Guest C.C

Strava.com

Guest C.C

Bob8fred put me onto this site which is basically as he described it "Facebook for cyclists". A great way to check out how you are going against your mates and anyone else who has ridden the same courses. segments are set by users (anyone can create one) and anytime you upload your ride it will automatically give times and rankings for each segment you ride through. Anyone with a Garmin GPS can upload (not sure about other devices).

Maybe we could start a Trannies group for some serious sledging...?

http://www.strava.com/

Edited by C.C

I've been using it for a few months now and find it a bit of a motivator when I'm out there suffering towards the end of a long ride and find myself coming up to one of the "segments" to try and set a PR. I would like to upgrade to the premium version but really for $60 a year it's just a toy for me. If Trannies were to start a group on there I might consider it a worthwhile investment.

I think this site should be banned - two hits and I am a complete addict.

So I'm like, 50/195 (41.5 km/hr) on Pit straight at Albert Park Lake to Phil Anderson 7/195 (48.5 km/hr). I am so gonna line up for this segment on the cervelo with all the good gear for a rolling start and flat out effort to put Skippy to bed with his measly 452 watts for 1.06 - Golden cheetah reckons I can pull 630 watts over that distance so Phil and his Oppy is goooinnn dowwwn!!! Dooownnn!! :lol::lol::lol:

OMG! What has this site turned me into..?!

Guest C.C

I think this site should be banned - two hits and I am a complete addict.

So I'm like, 50/195 (41.5 km/hr) on Pit straight at Albert Park Lake to Phil Anderson 7/195 (48.5 km/hr). I am so gonna line up for this segment on the cervelo with all the good gear for a rolling start and flat out effort to put Skippy to bed with his measly 452 watts for 1.06 - Golden cheetah reckons I can pull 630 watts over that distance so Phil and his Oppy is goooinnn dowwwn!!! Dooownnn!! :lol::lol::lol:

OMG! What has this site turned me into..?!

You're like a bloody kid with a new toy! :smile1: Phil will be shakin' in his boots!

Just set up on it two weeks ago. Still poking around but it's much better than the Garmin Connect site.

Logging some big km's I see. :)

Struth!! - I think I broke it!

I started uploading tons of .TCX files from the last 12 months -. It was processing a heap simultaneously and it just went bang.

That was few hours ago, and it's still not back :-(

Logging some big km's I see. :)

Ha! Yep, as trinube pointed out, did the Double Gong yesterday with a mate whose Dad has MS. Now that that's over I can skip the longer rides :lol:

Maybe we could start a Trannies group for some serious sledging...?

http://www.strava.com/

Done! You can find it under clubs - just do a search for Transitions.

There is also a free strava app (in the iphone app store, not sure about android) for those that don't want to do the whole garmin uploady thingy.

Done! You can find it under clubs - just do a search for Transitions.

There is also a free strava app (in the iphone app store, not sure about android) for those that don't want to do the whole garmin uploady thingy.

Done - hope to contribute some big climbing miles with the ACE 250 at the alpine classic in January (that's if I survive the ride and get my Garmin back to civilisation for an upload... ) :lol:

Anyone feel like explaining how it all works in simple terms and which package you have?

I have looked at it a couple of times but not progressed...

Anyone feel like explaining how it all works in simple terms and which package you have?

Register upload files, wait and while and it will do everything else

Click on your profile and check out your KOM's that will be a good start

fluro

Just register and then upload any files you have. it will automatically overlay it over all the segments it has - and there are heaps of them - and you can check out our performance against all others that have done it in the past.

Every ride is always a race, but now it has race results too! :lol:

Can you bulk upload?

Yep. It will load all new sessions on your Garmin automatically, but I think you have to do actual files one-by-one.

Nice! always wanting more people on this website. makes it even more fun when you know the people you are versing.. i mean riding with... =)

Now can someone figure out how we can create a challenge? some other clubs have got challenges going. Most K's in a week most meters climbed. some clubs even have segments for challenges

Example http://app.strava.com/events/181/news

Edited by bob8fred

This is COOL.

Love this site.

Have you noticed a certain local a-grader that has been demolishing all the local strava sections around here? I call him "The Stravanator" !

Have you noticed a certain local a-grader that has been demolishing all the local strava sections around here? I call him "The Stravanator" !

Around which part of Melbourne?

OMG - I think I have committed the greatest of all sins in Strava....!

I left my 500 on in the car after today's tri and uploaded the file so I could create a WSTC bike course segment but, of course, it used the track from the car journey as well. :(

Unfortunately there was a segment on that journey and I am now the KOM with an enormously fast bike time!!! Have tried to crop that section out of the ride but it throws an error and won't let me do it. So tried deleting the file - same thing happens.

What can I do...? I think I have just p1ssed off a hundred or so local riders who will no doubt not be happy about this obvious piece of (inadvertant) cheating..!!!

I used my real name in Strava - they can find me. THey will find me. I am toast! What can I do...?! Who's that knocking on the door.....

Who's that knocking on the door.....

Correct... since I presume the end point of the "ride" is your home address!!

it is facebook for electronic athletes- all the people who used to need to put their workout up on facebook for their mates to see now use Strava instead

.......apart from compare and top of the pops tables it is completely f-king useless other than a basic diary

i know a lot of people who use it for that reason alone- if thats all you want it for then great

easy to use good graphics and motivational tool but no real depth beyond that

Edited by Jimmy C

it is facebook for electronic athletes- all the people who used to need to put their workout up on facebook for their mates to see now use Strava instead

.......apart from compare and top of the pops tables it is completely f-king useless other than a basic diary

i know a lot of people who use it for that reason alone- if thats all you want it for then great

easy to use good graphics and motivational tool but no real depth beyond that

Yesm but It's a bit more than that JC - it is a dynamic version of cycle2max http://www.cycle2max.com/ that is probably fairer (if you don't get in a car!) and more accurate. In some ways you could even use it as a basic timing system for a group event (i know at least one, loosely organised race where this was done)

And Steno - affirm on the home address. I'm getting outa here!!! :lol:

I left my 500 on in the car after today's tri and uploaded the file so I could create a WSTC bike course segment but, of course, it used the track from the car journey as well. :(

Unfortunately there was a segment on that journey and I am now the KOM with an enormously fast bike time!!! Have tried to crop that section out of the ride but it throws an error and won't let me do it. So tried deleting the file - same thing happens.

What can I do...? I think I have just p1ssed off a hundred or so local riders who will no doubt not be happy about this obvious piece of (inadvertant) cheating..!!!

I used my real name in Strava - they can find me. THey will find me. I am toast! What can I do...?! Who's that knocking on the door.....

Yes that is a big sin Pete on Strava. There are idiots riding around on scooters with their 500's and its pretty obvious. Best way is to go to your ride click Actions and delete ride or flag it.

I have been on this site for about a year and its fantastic. An excellent place to store your training data also. For $60 a year its also well worth joining up for the premium membership.

I had a dodgy segment on an upload I did a while back which had me 1st on a section of the local crit circuit. The garmin file was fine, so it was Strava that messed it up. I emailed Strava to ask them to fix it and never heard back, so I'm still 1st. I don't want to remove the whole file because it has some legitimate PB's on it also.

Edited by alchemy

Around which part of Melbourne?

Williamstown, Yarraville, Spotswood, Altona way. A quick glance at any segment in these areas will show the same names again and again. Suggested to said individual this morning to check in to rehab before his addition eats his life away.... :lol:

Strava newbie question:

So if I download the app onto my Android phone (with inbuilt GPS), and run it whilst out on a ride - when I upload, it'll automatically detect if I've gone over any hill-climbs, and add my time for that 'segment' to the ranking list, right? So I don't have to click any start/finish buttons during the ride - just at the very start and very end?

Thanks,.

Abby

Ive just joined the group.

Uploading is going to be tedious until ive done them all.

I have just got into it too...pretty good site just wish I could track swim details there too.

Need to get my head around automatic uploading with the garmin, but at the moment I am working on my back catalogue.

Ive just joined the group.

Uploading is going to be tedious until ive done them all.

You can bulk upload to the email provided. May save you some time.

If you get a chance check out Mt William Summit (Grampians, Victoria)

2km ride from the car park up to an navigation aid facility serviced by a sealed road that is closed to traffic.

Distance 1.9 km Avg Grade 11.9% Elev Difference 231 meters Elev Gain 231 meters

Whilst the average gradient is 11.9 % it has sections that are, according to the strava elevation profile, that are between 40 and 50%!

This thing is seriously awesome - at one stage I had to see-saw across the road off the seat on a 39/27 at almost zero km/hr literally bendng the crank just to stay upright!! Could this be the hardest climb in Australia..?!

Edited by Pete