Merv

All things NRL

41 minutes ago, Parkside said:

I am more scared of my teenage daughters getting a train at night than I am letting them go to a football game

Yup.  That's where mine have been the most threatened in Sydney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nealo said:

I see Maguire up to his old tricks last night.

Facing 4 weeks

Wasn’t good, just bizarre with so many cameras these days.  

6 hours ago, Slowlane said:

Nope. The bloke in front of us came back twice before half time with a couple of trays of beer, 4 cups in each tray.  I know because we almost wore them each time he tried to get back into his seat. The empty cups on the grassed area after the game was unbelievable, couldn't step on any grass unless you squashed a few cups at the same time.

Are we really perceived as being that bad down here?  I must lead a sheltered life 😬 

It’s changing, but is slow.  I work with people that are not white and they simply don’t come to the Shire, not worth the hassle. I live here and as a white middle age male, I am conditioned to the place and very few will go a white bloke in a sharks jersey at or around shark park. Guess I notice it as I spend so much time outside the Shire. 

My daughter worked at Engadine maccas for three or four years, whilst she never saw sco mo disgrace himself the stories that they put up with from local grubs are just disgraceful. She had one local bogan white trash female go apeshit one night... when they reviewed the footage, her mum got up and left thirty seconds after her daughter  and did the Harry holt.  The police advise as she’s local and the courts will do stuff all, probably best leaving it. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa
  • Sad 1

On 09/08/2019 at 11:29 AM, Parkside said:

You sat in the wrong spot. Young blokes treating the area like a mosh pit and carrying on like 19 year olds on a night out on the drink. Has ever been thus. Like sitting on the Hill or D Walters stand in the early 80s and complaining of people bringing bread trays of plastic schooners back from the bar.

I am more scared of my teenage daughters getting a train at night than I am letting them go to a football game

I sat about 12 seat to the right of Sco Mo. 

On 08/08/2019 at 9:28 PM, more said:

I always laugh when I hear people talk about 'the shire', wtf are you, hobbits? 

Funny thing is that each area in Sydney is in a shire - I live in the Wollondilly Shire.

FM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flanman said:

Funny thing is that each area in Sydney is in a shire - I live in the Wollondilly Shire.

FM

A lot of them are classed as cities now aren't they? Not that many shires left.

On 07/08/2019 at 9:26 PM, Wronggenes said:

Crowd at Leichhardt on the hill last Thursday.  

As one sided as they may look living nearby and being a Cowboys fan I have been to the Tigers Cowboys game last year and this year.  Despite wearing some cowboys gear on both occasions nothing but good natured ribbing.

Picked the better half up from a Sharks game down at the shire and it was night of the living dead, people trying to get in the car etc.  

3C38285F-0E26-47F8-BAA4-E236733F7596.jpeg

Coming from the country I spent 10 years in Sydney in the 80's and lived half way between Leichardt Oval and the Balmain Leagues Club.  We actually bough an old terrace house that was owned by Harold Mathews.

My wife & I used to head down to watch quite a few of the Tigers home games.  It was in the days of Wayne Pierce, Steve Roach, Paul Sironen, Ross Conlan, Benny Ellias, Garry Jack etc, and you'd have Laurie Nichols on the sidelines in his singlet shadow boxing and revving up the crowd.  We even used to wander down on a Wednesday night to watch the midweek games.  We'd watch the full game at the ground, then walk home afterwards and watch the second half again on TV.  Good times!

It was always a great day at the footy and very family friendly.  I lost a bit of interest in it as a result of the Super League debacle, but my sons are now avid West Tigers supporters so we still get to a few games.  It's not the same as the good old days, but it's still nice to get back to Leichardt Oval to watch the occasional game... it's a pity that it is now a 10 hour round trip for us - we should have kept that house in Balmain!

How good was it watching Robbie Farah sitting on the scoreboard reminiscing and watching the sunset a few weeks ago...  that's what it's all about!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

A lot of them are classed as cities now aren't they? Not that many shires left.

All shires - they are "local government shires". They just don't use the names much. Using the name "City" is more funky than government shire.

FM

7 minutes ago, Flanman said:

All shires - they are "local government shires". They just don't use the names much. Using the name "City" is more funky than government shire.

FM

Actually, they are all "local government areas", controlled by councils, and they decide themselves whether to call themselves a shire, borough, town, regional or district council, or city, depending on whether they meet certain criteria. We went through a name change up here a few years ago and went from a shire to a regional council when a couple councils amalgamated.

18 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

canberra are getting robbed by the refs v the storm.....just woeful refereeing

Well Cammy has to approve every decision... He's got to be the most punchable bloke in sport.

1 hour ago, trinube said:

Well Cammy has to approve every decision... He's got to be the most punchable bloke in sport.

when its 13 on 13, the raiders have run through them 22 nil.  cant believe melbourne get gifted 18 points and lose.

2 hours ago, trinube said:

Yet every NRL player seams say the opposite. Most that actual play the game are starting to call him the greatest of all time.... but what would they know

They aren;t allowed to punch any more so the have to say something...

Greenturd has some explaining to do about the diamond ring Smiths wife was gifted by the NRL for his 400th game. Rancid.

4 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Greenturd has some explaining to do about the diamond ring Smiths wife was gifted by the NRL for his 400th game. Rancid.

Cam would have picked it out. The NRL is a farce.

7 minutes ago, Merv said:

Cummins is easily the worst ref in the comp. 

The refs in general are rubbish. They are overcoached and unsure of themselves. Then the bunker picks things to pieces and the stupid rules they enforce go against the flow of the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parkside said:

They aren;t allowed to punch any more so the have to say something...

i know its 400 games in the nrl but players have done 400 first grade games alreday like kurt sorenson, they dont seem to acknowledge the inconvenient truth which makes the ring look even dumber.   

12 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

i know its 400 games in the nrl but players have done 400 first grade games alreday like kurt sorenson, they dont seem to acknowledge the inconvenient truth which makes the ring look even dumber.   

Where? He played first grade in a local Auckland comp for a number of years before moving OS, but never got anything like 400 games in top grade competition. CS has played 400+ games for the one club, in what is recognised as the top competition in the World. I think that surpasses playing in a local Auckland Comp.

I'm sure there's some 45 year old hookers playing first grade in Stanthorpe that have clocked up that many games too.

And he was a bloody Kiwi to boot.

edit to add: Even with the comments above, I still think he's nearly as bad as Innis when it comes to being self righteous in front of a ref.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

7 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Where? He played first grade in a local Auckland comp for a number of years before moving OS, but never got anything like 400 games in top grade competition. CS has played 400+ games for the one club, in what is recognised as the top competition in the World. I think that surpasses playing in a local Auckland Comp.

I'm sure there's some 45 year old hookers flaying first grade in Stanthorpe that have clocked up that many games too.

And he was a bloody Kiwi to boot.

edit to add: Even with the comments above, I still think he's nearly as bad as Innis when it comes to being self righteous in front of a ref.

says it here....  and doesnt count the "a grade games".    407.    he also sat out a year to play for cronulla

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Sorensen

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Yep 407 games in NRL and English top flight. One of the hardest of a hard pack for Cronulla in the late 70's.

54 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

this too.....  fibros v silvertail

https://youtu.be/3EuU0Fw8h9A

Greg 'it's all about me' Hartley. Thank goodness we don't have any more Hollywood's, imagine having to cop that as well as how bad the decisions are.

I'm going to show my young bloke some of this - he doesn't know what toe-poking is...

Edited by trinube

Just back from Shark Park watching the derby. Once again a pleasant, uneventful late afternoon/evening. 

Most offensive happening was the pathetic Dragon Army behind us trying to kick off the most woeful attempt at active support I’ve ever heard. Singing was atrocious, songs not funny. In the end they were asked to move towards the back of the family hill as they were blocking the view of families with kids, one bloke turned it on and got marched by security. Other than that a pleasant family atmosphere

25 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Just back from Shark Park watching the derby. Once again a pleasant, uneventful late afternoon/evening. 

Most offensive happening was the pathetic Dragon Army behind us trying to kick off the most woeful attempt at active support I’ve ever heard. Singing was atrocious, songs not funny. In the end they were asked to move towards the back of the family hill as they were blocking the view of families with kids, one bloke turned it on and got marched by security. Other than that a pleasant family atmosphere

You got the rub of the green from the bunker ;)

Even Wade Graham admitted he knocked on - good on him, at least he's honest :)  Bludger of a game though...

Dire to sit through. Rubbish handling from 2 inept teams on the night. Was Moylsn injured or hooked? Hooked is fine by me, Dugan has earned his choice of positions.

re last try, I have only seen big screen and phone replays but talk is ball travels backwards from Graham to Xerri anyway.

18 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Dire to sit through. Rubbish handling from 2 inept teams on the night. Was Moylsn injured or hooked? Hooked is fine by me, Dugan has earned his choice of positions.

re last try, I have only seen big screen and phone replays but talk is ball travels backwards from Graham to Xerri anyway.

went backwards, graham is on the line, xerri behind it.... the touch was irrelevant.  very easy to see it went backwards with the chalk at his feet.

1 hour ago, Oompa Loompa said:

went backwards, graham is on the line, xerri behind it.... the touch was irrelevant.  very easy to see it went backwards with the chalk at his feet.

nah, should have been called back - knock on - but I'll read it tomorrow as a try ;)

Tough crowd are NRL supporters.

Cam Smith - First player in the NRL to reach 400 games. Not the first player to play 400 first grade games, not the first player to play 400 games in Super League, Premier League or some other game. On top of that they were all for the same club. Some kind of achievement in my eyes. Oh and including rep games he's well over 500.

The NRL acknowledged James Graham's 400th First Grade game but it doesn't get the same hullabaloo as they weren't all in the same comp (The NRL for those playing at home).

I think the Refs do a pretty dam good job for the amount of scrutiny they get. There are the rules, the rules as Referees see them, the rules as players see them, the rules as coaches see them, the rules as supporters see them, the rules as the NRL see them, the rules as their boss sees them, it goes on.

We can't even agree on the Sharks last try after we've all watched it 1000 times! (My personal point of view? TRY. How can it be a knock on when it deflects backwards?)

Not everyone's team is going to win all the time, we have to stop looking to blame someone, something, all the time.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nealo said:

Cam Smith - First player in the NRL to reach 400 games. Not the first player to play 400 first grade games, not the first player to play 400 games in Super League, Premier League or some other game. On top of that they were all for the same club. Some kind of achievement in my eyes. Oh and including rep games he's well over 500.

The NRL acknowledged James Graham's 400th First Grade game but it doesn't get the same hullabaloo as they weren't all in the same comp (The NRL for those playing at home).

I think the Refs do a pretty dam good job for the amount of scrutiny they get. There are the rules, the rules as Referees see them, the rules as players see them, the rules as coaches see them, the rules as supporters see them, the rules as the NRL see them, the rules as their boss sees them, it goes on.

We can't even agree on the Sharks last try after we've all watched it 1000 times! (My personal point of view? TRY. How can it be a knock on when it deflects backwards?)

Not everyone's team is going to win all the time, we have to stop looking to blame someone, something, all the time.

Well said.  Agree on all points.

8 hours ago, nealo said:

I think referees on field do a pretty damn good job most of the time. 

They however, in my mind, are let down by the inconsistency of both the video refs and the judiciary. 

Double movement calls look like they have been decided by a coin toss in the bunker on some occasions, spear tackle decisions are inconsistent and the Sharks last try in some games would be called a knock on simply because he lost control of the ball, or so it would seem based on some other baffling decisions from the men with 400 different angles sitting in a high tech lounge room. 

8 hours ago, nealo said:

nailed it

6 minutes ago, roxii said:

I think referees on field do a pretty damn good job most of the time. 

They however, in my mind, are let down by the inconsistency of both the video refs and the judiciary. 

Double movement calls look like they have been decided by a coin toss in the bunker on some occasions, spear tackle decisions are inconsistent and the Sharks last try in some games would be called a knock on simply because he lost control of the ball, or so it would seem based on some other baffling decisions from the men with 400 different angles sitting in a high tech lounge room. 

When a player goes to the judiciary do they just show vision if the identical tackle previously by someone else and say, they got 1 week for that and you want us to get 4? We will take 1
With video files and all the vision, you'd think this would be the go to move by the defense.

16 hours ago, Peter said:

When a player goes to the judiciary do they just show vision if the identical tackle previously by someone else and say, they got 1 week for that and you want us to get 4? We will take 1
With video files and all the vision, you'd think this would be the go to move by the defense.

You would think that, but the judiciary panel holds the right to not set precedents, unlike common law. 

For example you may remember Akuila Uate was charged with a grade one spear tackle before an origin game in 2011.  He was subsequently let off and every north of the Tweed was fuming about it.  However within that same season, a defence for another player charged with a spear tackle was told he could not use the Uate situation as defence because the NRL claimed (2 months later) that the judiciary got it wrong, Uate should have been suspended, and this case could not be used as precedent. 

In other words, it seems everything has to be case by case and no similarities are considered, more based on the players record etc.

Well thats how i have understood it over the past 10 yrs..... but no doubt im completely wrong..... but who knows with that process! :w00t2: 

The MRC/Judiciary is a lottery.  lot like a magistrates court.  Even if your guilty, turn up and give it a run.

9 hours ago, Merv said:

Sharks have the wrong Fifita.

every club in the comp has the wrong Fifita. Freak.

Do note A. Fifita had no tape on knee and cut loose after a week off last round. Hope the same one turns up tomorrow. Going to be a big day at Endeavour Field

50 minutes ago, Parkside said:

every club in the comp has the wrong Fifita. Freak.

Do note A. Fifita had no tape on knee and cut loose after a week off last round. Hope the same one turns up tomorrow. Going to be a big day at Endeavour Field

Will be interesting if its the last ever game at shark park.... two years away, paid $100k a game to play at the new sfs, few unit blocks on the field.  time will tell, certainly better then going to perth.

also te akau shark.... the tom toms tell me he will give the tramway on sept 7 at randwick a good shake, though they are saying the distance might be a bit short for him.  Its here to win the Epsom in October, so for those with bonus odd betting accounts, could do worse then put a few lazy dollars on the nose.....and as a bonus will run in the cox plate and if they jag that, will be some very very happy owners.

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Was just pondering with our youngest who works in media why TF the ref would need to go the video ref for that last Bunnies try, which was so obviously a try. I mean, WTF was possibly wrong with it?

She said because they would have a deal with KFC that they have to give them at least 4 exposures via the video ref per match.

Fark me ☹️

That Manly sin bin was the worst call I’ve seen in a long time. 

Edited by Peter

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

That Manly sin bin was the worst call I’ve seen in a long time. 

He pulled a blokes jumper! You can shoulder, you can’t grab. 

The first Souths player to be binned was worse!

A manly player can open hand a player to the head when he’s on the ground but a Souths player can’t object and open hand back.