Sign in to follow this  
The Customer

High School Reunions

Just been invited to 25th High School Reunion.

Considering I've spent the last 25 years trying to forget, do I go to see how old and unfit I hope everyone is looking or do stay at home making effigies to toss onto a bonfire?

Any experiences?

Go. You will be pleasantly surprised by some people. At 25 years you will see the ravages of lifestyle.

At my 30th we had women who looked 60 and others who looked in their late 30s. and some were dead.

40th is due this year, I can't wait to see how old some of the late 50s look. But I'm just a mean bugger.

I went to my 30th reunion last year and had a ball. At first everyone looked really different but it was amazing how quickly, and maybe with the help of a lot of alcohol, that everyone started to look really familiar again. Stories were retold and lots of laughs were had. Cos we had to travel to Bathurst for it we all had accommodation in various motel/hotels in town. The funniest part was when a group of us were continuing the party back in one of the hotel rooms when around 2am some young people knocked on the door to tell us to keep it down :smile1:

I spent 20 years trying to ignore/forget/repress the 5 years of continual misery that constituted high school.

Went to the 20 year reunion because I just happened to be Brisbane (lived in Canberra at the time) the same week for another event.

Was genuinely surprised at the I good time I had.

Might even go to the 30th reunion in a few years.

At my 20 year reunion I was trying to big note myself to a former female classmate who was a bit of a babe back then and had only improved like a fine wine (yes, I am objectifying wine here!). I'd just lost 20kg and had started getting active and had downed a Scotch or two, and said "Yeah, just did the City 2 Surf a couple of weeks back!" She seemed most impressed - until she let it slip that a couple of months back she ran the London Marathon!

Fortunately she did not rub my face in the fact I was bragging about jogging 14km when her effort was 41km, but I still excused myself and went and sat in the corner and had a big think...

Considering I've spent the last 25 years trying to forget, do I go to see how old and unfit I hope everyone is looking or do stay at home making effigies to toss onto a bonfire?

Any experiences?

I don't like them, but it is different for everybody, I find the reunion to be a sad bunch of folk either trying to remember dubious glory days or being nice to people they were pricks to. Some people find them to be celebration and while I can't understand why they do so who am I to criticise.

I ended up at my 10 year reunion by mistake, was out anyway and saw all these vaguely familiar folk. Funny ting is people change a lot, I was skinny kid and those who are big at 16 have a funny way of being the same size at 26, I pumped some weights got a a lot bigger. Probably had issues, but some folk who were real pricks did try to be nice in a condecending manner. Basically they had no interest in me then, whne they did it was to make my life a misery, they then remind me off this and say how sorry they are and then act interested in my life 10 years later.

Now I must have some baggage, but my response "like to see you try it now f____r followed by some grandstanding on my part and a timid response from those who thought they were the man 10 years before.

Anyhow not sure that this says much for either of us, but it made me feel better then and it is making me feel better now, clearly have not moved on.

• Like 1

one other thing, it can be worth going to if you are fit and in shape, the really hot girl who would not talk to you generally marries a loser and gets divorced or is still with the obese balding alkie who treats her like a piece of crap. This can work in your favour.

I have some serious issues

• Like 1

At my 20 year reunion I was trying to big note myself to a former female classmate who was a bit of a babe back then and had only improved like a fine wine (yes, I am objectifying wine here!). I'd just lost 20kg and had started getting active and had downed a Scotch or two, and said "Yeah, just did the City 2 Surf a couple of weeks back!" She seemed most impressed - until she let it slip that a couple of months back she ran the London Marathon!

Fortunately she did not rub my face in the fact I was bragging about jogging 14km when her effort was 41km, but I still excused myself and went and sat in the corner and had a big think...

about the fact she cut the course :sly:

Guest Gimili

grinchie poo... went to the 10th, people hadnt changed much.... found by the twentieth, you are so comfortable in who you are, you not only pity people but enjoy every moment whether talking to good people or absolute farkwits..... up to you but I get joy or a laugh.....

you doing busso this year,,,im heading back, about to start training

one other thing, it can be worth going to if you are fit and in shape, the really hot girl who would not talk to you generally marries a loser and gets divorced or is still with the obese balding alkie who treats her like a piece of crap. This can work in your favour.

I have some serious issues

i like how you think.

G-train, they're great, everybody has there own story and listening is better than telling. Take the mindset of earlier posters and it would be a crap night. Giddy up and tell me the exploits of the night. Wink

i like how you think.

reunion = money time kinda like grab a granny night (early 40's but we were 16 to 25) at ceasers or Jackie O's in Kirkcaldy

I've devoted many years to carefully crafting an effective defensive mental blank for that period in my life, and I have no intention of undoing all my good work.

I have my 20th high school reunion in Nov this year. But it is the same day I am running an ultramarathon. Otherwise wold have flown down for it. School was a hard time, and many people were not very nice. But would have been good to see what everyone is up to............

Any experiences?

Go Dude, even for the piece of mind that you went and saw the car crash that is now some people's lives. It will make you feel more positive about what you've done in the last 25. You'll find that people are not the same person they were at 18 as they are today. Many have changed some for the worse, other for the best.

I spent 20 years trying to ignore/forget/repress the 5 years of continual misery that constituted high school.

Went to the 20 year reunion because I just happened to be Brisbane (lived in Canberra at the time) the same week for another event.

Was genuinely surprised at the I good time I had.

Might even go to the 30th reunion in a few years.

I hated HS, I was the fat Geeky kid with glasses, I copped abuse and bullying every day. Our 10 year reunion was in March this year and my bodd made me take leave to go to it. I decided to go and see what people had done, if nothing but to appease my own masochistic streak. It was interesting to see where people ended up. Telling people where I had been and what I had done with the military was a good opportunity, especially since many of those who were bullies had IMHO wasted the last 10 years. It also confirmed my faith in Karma.

I went to my 10 year one. I was surprised at what had happened to most of the "popular" kids. They mostly ended up with crap jobs and or on drugs. It was the geeky IT guys that ended up with the cash, good jobs and the hot chicks.

The biggest surprise was the most uptight looking boring girl in the entire school turned out to effectively be a super-model.

My High School had one a couple of months ago, but this was a little different, as in it was for anybody that ever attended during its exisatance & not a particular graduation year. Although I have nothing but fond memories of H.S., I did not attend. Personally I prefer to look to the future, rather than 20 years into the past.

Hmmm, I can see the whole idea of high school reunion revenge has made many revert to the same mentality as used then! :lol: If you are not genuinely interested in catching up with some old buddies, why would you bother?

Someone organised a reunion for my primary school can you believe that? It was suggested I might not wish to attend when I asked why I was paying $70 for a meal and drinks at the Tradies!!! I never bothered attending I go to the Tradies often enough and don't spend anywhere near that.

My high school had a 75th anniversary 25 years ago and no one from my year went and I only went because I knew a couple of others in other years that pushed me to go. This year was its 100th and as far as I know nothing was organised for the old boys...you see it takes some nosy fusspot to organise these things...you don't get that so much at all boys schools :lol:

Edited by Slowman

I went to mine 10 year and got back in touch with some good mates i hadnt seen.

Was amazing to see that so many of them had done nothing with their life !!!

I went to 2 high schools, a public high school for yrs 7-8 and a private borading school yrs 9-12.

Really wanted to go to my public school 10yr reunion in '93, but our first daughter was due to be born that week so couldn't go. Would have been great, good down to earth nice country kids without a carrot shoved up their arses - some of the best people I've known in my life.

May of this year was our 30yr private school reunion - I had no intention of going despite one of the only decent blokes there trying to convince me. Hated the place with a passion. A bigger collection of nasty screwed up bullying pr*cks i've never seen. I'm sure i would have belted one or two of them after a few drinks ;)

Hmmm, I can see the whole idea of high school reunion revenge has made many revert to the same mentality as used then! :lol: If you are not genuinely interested in catching up with some old buddies, why would you bother?

Someone organised a reunion for my primary school can you believe that? It was suggested I might not wish to attend when I asked why I was paying $70 for a meal and drinks at the Tradies!!! I never bothered attending I go to the Tradies often enough and don't spend anywhere near that.

My high school had a 75th anniversary 25 years ago and no one from my year went and I only went because I knew a couple of others in other years that pushed me to go. This year was its 100th and as far as I know nothing was organised for the old boys...you see it takes some nosy fusspot to organise these things...you don't get that so much at all boys schools :lol:

revenge on bullies and pretentious twats is sweet

Holy Crap.

Just returned from high school reunion. Walked in and didn't recognise a soul then BAM! It all came flooding back.

Everyone is exactly the same. The ones who wore their uniforms too high are still getting it wrong. A couple of sad cases but overall, very entertaining.

I'm doing just fine ^_^