tortoise

Cost of pool entry in Adelaide

I was looking for venue for two casual swims in Adelaide next week where I will be for a conference. The aquatic centre is closed, so no 50m pools within spit of the CBD.

I just took a phone message from Next Generation in the tennis centre in response to my email query about availability and cost. I had to listen twice to make sure I heard correctly the first time.

SIXTY DOLLARS for a casual swim and they look forward to seeing me. Not likely.

Isn't it a club? so I presume that is a casual membership and that they don't do one off entry. A bit like say FItness First as a Gym.

I used to be a member of Virgin Active in Melbourne - to discourage casual users, their casual fee was $50 from memory. They said it was to stop 'over crowding' - didn't stop them over selling memberships tho...

Couldn't get into a spin class that finished before 9am or started after 5pm.

Tortoise, head over to Unley pool, very close to CBD, lovely pool & reasonably priced. Burnside Pool also not far from CBD. Both pools usually have lap lanes available.

Hi Tortoise, I just came back from a swim at Fitness on Flinders (http://www.fitnessonflinders.com/) 235 Flinders St.

Its right in the city so if your conference is in the CBD, it would be walking distance.

25M pool only, but generally not busy if you go outside 11am-2pm. There are M& F change rooms / showers and there are two fast lanes, one medium and a slow lane.

Not sure what a casual swim costs but I would guess around $7 ??

Cheers

Matt

The Thebarton Aquatic centre is pretty good. Usually quite after 8:00am. $6 I think for a single visit. Not far from city

Tortoise, head over to Unley pool, very close to CBD, lovely pool & reasonably priced. Burnside Pool also not far from CBD. Both pools usually have lap lanes available.

Burnside Pool one of my favourite pools in Aus. Old school pool really but what a great setting. Last time i was there....2003??? it was 5$. They used to run aquathons out there too right??? How much for a swim now?

Burnside Pool one of my favourite pools in Aus. Old school pool really but what a great setting. Last time i was there....2003??? it was 5$. They used to run aquathons out there too right??? How much for a swim now?

It's 4 years since I left Adelaide, but I think it was $5.50 or $5.80 then. Unley about the same.

It's 4 years since I left Adelaide, but I think it was $5.50 or $5.80 then. Unley about the same.

Burnside is closed for another couple of weeks. Nice as Unley looks, I think that 2 blocks to Fitness on Flinders wins hands down. And a trot along the Torrens afterwards. I do need to be in the first conference sessions by 9am after all.

That's a shame Tortoise - having swum once at Fitness on Flinders and swearing never again, I really think it is worth the trip over to Unley. It's only a 15 minute run each way through the parklands and a MUCH nicer pool.

That's a shame Tortoise - having swum once at Fitness on Flinders and swearing never again, I really think it is worth the trip over to Unley. It's only a 15 minute run each way through the parklands and a MUCH nicer pool.

thanks for the heads up -H-. I need to run off both swims anyway.

What was the issue? I'm thinking about using this pool on the days I drop my kids off at school (just next door). Seems convenient

When I went, it was crowded, a bit "cloudy", there was no lane etiquette, lots of people standing at the ends chatting, stupid little lane ropes ... I couldn't wait to get out of the place. That was a few years ago when it first opened, so things may have improved. I just think Unley or Burnside are less risky options if you want to have a good session.

I'm here, I'm tired, I'm staying in Hindmarsh Sq. FonF is 2 blocks walk. I'm taking the risk. At 6am, if anyone is chatting at the ends, I'll just have to practise tumble turns.

Will report back.