TrevS

TDF11 - Stage 19

Stage 19 : Modane - Alpe-d’Huez 109km

This would be what I call one of the Tours classic stages, tying in the Col du Télégraphe, Col du Galibier and Alpe d'Huez.

This stage (albeit usually longer with more at the start) has been used many times in the past.

A course that if you travelled to France you'd have to ride.

Col du Télégraphe

Col du Galibier

Alpe d'Huez

LAlpe-dHuez.jpeg

Full list of Team Websites

Full Rider list

Current Jersey Leaders

maillotJaune.gif Thomas Voeckler (Europcar)

maillotVert.gif Mark Cavendish (HTC-Highroad)

maillotApois.gif Jelle Vanendert (Omega Pharma Lotto)

maillotBlanc.gif Rein Taaramae (Cofidis)

maillotEquipes.gif Garmin-Cervelo

Map

CARTE.gif

PROFIL.gif

Final km's

PROFILKMS.gif

Climbs

Km 26.5 - Col du Télégraphe (1 566 m) - 11.9 km climb to 7.1 % - Category 1

Km 48.5 - Col du Galibier (2 556m) - 16.7 km climb to 6.8 % - Category H

Km 109.5 - Alpe d'Huez (1 850 m) - 13.8 km climb to 7.9 % - Category H

Viewer Rating = 15 out of 10

No matter what, DO NOT MISS!!!!!!!!

Need not say anymore than that.

General Clssification

1 Thomas Voeckler (Fra) Team Europcar

2 Andy Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:00:15

3 Fränk Schleck (Lux) Leopard Trek 0:01:08

4 Cadel Evans (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:01:12

5 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre - ISD 0:03:46

6 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas-Cannondale

7 Alberto Contador Velasco (Spa) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:04:44

8 Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 0:05:20

9 Thomas Danielson (USA) Team Garmin-Cervelo 0:07:08

10 Jean-Christophe Peraud (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:09:27

Race starts = 10:30pm (AEST)

Approx finish time = 1:20am (AEST)

GUW Time = 10:30pm (AES time) (Get Up to Watch)

(SBS coverage starts at 10pm AEST).

Who's your tip?

Synopsis :-

Voeckler,

Survived stage 18 and the Galibierto hold onto a lead of only 15secs.

He got a get out of gaol free card in stage 18 by not defending his race lead when it really counted.

He was able to ride Evans coat tail on the climb which got him home in just enough time. Exhausted in the end.

Tonight I think he will struggle from the beggining, he'll be hoping for a slow stage over the first 2 climbs to make it easier for him.

He's had a long impressive run in Yellow, but his time will be over tonight.

A.Schleck,

Bought himself back into a good postion for the GC to give himself a good shot at the overall, but at what cost was his efforts last night?

He regained his lost minute and got a further 57secs up over Evans. Can he back that effort up in a way were he can increase his time gap?

57secs may not be enough time for him to defend come the TT. I feel he needs every second he can get and that means backing up to attack again tonight.

There's every chance he could struggle when it counts as he is sure to feeel the affects of a long range attack.

F.Schleck,

He had what would be called the 'easiest' ride during stage 18 with Andy up ahead.

In theory Frank should be a little less fatigued as result, although I feel he didn't have much more in the tank than what he showed.

He should not be underestimated though and is bound to look for time, although he will not if it means affecting Andy.

Frank will need loads of time over Cadel for him to defend his GC position, an amount of time that I would call unrealistic without anybody having a blowup.

I feel Frank will ride to defend and aid Andy. Which could also mean he will attack and make them chase him, wearing them out assuming Andy is still good.

Evans,

A strong ride last night in his pursuit of Andy Schleck, kept the time damage down to something he can work with.

Evans is still in a very strong position on the GC despite having droppped to 4th.

He will need to be careful of his efforts tonight and choose wisely what he reacts to as the effort of last nights chase could make it tough going, but as Contador has said he "revealed himself" showing just how good his form is.

I believe Andy is Cadels biggest threat and needs to be watched carefully, all the while not giving Frank much rope to play with.

Cadel holds a much greater TT ability over Frank, than he does Andy. Frank needs a large time difference over Cadel and Andy not as much (maybe another 40-60secs).

Contador,

Contador didn't have the strength to work last night and struggled to hold on during the final climb to the point where he cracked and lost a big chunk off time.

Now sitting 4:44 back his chance of a GC win are over with a podium position his only hope albeit a tall order.

I feel that contador will want something out of this tour rather than just a top 10 or 5, he will want this stage.

It's one of the most famous tour stage finishers which as he no longer has anything to lose he would like this trophy.

I'd be looking at him to attack tonight with a view of a stage victory. GC position of low concern but if he were to win the stage as a bonus it could move him up for a shot at 3rd during the TT.

Basso,

Sits a little to far back on the GC for a realistic shot at the podium given the other riders still around, he as per Contador would like to take something away from this years tour.

Liquigas have very little in the way of results this tour, Basso may hope to change that.

He is still climbing well but has shown that he has that little extra ounce for him to win over the top of the others.

Sanchez,

Clearly fatigued having dropped very early on the final climb last night.

At 5:20 down now his podium is now out of reach, he already has one stage win and I'm sure wouldn't mind having the chance of one more.

Of all the top guys he may have had the easist ride last night, despite having dropped early he could just ride his own comfortable pace in the presence of other riders.

With that time gap he will no longer be marked and would be allowed the luxery off an attack without a chase.

If he has anything left in the tank, he'll put it all out there for the stage.

Overall,

I believe that when you put all the pieces of the puzzle together Evans is still in the best position to win the tour.

He has that extra TT strength that affords him a little time buffer, it's a tough tricky TT course to his liking (more so than the Schlecks).

Andy will have the question of 'can he back it up tonight and if so can he open up a larger time gap? if Yes, how much will that effort affect his TT ability?

Frank not only needs time over Evans but if he attacks and is responded to, will that hurt Andy's GC chances? if Yes, can Frank gain enough time over Evans to defend in the TT and if so how much fatigue factor will he have by doing so?

Then finally can Evans back up tonight and mark the Schlecks? if Yes, will he then have enough left to ride a TT sufficiently to overcome the 57secs deficit?

Oh yes! nearly forgot one more.

Can Voeckler actually defy expectation of cracking tonight and hold on to the final km or 2? if Yes, will he be able to TT and hold on to at least a podium in Paris?

These questions and more, stayed tuned.

ps:I'll add the special interest stuff later as time permits, apologies for not being able to do so at the moment and also for this preview as it is a little rushed.

ps:I'll add the special interest stuff later as time permits, apologies for not being able to do so at the moment and also for this preview as it is a little rushed.

I'm most grateful for the "truncated" version. No apologies needed, awesome font of useful information. Thanks heaps Trev.

How awesome is it that its Stage 19 and we still have no idea who is going to win..!!

Fascinating stage tonight - love how they've mixed it up by making it a '100km sprint'. Can't wait to see how the GC riders approach it...

What a great Tour its been so far - bring on Alpe d'Huez!!

Cheers,

Abby

It's been a low productivity day today, a combination of sleep deprivation and excitement are making it very hard to concentrate. This is going to be fantastic.

Anyone willing to nominate a finishing time?

Considering its going to be on like donkey kong, but it is uphill, what kind of average speed can we expect to see?

It will be interesting if there is anything left in Contadors legs tonight and he attacks on the final climb - i wonder if anyone will bother setting chase considering how far down he is?

If i was Evans, i would let him go and let him get a minute or so up the road before uping the tempo and let him take the win as long as the lead doesn't blow out. If you are lucky, Contador will attack and the Schlecks will mark it and pull Evans up.

Evans will be tired from last night, he needs others to respond to attacks tonight, so Sanchez or Contador attacking may actually help Cadel get onto the podium, and also give him enough energy for the TT.

Also in Cadels favour is all the other riders like Cunego, Basso will be hoping that they can make time tonight because they won't be relying on the TT, so they may also provide a workhorse for Cadel to work off.

I had a red bull at 2pm and already i am feeling sleepy but i am still pumped for this one.

First time you have done a 15 out of 10?

I actually think 15 out of 10 is a little under-rated.

For me, this is the most excited I've been about a sporting event that I can remember.

I cannot wait for tonight to roll around and see what happens.

Trev, everyone else has been thanking you for the last three weeks. To date I haven't but for the record, your previews are something I look forward to every day. I'll check the forum every 15 or 20 minutes during the middle of the day just to make sure I'm up on all the news as soon as it rolls off the press. Thanks for all your effort in adding to the anticipation and excitement of this wonderful sporting event.

Keep up the good work...

Any Novocastrians know of a local pub that is likely to have a rowdy bunch of cyclists watching the race tonight. I think the race will be all the more enjoyable in the company of other who are also shouting at the screen...

pinched my finger in the drawer at work as I was half sleeping while doing some work. Went and had a double shot of caffeine to just keep sane for another 10 hours.

need few more of them..

too close and too many scenarios to call

so the only call I'll make is look out for the descent off the Galibier. It's a nasty, narrow track and if anyone puts their balls on the line - then they may well literally put their balls on the line. It's a widow-maker

Also watch for the tunnels on the descent from the Lauterat - awesome noise coming through there. Wish some of them had discs on for the coverage :lol:

The GC battle is where it's at, but any tips for a stage win from outside the GC top 10?

There's a few decent climbers who've dropped well down on overall time and don't have teammates to ride for, some well off the pace yesterday coming in with the sprinters may have been looking towards today, or were just spent?

ie, Kreuziger, Leipheimer, or Roy/Casar for first French stage win this year?

The GC battle is where it's at, but any tips for a stage win from outside the GC top 10?

There's a few decent climbers who've dropped well down on overall time and don't have teammates to ride for, some well off the pace yesterday coming in with the sprinters may have been looking towards today, or were just spent?

ie, Kreuziger, Leipheimer, or Roy/Casar for first French stage win this year?

I think the pace is going to be on from the beginning tonight - one of the top GC riders is going to take the stage, simply because of the speed they will attack that final climb. It is also a short stage, so the breakaway won't have a chance to get minutes ahead.

Every GC rider has to get something out of the stage, so all their teams will be at the front and keeping things in check.

A course that if you travelled to France you'd have to ride.

Agree Trev.

I rode this stage with a bit more at the start as part of the La Marmotte in 2007 and it was the most enjoyable and painful day I have ever spent on a bike.

Can't wait for this one to start.

Again, another exciting night. I'm especially excited because I have ridden from the top of the Galibier to Alpe d'Huez the way the race goes tonight. Just not in one day!!

And of course, I have photos.

This is the view from my bedroom. The little lump in the middle is the Alpe d'Huez. (Not a great photo sorry, took it with my phone.)

DSC01775-1.jpg

Here we are getting ready to go. We stayed in Le Bourg d'Oisans for about days I think.

01_9Jul_GrenobleandLeBourgdOissans030.jpg

This next photo is of me and my little buddy ready to head off. I've had him since I was 6 months old and he has been all over the world with me. Even high-fived Mike Reilly at the finish line in Kona:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez004.jpg

This is the bottom of the climb:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez029.jpg

And this is the top:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez030.jpg

It may interest you to know, it took me roughly the same amount of time to get to between bend 9 and 8 as it did for Pantani to get to the top. I think he still holds the record of around 35m 39sec (I'm just guessing the seconds!!)

These next photos are of the "tourist" finish line. I'm pretty sure Plazbot was up there the day we were.

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez093.jpg

13072010057.jpg

This next one is for Parkside. Where's Bluey?? (I really should learn not to talk when someone is taking a photo!!)

13072010053.jpg

The actual TdF finish is a couple of minutes further up. Guess what is very close by!!

Yes, an ice skating rink!!

DSC_0557.jpg

Alpe d'Huez is known as the Dutch mountain. There have been more Dutch winner's on here than any other country and there were a lot of Dutch living there. (Should of seen the Bourg on World Cup night.) At one point there was even a Dutch parish priest.

I may have more trivia during the night. I have to get ready for the Velodrome.

I'm so excited about tonight's stage. Like everyone else here. Go Cadel!!!

Again, another exciting night. I'm especially excited because I have ridden from the top of the Galibier to Alpe d'Huez the way the race goes tonight. Just not in one day!!

And of course, I have photos.

This is the view from my bedroom. The little lump in the middle is the Alpe d'Huez. (Not a great photo sorry, took it with my phone.)

DSC01775-1.jpg

Here we are getting ready to go. We stayed in Le Bourg d'Oisans for about days I think.

01_9Jul_GrenobleandLeBourgdOissans030.jpg

This next photo is of me and my little buddy ready to head off. I've had him since I was 6 months old and he has been all over the world with me. Even high-fived Mike Reilly at the finish line in Kona:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez004.jpg

This is the bottom of the climb:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez029.jpg

And this is the top:

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez030.jpg

It may interest you to know, it took me roughly the same amount of time to get to between bend 9 and 8 as it did for Pantani to get to the top. I think he still holds the record of around 35m 39sec (I'm just guessing the seconds!!)

These next photos are of the "tourist" finish line. I'm pretty sure Plazbot was up there the day we were.

05_13Jul_AlpedHuez093.jpg

13072010057.jpg

This next one is for Parkside. Where's Bluey?? (I really should learn not to talk when someone is taking a photo!!)

13072010053.jpg

The actual TdF finish is a couple of minutes further up. Guess what is very close by!!

Yes, an ice skating rink!!

DSC_0557.jpg

Alpe d'Huez is known as the Dutch mountain. There have been more Dutch winner's on here than any other country and there were a lot of Dutch living there. (Should of seen the Bourg on World Cup night.) At one point there was even a Dutch parish priest.

I may have more trivia during the night. I have to get ready for the Velodrome.

I'm so excited about tonight's stage. Like everyone else here. Go Cadel!!!

Thank you for that, that was great :lol:

It will be interesting if there is anything left in Contadors legs tonight and he attacks on the final climb - i wonder if anyone will bother setting chase considering how far down he is?

If i was Evans, i would let him go and let him get a minute or so up the road before uping the tempo and let him take the win as long as the lead doesn't blow out. If you are lucky, Contador will attack and the Schlecks will mark it and pull Evans up.

Evans will be tired from last night, he needs others to respond to attacks tonight, so Sanchez or Contador attacking may actually help Cadel get onto the podium, and also give him enough energy for the TT.

Also in Cadels favour is all the other riders like Cunego, Basso will be hoping that they can make time tonight because they won't be relying on the TT, so they may also provide a workhorse for Cadel to work off.

The BMC Boss made an interesting point on the SBS interview with Paul, that not only Cadel will be tired, they all will be. He dropped everyone except for Frank so if they were dropped it means they were at their limits and therefore will be paying for it today also, not only Cadel.

The only bloke who may have some freshness would be Frank as he was the only one who was able to just sit on.

That was a truely inspiration effort from Cadel last night and clearly shows that he is in form and brothers schleck had better get a good lead on him if they want to win the tour.

He is going to be like the nightrider from mad max in the TT!

The NIGHTRIDER is coming to get you!!!!

Edited by nin

Even so how much can you REST by sitting in on a climb like that. The leader isnt really taking the wind for you like a flat stage. You would still be doing 90-95 % of the work of the leader surely. Probably just a bit less mentally taxing.

another interesting comment from the Cadel camp (can't remember the source, I've read that many damn threads/posts/reports/tweets today). They reckon of all the traits that Cadel is most renowned for within the team, it's his natural recovery abilities after hard stages ...

So pumped for tonight's stage! Dinner, a nap then I'm popping the top off this baby and Settling in! Yeewwww

3203480466_c8104a251a.jpg

I forgot to get a Bluey from Parkside before I left, so I did the pose anyway with the intention of Photoshopping one in! :lol:

bluey.jpg

Oh BTW, because of the short stage the start is delayed, meaning the telecast starts at 10.30 and we get to watch the WHOLE stage live!!

Oh BTW, because of the short stage the start is delayed, meaning the telecast starts at 10.30 and we get to watch the WHOLE stage live!!

Yep BONUS!

Watching Cadel smash his way up a mountain with no support...good times

Hearing wife who never watched cycling yell abuse at those sucking his wheel...priceless

SO glad we get to see it all! I love Col due Telegraphe (and Huez of course)

Conor, I think that is a great choice. I'm already on the Wicks Estate Sav blanc - I'd better nap I think or I'll be asleep very soon and might not wake up!

Kal - we are pigtail sisters!! :lol:

I think, due to age, Andy probably has it in the legs, but Cadel has maturity, skill, cunning and drive. Going to be amazing.

Wolfie might go to the LBS to say hi and watch a bit, but I'm slobbing at home in the trakkies. Got roasted (unsalted) cashews tonight. No chocolate.

I Just LOVE the countdown Trev! LOL

Deadgoose prediction. BMC will treat this like TTT, Cadel will ride angry because of the wheel suckers from last night. He will be in in yellow at Alp D'Huez.

Deadgoose prediction. BMC will treat this like TTT, Cadel will ride angry because of the wheel suckers from last night. He will be in in yellow at Alp D'Huez.

Jeez I hope so. Would love to Cadel in yellow for the ITT.

Cadel had WADA visit this morning at 6am... perfect preparation :lol:

Also... make sure you are reading Robbie McEwen's twitter feed tonight.... Posted this "might throw out some comments from the peanut gallery this arvo during tdf stage if in front of tv & have internet. we'll see". Was very good last night

Edited by Steno

what did you expect them to do, Voeckler was doing all he could to hang on, F Schleck is going to do nothing to chase down his brother. There was absolutely no reason for anybody to help Cadel, if he wants to win the tour then he has to do it for himself

I've got RED Poweraide, I've got coffee, I've got zig zag twisties.... Even Gels if I get way too excited....

Let the GOOD TIMES begin!!!! :lol::lol:

I fear we may see Leop. Trek assume that role with Fabian, jensy and stuey burying themselves.

I fear we may see Leop. Trek assume that role with Fabian, jensy and stuey burying themselves.

Agree :lol:

what did you expect them to do, Voeckler was doing all he could to hang on, F Schleck is going to do nothing to chase down his brother. There was absolutely no reason for anybody to help Cadel, if he wants to win the tour then he has to do it for himself

Just saying Cadel is cranky. Bit of extra adrenaline might be useful

Right, if Voeckler was Aussie, he's called a national hero, he hold Yellow for 10 days, at least 3 days beyond expectation, nearly kills himself on an epic stage, holds Yellow, but bagged here for not helping Evans gain 20 seconds.

Ditto Cavendish..if he's Aussie he's best ever...but we conveniently ignore him...even finishing these last few stages required some guts....

And K2, if Stuey was Australian we would? Oh that's right....

With the race starting at 10:35 aest, will Gabriel cook an Entree and a Main?

Just saying Cadel is cranky. Bit of extra adrenaline might be useful

well yes, it might be a factor but figure the anger goes pretty fast and then it is his desire to win, figure that should be enough. For what it is worth I thought he did a fantastic job and looked like a man prepared to put it on the line, hope he did not too much damage in minimising the damage

Voeckler gets cred for being the bravest rider I have seen in a long time, he won't win but the depths he dug to to stay in yellow were amazing

Voeckler gets cred for being the bravest rider I have seen in a long time, he won't win but the depths he dug to to stay in yellow were amazing

Couldn't agree more

Watching Cadel smash his way up a mountain with no support...good times

Hearing wife who never watched cycling yell abuse at those sucking his wheel...priceless

I was watching the highlights with the wife who has also never watched cycling and she asked why the others weren't taking their turn at the front. When I told her they want to make Cadel do all the work she also got all abusive at the "lazy cheeting shits". I would have explained the principles involved but I was just too proud.

And K2, if Stuey was Australian we would? Oh that's right....

With the race starting at 10:35 aest, will Gabriel cook an Entree and a Main?

Just sayin' Steno...we select our heroes.

Stuey is a Tour De France legend....overlooking my question yesterday....but he's not a national hero that I know of.

I asked why he gets a ride in the tour every year, and it was conprehensively answered...here and on the road.

Agreed (comments on Voeckler) but that doesn't diminish my desire to punch him in the face for not helping Cadel while he kept him in the yellow.

Tonight I'm happy to be a one-eyed Aussie dang it!

Edited by themot

Agreed (comments on Voeckler) but that doesn't diminish my desire to punch him in the face for not helping Cadel while he kept him in the yellow.

Tonight I'm happy to be a one-eyed Aussie dang it!

Hopefully Cadel will be paid back in turn today