Sign in to follow this  
TrevS

TDF11 - Stage 18

Now why would a yellow jersey want to pull his biggest threat in TT to the man who in turn is his biggest threat (andy)just so that Cadel gets to the TT fresher with an even better chance of whipping the butt of the guy who helped him?

Voeckler has been riding smart to keep yellow...may not keep it but in a better position than if he had done what cadel suggests

Because if he would have sent his helpers to the front, he wouldn't be holding yellow by 15 seconds, but potentially still have a minute or so up his sleeve as they could have pulled Andy back. By not chasing last night he was conceding his jersey.

Anyway new stage posting up now, so over to that one now.

Simple.

Voekler himself say's he can not hold onto the race lead and winning the tour is unrealistic for him.

He/Europcar had a common goal with Evans and BMC and that was to reduce (if not close) the gap to Andy Schleck.

A win/win for both teams, Evans on GC with a tired Schleck and another day in Yellow for Voeckler.

In the end he managed to ride Evans coat tail enough to scrape through and still lost his team mates along the way. Using his team mates earlier would have meant an easier effort from Voeckler for the same if not better result.

Europcar/Voeckler fail, even though they still kept Yellow, now it's only 15secs where it could have 1minute (giving a half a chance tomorrow).

Trev this is so true, if everyone wasn't pussy footing around on the valley floor then the time gap to Andy would have been timy. All tehy needed was one good strong rider like Andy had.

Because if he would have sent his helpers to the front, he wouldn't be holding yellow by 15 seconds, but potentially still have a minute or so up his sleeve as they could have pulled Andy back. By not chasing last night he was conceding his jersey.

Anyway new stage posting up now, so over to that one now.

It still has bearing on where they are now.

So, they help evans, who has easier ride..yes? Finish closer to andy but Evans can put bigger spurt at end, so he keeps yellow but less margin to the guy who can beat him most in TT....most likely??

If so how is that better than what happened?

This now enables him to do same tonight with a chance of still winning

Anyway next stop le alpe

That's the one, made my quads tighten up just looking at it, forget about after riding the valley into a headwind. Oh and the d'Izoard and Agnel before it

interesting camera work because it exaggerates the gradient a bit. I did Galibier and Izoard a couple of years back, and the climb to Galiiber they did last night was the "easier" of the two, and is also the easiest approach to Galibier summit. Tonight's approach from Telegraphe is harder

It's the descent of the Galibier they have in front of them tonight that was scary. Ugly, dirty pile of rocks that it is, narrow road without barriers, and a looooong way down to the valley floor :lol:

It still has bearing on where they are now.

So, they help evans, who has easier ride..yes? Finish closer to andy but Evans can put bigger spurt at end, so he keeps yellow but less margin to the guy who can beat him most in TT....most likely??

If so how is that better than what happened?

This now enables him to do same tonight with a chance of still winning

Anyway next stop le alpe

It has large bearing on the current situation.

Voekler potentially would have had a 1minute lead (remember A.Schleck cracked at the top of the climb) rather than the 15secs he has now.

He can not defend that 15secs, whereas 1 minute he had half a chance.

Tomorrow if he got onto Alp d'huez along side of the other GC guys he could potentially then just ride behind at his own pace rather than try to respond to attacks. This would then be an easier and probably faster climb for him (remember Cunego the other day? rode his pace and caught up near the top, he did thta because he knew he could respond to attacks).

If Voeckler had a 1 minute buffer, roder his own paced climb with his team mate he could possibly have finished within that one minute buffer, surviving One more day in yellow and taking the jersey into the TT which he would than would definately lose it.

That is just superb. Go Cadel!

I just watched it again while on the treadmill. All Cadel's detractors crapping on about him looking around for other people to help need to watch again. At exactly 9.7km to go he attacked on a pinch and only Rolland held his wheel. The helicopter shot shows him get about 20-30m with only Rolland. The others eventually claw their way back, but Evans does not look back once when he decided to go. He is just head down arse up. It was crucial to eliminating Sanchez as he was off the back about to regain contact but Evans had strung it out and they were all chewing handlebar. Superb ride is spot on.

Also, I didn't realise how late Frank went at the end yesterday. The 200m to go sign is well behind them so I am not sure he had so much left himself. Cadel was labouring badly for a while before this. If Frank was so fresh he could have pulled a minute back himself over the last 1.5km or so. I like Basso's attempted efforts to box Frank in in the last km. Pity his legs went. Frank was right on Cadels shoulder and Basso came up and tried to hem him in because it was obvious he was about to jump Evans.

Also, I didn't realise how late Frank went at the end yesterday. The 200m to go sign is well behind them so I am not sure he had so much left himself. Cadel was labouring badly for a while before this. If Frank was so fresh he could have pulled a minute back himself over the last 1.5km or so. I like Basso's attempted efforts to box Frank in in the last km. Pity his legs went. Frank was right on Cadels shoulder and Basso came up and tried to hem him in because it was obvious he was about to jump Evans.

Gosh, maybe Basso might join the Cadel super-domestique squad again tonight???? That would be good to watch.

Trev this is so true, if everyone wasn't pussy footing around on the valley floor then the time gap to Andy would have been timy. All tehy needed was one good strong rider like Andy had.

the chase group did have Chris Anker Sørensen at the front but the gap still grew :lol: kind of ironic how last years Saxo domestiques are now working against their former team yet still against Contador :lol:

I wondered about Basso's positioning too but I later dismissed it as coincidence, maybe because he dropped back and it didn't amount to anything.

You mean like he did in Stage 1 (where he came 2nd to Gilbert, and dropped the others). And Stage 4, which he won. :lol:

Thanks to the huge stack that held up the other GC riders and stage 4 on the line with Bertie?

Abby, yes I'm a tough judge and I'm sure there's lots of others that would judge the same. He needs to do the extraordinary to gain the respect he deserves.

So you admit he deserves your respect, but just hasn't gained it :lol: