Rog

Help me buy a new road bike

Hey guys,

I've been doing a bit of browsing and trying to get my head around what options I have for a new road bike in the range of $3,000-$4,000k.

From what I've seen there are a few mid-range bikes that I could go for and so far I have short listed the following:

- Pinarello FPQuattro Ultegra ($4,200 in Aus)

- Cervelo S2 Ultegra ($4,200 in Aus)

- Specialized Tarmac SL3 Expert Ultegra ($4,000 in Aus)

- Wilier Granturismo 2011 ($3,900 in Aus)

Are there any other bikes within this price range that I should be considering? Will I be able to get a better deal on any of these if I go online? What shops should I be looking at if I wanted to buy online?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Rog

Edited by Rog

I am with Donncha, go a Giant. I ride the TCR SL and it is great. Giant offer quality and value. No street cred though.

But you don't even ride Tubular race wheels so you don't care about street cred ;-)

Yep, I have heard that is the RRP for the Giant but apparently the pre-orders are mounting so get in soon.

Check out Competitivecyclist.com. If you buy online aim for DA or Red. Wiggle have some Felt bikes cheap at the mo, for a little bit more they come with 404s. They've got a Felt AR0 with Di2 and zipps for 7k....

That Udi2 Giant is bloody cheap tho! Go for the Rabobank colours if you go that way...

Should be some deals around locally as next years stock comes in. Enter Tristen P P etc

Have fun

do you know anyone who lives in Hong kong?

If you do get one of these (also you can get a 15% refund for sdhipping out of the EU, a VAT refrund).

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2116

Get it shipped to HKG and then have it sent over here with a low commerical value and bang you have a protour level frame set, for like 3500

Malvern Star Oppy C6 (ultegra) or C7 (dura-ace). I just bought my son a C6 and it is just a beautiful machine. The guys at my cycling club are starting to get on to the Oppys because they have a number of advantages over the more fancied name brands.

They are way way cheaper and better value for money

They ride beautifully and out-perform the more fancied brands

They have a lifetime frame warranty and the after sales service is unbelievable.

They are an Australian company

Guru Raoul Leuscher ( technical advisor to the AIS and Australian Olympic Cycling Teams) oversees design and testing.

Last weekend I took 3 blokes from my cycling club to the Goulburn to Sydney. I was there all weekend rubbing shoulders and chatting with cycling friends from near and far. I get all the gossip on what bikes they are riding, who spent how much on what etc. Lets put it this way: The race was won by GenySys on a Malvern Star Oppy. In fact Steele von Hoff has cleaned up all the coveted events this year on his Malvern Star Oppy. If you can put away your ridiculous "brand" preconceptions, and look purely at the bike as a bike, in my opinion its a no brainer.

Fashion comes and goes. 10 years ago Trek (due to lance Armstrong) was the in bike to have. Now Treks are a bit daggy fashion wise. Everyone wants the Italian names (which are made in China or Taiwan like everything else). I suspect that now that the market is being flooded with Giants, they too will be labelled as daggy very soon.

Open your eyes and have a close look at the Oppys. They are great quality. If you should ever have a problem they are local and they will fix it. Those who think they are just a big company who dont care about people are wrong. They understand that in order to be competitive against overseas internet buying, they must produce a great bike, at a great price, and back it up with real service.

If you think Im raving about Malvern Star, I havent even started. More posts in the next few weeks. I give the company and the bikes my total loyalty and endorsement.

Malvern Star Oppy C6 (ultegra) or C7 (dura-ace). I just bought my son a C6 and it is just a beautiful machine. The guys at my cycling club are starting to get on to the Oppys because they have a number of advantages over the more fancied name brands.

They have a lifetime frame warranty and the after sales service is unbelievable.

Guru Raoul Leuscher ( technical advisor to the AIS and Australian Olympic Cycling Teams) oversees design and testing.

Last weekend I took 3 blokes from my cycling club to the Goulburn to Sydney. I was there all weekend rubbing shoulders and chatting with cycling friends from near and far. I get all the gossip on what bikes they are riding, who spent how much on what etc. Lets put it this way: The race was won by GenySys on a Malvern Star Oppy. In fact Steele von Hoff has cleaned up all the coveted events this year on his Malvern Star Oppy. If you can put away your ridiculous "brand" preconceptions, and look purely at the bike as a bike, in my opinion its a no brainer.

Fashion comes and goes. 10 years ago Trek (due to lance Armstrong) was the in bike to have. Now Treks are a bit daggy fashion wise. Everyone wants the Italian names (which are made in China or Taiwan like everything else). I suspect that now that the market is being flooded with Giants, they too will be labelled as daggy very soon.

Open your eyes and have a close look at the Oppys. They are great quality. If you should ever have a problem they are local and they will fix it. Those who think they are just a big company who dont care about people are wrong. They understand that in order to be competitive against overseas internet buying, they must produce a great bike, at a great price, and back it up with real service.

If you think Im raving about Malvern Star, I havent even started. More posts in the next few weeks. I give the company and the bikes my total loyalty and endorsement.

Hey Driver,

The company just changed hands, i hope they continue with good service but malvern star isnt a local mob any more. Sold to a NZ group. They were part of pacific brands (bonds etc).

Before you devote your total loyalty just double check the new group is as good as the old.

The race was won by GenySys on a Malvern Star Oppy. In fact Steele von Hoff has cleaned up all the coveted events this year on his Malvern Star Oppy.

You lose me with this... are you saying that due to the bike Steele won? Would he have one versus Cadel in the tour as he is on a Malvern Star vs a BMC? What about Green Edge, are they destined to fail due to Scott bikes?

I want some street cred but also recognise that my budget is limited, so am looking for that middle ground between performance and looks.

I know I could possibly get a spec'd up Cell or Azzurri, but that's not what I'm after.

Call me shallow, but I like my bikes to look good.

I too am shallow, and I reckon the current GIANTS look great.

Whack some Ultegra Di2 on it and Id be happy as a pig in Poo!

You lose me with this... are you saying that due to the bike Steele won?

Im saying there were lots of bikes in the race. Lots of very expensive bikes. Lots of Pro teams riding different brands. The race was won on a Malvern Star, therefore they are at least equal with anything else out there performance wise.

I have been riding bikes for a long time and I have to disagree with you on this one Derny. Lets just say I had a tight conection with someone at pac brands so I have ridden numerous oppys, yes they are value for money no doubt but they are not a Giant, Trek, Colnago etc. Freewheel down hill and shake the bars and see what the Oppy does, just make sure you have undies and a helmet on.

Hey Driver,

The company just changed hands, i hope they continue with good service but malvern star isnt a local mob any more. Sold to a NZ group. They were part of pacific brands (bonds etc).

Before you devote your total loyalty just double check the new group is as good as the old.

Good point jimmy the question entered my head too. I can assure you that the change is in ownership only and has not affected the staffing or the way they do things. Mate they are damn nice people there at pacbrands Melbourne, best Ive ever dealt with. I value my reputation and I dont give companies a rap unless they deserve it. I heard so many good stories and my own recent dealings with them confirm that they are really good people working there. Cyclists and athletes, not businessmen.

I have been riding bikes for a long time and I have to disagree with you on this one Derny. Lets just say I had a tight conection with someone at pac brands so I have ridden numerous oppys, yes they are value for money no doubt but they are not a Giant, Trek, Colnago etc. Freewheel down hill and shake the bars and see what the Oppy does, just make sure you have undies and a helmet on.

Thats okay mate you are entitled to disagree. Im not gonna bag a bloke of your experience on a bike. I know people prefer the brands you mention. I have no connection with anyone at Malvern Star. But based on my experience I think they are definately worth a test ride and definately worth recommending to people looking to buy a good roadie. Every bike has its advantages and disadvantages. I believe the Oppy has many good points as mentioned in my original post.

Yep, I have heard that is the RRP for the Giant but apparently the pre-orders are mounting so get in soon.

heard the same from my lbs...very popular bike it seems

Rog,

Despite all the nonsense above :lol: you'll be sorry if you go past the Willier - its a ride with cred!

Well I was actually tossing up between the Wilier Isoard and the Oppy C6

Isoard had 105, Oppy had Ultegra and was still cheaper.

Isoard had pretty colours

Edited by Derny Driver

I might just add that based on the research I've done I was positively surprised that there is no significant price difference between buying locally or overseas for any of the bikes mentioned in my first post.

Looks like our bike shops are becoming a bit more competitive which is great to see!

One thing about the Giant TCR and I notice this as not changed with the 2012 model. It looks about as Aerodynamic as a box with its big fat square down tube.

I friend who as access to both Giant and Specialized got a Venge, looks great but is probably a bit more that the circa 4k you are looking at spending.

Looks like our bike shops are becoming a bit more competitive which is great to see!

Yep, I got my Cervelo R3 Rival for $3500, thats $900 off RRP. Ridiculous value imo, and a fantastic bike.

Specialized got a Venge, looks great

Saw one of these yesterday, just reasessing the cervelo S5 as the bike for midaged cashed up wantabies. The Venge in matt black with blue decals looked the thing for the cafe. Also apprently a very nice bike to ride as well.

Verge with Electronic Ultegra at full retail was $6400 when available in November

Saw one of these yesterday, just reasessing the cervelo S5 as the bike for midaged cashed up wantabies. The Venge in matt black with blue decals looked the thing for the cafe. Also apprently a very nice bike to ride as well.

Verge with Electronic Ultegra at full retail was $6400 when available in November

I heard the opposite.

The venge rides so bone jarringly stiff it like you're riding on a horse drawn wagon with wooden wheels....

I heard the opposite.

The venge rides so bone jarringly stiff it like you're riding on a horse drawn wagon with wooden wheels....

It was the salesman telling me that, thanks for the feedback

Just to wrap this up (and show off my new ride), a very nice trannie got me a great deal on a Wilier Cento Uno with Fulcrum 1's and Campy Record 11 speed.

R10CSLF.jpg

Rog, I'm a huge Pina fan as most know on here, but after spending hours considering my next bike I've spent a lot of time in Sigma Sport in Surrey. They carry all the high end brands and there is something about that Quattro that is not appealing. Not sure if it's the chunky looks, clumbsy paint or the fact that I'm a Campag man and it comes with Shimano, but if it were me in that price range I'd be going for the Willier. Get yourself fitted first as the size up a bit small and give the bike a thorough check as paint quality can be suspect on some.

ah, just seen your last post. I'm running Chorus 11 on the Opera, be careful of any really tight bends in your cabling. 2011 11sp is way better than 09/10 due to some replaced parts in the levers.

and in case anyone is wondering, my next 'bike' could be a 2004PRS McCarty Hollowbody I, which is a guitar I've lusted after for years :smile1:

Just to wrap this up (and show off my new ride), a very nice trannie got me a great deal on a Wilier Cento Uno with Fulcrum 1's and Campy Record 11 speed.

R10CSLF.jpg

You won't regret it. A great ride!

Just another quick rap for Malvern Star / Sheppard Group.

DD Jnr had a crash on his orange Team Issue MS C7 at the B2B earlier in the year. Later we noticed a tiny crack at the top of the fork, looked like a paint crack. Decided to keep an eye on it.

Last week DD Jnr pointed out that the 'crack' is now longer. Had it checked out by LBS who thinks it is just paint, but you dont muck around with cracked forks so I made enquiries to buy a new one, but couldnt as its an unusual size tapered fork. So I contacted Sheppards, to ask to buy one, as it is not a manufacturing fault.

2 days later a new fork arrived on my doorstep free of charge.

I have an s2 with sram rival - was cheap (well ..that's relative), look around and you'll get one sub 3k. (IMO no reason to have Ultegra as parts swap in out same same).

Put in the forward seat post, add some clip ons (and if you want to race it decent wheels) .. hit GO!

Edited by Mjainoz
  • Like 1

Giant TCR Advanced w/ Ultegra Di2 $3999

+1 Ive seen this bike for $2799 at Turnpoint in Mordy and $2999 at Bikelab. Great Value for money!

No affiliation with Giant other than owning 2. Road and TT considering a MTB......... need a bigger shed.

R10CSLF.jpg

Nice..... For an Aussie/Euro price comparison EUR3500 here before discount which is usually 15%.... Exact same spec....