Merv

All things NRL

Very, very funny.... slow to get going but highly enjoyable.... Todd carney 101 by two blokes that don’t know League from a bar of soap.... highly, highly  enjoyable and to make it even better, drove through Goulburn listening to it. They go through carneys entire career. 

also on Apple podcasts , now to listen to the Ben cousins one or however  the afl blokes name is spelt. 

2 hours ago, trinube said:

That was a bad one, I think any other like that would have at least gone on report if not direct to the MRC.

There are certainly some anomalies regarding injuries caused by foul play. As you point out you can belt a half or a hooker senseless and just play out the rest of the game then take a couple of weeks off to get over some niggles. Would it be too far fetched to think a coach might even encourage it for a player carrying a little injury?

As for eye gouging - should be a mandatory 12 weeks.

Fair call on the tackle...and Stuart is a idiot and clearly doesn't know RL....As the judiciary did not agree with him.

Blinding someone in one eye v quad/ paraplegic - whats worse , fascinating argument. 

In league terms, blinding in one eye is clearly a bigger issue then never walking again. 

Rugby League, making parents proud since 1908.   

On 16/07/2019 at 5:14 PM, Parkside said:

Fair enough nube, he got 3.

see plenty similar get nothing, yet you can eye gouge twice in a year and get a fine or put a playmaker in the head-bin for rest of the game and get nothing. no consistency 

This is 1 of this issue with the media reporting. They say so and so misses x weeks from the Judiciary. So for the same offence you can get widely  different weeks on the sideline due to loading etc. He was charged with the highest possible charge for a dangerous throw. Which is 500 points (ie 5 weeks). He got a 25% discount because he hasn't been to the judiciary before and a further 21 point reduction for the 21 minutes he was sent off for.   If this was JWH he would have been facing 1100 point which is 11 weeks on the sideline or 800 with the early guilty plea. 

I just don't see how Crotic's tackle was a grade 3 ie the worst possible dangeruous throw. The player puts his arm out and makes contact with the ground then landing on the back of his neck. The worst tackle is when 1 player pins the ball carries arms and a 2nd player put his hand between the legs and lifts and drives the player into the ground. Not a single momentum tackle like Crotic's. This should have been a grade 2.  

On 16/07/2019 at 11:08 AM, Parkside said:

I disagree. Unfortunate positioning and momentum looked accidental to me. Bloke was hard done by. Penalty and on report enough.

I remember in the U13s (Rugby Union) tackling a bloke front on and somehow turning him completely upside down in the air and dropping him on the top of his head, seeing his neck snap back.

Still don't quite know how I managed it, momentum I guess, but it still makes me shudder.  His Dad came running onto the field to see if he was alright, all my team-mates slapping me on the back saying great tackle, but I felt like a complete prick.  Luckily he was OK.

And my tackle did not look as bad as that one, because I did not drive/fall down with him, so my weight was not adding to the pressure on his neck.

On 17/09/2016 at 7:11 PM, Peter said:

Great game. I hope the cowboys can make it a good match next week with the Sharks.

But I'd like the Sharks to win then lose the GF.

Still backing storm or Cowboys.

Should listen to that podcast, as funny as it is, if you have daughters......

Well kids, you heard it hear first that young flanno was off to the chooks, announced today. 

Sad day for the true believers, with the club officially releasing him from the final two years of his contract.   I don’t understand and I know young flanno did not want to leave.  Weird when you can’t get a game in the first 17, with that win/ loss record.  Guess the chooks want to win a comp, whereas we want the chad.....

1 minute ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Well kids, you heard it hear first that young flanno was off to the chooks, announced today. 

Sad day for the true believers, with the club officially releasing him from the final two years of his contract.   I don’t understand and I know young flanno did not want to leave.  Weird when you can’t get a game in the first 17, with that win/ loss record.  Guess the chooks want to win a comp, whereas we want the chad.....

So Cronulla have constructively dismissed the kid by parking Chad and SJ in front of him. he rightly thinks he's NRL No 7 standard and wants a chance to play every week. Surely it makes better sense to drop one of the other 2 for 6 weeks, make them spit the dummy and walk out on their contract. On the other hand, the coach who signed SJ for 1mill a year in a position his son plays should be rubbed out of the game. Oh, hang on.......

Sharks will finish the season in 11th or 12th positon.

So when they depart "Shark park" and close the leagues club for a few years while the development is going on, will they ever come back. 

Or will they just build another apartment block where the ground is and resign the sharks to history?? 

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 9:36 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Very, very funny.... slow to get going but highly enjoyable.... Todd carney 101 by two blokes that don’t know League from a bar of soap.... highly, highly  enjoyable and to make it even better, drove through Goulburn listening to it. They go through carneys entire career. 

also on Apple podcasts , now to listen to the Ben cousins one or however  the afl blokes name is spelt. 

First heard about these guys when they went through Ben Cousins career back in 2017, listened to a few more of American and European sports tragics as well, harder to get into the international ones as i didn't know people who were referenced etc and the sports background.  But Cousins was a good listen, will look into Todd Carney now.

On 22/07/2019 at 8:44 PM, Parkside said:

So Cronulla have constructively dismissed the kid by parking Chad and SJ in front of him. he rightly thinks he's NRL No 7 standard and wants a chance to play every week. Surely it makes better sense to drop one of the other 2 for 6 weeks, make them spit the dummy and walk out on their contract. On the other hand, the coach who signed SJ for 1mill a year in a position his son plays should be rubbed out of the game. Oh, hang on.......

All I know is flanno did not want to go.  Suspect punting chad was the answer as it is alleged they shopped him before segie, but no offers from other clubs to take. All alleged of course.

Either way doesn’t matter whilst Morris is coach.

On 23/07/2019 at 2:17 PM, roxii said:

So when they depart "Shark park" and close the leagues club for a few years while the development is going on, will they ever come back. 

Or will they just build another apartment block where the ground is and resign the sharks to history?? 

The $40m will only last a bit longer then the first $20m they spent.

6 hours ago, Pencil_Towel said:

First heard about these guys when they went through Ben Cousins career back in 2017, listened to a few more of American and European sports tragics as well, harder to get into the international ones as i didn't know people who were referenced etc and the sports background.  But Cousins was a good listen, will look into Todd Carney now.

Todd is better then Ben’s, like way better.

5 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

but good to see sco mo back.

Greenberg let him know they were going to have the Sharks win tonight.

• Like 1

Sco mo damages his hand pounding the esky during the team song.  Probably his wanking hand.

1 hour ago, Merv said:

Sco mo damages his hand pounding the esky during the team song.  Probably his wanking hand.

White collar worker actually doing something,  bound to injure himself.    

Gee’s Pongia getting sun binned was a disgrace, going for the ball, and somehow charged with a shoulder charge.... guess rugby league doesn’t want to admit head knocks occur when people hit the ground.  Totally ruined a very competitive game. 

Think there is one photo frame of the impact where it looks dodgy and if you watch the preceding and post it is fairly clear there is no way that was a shoulder charge.  

Admire Pearce for not walking them off the park.  Referees should not decide the game, yeah, it’s nice for Benji to be gifted a win on 300 games but the game deserves better. The viewer at home deserves better. People switching of league isn’t just because of the over representation of thugs and sex offenders playing but the product on offer. 

Edited by Oompa Loompa

Yeah, it was lame. They Re looking for fault when its not there.  Starting to get as bad as TMO in rugby.

Good day at Newtown today, was better than shark park last thursday night. 

Absolute community feel with thousands in attendance. 

Asked Flanno and his mrs when he was coming back to save the Sharks, he just laughed.  Kyle Flanno ran riot and can see why the chooks have signed him to win a comp as opposed releasing him to lose one. 

And Albo in his jets jumper, suggest that means at some point morrison will trade the suit for a jersey....lol

Storm vs Manly one of the games of the season.  Somehow thes arm wrestle games are becoming few and far between.

Peter Kelly and me at the Dogs game tonight. 

FM

708A65D4-6E1B-4CE2-BECC-92B816DE6DA5.jpeg

Edited by Flanman

This ones for you Parky and Oompa  

FM

6E1A9F2F-512D-479A-90FA-21F59BFDBF33.jpeg

Edited by Flanman
  • Thanks 2

Really good interview with Luke Lewis and Jason Ryles on the radio on Sunday taking about retrement.  Changed my thinking on the topic.  They touched on how oblivious they were to the real world etc

How good were the Sharks smashing Souths.  How good does the Chad go when no pressure is  on, even kicks field goals.  Wade Graham was on fire and Duges was off the page, awesome. 

I made the trip up with my eldest , had a surf went to the footy to watch early games one of the players ,number 20 gave us grandstand tickets at the gate !

so free entry and a win !

Didnt sit in the grandstand though opted for the hill and the bloody burrow set up camp next to us ..

gezzus all teams have their weirdo fans but Jesus Christ!!!

That burrow is next level farrking inbred I swear to god I only counted 3 teeth amongst them 

and couldn’t understand 90% of their vocabulary. 😂😂

13 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

That burrow is next level farrking inbred I swear to god I only counted 3 teeth amongst them 

GOOO WABBITTTSSSS

21 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I made the trip up with my eldest , had a surf went to the footy to watch early games one of the players ,number 20 gave us grandstand tickets at the gate !

so free entry and a win !

Didnt sit in the grandstand though opted for the hill and the bloody burrow set up camp next to us ..

I have been going to games all my life, Mum and Dad were die hards for their respective teams so I was dragged along from a very young age. This was the first time I have been to Shark Park and it will be the last. I have never experienced such a mob of bogun drunken threatening yobos in my entire life.  There is a reason that not many away fans or kids go to that ground, it has a bad reputation as having a drunken mob mentality and now I can see why.  The behaviour of the Sharks fans was absolutely disgusting, I'd hate to see how they behaved if they had lost.  I have since spoken to two friends who are Sharks members and both said they will not take their kids down there anymore.  I'll admit I am a Bunnies supporter but our fans had more class in defeat than the Sharks fans had in victory.

I used to think that the Cronulla riots were mostly caused by people that came from outside the area but now I know different. I have never been so embarrassed to be a Shire resident as I am right now after Sat night.

Edited by Slowlane

It's the NRL crowd in general that is feral, doesnt matter which ground you go to. Heaps of people don't want to associate with drunken bogans, so they watch it on television. 

1 hour ago, Merv said:

It's the NRL crowd in general that is feral, doesnt matter which ground you go to. Heaps of people don't want to associate with drunken bogans, so they watch it on television. 

Not true. Some games have an element of unruly behaviour but they are usually dealt with quickly by the police. Most games the crowds are pretty well behaved. This was a mass mentality that I have never seen at an NRL  game.  

On Sunday I was still so upset that I posted on a forum and asked what other people experienced at this ground thinking I might be over reacting. This responses were incredible with one man who is a Sharks fan saying he wont take his boys to that ground anymore. Another lady said she was in the alcohol free zone yet there was a woman who was a Sharks supporter with 6 kids, no shoes or jumpers on any of them and she had a beer in each hand. 

I had no idea this ground had such a bad reputation.

Haha ya probably right but I reckon most grounds would have that element pending where you sit . I’ve only been to two games in two years now and haven’t seen anything out of the normal .at those two .I went to the local game here last week and I was embarrassed to here some of the local boys yelling out the c bomb .

But at the end of the day I guess I don’t let it bother my square meter .

As for the riots they were blowins causing the trouble they came from Menai loftus and Braden ridge I heard 😉

And don’t worry the burrow are getting some teeth unfortunately my youngest has turned 😁

EEC36175-C417-4775-8A1E-026B0C1BA1D3.jpeg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Slowlane said:

The behaviour of the Sharks fans was absolutely disgusting, 

The behaviour of parents at Shire Junior Rugby League is disgusting. As a parent of a ref in the local area who is almost 17, I still loiter while he refs all the while biting my tongue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nealo said:

The behaviour of parents at Shire Junior Rugby League is disgusting. As a parent of a ref in the local area who is almost 17, I still loiter while he refs all the while biting my tongue.

A friend of mine is the mother of the ref who was punched a couple of years ago at Engadine, can't people control themselves? A few years earlier he had been diagnosed and treated for a brain tumour. 

• Sad 1

Yep you should see some of the muppets down here that my boy plays against and the parents!

thats why I always try to talk him out of playing and surf more 

No. I go to plenty of Sydney matches and don't see this. Seems to be a culture thing at Shark Park and the club obviously does nothing to stop it.  I have been to Jubilee which is in the next suburbs lot for NRL and Soccer and have never experienced it there.  The general consensus from people I have spoken to is that most of it is alcohol related. Certainly true for the 5 that sat in front of me. They were already half tanked when they got there but managed to come back from the bar with more beer 3 times before half time. Where is the RSA at this ground.?

7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Is this change in behavior at Sydney matches due to a change in the racial mix of players & spectators at said matches?

Lol, no it’s just the crowd league attacks and as more people follow alternative options, the crowds get worse. 

On top of this, the Shire is very very insular and racism is rife compared to other parts of Sydney I visit.  North of the Harbour is probably worse but less noticeable  due to where immigration landed in Sydney. 

On 06/08/2019 at 8:25 PM, Slowlane said:

Not true. Some games have an element of unruly behaviour but they are usually dealt with quickly by the police. Most games the crowds are pretty well behaved. This was a mass mentality that I have never seen at an NRL  game.  

On Sunday I was still so upset that I posted on a forum and asked what other people experienced at this ground thinking I might be over reacting. This responses were incredible with one man who is a Sharks fan saying he wont take his boys to that ground anymore. Another lady said she was in the alcohol free zone yet there was a woman who was a Sharks supporter with 6 kids, no shoes or jumpers on any of them and she had a beer in each hand. 

I had no idea this ground had such a bad reputation.

Does it really have a bad reputation or just isolated anecdotal reports od dumb peole behaving dumb. If there was a systemic crowd problem at Cronulla the Telegraph would be baying for relocation. The number of kids running onto the field after the second hooter suggests there are still many parents happy to taje their kids along.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience. Not denying there is alcohol fuelled mugs at Shark Park. Did you alert security thet they were "threatening", or the cops?  As old school mentions, there are spots (the traditional Mug Hill outside the summertime bar - NE corner or the corresponding bit at the S/E end of the main stand) which are GA spots in close proximity to bars where I wouldn't take my kids. I have a non-reserved GA membership and usually sit at Northern end, around family hill and have never seen any alcohol fuelled problems. usually well mannered family groups including opposition supporters all getting along well.

Crowd at Leichhardt on the hill last Thursday.  

As one sided as they may look living nearby and being a Cowboys fan I have been to the Tigers Cowboys game last year and this year.  Despite wearing some cowboys gear on both occasions nothing but good natured ribbing.

Picked the better half up from a Sharks game down at the shire and it was night of the living dead, people trying to get in the car etc.  

3C38285F-0E26-47F8-BAA4-E236733F7596.jpeg

• Like 1

Shark Park probably pales into insignificance compared to a RL match out here when the Moree Boomerang supporters lose the plot.  The team was banned from the comp for years.

A bit similar to what I saw on telly last night when the Islanders decided to have an all-in at an Under 9's footy match FFS. Hence my question has the racial mix changed at Sharks matches?

I played junior RL and RU from the age of 5 and never saw spectators misbehaving one bit, let alone running onto the field swinging at each other the dumb fcuks.

16 hours ago, Parkside said:

Does it really have a bad reputation or just isolated anecdotal reports od dumb peole behaving dumb. If there was a systemic crowd problem at Cronulla the Telegraph would be baying for relocation. The number of kids running onto the field after the second hooter suggests there are still many parents happy to taje their kids along.

Sorry you've had such a bad experience. Not denying there is alcohol fuelled mugs at Shark Park. Did you alert security thet they were "threatening", or the cops?  As old school mentions, there are spots (the traditional Mug Hill outside the summertime bar - NE corner or the corresponding bit at the S/E end of the main stand) which are GA spots in close proximity to bars where I wouldn't take my kids. I have a non-reserved GA membership and usually sit at Northern end, around family hill and have never seen any alcohol fuelled problems. usually well mannered family groups including opposition supporters all getting along well.

Yes it has a terrible reputation from what I am now finding out. Even the bloke across the road who has been a Sharks supporter all his life told me yesterday he won't go to the games there and said he definitely wouldn't take his kids. Some of the comments online even by Sharks fans, have been an eye opener.  I'm sure there are sections that are great to sit in but the overall impression from people is that it is a hostile environment and not one they would either go back to or take their kids.  Didn't see any kids running onto the field afterwards,  just a mass exodus and luckily we took the side that didn't have the 'guard of honour' from the drunks that were harassing opposition supporters as they left.

We didn't call security because we thought that might make it worse but we did move seats right up the back in another section and it was better.  

2 hours ago, roxii said:

I blame SCOMO!

Easy to blame scomo, I know, but i think the issue is pre the eastern suburbs rah rah blow in.   

shark park is now down to two plastic cup beers at the bars im fairly sure and they shut them at half time, could be wrong as i mainly sit in corporate.    inside the leagues club after the game, row of police, like about 10 as you enter the club with lots of security walking around and outing people for blinking.   again, can only get two drinks at the bar.   licencing police have really gone to extremes to control the behaviour.   

was at henson the other week 4 can limit, stuff all police, double a sharks home ground crowd.

rascist nature of the shire doesnt help either as most other teams come from parts of sydney/ nsw/ australia that are way more multicultural by default.  yeah, yeah, white shire people are never racist, let alone on the drink....lol

doesnt mater anyway, we are leaving home for two years 

9 hours ago, more said:

I always laugh when I hear people talk about 'the shire', wtf are you, hobbits? 

My sister lives in the shire. She claims to be the only person and hubby that weren’t related before they got married. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

shark park is now down to two plastic cup beers at the bars im fairly sure and they shut them at half time, could be wrong as i mainly sit in corporate. 

Nope. The bloke in front of us came back twice before half time with a couple of trays of beer, 4 cups in each tray.  I know because we almost wore them each time he tried to get back into his seat. The empty cups on the grassed area after the game was unbelievable, couldn't step on any grass unless you squashed a few cups at the same time.

Are we really perceived as being that bad down here?  I must lead a sheltered life 😬 

43 minutes ago, Slowlane said:

Nope. The bloke in front of us came back twice before half time with a couple of trays of beer, 4 cups in each tray.  I know because we almost wore them each time he tried to get back into his seat. The empty cups on the grassed area after the game was unbelievable, couldn't step on any grass unless you squashed a few cups at the same time.

Are we really perceived as being that bad down here?  I must lead a sheltered life 😬 

You sat in the wrong spot. Young blokes treating the area like a mosh pit and carrying on like 19 year olds on a night out on the drink. Has ever been thus. Like sitting on the Hill or D Walters stand in the early 80s and complaining of people bringing bread trays of plastic schooners back from the bar.

I am more scared of my teenage daughters getting a train at night than I am letting them go to a football game