TrevS

Degrading/Objectification of Women

Since a few people just don't seem to get it!

Of late there have been a number of posts or threads that have been removed due to degrading comments towards women.

It's a growing trend again only by the 'few'. It is not appreciated in the slightest.

If you think people don't read or shouldn't be offended then think again.

I know because I hear them.

This site is for everybody be they male or female and of any age.

If you can't/won't say things to your own daughter/wife/sister/mother/grand mother then what makes you think other women should hear it.

Take this as your sole warning if I (or any other mod/admin) are required to remove any more comments, posts or thread, the offending poster will likewise be removed.

The choice is yours in the way you post.

If you think I'm being harsh then odds are you are a likely culprit (otherwise it would be of no concern).

I would like the women to be able to speak their mind on this and not feel intimidated or attacked for speaking up.

Trev.

Admin.

I would also like the women to speak up on this. I would like to know whether you find it offensive (as Trev S seems to think you do) that 99% of the mainstream media refer to Pippa Middleton as 'Her Royal Hotness'. I referred to her in this manner in a recent post, and was censored for it, and I am curious to see if you think that the first 50+ pages of Google results are out of line if one uses that term to refer to Ms Middleton jnr.

I would also like to know if you run screaming out of the room every time the ad for the Pork Industry comes on. You know, the one where the woman says "I porked him" - obviously referring to feeding him a pig-based product and not referring to anything else in some sort of double entendre.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to ring my mummy and tell her that I find Pippa Middleon attractive, and that I would not mind being in a race with her.

To be honest, I find some of the abuse that goes on here more offensive than the Royal Hotness stuff. But then again, I am not a woman.

geez, i'm going to HOOTERS at the riff friday night and had planned on posting pics of me dancing drunk on tables with the hooters chicks, i guess i better not in case some people think this is exploitation of women. :lol:

I would also like the women to speak up on this. I would like to know whether you find it offensive (as Trev S seems to think you do) that 99% of the mainstream media refer to Pippa Middleton as 'Her Royal Hotness'. I referred to her in this manner in a recent post, and was censored for it, and I am curious to see if you think that the first 50+ pages of Google results are out of line if one uses that term to refer to Ms Middleton jnr.

I would also like to know if you run screaming out of the room every time the ad for the Pork Industry comes on. You know, the one where the woman says "I porked him" - obviously referring to feeding him a pig-based product and not referring to anything else in some sort of double entendre.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to ring my mummy and tell her that I find Pippa Middleon attractive, and that I would not mind being in a race with her.

I'll miss your posts :lol: in here moderators are Gods with power over life and death. If they deem it so that power is absolute there is no appeal to a court of public opinion or otherwise - like on the field, if the ref says get back 5m you just do it.

Edited by Slowman

I don't find things like Her Royal Hotness offensive! In fact, I personally haven't found many things offensive on this site - and I read it all day, coz I'm bored!!!! :lol:

But then again it would take a lot to offend me - and a chat site certainly wouldn't be one of the places where I'd find comments offensive! I'd get annoyed if someone directed something at me, but it really wouldn't bother me, seeing as I have no idea who they are!!!!

:lol:

BTW - I am female!!!! Someone once called me a bloke on here!!!! :D

Total over-reaction by the mods, IMHO....

"If you think it harsh, you are likely a culprit..." ie. If you think I'm wrong, then its not because you disagree with my mod standards, its because you hate women... FFS, how about a bit of rationality...

How about just a total ban of any posts by men of anything to do with women. How about a compulsory gender indicator under our profiles with each post - that way we know if someone is being a mysoginist or just an "edgy femmo sistah"...??

As someone else has said - far, far more offensive comments are let slide on this site....

Cheers,

Abby

Isn't this a triathlon forum? why is is necessary to refer to someones "hotness" as descriptor of their participation or competition in triathlons?

And just cos other people do it elsewhere, doesn't mean it's right.

I'm of the XX gender and I suppose for the most part think it lies somewhere between offensive and just simply unneccesary.

I agree, a lot of persona bashing also goes on here, and I have seen that "moderated" too.

I guess out in the real world, a lot of things wouldn't be actually said to someone. The mark of the internet and chat forums is there's annonymity and no accountability for saying utter trash.

I'm not saying I've been offended by anything on here - usually I'm curious as to what was said that had been deleted by the mods! But I get where they are coming from.

you wanna talk trash about some girl with your buddies? email, pm, phone, text, or have a beer together. Don't have to post if for the world to see.

And yes, if I don't like whats being posted, i don't have to read it. And some threads I haven't. I also spend a lot of time here cruising cos I'm bored at work. Like now.

As someone else has said - far, far more offensive comments are let slide on this site....

Exactly. The current mod/admin alows personal relationsips/friendships to dictate who and what receives various censorship.

Keep up the good work Trev and Big Kev - a hard volunteer gig.

FM

You are the admin and if you want to use the big stick that's cool.

Just use it equally and fairly not selectively.

I had 3 overly aggressive personal attacks which should also bring a ban to the person and yet nothing.

I'll enjoy watching this one play out.

At the end of the day an easier solution would be PM the person and ask them to not do it anymore. And click on the x and delete the persons comments.

BTW where are the forum rules? I can't find them anymore....

They were not needed since someone named "Blew" left. He was an absolute wanker...............

FM

Which also touches on another point, content. I think that if I had to categorise myself, I would say I am a cyclist more than a triathlete. The recent forum feel has been pointing towards a cycling forum. We have the sand box for random stuff and I feel that there should be a cycling specific forum added to allow some segregation of topics. That said, I expect I am barking up the wrong tree as the admin/mod starts a weekly topic listing all the local Sydney cycle club races as some 'event' notification. Again, a demonstration of personal bias influencing the forum content.

You have got to be consistent.

and I would like the term Ranga/s put in the same list too please!!

I find this ultra offensive...

I had 3 overly aggressive personal attacks which should also bring a ban to the person and yet nothing.

At the end of the day an easier solution would be PM the person and ask them to not do it anymore. And click on the x and delete the persons comments.

I think being a mod would be incredibly hard. Must take up a lot of time, and if the time is not there it makes it even harder because they will miss some stuff that happens which will make it appear that they are not being equal and fair. Unless someone actually brings it to their attention.

And I have noticed the way some people say they only play the ball and not the man even though their comments are specifically directed at the person and not the argument. (This in regard to you being personally attacked Peter. It's usually coz they know they have lost the argument - that comment not at anyone in particular.)

Being a chick who was worked primarily with guys (petrochemical plant) and trained with mostly guys I've learned just to switch off when the talk becomes less than flattering towards women. I've also learnt on here which posts to read, which ones to discontinue because I know where they are most likely going to go.

As for being heavy handed, even though it is a "casual" non-business related forum there probably still has to be a certain standard even if there is only one complaint made, because you only need one person to complain to the "right" people and the worst-case scenario is the site gets closed down. Big deal, just start another one I guess..... I'm supposed to go to Equal Opportunity training next week. I wasn't going to. Maybe I should and find out the laws.

Kylee

Edited by kal

Which also touches on another point, content. I think that if I had to categorise myself, I would say I am a cyclist more than a triathlete. The recent forum feel has been pointing towards a cycling forum. We have the sand box for random stuff and I feel that there should be a cycling specific forum added to allow some segregation of topics. That said, I expect I am barking up the wrong tree as the admin/mod starts a weekly topic listing all the local Sydney cycle club races as some 'event' notification. Again, a demonstration of personal bias influencing the forum content.

If you were to look at the cycling posts, I think individually they have more views than a lot of other topics other than maybe race day Ironman ones. So agree with you there towards the bias. Plus a lot of us spend a lot more time and money on our bikes than our running or swimming gear so makes sense that we would drift that way. Maybe a cycling specific

As for the weekly race stuff, I think you might be overly harsh there as I thought TrevS did include the triathlons that he knows of, and does ask for contributions by other people for other races. If nobody else contributes that is hardly the moderator's fault.

Maybe that Plazbot guy should make a comeback. He was a mod for awhile wasn't he :lol:

Maybe that Plazbot guy should make a comeback. He was a mod for awhile wasn't he :lol:

If you could read some of the hate mail I received via pm you would see that it is not something that you would want. Without bullshitting, some of the people who post here are legitimalely unstable. I am half expecting a few to come knocking on my door with a gun one day. :lol: Most concerning is who these people are in the real world. edit.. which I might add, while I have my critique hat on, the current moderators do nothing to stamp out. As I have pointed out behind the scences, if someone was litigious in nature, some people could be in for a very rude shock with what is allowed to remain on this site.

Edited by tobzalp

Got the wifes opinion (t-bird) on this at lunch and also my own.

Tough gig being a moderator - not only doing that but your own job. For that i and the wife are appreciative.

While you don't want to moderate everything, blatent sexist threads and comments are just unnecessary. Sure some people come on here to blow off steam, but regardless there needs to be some more concerted effort to consider that this is a public forum.

Sending out a general warning to everyone raises the attention of the matter, rather than just letting people continually troll. Would those offended by this thread, feel better if we put up a 'don't abuse otehr people thread' would that then settle the nerves?

Good call. Respect yourself and those you are communicating with.

If you could read some of the hate mail I received via pm you would see that it is not something that you would want. Without bullshitting, some of the people who post here are legitimalely unstable. I am half expecting a few to come knocking on my door with a gun one day. :lol: Most concerning is who these people are in the real world. edit.. which I might add, while I have my critique hat on, the current moderators do nothing to stamp out. As I have pointed out behind the scences, if someone was litigious in nature, some people could be in for a very rude shock with what is allowed to remain on this site.

I have never really thought much about the behind the scenes stuff that goes on but have taken the site pretty much at face value. Hate mail would not be pleasant. Hard to imagine that people get that worked up about stuff. I guess this is where blocking people comes in handy. Can you do that on here? But shame it should have to come to that. (And I apologise if suggesting Plazbot come back was said more lightly when it may have been quite a serious issue him.)

Anyway, back to the original concept of the thread.......

Stuff

On topic, the sexist/objectifying comments ARE a problem and have been complained about quite a bit directly to moderators in the past by a number of people. This specific topic was decided to be treated as a zero tolerance measure and anything was to be immediately removed. The only people who I have ever seen complain about removal are those who have been edited. You would not stand in the line up before a swim start and say half the shit that gets posted here directly to females, and if that is the case don't post it. It's pretty simple.

Put me down for two visors and one..... Oh wait.... Wrong thread.....

+1 and should include any comments about family members...

Be consistent - some of the balls left to the keeper have been breathtaking - and not resulted in any consequences..if your going to lay hardball be objective

Be consistent - some of the balls left to the keeper have been breathtaking - and not resulted in any consequences..if your going to lay hardball be objective

That to which you are referring was the most disgraceful stuff I have ever seen posted on here. ever.

I dont think so the Mod/admin is asking for what he can and cant do. If you dont like his ways - just dont log on. its not a public forum.

+1 on the ban for the awful language/objectification for women. Some of the stuff which gets posted is terrible. just because there is stuff of TV/internet which objectifies women does not mean it is right. some people will go to any lengths to justify their stupid actions.

Easier to throw stones from a distance. Volunteering for moderation of a site full of crazy lunatics is the worst job imaginable.

So this is the yearly "I've got nothing to train for" thread again?

I've got no issues with this case, however I would add that one mod has made a comment directed towards a group of us (I strongly believe I was one of the posters it was directed towards) who disagreed with them, so I also would like to see this applied equally. It was a few years ago now, and I got over it quickly (as I think other posters it was directed at did), but find it hypocritical to be pulling up only things that they find offensive on some occassions, and take action appears to be less than consistent. It's a hard job to do agreed, and I know they can't be everywhere and so we all need to assist them with reporting things we see, but they in turn need to be consistent or continue to send mixed messages which will do nothing to change the behaviour.

That to which you are referring was the most disgraceful stuff I have ever seen posted on here. ever

Parky, you made an error in your sentence. You need to take out the word "seen".

FM

Small minds talk about people.

Average minds talk about events.

Great minds talk about ideas.

Small minds talk about people.

Average minds talk about events.

Great minds talk about ideas.

Gee CEM this was your chance to say SANDBOX. I haven't seen anything triathlon related in it.

One you missed maybe?

I do. In fact, after I was very outspoken on the last Pippa thread, several women on Trannies sent me PMs saying that they were glad someone stood up to you blokes as they were too timid to rock the boat and draw attention to themselves. They didn't want to deal with the flack that they'd receive if they spoke out.

As I said to one of them, my shoulders are broad enough to carry the burden of being labelled 'a hairy-underarmed man-hater' if that's what makes the guys that say it feel better about themselves.

Your imaginery '99% of the mainstream media' figure doesn't make it right.

There is a thread in the Sandbox at the moment about a 14 year old being raped and set on fire which is causing quite a stir with all the 'keyboard heros' on this site. If you can't see the connection between rape and sexual slurs against women then you need an education. The whole cycle starts with something that seems innocent and playful enough.

That is, you comment on a womans appearance, it then makes her into an object to be viewed on the value of her aesthetics only = objectification.

Once something is made into an 'object', it becomes a commodity that can be bought eg. prostitution.

If something can be bought, then surely, it can be stolen = rape.

That is, you comment on a womans appearance, it then makes her into an object to be viewed on the value of her aesthetics only = objectification.

What about art? I.e. 'Life' portraits, photographs, sculptures etc that celebrate the female(and male) form? What of the great literates that describe female(and male) beauty? Having an appreciation of aesthetics and beauty does not the rapist make.

For what it's worth, I agree that sexist, objectifying comments should be removed. But at the same time, your type casting and vitriol directed at 'blokes' shits me to tears.

Conor

What about art? I.e. 'Life' portraits, photographs, sculptures etc that celebrate the female(and male) form? What of the great literates that describe female(and male) beauty? Having an appreciation of aesthetics and beauty does not the rapist make.

I would never confuse the fine arts for gutter talk.

For what it's worth, I agree that sexist, objectifying comments should be removed. But at the same time, your type casting and vitriol directed at 'blokes' shits me to tears.

Conor

Like I said, my shoulders are broad enough to handle the fall-out.

Customer, why were you on the other side of the fence during a heated debate topic a couple of years ago under your previous identity?

you are not wrong about that Coach, your restraint and humility were astounding and an example.

I suspect it's a case of the squeaky wheel. You can't expect total consistency (and you certainly won't get it with the squeaky wheel approach) but I think your reference does put the argument strongly that the balance can be improved.

I respect the job that the mods do and I know it is hard to be everywhere all the time but please take some of these comments on board, Coach's example does need some thought.

I still say we need to abide by moderator's decisions when we are affected by them - I've had threads and comments deleted. While I didn't agree with the reasoning I accepted their authority to do so without complaint. In this case though raising this thread immediately after such an action I do not think the wisest nor most transparent thing to do as it is an invitation for the affected party to argue their case - for which I hope there is no penalty as implied.

Customer, why were you on the other side of the fence during a heated debate topic a couple of years ago under your previous identity?

No I wasn't on the other side of the fence. Like I said above, I never cross fine art with what is being discussed here. They are at polar ends of each other.

Total over-reaction by the mods, IMHO....

"If you think it harsh, you are likely a culprit..." ie. If you think I'm wrong, then its not because you disagree with my mod standards, its because you hate women... FFS, how about a bit of rationality...

How about just a total ban of any posts by men of anything to do with women. How about a compulsory gender indicator under our profiles with each post - that way we know if someone is being a mysoginist or just an "edgy femmo sistah"...??

Cheers,

Abby

Agree Abby. The latest thread removal seemed a massive overreaction. I am becoming concerned that Trannies is being overrun by relgious fanatics. Last time i looked we live in Australia where the larrikin spirit and good sense of humour were part of our national makeup. No so on Trannies.

The moderation of this site has become very very inconsistent, overbearing and more in line with something you expect to see from christian fundamentalists.

I struggle to see the distinction between the 'fine art' and objectification, not meaning to start a huge debate as we obviously have different views on this but aren't they both objectification?

I know that art is about the reaction of the person viewing and the intent of the artist is to draw a feeling/emotion but in the previous example some viewers would have objectified the subject matter and isn't that what you're now objecting to? (And I do agree by the way that some of the comments made on here lately have been out of line)

Trev (and BigKev) great job.... And I am surprisingly with The Customer with this. Would you like your wife, mum, sister to be spoken about in not so pleasant terms?

Note: I did not read the Pippa thread. Either the creator of it was on Ignore and I therefore didn't see it, or I thought it would be an inane piece.

I also agree, and I think Trev and BigKev would, that it is a self moderating forum to some degree. Simply hit the “report” button and state your reason. They have always been very responsive when I have done this. You have to remember this job is not paid and it does take time. I honestly believe most of us owe Trev and BigKev a beer for keeping this forum the place to go for Triathlon chat in Australia. As an aside, only one of you should buy Trev a beer. Two and things start to get shaky :lol:

Trev (and BigKev) great job.... And I am surprisingly with The Customer with this. Would you like your wife, mum, sister to be spoken about in not so pleasant terms?

Note: I did not read the Pippa thread. Either the creator of it was on Ignore and I therefore didn't see it, or I thought it would be an inane piece.

I also agree, and I think Trev and BigKev would, that it is a self moderating forum to some degree. Simply hit the “report” button and state your reason. They have always been very responsive when I have done this. You have to remember this job is not paid and it does take time. I honestly believe most of us owe Trev and BigKev a beer for keeping this forum the place to go for Triathlon chat in Australia. As an aside, only one of you should buy Trev a beer. Two and things start to get shaky :lol:

I totally support and appreciate what Trev has done here - I'm happy to buy that beer!

The disappointing thing about the Pippa thread is that it should have been a huge positive.

Here's an attractive, healthy young woman who is attracting a lot of main stream press lately (for whatever reason) participating in our sport..... should be a cause for celebration, maybe more people will dip their toes in and have a go at these triathlacon thingies and more numbers means more funding and a better sport for all of us.

Instead the topics been shut and we're debating the action of the moderators on the forum and the standards that we're being held to. Come on, if you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, don't type it....and if you would say it I'm tipping you're single and wondering why you spend so much time on line.

I do. In fact, after I was very outspoken on the last Pippa thread, several women on Trannies sent me PMs saying that they were glad someone stood up to you blokes as they were too timid to rock the boat and draw attention to themselves. They didn't want to deal with the flack that they'd receive if they spoke out.

As I said to one of them, my shoulders are broad enough to carry the burden of being labelled 'a hairy-underarmed man-hater' if that's what makes the guys that say it feel better about themselves.

Your imaginery '99% of the mainstream media' figure doesn't make it right.

There is a thread in the Sandbox at the moment about a 14 year old being raped and set on fire which is causing quite a stir with all the 'keyboard heros' on this site. If you can't see the connection between rape and sexual slurs against women then you need an education. The whole cycle starts with something that seems innocent and playful enough.

Once something is made into an 'object', it becomes a commodity that can be bought eg. prostitution.

If something can be bought, then surely, it can be stolen = rape.

+1

and a second thread which is basically pippa middleton did a multi-sport event - is pretty much imbecilic (if that's a word that is)

Edited by Formerly known as BOTP II

The disappointing thing about the Pippa thread is that it should have been a huge positive.

Here's an attractive, healthy young woman who is attracting a lot of main stream press lately (for whatever reason) participating in our sport..... should be a cause for celebration, maybe more people will dip their toes in and have a go at these triathlacon thingies and more numbers means more funding and a better sport for all of us.

Instead the topics been shut and we're debating the action of the moderators on the forum and the standards that we're being held to. Come on, if you wouldn't say it to somebody's face, don't type it....and if you would say it I'm tipping you're single and wondering why you spend so much time on line.

I agree with all this except the ones that usually say the derogatory stuff are the bored, married, middle-aged ones.

the scary thing is, some people WOULD say some of these things to women face to face.

touble is, recently societies standards of what is appropriate have been slipping with social networking and such. There's no accountability or social pressure to be "nice".

Good on the mods for trying to hold higher standards than the lowest common denominator.

:lol: