Merv

All things NRL

16 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

How good was the Newtown finish. 

If you get the chance next year, get out to Henson and watch the blue bags.  Great day out. 

what a rookie mistake by the bears by not kicking on the last into touch. they will have nightmares about that. 

5 hours ago, Prince said:

what a rookie mistake by the bears by not kicking on the last into touch. they will have nightmares about that. 

not as many as the nrl refs from last night GF...my god.

5 hours ago, Peter said:

Incredible finish. I lived in Newtown for a few years so happy for that win. 

Re the rooster Gf. The better team all season won.  Maybe not the best team on the night. 

melbourne were the better team all season, but yes, the better of the two all season that made it

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They'll be talking about that "six to go" call for a while down in Canberra.

Nothing has been said, but i don't understand the call here!

Roosters kick charged down by a haiders head..... Raiders would have won the chase to ball and probably ran away and scored, but miraculously the charge down deflect onto a roosters trainer in the background........ How did the Roosters get the scrum fee and another 6 tackles?

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Nothing has been said, but i don't understand the call here!

Roosters kick charged down by a haiders head..... Raiders would have won the chase to ball and probably ran away and scored, but miraculously the charge down deflect onto a roosters trainer in the background........ How did the Roosters get the scrum fee and another 6 tackles?

Never seen it before. Surely if the trainer impacts play at all the opposition should get the advantage 

Having watched Canterbury Cup games this season I would prefer we go to 1 or 2 refs and no bunker. They have 2 refs, no bunker and the game is far better. No staying down like soccer players milking a crusher penalty or tap on the chin and the refs just do their best and we accept it. Once the finals of that comp started they used the bunker and the games were worse off for it

An averaged national audience of 2.641 Million watched last night's 14-8 win by the Sydney Rooster's over the Canberra Raiders.

The audience for the game included a 5-City Metro audience of 1.866 Million including;

• Sydney 832k

• Melbourne 320k

• Brisbane 534k

• Adelaide 87k

• Perth 93k

Audience for the game peaked nationally at 3.250 million, including 2.217 million metro viewers.

These audience figures would be somewhat of a disappointment for Nine with the Sunday night contest rating considerably lower than last year.

The 2018 Grand Final win by the Roosters over the Melbourne Storm was watched by an average national audience of 3.033 Million (2.122 Million metro). The 2018 figure included an audience of 895k in Sydney, 551k in Melbourne, and 488k in Brisbane.

By comparison, last weekends highly one-sided AFL Grand Final in a Saturday afternoon timeslot attracted national averaged audience of 2.939 Million (2.171 million 5-City Metro). That figure was also a record low for an AFL Grand Final.

The highest rating NRL State of Origin match this year was Game One which attracted an averaged national audience of 3.2 Million (2.178 million metro).

The strongest audience for an NRL Grand Final in the past ten years was the 2014 Grand Final between South Sydney and Penrith. That match averaged a national audience 3.991 Million (2.597 Million metro).

F6303103-A2F1-49AA-AEBF-E74EF6398388.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

F6303103-A2F1-49AA-AEBF-E74EF6398388.jpeg

Would this decline have anything to do with the multiple ways you can now watch sport..... Free to air, Foxtel, Kayo, streaming on phone etc etc.

2 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Would this decline have anything to do with the multiple ways you can now watch sport..... Free to air, Foxtel, Kayo, streaming on phone etc etc.

Kayo would have to be killing it. I know of a few that would have watched on ch9 normally but watched on kayo this year.

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

I’m not sure. 

we have a ratings box in our place. The technology actually works by capturing the audio and matching it against a library. If I watch something on catch up the day after, or up to 30 days after it will still be registered as being watched. 
so whether a ratings box can determine the difference between NRL on nine Fox or Kayo I’m not sure. I’ll see if I can ask them. 
there currently is no way for them to collect “streaming only” content like game of thrones etc but I’m sure the streaming companies do their own research in that. 

9 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Good in theory but the game is only shown on ch9. 

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

Never seen it before. Surely if the trainer impacts play at all the opposition should get the advantage 

Ok I've been known as the "rule guy" at the kids footy club. Not everything has been covered in the rules, so there is a thing called "Mutual Infringement".

MUTUAL INFRINGEMENT refers to any occurrence during a match which is not already provided for in the Laws of the Game and whereby play is irregularly affected and fault cannot be attributed to either team. see Section 16 Law 8.1 (e) and (f).

Mutual Infringement 8.1(e) and (f) 

Where play is irregularly affected in the field of play, the Referee shall re-start play with a scrum with the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage) to receive the loose head and feed. The Referee is the sole judge of what constitutes a mutual infringement, and whether or not play has been irregularly affected. Contact between a defender and Referee may not constitute a mutual infringement.

When to blow whistle

8.1 The Referee must carry a whistle which he shall blow to commence and terminate each half of the game. Except for these occasions the blowing of the whistle shall temporarily stop the play. The Referee shall blow the whistle:

(a) when a try or a goal has been scored

(b) when the ball has gone out of play

(c) when re-starting play, other than at a scrum

(d) when he detects a breach of the Laws of the Game, except when to stop the play would be to the disadvantage of the non-offending team

(e) when play is irregularly affected by the ball or the player carrying the ball coming into contact with the Referee, a Touch Judge, or with any person not taking part in the match or with any object which should not normally be on the playing field

(f) when any irregularity, not provided for in these Laws, occurs and one team unjustifiably gains an advantage

(g) when a stoppage is necessary in order to enforce the Laws or for any other reason.

Yes its odd because the trainer is associated with a team, but it could be a dog, the trainer, a streaker, whatever. It's also why people have asked for it to be changed because play can be going no whwere and if you make it over halfway all you have to do is kick it in to the Ref and you get a scrum with the feed.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peter said:

The strongest audience for an NRL Grand Final in the past ten years was the 2014 Grand Final between South Sydney and Penrith. That match averaged a national audience 3.991 Million (2.597 Million metro).

Correct about the highest audience but pretty sure the Bunnies played Canterbury that year. Maybe I watched a different GF.

20 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

not as many as the nrl refs from last night GF...my god.

Just be glad it wasn't your team playing, that's a hard way to lose.

10 hours ago, nealo said:

Where play is irregularly affected in the field of play, the Referee shall re-start play with a scrum with the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage)

I've seen the summary of this in a few articles.

They either need to actually enforce the trainer rules and keep em out of general play and introduce a rule that if a trainer/club official interferes with play the other team gets a penalty/free kick.

The game is way over structured for mine. Players in all sorts of positions shit themselves when they break the line and are forced out of their sphere of expertise. 

15 minutes ago, Merv said:

The game is way over structured for mine. Players in all sorts of positions shit themselves when they break the line and are forced out of their sphere of expertise. 

Yeah, when you hear comments like  “player x doesn’t know how to play in the right side” etc makes you cringe. 

My pet peeve is watching players who can’t pass a ball from left to right. Been a “left edge” player and never learned to pass both ways. These are professionals who do this for a job at multiples of the median salary 

I wonder if WTC were running the Clive Churchill Medal selection process. 

Saved about 5 seconds before the announcement, and one very awkward moment for a Rooster.

Funny thing about the Clive Churchill is the rorters whinging about a canberra stitch up with Daley and meniga being the majority of the panel with Lockie...... yet it was lockies votes that were late that swung it from Hargreaves to whiton.... in other words the former raiders together has resulted in the chook, and when the Bronc was added in, it went to a raider.

right decision. 

And one of those weird games where the best team on the night didn’t win the game That’s rugby league, refs and all. 

Tina Turner will be back to save the game from itself . Lol

3 hours ago, trinube said:

ScoMo running the drinks and kicking tee for the PM's X111 - the people's PM

Its just amazing how good he is as PM.  Sure he made shortens chest wobble look normal with "the all new patented sco mo dolly parton chest wobble" but heh, you gotta hand it to the bloke, cant be easy running bare foot in fiji, carry water bottles, not getting hit in the head by the footy to win the game (he is afterall an eastern suburbs silver spoon boy) and running the country all at once.   

he really has stopped watching the rugby union too..... guess everyone has....lol

Bronson Xerri wasn’t using his drinking arm, he was down the ward from me getting his end of season service. 

Latrell Mitchell is now talking to Rugby Australia following 2 clubs withdrawing their offers, & NQ now signing Valentine Holmes. It looks like he got a bit too full of himself at contract renewal time. Maybe he spent a bit too long talking to Mundine.

RA must really want another League name to come & save them, like Karmichael Hunt & Israel Folau. 

• Haha 1

Mitchell wont be getting things served to him on a platter anymore like at the roosters. Other coaches may not tolerate him going missing during games either.