Merv

All things NRL

Got me phucked why the NRL allow Sutton anywhere near a big match. Admittedly sharks played poorly, but you just new after sutton blew his first penalty they were in for a rough night

B

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

question as I am poorly educated on league. As Slater was penalised and if had not done that the player would have scored, is that a case for a penalty try.

Should he have been sin binned

Yes, penalty try if the illegal tackle prevented a probable try. every commentator said it was a try saving shoulder charge. Storm won a Grand Final on a penalty try due to an illegal tackle preventing a try in 1999.

Yes sin-bin. Sutton went to water. Woudn't even put it on report. Slater will get off despite it being the copybook example of a shoulder charge so they can have a Grand Final Slater-fest circle jerk.

19 minutes ago, Merv said:

Got me phucked why the NRL allow Sutton anywhere near a big match. Admittedly sharks played poorly, but you just new after sutton blew his first penalty they were in for a rough night

B

Phuck me Merv, his brother is the head of the refs. Whole family is incompetent. Checcin should be No 1 ref but horribly treated and leaving he game

If anything gets him off it will be this photo. His right hand makes contact with the player before the left shoulder. By the letter of the rules it probably shouldn't have even been a penalty.

This is the rule:

As part of a change to the Judiciary and Match Review system, a player will be charged if:

• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and text

4 hours ago, trinube said:

Shoulder charge - should get suspended - won't.  

Something about fairytales...

His used his right hand. The photo above shows it. 

So clean tackle. Probably why they didn’t send off. 

I like this photo. Slater plays. Cooper buggered arm. 

Storm in it with a chance now. 

36 minutes ago, Merv said:

His right hand proves nothing imo. 

The rule says "if he did not use or attempt to use his arms (including his hands)". As lazy as that hand movement is, it would be construed as an "attempt", and therefore anybody fighting this one would get off with it, especially before a grand final.

Add to that it's Slater's farewell, and I reckon this is just a publicity stunt by the NRL to grab so headlines in Melbourne away from the AFL.

100% shoulder charge, and illegal tackle. watching in slow mo, I can only see all shoulder before his hand touches the player,  but, he will most likely get off as slightly different rules in the final series. 

Edited by Prince

whether he gets off on review is one thing. But at the time it was a pen, if he does not tackle illegally the player scores. Given the ref gave a pen he should have awarded a penalty try then sent it for review to the video ref.

The video ref could have reviewed and made the call to deem it not a penalty or a shoulder charge or it was a penalty and a shoulder charge.

Yeah, it was illegal, but the Sharks didn't seem to care in the press conference afterwards & said they didn't want him rubbed out of the GF, so he'll be OK.  Didn't influence the result IMO, the sharks were shot gummies anyway after their big match against the Pamphers & all their injuries.  But they did OK, had a decent season all up.  Just hope they don't lose Valentine next season.

They were saying on fox sports this morning that the rule is against a front on shoulder charge. No one running side by side. 

They did say if he got his head with the shoulder he would be screwed. 

This was from 3 former players and the skinny guy host. 

its going to be an interesting week. 

What day is the judgement?

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

What day is the judgement?

Booked in for Tuesday night, but Storm are pushing to bring it forward to Monday to assist GF preparations.

Shoulder charge in any universe. Premeditated. Like it or not he should be charged. If the refs had balls and sin-binned him on the night he wouldn't have been cited. So, the NRL will rort the system and let him off. they;ve already done the video tributes and engraved the Churchill Medal.

On 22/09/2018 at 6:27 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

If anything gets him off it will be this photo. His right hand makes contact with the player before the left shoulder. By the letter of the rules it probably shouldn't have even been a penalty.

This is the rule:

As part of a change to the Judiciary and Match Review system, a player will be charged if:

• The contact is forceful, and;
• The player did not use, or attempt to use, his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and text

Bracing himself from his own shoulder charge... Ive seen it all now....    no attempt to use his hand to tackle or hold, thats a "oh fark" moment

"oh, ive dropped my shoulder, i better put my hand out so i dont hurt myself".... 

Cant exonerate him for this, just a grub act in the modern game.

thing i found most amazing about easts v souths, was all the late shots on cronk, to the point of injuring him before half time, yet souths are so structured in game plan, only run at him three times in the second half.... why try and kill him, one late tackle at a time if youre not going run at him.  just dumb football, in fairness though, they did lose.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

34 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Is Greenburg the worst Executive in sports

He talks a good game, but he s execution is fairly lame. The Peter Beattie appappointment was strange. He phucked up the Comm Games.

10 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Bracing himself from his own shoulder charge... Ive seen it all now....    no attempt to use his hand to tackle or hold, thats a "oh fark" moment

"oh, ive dropped my shoulder, i better put my hand out so i dont hurt myself".... 

Cant exonerate him for this, just a grub act in the modern game.

thing i found most amazing about easts v souths, was all the late shots on cronk, to the point of injuring him before half time, yet souths are so structured in game plan, only run at him three times in the second half.... why try and kill him, one late tackle at a time if youre not going run at him.  just dumb football, in fairness though, they did lose.

Fittler and Johns were mentioning this this morning, said Melbourne will be much more methodical and target him accurately and repeatedly a la Thurston last season

I don't even like Slater, but in all fairness, the shoulder charge rule was never brought in for this type of situation. It was to stop the shoulder being used front on in the ruck. How often do you see the body used to propel a player in to touch? All the time. Even the Cronulla players agreed this wasn't a citeable offense.

I think the lifting tackle by Friend was a lot worse than this.

9 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I don't even like Slater, but in all fairness, the shoulder charge rule was never brought in for this type of situation. It was to stop the shoulder being used front on in the ruck. How often do you see the body used to propel a player in to touch? All the time. Even the Cronulla players agreed this wasn't a citeable offense.

I think the lifting tackle by Friend was a lot worse than this.

to be honest, i dont care if he plays or not, I note the sharks are even saying he shouldnt be suspended.    i like shoulder charges but if the game made them illegal, then they need to uphold their own rules. 

anyway, we will know within 48 hours

12 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Fittler and Johns were mentioning this this morning, said Melbourne will be much more methodical and target him accurately and repeatedly a la Thurston last season

theyd be nuts to plays him.  do they still put players in chambers for recovery, if so, he will be living in there all week. 

hope he is right because it wont be much of grand final without him

I liked what mad-dog said. You can be on the mobile phone in you car calling the fire brigade because your house is on fire but it's still breaking the law.

He made no attempt to wrap his arms around. I don't care if it is side on, head on or arse on and his hand briefly brushed against him - he hit him with a deliberate shoulder charge. There was nothing stopping him from making a normal tackle except he knew it would be ineffective - essentially he was willing to commit a foul for the advantage of his team.

They need to grow some balls and charge and suspend him - it's not like it's a precedent - people have missed grand finals for suspensions since 1908. All the Queenslanders (Meninga, Mander et all) coming out to support him makes me puke. Only one missing is Beattie but he probably doesn't realise the GF is this week.

47 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

hope he is right because it wont be much of grand final without him

Won't be regardless.

Why would anyone watch when they want both teams to lose? It's also gonna be like the 1986 imsomniac killer between Canterbury and Parra. Doubt there'll be more than 10 points scored in total :sleeping:

roosters storm, sums up why league is dying. 2 teams who have little fan base but big tpa that other clubs who actually have fans can't match.

League which is a good game exists mainly for fox to have something to show

Seems to me like some people still think the N in NRL stands for New South Wales and can't get past there are actually good players and teams from outside the states borders

Maybe they’re sick of the Broncos/Storm/Qld circlejerk mentality and unfair advantage pervading the administration, media and referees ranks

Yep, competition sucks when you had none for a century and could get away with believing how great you were

Look to the AFL system for unfair advantage to grow the game, yet Victorian clubs still manage to do okay

Things are changing,  The Big 3 are nearly dusted. apart from Munster and a couple of the younger bronco forwards, there is no clear indication Broncos/Storm players are going to continue dominating the QLD origin side,

What is scary though, is the crowd figures at Bronco home games could be bigger.  The number of families and others who avoid Suncorp Stadium due to crowd behaviour is significant.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Parkside said:

Maybe they’re sick of the Broncos/Storm/Qld circlejerk mentality and unfair advantage pervading the administration, media and referees ranks

Of course this tackle by a Sydney player against Brisbane was perfectly legit, and therefore got no charge laid.

Image result for nappa tackle

I can really see how he's going for the tackle rather than just trying to lay out the player. Maybe if Slater had used his head he wouldn't be up on a charge?

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

Ok, so I know nothing about foozball.  But I keep reading that the only way he was doing that try was with the shoulder charge and a tackle wouldn't do it?  So he launched at him with his shoulder and knocked the guy out of the field.  How could opening his arms up and launching at him with his upper body the same way not done that?  Sure, a low down take might not have worked.

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Of course this tackle by a Sydney player against Brisbane was perfectly legit, and therefore got no charge laid.

I can really see how he's going for the tackle rather than just trying to lay out the player. Maybe if Slater had used his head he wouldn't be up on a charge?

Napa should have got 12 weeks for the first one and 12 months for the second. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think its quite an interesting side note that both Dylan Napa and Latrell Mitchell who were each suspended for dangerous contact to a players head/neck will return for suspension just in time to play in a Grand Final. 

And i only just caught Friends tackle on Inglis, i realise like Slater, his intent wasnt to hurt anyone, but i feel the consequences of Friends tackle could be deemed far greater than Slater's shoulder charge/bump.

Mind you, everyone has their own take on it, so will be interesting to see how he fairs tonight. 

They were saying of foxsports this morning that the smallest penalty for a shoulder is 200 points.  Where a spear tackle is 100 points.  And apparently 200 even with a clean record like billy still gets him a week.

So his only way out is if they say there was an arm up and therefore its not a shoulder charge.

It's going to be an interesting night.

Also the Cooper Cronk shoulder is strange.  He can't lift his arm up in the pressa but he had a tight footy jumper on at the time.

I can't even get tri suits off and there is nothing wrong with my shoulder. Cronk will 100% play in my opinion

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

Great move by the NRL, get Phil Gould to say Slater should be allowed to play.  I can't stand agreeing with that douche...

What did the NRL do?

Agree with Phil Gould is like agreeing with AP - "ironman legend".  It rarely happens and it hurts when it does.

Edited by Peter

4 hours ago, trinube said:

Napa should have got 12 weeks for the first one and 12 months for the second. 

This is the problem. Consistency. This tackle should be illegal both times. Consequence for first one was a broken jaw. Slaters shoulder charge didn’t end in serious injury only by chance. If it’s a shoulder charge it should be penalised irrespective of the perpetrator,, the game or the occasion. And Slater has anything but a clean record. Rules were changed because of his dangerous feet or knees first tryline defence, plus kicking blokes in the face fielding kicks. Grub. Gone

59 minutes ago, Parkside said:

This is the problem. Consistency. This tackle should be illegal both times. Consequence for first one was a broken jaw. Slaters shoulder charge didn’t end in serious injury only by chance. If it’s a shoulder charge it should be penalised irrespective of the perpetrator,, the game or the occasion. And Slater has anything but a clean record. Rules were changed because of his dangerous feet or knees first tryline defence, plus kicking blokes in the face fielding kicks. Grub. Gone

Worst case you'll only need to watching him play one more time.

And if the Storm win I doubt you'll see Cameron Smith ever play again either.

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

This tackle should be illegal both times. Consequence for first one was a broken jaw. 

If the NRL hadn't put their glass balls in cotton wool they would have thrown the book at him first time around - it would have been far less likely to happen again. It was almost laughable that the Roosters legal team were arguing it was a technique error which is clearly something that should be addressed by their coaching staff. They were basically saying their defensive coaches were incompetent.

As to Napa, grub of the highest order.

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

Worst case you'll only need to watching him play one more time.

And if the Storm win I doubt you'll see Cameron Smith ever play again either.

So you're saying there is an upside to a Storm win...

Billy don't be a hero, don;t be a fool with your life

Billy don't be a hero, come back and make me your wife

as Billy started to go she said "keep your pretty head low"

Billy don't be a hero come back to me 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Merv said:

It's the outcome most were expecting from the very start.

Yep you called it.