Sign in to follow this  
my legs are burning

Bryton Cardio 30 GPS Sports Watch

I have just got a Bryton Rider 30/35 (yesterday) to play with, so far it seems like a copy of the Garmin Edge 500, we also have the rest of the range aswell, the Rider 50 and the Cardio 30. First ride with the Rider 30 tomorrow, I did take it running today in a pocket, data matches my 310XT data, GPS lock on was just as quick as the 310XT and Im using the Garmin HR strap and Speed/Cadence sensor as its ANT+ and its working well with out any drop outs so far, the Bryton HR Strap is comfy and looks to be a quality unit. The build on all the units so far "FEEL" good and appear quality.

Byrton Bridge (G&^%* Connect) looks to have a lot of Data available but still just trying to get my head around it at the moment.

Hi Secteur Pave

Thanks for the info. I've heard some bad things about the 310XT lately especially from a retailer who is no longer selling the units. Glad to hear the Bryton performance doesn't correlate to it's price as its significantly cheaper than the alternative.

highlytunedathletes are brilliant with postage so contact them and they might be able to do something for you. they have an online chat thingy which works well, or call them.

Edited by ratdog

That would be good to have such a thin watch to do everything... but to me it looks more like a Garmin 410 with a multisport button , don't you think ?

I mean the display doens't look great and it might be difficult to see 4 or even 3 informations on screen and the autonomy is pretty limitated ??

I don't see how it could be used for an IM unless you can be sure to finish the bike + run in less than 8 hours and you don't want to use it on the swim ...

If they do the same with 12hours of autonomy ( to be on the safe side) I'll buy it immediately !!

Edited by nicoloco

Battery life is not an issue when you run an srm on the bike and only want this for the run.

Pretty poor review here;

http://surfabike.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/bryton-cardio-full-review/

As the guy says, it seems too good to be true (waterproof, small etc). Maybe it is.

Anyone using the 405CX Garmin? I am in the market for a GPS.. EMO's Polar deal seems good but don't want the GPS as a separate POD which really only leaves a Garmin

Battery life is not an issue when you run an srm on the bike and only want this for the run.

in this case the Garmin 310 XT is obviously a crappy run only watch :)

Regarding the review, let's say that this could maybe be fixed with a software update ?? There were plenty of problem with the garmin initially if I remember well

Pretty poor review here;

http://surfabike.wor...io-full-review/

As the guy says, it seems too good to be true (waterproof, small etc). Maybe it is.

Anyone using the 405CX Garmin? I am in the market for a GPS.. EMO's Polar deal seems good but don't want the GPS as a separate POD which really only leaves a Garmin

What about the Timex body link series?

Mine works pretty well - even turn the GPS on for swimming some times - 1000m in a 50 m pool and it records about 980m (I guess that is because of the flip turns)

and there is a new model on the way that is a little less bulky than the 2010/2011 model

Had a play with these units today (rider30, rider50 and the cardio30) have some pics below as well, also found it interesting that the rider30 and edge500 both weighed exactly 57g....... anyway

Yes the cardio30 is rated as a 8hr battery I havnt used it for a full day so cant comment, but thats with the GPS on, it has a built in accelerometer that acts as a "footpod" for treadmill running, Im wondering if you can turn the GPS off while using it for running if need be to conserve Battery life maybe even use the "spd/cad" sensor if needed might also get you the 12-15hrs needed for your IM guys/girls but at the cost of no GPS tracking/mapping. I know I know whats the point of this, just thinking out loud.

Anyway here are somepics on my wrist next to a SWIM MATE and or a 310XT, also some pics of the rider30, and rider50

IMAG0519.jpg

IMAG0518.jpg

IMAG0510.jpg

IMAG0511.jpg

IMAG0512.jpg

IMAG0513.jpg

IMAG0515.jpg

IMAG0514.jpg

IMAG0517.jpg

I also noted that its the UI is completly different, small things that stand out is that the rider30 displays say 30kph while the edge500 displays 30.2kph for example lots of little things like that. Very easy to pair ant+ devices to, isnt a wireless data transfer it comes with a USB port thingy that connects to the watch/unit, not sure I like the rubber cover over the usb connector for the watch but I spose time will tell if that is sealed well enough or not. band is one piece on the watch so shouldnt break like the 310XT did/does. The screen on the watch will display 3 data fields but only one of them is in the large size the other two are quite small.

Let me know if there is anything you want to know and ill look into it.

Am I the only one to think that it is really poor from Bryton to have a look so close to the garmin's one ?

If you look at the 405 or 410 you have the same kind of twisted bi color wrist band.

If it was apple instead of Garmin, these watch would already be banned from australia :D

Secteur Pave , what can you say about the statements done on the review of surfabike ?

Edited by nicoloco

As we stand at the moment, I honestly cant say. I have charged and played with the watch (set it up) I havnt used it as yet. There are three of us at the shop and we are all trying them out since I have a 310XT I choose to start with the rider 30 to fit up to the bike as I dont have a bike computer, so Im getting used to the rider30 but am yet to run the cardio30 thru its real paces. I am interested in it aswell, but like the review said the size of the font on the top and bottom lines is very small, when I used the TIMEX GT I couldnt see the screen that flashed up every k as the font was to small to read while running and I think this will be the same but as I said right now I cant say for sure. Hopefully in a few days/weeks Ill use it at my local club tri and see what its about.

I can say that this morning I rode 60 odd k's with the rider30 and the 310XT and both units recorded HR and cadence almost the same, the distance recorded between the two was out by about 600m. Probably easier to just put the links up so you guys/girls can have a look yourself. The start had the usual "NO HR" as I forgot to wet the strap before I headed off (it was 4am), there is also a good few minutes when I stopped at the shop waiting to see who was coming, I left both units going, and had auto pause "off"

Garmin 310XT data

Bryton Rider30 data

I do like how the Bryton website allows me to do a "mapmyride" style of "route" and upload it to the unit, then apparantly as I ride it will tell me how far to the "peak" of the climb and have a little elevation profile come up on the screen with a arrow showing where I am. Ill try to take some pics if I get it sorted properly. I think its the same as "COURSES" though.

Edited by Secteur Pave

a little more info, the bryton DATA seems to be only useful on their version of G*&^% Connect, I cant seem to be able to export it to any 3rd party software but that may be me as there is a "EXPORT .gpx" button there, and have managed to upload "trips" or "COURSES" if your used to Garmin terminolgy. As for the watch there is no real MULTISPORT mode as the 310XT has, so its kinda like the TIMEX GT you set up a screen for KPH, PACE, and TIME and it scrolls thru them as your going with the lap button your indicator between stages. I cant find a auto lap feature either. I have just had a firmware update on the Rider30, so the speed reads "30.2" for example but apart from that not much else changed.

In saying all this I like my 310XT and have just placed a order for the new 910XT.

Anyone want to buy a well used 310XT, HRM, QR kit, charger, ANT+ dongle thingy and spare orange watch band? oh and a swim mate.

Edited by Secteur Pave