Sign in to follow this  
AP

Ten Questions with Pete Jacobs

1 - How long will you rest and recovery after that great effort in Hawaii? Before you race again.

2 - Your self belief has stepped up another notch over the last 12months, after running the fastest time in 2010, has this Hawaii Ironman result raised the belief even further? Is more possible?

3 - How important do you think altitude training could be to your next preparation?

4 - Your bike split is faster than you've ever recorded in Hawaii, what specific changes did you make to your preparation?

5 - Age groupers watching your performance have been inspired, you have obviously mastered Hawaii's conditions, you have reached a position where your advice is valued highly, what advice would give to an age group competitor who didn't reach his potential this year regarding handling Hawaii's specific demands?

6 - Being an Ironman athlete at the elite level can be a lonely, isolated life, Macca, Crowie and you are all supported by a strong family unit, wives, parents and friends, what percentage of your performance do you attribute to this support?

7 - To pull out a record breaking performance like this must take a lot of emotional energy, to prepare meticulously over several months for one big day in October must make demands on your social life, how long does one need to focus all of ones energy on an event like this to race to his potential?

8 - To run a 2.42 marathon off the bike in Hawaii's heat must involve going to the bottom of the barrel, Dave Scott focussed his whole year around Hawaii, he beat a lot of athletes who raced a lot more often, is it possible to go to the bottom of that barrel, more than once in a year?

9 - Will you race an Ironman in Australia in the next 12months?

10 - Taking into consideration that there may have been ten men in the world who have the necessary talent to race at the front of the Hawaii Ironman, what percentage of an 8.09 Ironman is "mental" compared to physical strength and fitness

Nice work AP, looking forward to his replies.

Be interesting to see what PJ thinks it will take to win? More improvement on the bike? Hope that Alexander doesn't come back next year?

Nice work AP, looking forward to his replies.

Be interesting to see what PJ thinks it will take to win? More improvement on the bike? Hope that Alexander doesn't come back next year?

I was talking to PJ down at the pier this morning and I asked him that same question about what he needs to do do win here

His comeback was

I think "I'll be ready in a couple of years and that should be when crowie retires"

Seemed to be very relaxed and was getting heaps of concrats by all

Super nice bloke

Cheers

Ip

Edited by ironpo

His comeback was

I think "I'll be ready in a couple of years and that should be when crowie retires"

... and before the Brownlee brothers think about going long...

(I'm totally on the PJ bandwagon. I hope he wins in Kona soon. But after yesterday, Crowie will be my number one any time he races.)

... and before the Brownlee brothers think about going long...

Just as the reigning IM champion struggled to keep up with the ITU guys - similar thing will happen the other way round. Dont under estimate the talent of those who go long....

I'd love to see the Browlees being fried on the lava fields - it's quite a different sport to what they're good at :shock:

• Like 1

Good questions there big bad wolf. I have a few more.

Question 11- Who are your sponsors?

posted by RS 1528pm Monday

1 - How long will you rest and recovery after that great effort in Hawaii? Before you race again.

I won't race again until february at Geelong long course. I will rest a few weeks before getting back into regular movement, but will do a few easy swim/bike/run/surf over the next few weeks to catch up with friends and enjoy he sunshine (if there is any). But a few only means 3.

2 - Your self belief has stepped up another notch over the last 12months, after running the fastest time in 2010, has this Hawaii Ironman result raised the belief even further? Is more possible?

Yes, I do believe it a lot more now that I can win this race. I was doubting myself on the bike as I wasn't feeling great, missed a split in the pack a few people ahead of me at about 75km and once we turned at Hawi I felt I was way out of contention and this race wasn't for me. I kept a rhythm back to town with a few others, but didn't feel great, and was surprised to hear I was only about 5 minutes behind Craig in T2. I can definitely ride better than I did, and I can definitely run faster than I did.

3 - How important do you think altitude training could be to your next preparation?

I'm not giving any thought to altitude training at this stage.

4 - Your bike split is faster than you've ever recorded in Hawaii, what specific changes did you make to your preparation?

Well for starters it was favourable conditions relative to previous years. But I was riding a lot better leading into the race due to getting a computrainer, and spending a lot of time on it, even when the weather outside was rideable. I also rode on average about 3hrs per week more than last year.

5 - Age groupers watching your performance have been inspired, you have obviously mastered Hawaii's conditions, you have reached a position where your advice is valued highly, what advice would give to an age group competitor who didn't reach his potential this year regarding handling Hawaii's specific demands?

I think I am lucky to naturally be able to handle the heat, particularly on the run better than most, but I still took care to take on plenty of salt. My bottles were loaded with Shotz salt tabs and gels, and I had a spare flask loaded with salt. I also believe that any inefficiencies in running technique make it a lot harder to run well in Hawaii. In this heat, a slighter higher heart rate from a slightly less efficient technique makes a big difference.

6 - Being an Ironman athlete at the elite level can be a lonely, isolated life, Macca, Crowie and you are all supported by a strong family unit, wives, parents and friends, what percentage of your performance do you attribute to this support?

I can't put a percentage on it, but it means a lot. I'm incredibly lucky that my parents have been able to support me and take me to swim training since I was 3years old all the way through my teenage years. They also influenced me greatly on what I hold dear to me, and what makes me happy. My older brother and sister have also always been inspirational and motivational in all aspects of life - they tell me when I'm being an idiot like only a brother or sister could too. And my wife is the most beautiful caring person I have ever met and she makes up for the selfish side life I lead as a triathlete, but I do carry that into other parts of my life, and she is the balance in my world, and the biggest love in my life. I am just so lucky to have such a strong family and friends rock to stand on.

7 - To pull out a record breaking performance like this must take a lot of emotional energy, to prepare meticulously over several months for one big day in October must make demands on your social life, how long does one need to focus all of ones energy on an event like this to race to his potential?

I've been in "lock down" since august. That means I've been had very little social time, spare time is spent on massage and rest. Not only does this help the physical performance in training and the race but also gives the mental training needed. Giving up other things is as much for the mental preparation as it is the physical training. My preparation only started in June for swim, late june for bike, and july for the run, as I'd had a stress fracture in my foot. I would definitely have liked to have had an extra month of running before the race, and also some more confidence that my foot was going to be perfectly fine - muscle tightness often felt like the stress fracture might be coming back.

8 - To run a 2.42 marathon off the bike in Hawaii's heat must involve going to the bottom of the barrel, Dave Scott focussed his whole year around Hawaii, he beat a lot of athletes who raced a lot more often, is it possible to go to the bottom of that barrel, more than once in a year?

I'm not sure. Certainly the heat in Hawaii requires some serious run ability, and technique. And hawaii could only be done once a year. I am only running the fastest because I believe I have the most efficient running technique (for me). What I went through on the run this year was much harder than last year, and I'm still struggling to walk, and will not feel normal for a week or 2. I'm absolutely buggered.

9 - Will you race an Ironman in Australia in the next 12months?

Definitely. I'm not sure if it will be Melbourne or Port Macquarie. But placing second gives me a lot of points, so racing the bigger races just for points will not be a factor thankfully.

10 - Taking into consideration that there may have been ten men in the world who have the necessary talent to race at the front of the Hawaii Ironman, what percentage of an 8.09 Ironman is "mental" compared to physical strength and fitness

I don't think I had a great day physically. I didn't feel great on the bike and was wavering mentally a little bit in the last 90km. But not being mentally aware and in control of my body would have lost me 2nd place.

Edited by pj81
  • Like 2

sorry it took a few days to write! haha. have been busy and tired and sore! cheers.

thanks for all the support everyone.

And I didn't say "I'll win when crowie retires", at least I certainly wasn't thinking that.

cheers

Pete Jacobs.

Thanks Pete,

Really good to read your comments and get your insight. You are really nicely placed to take over from the old guns and maintain the Aussie winning streak at Kona. Well done on an absolutely brilliant race. Australia is just dominating in long course at the moment.

Great stuff Pete. Your progression over the last 5 years has been awesome and it will continue. You will be No. 1 soon. We believe in you.

Mark Fiore

What sport can you think of that allows you the time, thoughts and feelings of elite ahtletes on a little website like this ? A lot of our elite pros are happy to share stories, talk casually face-to-face and offer support and advice. Yes, our sport is a fringe sport but that doesn't dent the personality and enthusiasm of our elite triathletes.

Thanks for your comments Pete and great result.

FM

PS: I thought is was funny that they were following Raelert in the last few hundred metres then MJ was announcing him 2nd place but then said, no wait - its Pete Jacobs. Way to stun the commentators !!

• Like 1

awesome stuff PJ and congrats again on a brilliant race. After having spent a good amount of time chatting with your amazing parents while they were here in Port, I can certainly appreciate the value of your family support.

Totally awesome performance coming back from injury after IMOZ. Its great to see that we have someone so talented in the mix that doesnt come from the Shire.

Its interesting that Altitude training has been tauted as the best thing since sliced bread yet you have been setting the world alight without it. Or do you have an altitude capsule?

Who are your sponsors? Lets give them some love.

PJ vs Macca vs Yoyo at Cairns?