Sign in to follow this  
Tired

10 with trifun

So I heard a rumour of the demise of this wonderful thread in another thread so tough – who should we roast next?

Now over to the old man…..

1. I hear that you have been around forever (25 Noosa club someone said), your sports bio please (since childhood)? How did you get into triathlon?

2. This site has a bit of a skew towards Ironman, have you ever done an IM? or maybe later?

3. I hear your results over the years (decades?) have varied proportionally to you weight, what weight do race at, what are your seasonal fluctuations?

4. What are your best times / distances – getting better or worse ? If the latter, what strategy would you employ to get back there (or where-ever it is that you would like to go)?

5. What are you training for next & with whom?

6. Apparently there is a footy team of little “Trifunts” (term pat pend) , has/will that impacted on the training? Are they following in your wake?

7. As a reputed gear freak (awesome bike by the way), do you do your own bike maintainence?

8. You seem to have been on this site for a while now but with a relatively low post count – “please explain?”

9. Why do you organise a Tri in Hervey Bay? Why an OD? I heard you did the same 10 years ago – why stop?

10. Is it true that RS is your love child?

1. I hear that you have been around forever (25 Noosa club someone said), your sports bio please (since childhood)? How did you get into triathlon?

About 300 Tri's, inc 27 * Noosa, 2 * ITU worlds, 12 *Long Course (2/80/20), 2 * 3/4 (3/130/30). 1st race was Bundy (Bagara SLSC) OD in 1984 beat some chap called Hayden Kenny which impressed the GF (now wife) so thought I'd do it again. (allways whistfull that I missed Noosa that year coz nobody told me about it)

2. This site has a bit of a skew towards Ironman, have you ever done an IM? or maybe later?

No and maybe. Frankly I find it a bit boring I really prefer to try and go fast - that's why I like OD, a healthy mix of speed & endurance.

3. I hear your results over the years (decades?) have varied proportionally to you weight, what weight do race at, what are your seasonal fluctuations?

My results were in a gently decline for a decade or so then while our 3rd child was in in the RWH NICU I put on a kilo a week (she was there for 16 weeks) the next year was a tress full blur followed by a career change, a couple of (chocolate fuelled) uni degrees and finally I reached 97kg. Decided enough was enough and dropped 25 over the next 6 months as the training ramped up. Final race weight for Gold Coast was 72kg but back up to about 77 now (and 15 min slower). Personally I feel most comfortable at about 74 (below 73 I get asked if ill or something....)

4. What are your best times / distances – getting better or worse ? If the latter, what strategy would you employ to get back there (or where-ever it is that you would like to go)?

I've gone under 2hrs (OD) about a dozen times but you can't trust all courses. My two outing at the worlds were 2:00:17 (in '91) & 2:01:13 (in '09), best Noosa was 1:59:50 . Frankly I dont expect to go under 2 hours again on a measured course (I'd like to. but remember I'll be 48 soon) - I think there is still hope for me at under 2:05 Strategy - train consistently and keep a min of 3m away from any chocolate (as if).

5. What are you training for next & with whom?

Mooloolaba - qualify for NZ or don't (no more jetsetting round the country to multiple qualifying races) - might be more realistic to aim for the UK after HBT is fully established & I can trim back the 600 hrs a year that is taking up.

6. Apparently there is a footy team of little “Trifunts” (term pat pend) , has/will that impacted on the training? Are they following in your wake?

K (17.99), M (16.0), J (14.5), B (13.1), - makes four - two of each - impact (your kidding right?) - got heaps of training done when I did some country service for a couple of years and came home every weekend (12 sessions a week) - now I am happy with 9 sessions a week. Only B does tri's these days - though the others have all dabbled at them (we do have family memberships in our local club & TriQld - just in case). K lists her hobby as music and sport as shopping (both will get curtailed at uni next year I imagine).

7. As a reputed gear freak (awesome bike by the way), do you do your own bike maintainence?

Thank you, I do like my toys. About 95% of the work the 12 bikes around here gets done by me.

8. You seem to have been on this site for a while now but with a relatively low post count – “please explain?”

If I have nothing constructive (or funny (in my stilted opinion)) I try to keep my fingers to myself.

9. Why do you organise a Tri in Hervey Bay? Why an OD? I heard you did the same 10 years ago – why stop?

Because while many recognised the potential of the venue no-one else (sensibly) wanted to take on the project. OD - see above. yes a long term friend and I launched our event in 1988 but after 10 years we both needed to get a few other things done (plus a mutual friend died on the course one year) - tried to get the event carried on by another RD but he had probs also and sold his whole series to a third party who ceased the less profitable events (like kept about 2 / 6 going).

10. Is it true that RS is your love child?

No. But I do know his mother.

Hope that helps.

Edited by trifun

On 11/11/2011 at 1:39 PM, Tired said:

I hear Noosa entry is gaurented after 10 appearences,

is it free when you get to 30+ finishes?

Has it needed to be 30?