Sign in to follow this  
trinube

10 Questions with Nealo

Nealo and I joined transitions pretty close to each other and he was the second tranny I ever met (behind OneZero). He is one of the genuinely good guys on here and is quick to offer help if you need it. He's been a little quiet on the tri scene since rupturing his ACL playing touch football and has had a few challenges thrown at him the past couple of years.

Thanks for your time Nealo.

1) So rumour has it you were once a chubby little fellow. Tell us how you 'let yourself go' and what was the thing that made you do something about it?

2) Tell us about how you got to your new, svelte figure and how you took up triathlon? Any tips for anyone struggling with their weight, image?

3) Tell us about your best and worst experiences in an event - be it tri, cycle or run.

4) You brew your own beer - is that because you like the idea of creating it yourself, you prefer the taste, or because you're a tightarse? Have you ever brewed lite or fruit infused beers? :lol:

5) A few years ago we had dinner with Humdrum and I left thinking both you and her would do an Ironman and I'd be the one 'left out'. As it turns out you're the one who hasn't done one - is it anywhere on your radar for the future or has the desire now slipped and it just doesn't hold court as being that important? And we really should do dinner again sometime...

6) By your own admission you hate swimming. If swimming wasn't such a chore would IM be in your near future? And part b for this, when you ruptured your ACL I was really surprised you didn't hit the pool in a big way. Now that you've won 10 squad lessons with Coach@ do you think that might be a catalyst to giving it a red hot go or will you sell them and buy some bike bling?

7) You done 6 foot track, Sydney Half, C2S and are booked for Coastal track. Are there any other big running events you'd like to do? Do you have any running goals you'd like to achieve?

8) You've just ordered a new roadie and have been doing a bit of club cycling. Any plans to expand upon that and do more cycling events. Maybe some track or MTB racing?

9) You started a great thread on here about mental illness and I know it's dear to your heart. Without wanting to get too personal, is there anything you'd like to suggest to people whose family might be dealing with the black dog?

10) If you could take your family anywhere, with cost being no object, where would you go and why?

oh, and a supplementary question - please tell us what you see in WWE? FFS :lol:

Edited by trinube

5) A few years ago we had dinner with Humdrum and I left thinking both you and her would do an Ironman and I'd be the one 'left out'. As it turns out you're the one who hasn't done one - is it anywhere on your radar for the future or has the desire now slipped and it just doesn't hold court as being that important? And we really should do dinner again sometime...

I think Nealo will one day complete an IM race - I also think he has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I think he could complete one at the moment on minimal training (look at Otters last race report) When the time is right & things have settled down I'm sure he has it in him. This guy is stronger then most of us could ever imagine. If IM is truely 80% mental he will smash it easily.

I will also travel to what ever race it is & volunteer for the day.

Nealo & Hyphen racing are probably the two people that could drag my sorry ass out or retirment just so I could race & experience the day with them.

Cmon Trinube, what we really wanna know is how Nealo felt when he got chicked!!! :lol::lol:

Good work Trinube, Nealo is doing a two day tour this weekend so he might be a bit busy.

Im sure he will get a lesson or two there as well that he may be able to pass on. :lol:

I look forward to Nealo's responses.

Thanks Trinube for the thread.

Cheers

Ayto

Nealo & Hyphen racing are probably the two people that could drag my sorry ass out or retirment just so I could race & experience the day with them.

Shhh don't say that Bored@. If Hyphen did it, that would mean I would have to do it too, if she can I can : ) Mind you, we might not make it to the end for laughing so hard along the way : ) Especially if she gets hungry!

Just got a tactics lesson in D Grade by two kids! I've just got home but should be able to get some answers up by tonight.

Good questions.

Nealo... You like a bit of a hearty disagreement on here at times. Which posters do you look to read? How is your favourite sparing partner?

How is the knee coming along?

For someone who has never been to the Shire and doesn't live in NSW... is it a strange place?

Thanks for your time Nealo.

1) So rumour has it you were once a chubby little fellow. Tell us how you 'let yourself go' and what was the thing that made you do something about it?

I never “let myself go” because I was never there. I've been overweight since about 8 or 9. Not an overly active kid, played a bit of footy but that’s about it. My whole adult life I weighed 95+kg and swore if I reached “The Tonne” I would commit to being healthy. I came back from a family beach holiday in Jan 2006 and looked at some photo’s. I was ashamed. I stepped on the scales and it read 104.6kg. My Dad is a fantastic bloke but was never one to take you to the park or encourage being healthy and I didn't want to be like that. My kids were now 6 and 4 and while I was active with them I wasn't showing that I was an active person myself

2) Tell us about how you got to your new, svelte figure and how you took up triathlon? Any tips for anyone struggling with their weight, image?

So about a year later I was down to low 90’s and losing momentum. I always liked bike riding so bought myself a new bike so that I could start exercising and so I wouldn't burnout I bought a Polar S725X to measure my bike rides and runs. My sister in-law told me I should do some Triathlons as I’m 2/3rds the way there and it would give me something to aim for. This was around March 2007 and the Kurnell’s were over so aimed for next season. Picked some run events out and trained over winter and incorporated 1-2 swims per week starting in September. Asked heaps of newby questions on Transitions about gear etc. Had PM’s from TUV5.0 offering equipment if I needed it and I hadn't even met the bloke. Did all 4 Kurnells and Callala and loved every bit.

I could go on a bit about what I did next but suffice to say I did a HM which I loved and really got into the running. Looked around and through a friend’s suggestion decided to go for 6-Foot. It didn't really occur to me that 6-Foot is longer than a Marathon but signed up to Willy2Billy (as it had a soft time for qualifying for 6-Foot) and the Sydney Marathon. In my eyes I smashed Willy2Billy in 3:16 (6-Foot Qual. was 4:30), I was still scared of the Marathon but not of 6-Foot. Marathon in 3:50 (aimed for 3:45) and 6-Foot in 5:05 (aimed for 5). Went back to 6-Foot because I really wanted 5 hours and achieved that year by 3s last year with CEM’s help.

I’m still yet to work out the driving force for losing weight but I can say my one bit of advice is what Coach@ tells us time and time again. Consistency.

14 months after my knee reconstruction and I can't work out how to get back the head space that saw me at 80kg and below.

3) Tell us about your best and worst experiences in an event - be it tri, cycle or run.

I'm yet to have an experience what I would call a worst. Some disappointments like missing my 6-Foot goal by 5mins but I was also so elated at the event and finishing that how could it possibly be a bad thing? In all honesty I'm yet to have something bad happen in an event. Touch footy on the other hand.....................yeah I tore my ACL from the bone and as much as I miss the team aspect I won't be going back.

4) You brew your own beer - is that because you like the idea of creating it yourself, you prefer the taste, or because you're a tightarse? Have you ever brewed lite or fruit infused beers?

I've had many a go at brewing my own beer. Yes because I’m a tightarse but also because I thought I could control the flavour. I’m absolutely hopeless at it and have given up. My flavour isn't consistent. :lol:

I will do one. It will be on my terms. Family is my no.1 priority and if it fits with them then I’ll consider it. I love going to my kids sporting matches and get just as much buzz from them playing sport as I do, that’s something I never would have thought. Family is that important we’re going to the Gold Coast this year and I’m missing my no.1 race (Callala) and my no.1 Club event (the Pub run). I turn 38 this year and had an idea of doing a IM for my 40th B’day. My 40th would be a week before Busso and it would make a great holiday with the family. We’ll see. The year we had dinner at Port I went to get motivation to do one and got it. But also got a dose of reality about the time it takes to do one well. I would like to do one well. That doesn't mean sub 10 by the way. My well would be sub 12, we all have different goals. I’ll let you in on one of my secrets, I set my goals roughly on being better than average. I’m an average guy so to do well I need to do better than average. Simple.

6) By your own admission you hate swimming. If swimming wasn't such a chore would IM be in your near future? And part b for this, when you ruptured your ACL I was really surprised you didn't hit the pool in a big way. Now that you've won 10 squad lessons with Coach@ do you think that might be a catalyst to giving it a red hot go or will you sell them and buy some bike bling?

I hate swimming. Why? Because I suck at it. I also hated running when I started and learnt to like that, even love it. There’s two things with swimming and the main one is that I have neck issues. Some kind of alignment/posture thing. When I swim I get a migraine at least half the time and I think I've narrowed it down to my neck and shoulder. I need to get off my arse and get that sorted so I can move forward. I have somewhat of a plan to get that looked at over the next couple of months and then hit the pool consistently during September/October. Swimming is not holding me back from Ironman but it is holding me back from becoming a better Triathlete.

7) You done 6 foot track, Sydney Half, C2S and are booked for Coastal track. Are there any other big running events you'd like to do? Do you have any running goals you'd like to achieve?

I've sold the Coastal Classic to Hiltz as it clashes with a Father/Son football club weekend away (see putting family 1st again :D) but I think my motivation lies with cycling at the moment. I’m very average at that (read competing in D grade this weekend) but enjoy it none the less. In terms of running events I’m looking forward to getting older and doing events around Australia and maybe the world where Lisa and I can holiday, but that’s a long way in the future.

8) You've just ordered a new roadie and have been doing a bit of club cycling. Any plans to expand upon that and do more cycling events. Maybe some track or MTB racing?

Ah MTBing. Put simply it’s tough. I've been riding with some friends at Awaba near Newcastle and if all MTBing was like that I could get into it. The tracks up there are superb and you don’t even realise how hard you’re working. But besides that you need skill to go fast. I don’t have skill. I have very limited co-ordination. Yeah I've ordered the new Azzurri with Ultegra Di2 because it just seemed like such a bargain. I love a bargain and I’m not a brand snob, just don’t tell Lisa.

9) You started a great thread on here about mental illness and I know it's dear to your heart. Without wanting to get too personal, is there anything you'd like to suggest to people whose family might be dealing with the black dog?

It’s hard subject and that’s the reason I started the thread. People don’t like to talk about it but if we don’t talk about it we don’t learn. You can read some of my stuff in that thread but like I said there, it took me 2 years to tell some anonymous people (transitions) what I was going through. And I wasn't the one suffering depression! Use those that are close to you. If you have close friends they won’t desert you, trust me.

10) If you could take your family anywhere, with cost being no object, where would you go and why?

Disneyland. Yep it’s American and cheesy but it’s so well done. We went there on our Honeymoon and then took the kids when they were 4 and 2 as we were over there for a wedding and the looks on the kids faces is just magical, full of believe anything innocence. We’re going back in December next year as I think with the kids being 12 and 10 we’re on the verge of them losing that innocence.

oh, and a supplementary question - please tell us what you see in WWE? FFS

Once again Family related. My son loves it. He wrestles 2 teddies every night, he puts finishing moves on them and acts out all sorts of stuff. In fact as I sit here and look across at him his sitting in his John Cena PJ pants, his John Cena Shirt and has on his John Cena arm bands. He counted down the day’s till we went from 90 all the way down to 0, marking them off daily.

Cmon Trinube, what we really wanna know is how Nealo felt when he got chicked!!! :D:lol:

Anyone else (like my SIL getting me by 10s :lol: ) and I'd be upset. Seeing you smoke that run was worth it. What you've been through and now achieving is fantastic.

Nealo... You like a bit of a hearty disagreement on here at times. Which posters do you look to read? How is your favourite sparing partner?

How is the knee coming along?

For someone who has never been to the Shire and doesn't live in NSW... is it a strange place?

My Trannies Trannie is Reefmanburger. I read many of his posts and think why couldn't I have said it like that. Or when I refrain from posting because i think it would come across the wrong way, Reefy seems to come along and say what I'm thinking.

Sparing partner? My spats with Peter probably went too far but it started out innocent I swear.

There's another guy too but he's not worth talking about. Most arrogant nobody I've ever met.

Your white so you wouldn't have a problem. :D But seriously it's no different to any coastal NSW area.

I’m still yet to work out the driving force for losing weight but I can say my one bit of advice is what Coach@ tells us time and time again. Consistency.

14 months after my knee reconstruction and I can't work out how to get back the head space that saw me at 80kg and below.

Although I haven't had an operation, I have been sitting on my arse for a few months looking for motivation. After a few false starts I've opted for the "set easy goals" option, so the current plan is to ride every day in July. Just get out and do something, no matter how small, and usually after a few weeks the motivation starts firing up again. So far it's working (though it's only 2nd July :lol::D)

I liken it to getting up early in the morning. The first two weeks are tough, after that you start waking up before the alarm clock :lol:

Shhh don't say that Bored@. If Hyphen did it, that would mean I would have to do it too, if she can I can : ) Mind you, we might not make it to the end for laughing so hard along the way : ) Especially if she gets hungry!

Nealo, Bored@ and LMT you are all safe. No plans in the forseeable future for that! ever ever ever.....but then again...one day.....maybe I will.....and my zimmer frame will be made of carbon and it will be airbrushed with SheBeast 70.

Nealo wrote." People don’t like to talk about it but if we don’t talk about it we don’t learn" its so true. Would love to hear from SteveFitz and see what is happening with Black Dog Racing. Im so keen to get something happening down here in Sydney. Our club has BDR as our official charity but Id love to do more for them. So many ideas, so little time and resources. I'd love to get something going like a Black Dog ride once a month or similar. Just a thought.

Nealo is definitely one of the good guys and always a pleasure to be around :lol:

Nealo is definitely one of the good guys and always a pleasure to be around :lol:

+10

Nice work Trinube...Nealo....good you did it.

Trinube...post the questions on weekday AM, for the greater audience. It works better. Or get the questions up in Late PM...for AM...and tip off your subject, so he can get on it immediately.