OD 1519 0:27:15 1:15:48 0:45:54 2:28:58

2013 Auckland 70.3 HIM 716 0:35:31 2:47:51 1:46:02 5:12:08

2013 Mooloolaba OD 1110 0:30:28 1:10:52 0:54:10 2:40:11

2013 Ironman Australia IM 1338 1:07:25 5:59:39 4:16:33 11:31:12

2013 Ironman Canada IM 1638 1:10:21 6:32:00 5:25:33 13:23:49

2013 70.3 World Champs HIM 496 0:42:05 3:12:46 1:54:03 5:55:50

2013 Noosa OD 1683 0:29:52 1:17:11 0:52:10 2:39:14

2014 Ironman New Zealand IM 1391 1:06:57 6:32:00 4:05:00 11:57:00

2014 Ironman Malaysia IM 1134 1:11:53 6:13:29 4:18:14 11:52:53

2014 Noosa OD 3981 0:27:39 1:12:26 0:46:24 2:26:29

2014 Ironman West AustraliaIM 1475 1:03:36 5:35:16 3:57:13 10:41:17

2. With a new PB of 10:41 and massive gains on the swim/bike, but the run remains static. Is that where the next focus will be?

I would expect more running on my program, but I've only been with AP for six months, so I'm dutifully following the program... He who has the track record of getting an enormous number of triathletes to Kona, must be followed.

Reviewing my yearly volumes between 2012 and 2014, 2012 had more running, but significantly less swimming and cycling.

3. Mate, I think you talked about a 5 year window (or was it me who mentioned that)? How long would you extend that window in order to achieve long term goals? I'm thinking 2-3 more years with a big impact going into 55-59. Is that sustainable?

My 5 year to Kona plan took a big setback in 2013; when I was assigned to Doha, Qatar. Qatar's Tri Club Doha was only just forming when I arrived, climate, quality training venues and availability (due to workloads) was extremely difficult. I trained for IM Canada and 70.3 World Champs on a gym bike. Hence, two personal worsts. I returned home in February 2014 in time to race IM NZ. The race level I had achieved for my PB in 2012 was gone. I was back to square one. Given I had lost 14 months due to work commitments, my original plan is now pushed out to by Kona 2016.

The legacy lottery has appeared since the original 10Q. Would I take one of them? yes. It doesn't stop me continuing to try for a conventional qualification afterwards. Five more IMs to complete before I'm elegible for legacy though.

4. You did change coaches and went with a local Brisbane coach. Here's your to chance to talk about AP, and how he has boosted you these last 6 months?

When Rod C relocated to the southern states, I just followed my regular training rhythm but not really being challenged. I felt a draw towards AP for some time. I had three months binge-ing post IM NZ 2014 and needed to shake off a general malaise. AP advertised Boot Camp and that was just the thing I needed. It was a small crew and cameraderie grew strong between the Boot Campers. (I was the sole Red Dog amongst the Cycos). After graduating from Boot Camp I commissioned AP to program me through to IM Malaysia. I'd become a Cyco. My program volume went up by 25% over what I was doing on my own. Swimming increased to six days a week. (Three days with Red Dog and three days with Cycos). Bike mileage increased significantly too. Running volume decreased, which points to your comment in Q2.

So far I have absorbed the increased volume without injury. Phew.

I went to IM Malaysia full of confidence, but didn't perform very well on the day. A bike split that left a lot to be desired, though I felt I'd raced it well. Looking for redemption quickly, I signed up for IM WA just before it closed. AP programmed me through to that. A 2.5 minute swim PB and 15 minute Bike PB and overall PB resulted in IM WA being my best race to date and restored my confidence. However, still only achieving 19th place still has me wondering just how much more I have to/can lift to get to pointy end.

Am I happy with what AP has helped me to achieve under his coaching over the past six months? Very much so. He's likened me to diesel engine and is working out how to remove my rev limiter! (I thought it was 'cos I belched out shit : ) )

5. Mate, I'm a big AP follower myself. But really mate, he had you on on some highly unconventional therapy. OK, by referral to a practicioner. This guy had you on worming from the liver via the intestine. Mate, really. Do you actually buy that stuff or is it just part of going along with the program?

I'm a natural skeptic, however, I have no evidence to discount the methods or materials. I've been described as quirky before so I'm not averse to alternative ideas. I go along with it until I have reason not to. Some swear by it, some scoff, for me... the jury is still out.

6. Would a guy like AP, who would not be known outside of triathlon, be better known in a place like Kona? You get my point, a guy who shows up at Kona 13 times in a row racing different age groups does not go unnoticed.

OI! this thread is about me.. not AP. Stay on topic :naughty:

Not sure I understand this question. Kona or Brisbane I think the same applies... if you're outside the tri community.

7. Does triathlon become an obsession? And has it in your case?

Depends on the individual and why they tri. In my case a resounding YES!

With nobody else making demands on my time (apart from work) it's a fantastic lifestyle, surrounding myself with positive people.

8. Now one clear benefit to getting around to all these races is forming a new group of friends, Sunny, PJ, Penthouse, Coffs, others? Lisa's been injured, but PJ and Penthouse have set the bar quite high in terms of performance. Anyone else you care to mention? Is the gang still together.

So is this a Trannies celebrity name dropping query? :trumpet:

I like being able to put faces to names at each event. IM Malaysia I was able to meet Bored@Work, briefly as I ran past, Nath, Jo and Pete Coombes and few others whose name escapes me right now.(Sorry Guys). IM Busso I met Stikman and Ten Pints. Always good to catch up with Ratdog and Niseko (when I'm in Singapore). I haven't seen much of the Challenge Cairns Trannie crew for some time. Some have gone very quiet on FB too. Or maybe I've been blocked by them :thumbdown:

9. Let's say you show up at Port one year. And for whatever reason you can't race. Kenny Baggs or whoever grabs you and tells you "Mate a few bike marshalls pulled out at the last minute, could you ride pillion and do some draft busting". Would you accept? And if so how would you approach the assignment?

I'd jump at the chance, however, don't you have to be an accredited TO to do that?

My policy would be to warn of encroachemnt, help competitors stay legal, but be unforgiving for repeat offenders.

Swarms and those that make no attempt to ride legal are my pet hates. I may return to this question(with an edit to this post) but for now I know you'll want these answers posted ASAP.

10. Mate. Tatooed Lady may have faded, if not the tattoo, I mean she may have moved on or maybe not. Being single must be tough, yet pictures do tend to filter through on FB, suggesting you are not as solitary as you lead us to believe. Confession time mate. Who is she? From the pictures she maybe of a different ethnicity. This is a throwaway question, you may leave it blank. But consider the amount of trannies who will scan your FB looking for clues.

I still keep in touch with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (TGWTDT), via FB and we catch up when I pass through Singapore. Over a few bottles of red, we resolved that my best chance for Kona is at IM UK. TGWTDT turned down her Kona slot from IM UK, after winning her age group, So she knows what it takes to win there.

Being single must be tough? NO WAY. It's great... most of the time.

I have no significant other to distract me away from IM at this time ; )

BONUS QUESTION.

11, Australia won just one gold medal at the 1968 Olympics held in Mexico. Ralph Doubell running 800m, it was our worst ever games. However one athlete attained iconic status from events at the games, even at his recent funeral his magnanamous gesture was remembered.

This athlete won a silver, but what did he do to forge remembrance even now?

Hmmmm, it would be easy to cheat right now and go to Google, but I vaguely recall an Aussie being associated with the Black Power salute...

am I even close?

Edited by iFoz

Good on you Fozzy! Not only Angus, The Stig, but also Mark Waugh, fully kitted out. There is no other Trannie mate who will support me like you have at Bolton and Hawaii. Waiting all day and night for an uneventful finish and then helping to walk me home. Plus, did I mention, that on both occasions, Fozzie flew into Hawaii esp for the event and travelled from London and his parent's birthday or anniversary to watch me at Bolton, about 700 kms away? So, don't get the wrong idea ladies.....He is still single and available for outings and will consider marriage after a qualifying period!

Oh, and did I mention his performances at the Very Famous Trannie Beer Miles, esp dressed as The St......., Woops, almost gave away his alter ego. However, we organized the Urban Girls to act as his pit crew in 2012 and have a look at The St.... in action.

youtube/watch?v=iKemZfzexVzM

And, may I be so bold as to mention, that at the Very Famous Trannie Beer Mile at IMOz 2015, there will now be 4 IMOz Hall of Famers representing all facets of IMOz.

And, because of The St...., there could well be a very exclusive award at Trannie Beer Mile!

Well done Kamalarrowsmith and iFoz. See you at IMOz?

You need 25-30mins on the bike for a course like Busso to be up there - reckon that's a really tough one to qualify from as well with Boyes winning it most of the time and there normally only being one other slot. 190w in a good aero position will get you there. Might not like the course but try Mel with more slots allocated which makes it more achievable for the 'normal' hard working athlete :)

"Well done Kamalarrowsmith and iFoz. See you at IMOz?"

Thanks Pete (Bold Font will not go off), how I wish I could be there, despite my IM days being well and truly over.

I will however be in Cairns by mid year and staying up to 24 months. So ultimately will rejoin the tranny gang, hoping for that.

Coach's report

Foz has fitted into the Cycos group very well - what I see as the area for most improvement in the athletes who are close, but not quite there for qualification, is the mental game. Foz is an engineer, like accountants and air traffic controllers, they're cautious people. They're not big risk takers. Compared to guys who work in sales, or contracting, these guys take risks every day. The engineers have spent their lives covering all the bases. My breakthrough with Foz is going to come when he becomes less cautious.

He has made great progress already and is improving daily, he will make it. I can't coach him like a risk taking salesman, we have to build his self belief on results achieved in training. He has improved in all areas, by being challenged, and overcoming those challenges. He is a strong club person and this works in his favour, because the squad has a contagious momentum. He is being dragged along with the group.I look forward to his HOTW race in around ten days. He's due to let loose. I'm expecting his result at HOTW to boost his confidence, which will carry over into his Ironman performance.

He's a tough guy who has no physical weaknesses, his technique is good in all disciplines, it's his steady improvement in self belief which will give him the result he's chasing.

You need 25-30mins on the bike for a course like Busso to be up there - reckon that's a really tough one to qualify from as well with Boyes winning it most of the time and there normally only being one other slot. 190w in a good aero position will get you there. Might not like the course but try Mel with more slots allocated which makes it more achievable for the 'normal' hard working athlete :)

Truck, I finished 1hr 25mins!!! behind Mr Boyes at Busso. I was targetting top ten, for a 10:30, (not seriously contending for even a roll down). But even the top ten ended at 10:14 in 2014.

AP, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll keep chipping away. (For those still reading by this point, Boot Camp 2 is currently at day 10 of 15).

Coffs Pete, good work, never let an opportunity for a Beer Mile plug go by. : )

Great Stuff Foz and Kamal.

Though I would like to pick up Kamal on one point. Mexico was not as bad for the Australian team as you mentioned. We won 5 gold medals including two for Michael Wenden in the pool where he beat the brash young Mark Spitz. Of course the big disappointment was Ron Clarke who did not deal with the altitude very well.

As for the athlete you mentioned in the question the most amazing thing for me is that I think his time from the 68 Olympics is still the Australian 200 mtr record. Unbelievable given it is was nearly 50 years ago. Says a bit about our male sprinters.

Edited by Mr Flower

As for the athlete you mentioned in the question the most amazing thing for me is that I think his time from the 68 Olympics is still the Australian 200 mtr record. Unbelievable given it is was nearly 50 years ago. Says a bit about our male sprinters.

Despite qualifying multiple times for 1972, they wouldn't select him. 20.06 is that record.

The AOC, in 2012, wouldn't support a parliamentary motion to recognise the life of PN. Made up some excuse that they never had a problem with him but even in 2000 in Sydney it was clear he wasn't welcome. The two Americans with him on that dias acknowledged the bravery and importance of what he did when he passed in 2006 and carried his coffin.

As per the headline in the Age when he died, 'tell your kids about PN'

In 2006, the U.S. track and field fed named October 9 as PN Day.

Great Stuff Foz and Kamal.

Though I would like to pick up Kamal on one point. Mexico was not as bad for the Australian team as you mentioned. We won 5 gold medals including two for Michael Wenden in the pool where he beat the brash young Mark Spitz. Of course the big disappointment was Ron Clarke who did not deal with the altitude very well.

Oops Mark, sorry. I went off memory again.

Despite qualifying multiple times for 1972, they wouldn't select him. 20.06 is that record.

The AOC, in 2012, wouldn't support a parliamentary motion to recognise the life of PN. Made up some excuse that they never had a problem with him but even in 2000 in Sydney it was clear he wasn't welcome. The two Americans with him on that dias acknowledged the bravery and importance of what he did when he passed in 2006 and carried his coffin.

As per the headline in the Age when he died, 'tell your kids about PN'

In 2006, the U.S. track and field fed named October 9 as PN Day.

It was remarkable in that a white man could split 2 great American black athletes over that distance. Tommie Smith set a WR that day and John Carlos had set a similar time in the US Olympic trials but it was never ratified.

I guess you would have to be a certain age to remember all that. What I recall is IOC President Avery Brungage did not take the gesture well. Although as rumored, the medals were not stripped, Smith and Carlos were kicked off the American team and sent home....later to achieve iconic status not only as athletes.

Read about it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Olympics_Black_Power_salute

Despite qualifying multiple times for 1972, they wouldn't select him. 20.06 is that record" (Leon)

At altitude and will probably never be lowered by an Aussie.

Bob Beamon set that incredible long jump record by 21 inches ,same games.