Merv

All things NRL

All those footballers in town for the weekend, surely there will be an arrest somewhere ?

17 minutes ago, Merv said:

All those footballers in town for the weekend, surely there will be an arrest somewhere ?

yep. lock your daughters up

Jimmy the jet, short priced favourite. Dropped from firsts

Visionary stuff by the NRL. Let's take an entire round to a backwater town that really needs a leg up and suffers from lack of funding from the governing body, state and federal governments and struggles for publicity. 

I can see a magic round in the future coming to Sydney.

Specifically to the new home of the Mighty Parramatta Eels, Bankwest Stadium.

I see the Broncos are playing an away game at Suncorp stadium this week...

🤔

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, nealo said:

I can see a magic round in the future coming to Sydney. Specifically to the new home of the Mighty Parramatta Eels, Bankwest Stadium.

:sick:  At least it will draw a crowd. I'm just not sure how many Brisbane folk are going to turn up to see anyone but the broncos. Mind you, the way the broncos are travelling...

Maybe Todd's just been given a nice place in Brisbane and had to justify going up there.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

I see the Broncos are playing an away game at Suncorp stadium this week...

🤔

I think they have had an arangement with manly for the last couple of seasons .

6 hours ago, Parkside said:

Visionary stuff by the NRL. Let's take an entire round to a backwater town that really needs a leg up and suffers from lack of funding from the governing body, state and federal governments and struggles for publicity. 

Didn’t they copy it from the uk superleague?

4 hours ago, trinube said:

:sick:  At least it will draw a crowd. I'm just not sure how many Brisbane folk are going to turn up to see anyone but the broncos. Mind you, the way the broncos are travelling...

Maybe Todd's just been given a nice place in Brisbane and had to justify going up there.

Please they don’t get crowds in nrl. 

Live seen bigger crowds in a pub. 

5 hours ago, trinube said:

People would be surprised with the amount of following the foundation clubs have in SEQ.  

Whats the actual point of the magic round ? Just to take a home game of a few clubs ?  Play rugby league in Brisbane at a time other than Friday night ?

Seriously, what is it for ?

What's the bet there's one in Melbourne next year?

I suppose we'll know after we see whether this weekend works.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What's the bet there's one in Melbourne next year?

I suppose we'll know after we see whether this weekend works.

I just dont see the point.  will be interesting the crowds compared to what they would got for average home grounds.  

2 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I just dont see the point.  will be interesting the crowds compared to what they would got for average home grounds.  

They got about 105K this round. There will be 4 attendances next round. There won't be many on Thursday night, but Friday will be a big one. Not a lot of followers for the first game, but the Broncos Manly would normally pull a good crowd. Saturday will get a few because it's 3 games and Melbourne has a bit of a following here (kind of love/hate), and Sunday should be good as well with 2 games, one of which is Townsville.

I'm tipping bigger attendances this coming round than last round.

5 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

They got about 105K this round. There will be 4 attendances next round. There won't be many on Thursday night, but Friday will be a big one. Not a lot of followers for the first game, but the Broncos Manly would normally pull a good crowd. Saturday will get a few because it's 3 games and Melbourne has a bit of a following here (kind of love/hate), and Sunday should be good as well with 2 games, one of which is Townsville.

I'm tipping bigger attendances this coming round than last round.

one of the blokes at work is flying up with his mates, they use to go to the auckland nines and they are now doing this.  hope it works for league, they need some oomph...

7 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Agree. Tipping the nrl thinks the same

I have a friend who works in the travel industry. Her organization got given 600 free tickets and they dont 'even sponsor the code.. If they are struggling to put bums on seats, why not give some to local junior clubs.

On 07/05/2019 at 10:10 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

7,500 at the Sharks home game last week, 17,100 at Lang Park last night. So far so good.

5 hours ago, Parkside said:

I take it back, visionary concept. ****ing Magic 

Bet you weren't thinking that at half time.

I'd say a "sellout" tonight.

I put it in inverted commas because a lot of the tickets won't have been "sold" but given out to the various affiliated companies. We are a major sponsor, and I was offered tickets. Pity I couldn't go. It would have been a good night with 2 games.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I'd say a "sellout" tonight.

I put it in inverted commas because a lot of the tickets won't have been "sold" but given out to the various affiliated companies. We are a major sponsor, and I was offered tickets. Pity I couldn't go. It would have been a good night with 2 games.

They were just saying on the radio that tonight sold on yesterday officially. 

ASDA been going pretty hard apparently.  

it really is magic, the sharks won, gal scored a try to win, kicked a conversion, and st merge jumped from the blocks to be humiliated. 

magic everywhere.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Souths getting a nice double standard from their good mates Greenburg and Beattie on the GI salary cap

tough game, Justin O'neill received a ruptured spleen in Cowboys vs Raiders game

Isn’t Greg Inglis a turd. Every time his stuffs up they pull out the depression card. I think that card is expired, so let’s throw him in rehab.

Heres a thought..... how about he learn to take responsibility and stand up.

2 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Back when shit was real....

BombalaReserveGradePremiers.jpg

I love the guy 2nd from the left in the front row. Couldn't even put his smoke down for the photo.

Effective way to assimilate prisoners back into the community. 

8 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I love the guy 2nd from the left in the front row. Couldn't even put his smoke down for the photo.

Good ole Poteye!

2 hours ago, Merv said:

Effective way to assimilate prisoners back into the community. 

😁

So state of origin levels up and the banter continues.one game to go I’m not confident of the win Qld are to bloody good to put out a performance like that again.

But you qld people seriously what is your thoughts on McGuire he dead set needs to be sat on his arse. And not just because of last night but for the last 5 years 

And on our side Ferguson just shits me to death ! 

On 21/06/2019 at 9:28 AM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

With a name like Poteye, what would you expect?! 🤟

1 hour ago, oldschool69#2 said:

So state of origin levels up and the banter continues.one game to go I’m not confident of the win Qld are to bloody good to put out a performance like that again.

But you qld people seriously what is your thoughts on McGuire he dead set needs to be sat on his arse. And not just because of last night but for the last 5 years 

Biggest grub in the game for a long long time. Can’t get suspended for multiple eye gouges

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Biggest grub in the game for a long long time. Can’t get suspended for multiple eye gouges

I can think of a few others on a par but yeah, he's up there.

3 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Biggest grub in the game for a long long time. 

3rd biggest, but the biggest has recently retired from SoO & the next has retired from the game.

8 hours ago, Parkside said:

Smith and?

Image result for michael ennis grub

But then I think Josh is more of a Gallen. He plays hard & sometimes dirty, but he doesn't pull the self righteous act like these 2

Unless of course you mention Peptides.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

5 minutes ago, oldschool69#2 said:

I’m a sharkies man

cab definitely see Gallen in the same line 

But Ennis not so much grubby but more your serial PEST 

I see a "grub" as the type of person that forever keeps niggling and breaking the rules when they aren't being watched, and complaining non-stop about other players, then get all self-righteous when they are caught. Ennis would have to be the greatest ever exponent of that.

On 24/06/2019 at 8:20 PM, oldschool69#2 said:

I watched it, but didn’t really see what he did. Anyone care to elaborate. 

Maloney on ground after final hooter and Maguire hit him in head with a late swinging arm. Never replayed during live coverage as the game was over, was obvious something had happened. The bloke must have nudes of Greenturd, he gets away with murder.

21 minutes ago, Parkside said:

Maloney on ground after final hooter and Maguire hit him in head with a late swinging arm. Never replayed during live coverage as the game was over, was obvious something had happened. The bloke must have nudes of Greenturd, he gets away with murder.

What do you mean "gets away with murder" though?

He was charged & fined, but unless the video shows a clear gouge (and the review committee were adamant it only showed a "facial") or the other player complains, which they didn't, then it will always just be a low grade charge.

And he is likely to get suspended for the shot on Maloney Sunday night. 

Hair pulling, eye gouging, late high hits after full time. No media hue and cry.

If it was Gallen, Fifita or even Matt Lodge they'd be playing in England, rubbed out of the game by the outcry. Paul Kent would have paid for their airfare out of the country.

I reckon Hunts boot throw in game one was one of the lowest acts of sportmanship I've seen in years.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

I reckon Hunts boot throw in game one was one of the lowest acts of sportmanship I've seen in years.  

Check Maloney's record. I recall him being caught twice in a month a few years back.

9 hours ago, Parkside said:

A bit of an exaggeration IMO. It was a little before the hooter, NSW were trying to keep the ball alive on the 6th tackle. Maguire was committed.... (maybe 50/50 to being late) to hit Maloney who just passed the ball and was low to the ground. He flew across the top of Maloney and hardly grazed him. In full view of the ref who like me didn’t think there was much in it. 

The give away was Maloney imeadiatly pushes himself up to watch his team play out the last tackle before dropping back down to the ground hoping for a penalty. 

Check it out on the Fox Sports FB page 👍