Sign in to follow this  
The Customer

High School Reunions

I organised our 20th reunion. Did the whole thing via a Facebook group. Had it at an RSL so I didn’t need to collect $$ and it was awesome! We all ended up at a nightclub until daylight then went to a pub and drank again on the Sunday! Everyone got on great and all of the personality issues people had at school were long forgotten. I managed to invite a heap of teachers also... they got totally wasted! I hadn’t realised they were all 1st year teachers posted to a small mining town when we were in high school. They had some great stories . 

Im just in the midst of organising our 25th 😳

We catch up every year - usually the last Friday in November.  Down to about 20 now due living elsewhere and life. We are also playing golf in April plus a bbq after. 

That’s a few drinks since 1975.

FM

Edited by Flanman

I didn’t go to the 10 or 20 year reunion as I was relentlessly bullied by the people organising them.

I think the thing is that everyone has their own opinion of High Schooll and I hated my experiences there, despite it being a great school, with fantastic teachers, great facilities and taught me a great deal. My parents and I saved every penny we had to go there (I worked Friday nights and Saturdays to fund it), but a lot of the other kids were over-privileged a-holes who were taking the piss. Most of the girls were bitchy and awful and most of the guys were using pot.

I still keep in touch with one mate from School (it was 2, but he’s about to start a stretch for embezzlement, so I don’t think I’ll be seeing him for 3-5 years) and that suits me fine. I don’t care what the others are up to and I guess they’re not losing sleep over me, either.

Each to their own, I suppose.

I'm still in touch with mates from my last school where I went for 11 and 12.  But the two schools prior to that (at least in this town), I wouldn't know a single person from and wouldn't really want to.

What's really strange, is one of those schools (gr 6 & 7) I was relentlessly bullied by many, and one kid in particular.  He's now got a kid with one of my best friends and is actually one of the friggin nicest people you will ever meet.  He swears he has no knowledge or recollection, but my friend finds it ****ing hilarious and gave him such a hard time when I pointed it out to him. 

Just found out that somebody from my boarding house in my year at school passed away from natural causes. I've lost people to accidents etc. but natural causes is a bit tough aged 32 :huh:

Have good memories from high school. I was fortunate that I was slightly above average in sport to mix with the Jocks. Listened to Metal, so could hang with "Tough Boys" up the back of the oval. Although not particularly brainy, I would happily chill with the Nerds playing Dungeons & Dragons in the library. There was only one group that I couldn't crack & they're the ones that still baffle me to this day...............girls.

In saying all that, I don't have any contact from people in High School. Made it to a few 30th birthdays & after that, it all kinda fizzled out. As for a reunion, I wouldn't be overly interested in attending, to much water under the bridge & I've nothing to prove or disprove.

Edited by \m/ Moshboy \m/
  • Like 1

Moshb, that sounds a bit like me once I hit uni.  I was hanging out with the skegs, the swampies, the druggo's, the nerds, the normal average peeps, the girls (uni girls were so much cooler than high school girls), the mature aged students.  Meant pretty much every Thursday to Sunday nights I had a group to hang out with.  Hence why I now have a trade instead of a degree ;)

I spent most of my school years on my own, and was one of those awkward-geeky types that preferred being in the library and were always last to get picked for teams etc. 

The few people I hung out with were similar, and we just did nerdy stuff that nobody else was interested in.

Except for that time when we took a simple project of a "soil sample" for geology just a tad too far. One of the guy's dad worked in mining and we got "access" to some explosives. By the time it became an incident, we'd dug a 2m x 2m pit well into the bedrock, with a spiral staircase cut into the edges. Not that OCD had anything to do with it...

I haven't had contact with anyone since leaving.

18 hours ago, \m/ Moshboy \m/ said:

Have good memories from high school. I was fortunate that I was slightly above average in sport to mix with the Jocks. Listened to Metal, so could hang with "Tough Boys" up the back of the oval. Although not particularly brainy, I would happily chill with the Nerds playing Dungeons & Dragons in the library. There was only one group that I couldn't crack & the the one that still baffle me to this day...............girls.

In saying all that, I don't have any contact from people in High School. Made it to a few 30th birthdays & after that, it all kinda fizzled out. As for a reunion, I wouldn't be overly interested in attending, to much water under the bridge & I've nothing to prove or disprove.

I was what I now call an Inbetweener (if you haven't seen the show over there, look it up ... brilliant). I didn't really fit into any one group. I rowed, so I was on the periphery of the "cool" kids, wasn't a grass on the kids that smoked grass, wasn't a boarder, wasn't an open nerd, but still did well academically. When they wrote the yearbook, they just left the part "best known for ..." as blank.

I was also bullied at school as I was a soft target in my younger years. I would snap and those that were seeking the reaction got it. Until, one Friday night after school whilst waiting for a bus, I headbutted one of the bullies and plastered his nose all over his face. Not proud of it, but the ex-Vietnam Vet the school hired to instil discipline said it was one of the best things he's seen.

They didn't bother me after that

Back to reunions ... the one galling thing I encountered when I was asked to attend the 10 year reunion was that a teacher who tried to have me expelled (I had an "indifferent relationship with authority" in my younger school years....) for blowing up a toilet***, rand me to convince me to come. She was such an a-hole to me at the time and was a real bully that I told her to do one.

The girls thing baffled me then also as it baffles me now. They weren't interested in anyone of our age, yet none of the younger girls were interested in us either ... either that, or I was doing it all kinds of wrong! 

*** the story here was that a guy by the name of Toby came back from the US with some cherry bombs and went to detonate one in the loos at recess, but missed the timing and blew the bowl up and short-circuited the electrics for the wing of the school. It cost $20,000 to repair and she tried to use the fact that I was on probation to get me to grass Tubber and Hontz up. 

Took me to the end of gr10 to realise that if you don't care about the bullies, or hit them back, they tend to leave you alone.  I moved for 11 and 12 and didn't have an issue.

You don't wanna know what my yr12 mag wrote about me!

23 hours ago, goughy said:

Moshb, that sounds a bit like me once I hit uni.  I was hanging out with the skegs, the swampies, the druggo's, the nerds, the normal average peeps, the girls (uni girls were so much cooler than high school girls), the mature aged students.  Meant pretty much every Thursday to Sunday nights I had a group to hang out with.  Hence why I now have a trade instead of a degree ;)

Yeah that's it Goughy, HS girls just weren't "cool" enough to appreciate my awesomeness. Of course it had nothing to do with having a head like a dropped pie :D As I alluded to above, I'm not that smart (but I can lift heavy fings & dat), so it was straight to trade school for moi. Unfortunately Fitting & Turning wasn't conducive to meeting "cool girls" either.

22 hours ago, XCOM! said:

I spent most of my school years on my own, and was one of those awkward-geeky types that preferred being in the library and were always last to get picked for teams etc. 

I find myself becoming way less tolerant of peoples BS & these days finding myself happier with my own company more & more. Would have been a tough way to go through school though.

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

I was what I now call an Inbetweener (if you haven't seen the show over there, look it up ... brilliant). I didn't really fit into any one group. I rowed, so I was on the periphery of the "cool" kids, wasn't a grass on the kids that smoked grass, wasn't a boarder, wasn't an open nerd, but still did well academically. When they wrote the yearbook, they just left the part "best known for ..." as blank.

I was also bullied at school as I was a soft target in my younger years. I would snap and those that were seeking the reaction got it. Until, one Friday night after school whilst waiting for a bus, I headbutted one of the bullies and plastered his nose all over his face. Not proud of it, but the ex-Vietnam Vet the school hired to instil discipline said it was one of the best things he's seen.

They didn't bother me after that

Back to reunions ... the one galling thing I encountered when I was asked to attend the 10 year reunion was that a teacher who tried to have me expelled (I had an "indifferent relationship with authority" in my younger school years....) for blowing up a toilet***, rand me to convince me to come. She was such an a-hole to me at the time and was a real bully that I told her to do one.

The girls thing baffled me then also as it baffles me now. They weren't interested in anyone of our age, yet none of the younger girls were interested in us either ... either that, or I was doing it all kinds of wrong! 

Yeah, Inbetweener's was a great show (didn't particularly like the movies though) & probably sums up where I ultimately fitted in & that was with the normal crowd, with the ability to mix in most circles. I can't imagine what it would be like to be picked on regularly & consider myself extremely lucky to have avoided this.

I went to my 10 year , it was ok nothing much had changed , went along to the 20 year one and I actually had a funny night .I don’t see any of the blokes I went to school with but I see two of the girls one of them we grew up together as neighbors and have and always had a great friendship she introduced me to my wife.

The other girl we have been friends since year 7 and my wife met her only about 5 years ago in a gym class and they teamed up together small world don’t see her that much but she did just make the effort to come down and pop in for a visit with her kids,when we moved

Some of the blokes at our 20 year one dead set had aged a lot ! On the bigger side of things ,balding  etc 

The whole school experience for myself was fine I just went to the beat of my own drum I had my mates that I hung with at school occasionally after .from year 10 onwards I hung with a lot of the girls  , all my close school mates were into pot and other things 

I was meant to go to schoolies with them booked paid air fair and accom , pulled out last minute to race at Port Stephens qualifier for worlds

Of those 5 guys 

1x dead

1x diagnosed syco (drugs)

1x did a stretch for drug distribution 

1x took a SHEET of trips at schoolies still to this day can’t put a sentence together saw him a few years ago at Cronulla woollies picking up used cigarette butts to make a rolly 

Other guy wouldn’t have clue .

i often think why I was not a sheep and I put it down to the old man and Sport 

my closest mates I met through sport in year 7 all different schools one was even in Coffs Harbour and still to this day we hang out regularly 

If kids tried putting shit on me about triathlon or having shaved legs I didn’t give a f$&k , I still surfed heaps (maybe that was my saving grace haha )and like I said before I often hung with some of the girls in our year so that might have helped too 😉

We have a golf day in a few weeks. I am forgoing a triathlon for this in April. I don’t know why, but my mates from school are my mates for life. Anything they need - I am there. We shed sweat, blood and share mothers. Incredible as it seems, I am closers to friends I left 43 years ago than others I have met after. 

FM