Sign in to follow this  
swanny

Nutrition - How much is enough ?

Hi All,

I ran the Melbourne Marathon yesterday and it was the first time i have covered the distance in about 20 years. The longest run i did in training for the run was around 25km, main reason being that my 'A' race this year is 70.3 Canberra in December and the marathon was really just for the experience in covering the distance.

My nutrition for the race was basically that i had 1x torq gel around 10mins prior to the start and then had one more gel at each 10km split. I only had water during the run at the aid stations too.

The gels equate to 28g of carbs each so a total of 140g of carbs for the entire run. I haven't really looked into my nutrition in the past and whilst this plan appeared to be ok for me, what would other do for such a distance ? what would you consume, how much and how often ?

I can see where this discussion could be headed...

But..

I haven't done anything over 4 1/2 hours except for long rides and don't have any science behind this but found that simply a gel every 30mins, with taking on coke and water, sometimes ill throw a bar in there also.

Like I said simple, and this is for races, for normal training I do carry some bars and fruit on longer rides but don't want to get into the "training on water only discussion again" lol

Nutrition is not an exact science. 1st marathon I did 2009 took 8 gels. Last marathon in Sydney 2011 - just had 1 and did quicker.

The fitter u become the lesser u need. On Sunday I did 2/60/15 Tri on 1 snickers and 1 gel. I sound like a elitist tool but just telling u as it is and I'm only ok fit.

• Like 1