Merv

All things NRL

The number of Sharks number plates which have appeared around Armidale is incredible.

People finally have something to crow about!

I have this feeling that the Sharks have switched from being small game winners - big game chokers, to the opposite.  I hope so anyway, as their recent form has been pretty dismal.

Mind you, the bunker did screw up the NRL try of the decade last weekend Sharks v Canberra with that obstruction ruling on a Sharks player.  Freddy Fitler said he was so incensed with such an entertaining try being negated by a crap decision he hurled his sons Leggo creation at the wall :lol:

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

you don't have to be Einstein to figure out how the sharks will play this

bash the phuck out of milford, nikorima and hunt

On ‎6‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, nealo said:

The GF was the best atmosphere this Parra supporter living in the Shire has ever been been part of. Memory's with my son that will live with me forever.

Jeez mate.  I know catching up with me is always a special occasion, but that sounds a little OTT  :P

On 10 August 2017 at 6:02 PM, Merv said:

you don't have to be Einstein to figure out how the sharks will play this

bash the phuck out of milford, nikorima and hunt

Really....is that how it played........ Clearly no Einsteins in that team!

Edited by IronmanFoz

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Really....is that how it played........ Clearly no Einsteins in that team!

No-one that seemed to want to win either. That was one of the worst performances they've given in quite a while. Broncos didn't play well, yet won easily.

Rained for the entire roosters v storm game tonight. Sold out game. 

Nsw supporters are just soft in poor weather. 

IMG_0727.PNG

Rugby players are such shit goal kickers!

The Wallabies could recruit any NRL kicker, and even if he was pretty crap at Rugby he'd be worth at least another 10pts per match!

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Rugby players are such shit goal kickers!

The Wallabies could recruit any NRL kicker, and even if he was pretty crap at Rugby he'd be worth at least another 10pts per match!

Union is a farking dumb game. 

And the aussies are so shit at it. Every time they get the ball they kick it back. 

To win in ball sports you need the ball. But not our union guys. Lets kick it back to NZ. 

Nz didn't kick it. They ran with it. 

Then we can't scrum or catch the farkin ball in kickoffs. 

Union is so shit. Not like it used to be. 

And to top off a bad night of footy, the Sharks get pipped by a penalty goal in the last minute.

At least Gallen was honest in the press conference - said he'd have tried to milk that penalty too :lol:

Great to see the sharks lose after the way they tried to cheat. 

Parra will still destroy cowboys next week. 

On 10/09/2017 at 7:19 PM, Peter said:

Great to see the sharks lose after the way they tried to cheat. 

Parra will still destroy cowboys next week. 

couldn't afford to rort the salary cap systematically to 2 premierships.

Don't worry about those Sharky knockers Parky.  We know they don't have what it takes to stick with it 50yrs for a premiership.  Takes special fans to hang in there that long.  They're just killjoys :wink3:.  I'm hoping Para go all the way now.  Be good to see the Storm lose 2 premierships in a row, though still not a patch on what we had to endure in 1978.

Gee's Cronulla were crap, 34 missed tackles, 17 errors....... wtf did fifita do at the end when they were settting for field goal and decides to run to the sideline and throw a forward pass to a cowboy......  wins us a comp last year, throws it away this year, guess thats sport.

At least we finally got a 50/50 from the bunker.  

34 missed tackles - fark me thats bad in a semi final against a b grade cowboys team. 

15 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Gee's Cronulla were crap, 34 missed tackles, 17 errors....... wtf did fifita do at the end when they were settting for field goal and decides to run to the sideline and throw a forward pass to a cowboy......  wins us a comp last year, throws it away this year, guess thats sport.

34 missed tackles - fark me thats bad in a semi final against a b grade cowboys team. 

Lol I texted the same thing to our daughter re Fifita.  He blew it, but can't whinge as he secured us our only premiership last year.

Both teams had a mistakathon, but the Sharks made some of theirs at the worst possible times.  The Storm would have beaten both of them by 50+ on those performances.

Flanagan is $30K poorer after pointing out 10 reffing mistakes against the Sharks.  I reckon there were a few crucial ones that the Cowboys suffered from too.

lol..... the season went the week played the raiders in retrospect, 8 nil up, lose 34 -8, high 5 each other after that. culturally its just crap. i know its a job but just a little bit of passion would be good.  guess its hard to get back up after the highs of last year. the old man recruitment strategy is hurting us too.   Gal, I know single actions dont lose games, but critical stuff up on sunday and almost the same thing against the chooks a few weeks back.  he is a great player, great servant but he is human too. ennis controlled gal, cant measure ennis's loss this year, lost that flexibility both side of the ruck to an extent and also brought some predicability back in with throwing to gal everytime he calls for it, good for his meters gained stats though...lol

good laugh in the herald today...... 

--------

Enough with moaning, beaten coaches

Peter FitzSimons

Published: September 13 2017 - 5:06PM

The most tedious thing in sport?

There are so many contenders it looks like the slack pack up the back of a City to Surf. Look at them dawdling there, in their uniform greyness, as they prepare to torpor their way to the tunnel, dull their way to Double Bay, bore their way to Bondi. These contenders, include commentators uttering cliches like, "that was not the start they were looking for,"; players blowing kisses to their gods after they do something on the field; journos giving breathless accounts of "secret meetings", which come complete with photos. And let's not forget a dull rugby match, which turns on both sides manoeuvring for penalties; meaningless revenue-driven, one-day matches for the Australian cricket team in India that no one will remember in a week, and the Auckland Warriors, just generally.

But the winner for MOST boring?

I know it, and you know it.

It has to be the ubiquitous, the endless, the ever-present, post-match press conference, whereby, on cue, the losing coach mutters dark epithets that all boil down to one thing: "We wuz robbed, and it was the ref wot done it."

Is there a more predictable utterance in the history of the world, that is less likely to actually point to a genuine injustice?

I say, no.

I say, bring it in tight, you bozos, you inveterate criticisers of the referees, you endless whingers. There is something you need to be told, and I am just the man to tell you: SHUT THE RUCK UP! No one cares, OK?

You lost. Deal with it, cop it on the chin, do whatever you have to do, but don't carry on in so tedious a manner, and ...

And what?

You think, in this instance, you actually have a genuine right to grievance because in this particular case, their winger really did put his foot out/knock the ball on/ score from an offside position/ fail to ground the ball?

You want us to look closely, because it demonstrates beyond all doubt that the ref is an incompetent git at best, corrupt at worst, and either way part of a conspiracy backed by those in the bunker and an entire organisation to deny you and yours the victory you so richly deserved, after an entire season of such hard work?

I will look at it, but on one condition only:

That is, that you have a demonstrable track record of also criticising the referees when the decision favours you.

Oh, come on. This is football. And ever since Christ played fullback for Jerusalem, and Pontius Pilate awarded a try to Damascus when everyone reckoned that Moses put his foot over the line, there have been decisions that could have gone either way. But read the Bethlehem Times. It's over. It's in the paper. Moses did score that try, and Damascus did win. And it has been that way ever since. You know it and I know it. We all know it. Line-ball decisions are taken all the time by the whistleblowers and, yes, it stands to reason that they will even occasionally get some of their decisions wrong.

And so I ask again.

When was the last time, coach, that you frothed at the mouth, carried on like a pork chop, and galloped around on your moral high horse, bashing the referees, the bunker and the entire organising body of the sport ... when a wrong decision in question favoured you?

You what? You can't give an example of you even conceding that a wrong decision went your way, let alone getting angry about it?

Well, how the hell can you muster such moral outrage now? You are asking us to believe that a man as expert as you, in a game that delivers as many contentious decisions as yours, never saw decisions favour you? Bullshit, and you know it. But you said nothing, then? Exactly.

So spare us your frothing outrage now. You have no right to it. You may respectfully note that you think the ref might have got the decision wrong on this occasion, but that's it. Anything else is craven hypocrisy of the highest order.

What is worse, it is TEDIOUS.

This story was found at: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/fitzsimons-column-enough-with-whinging-beaten-coaches-20170913-gygpvr.html

Gallen actually exceeded expectations this year i thought. Can't remember him ever stringing so many consecutive games. Despite what people think of Ben Barba, he was a huge loss .

5 minutes ago, Merv said:

Gallen actually exceeded expectations this year i thought. Can't remember him ever stringing so many consecutive games. Despite what people think of Ben Barba, he was a huge loss .

Barba was only effective running of ennis, wether at the dogs or us.... so yes, was a huge loss in my book but wouldnt have been as effective without ennis

On ‎12‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Oompa Loompa said:

Oh well.  There's always last year...

1 hour ago, Merv said:

titans/warriors are going to be copping shit for decades :lol:

Welcome to our world.  Suck it up you pussies.  Or just jump teams like most fair-weather Manly supporters have ;)

11 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

and two years ago, next year.

Nek minnit it'll be like Parra, there'll always be 1986 2016:lol:

• Haha 1

So many elements to building a strong team culture. Could be business. sport. anything.  A respected leader, who has the support of the experienced operators snd a good front office are the key.

Well fark me, the Cowboys looked like a new team tonight!

Which leaves the shithouse decision, who to follow from here? - 2 Qld teams, bloody Melbourne, and a leftie Chardonnay quaffing Sydney team.

Time to start following Curling perhaps?

• Haha 1

Got to admire the Cowboys fight, I'm on them even though I don't rate their chances. If they get there they'll have done it the hardest way possible.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Well fark me, the Cowboys looked like a new team tonight!

Which leaves the shithouse decision, who to follow from here? - 2 Qld teams, bloody Melbourne, and a leftie Chardonnay quaffing Sydney team.

Time to start following Curling perhaps?

I actually slept through the entire game tonight. Can't bring myself to watch from here I don't think.

I've got no interest now but I was hoping for an eel win until about 10min in then I thought fark it go cowgirls... so if I was in a torture chamber and had to choose it would be cowgirls to win then broncos then the paper bag latte sipping wankers then Melbourne and if Melbourne win I hope they get stripped again for being 6mil over the cap and smith gets sent of for chicken wing and slayer gets done for being a grub and using speed to disguise it....lol

Fl;anno is on board now with the true believers, good to see he has manned up. 

"And in 2017, we were nowhere near the standard required to be challenging for this year's premiership.  

In the end, that's what cruelled us against the Cowboys.  

Our discipline and errors - particularly in possession - wasn't good enough and in the biggest game of the season, we were found wanting.  

We all know what happened after the loss to the Cowboys. In the post-match press conference, I was asked about the performance of the match officials.  

As it stands, our Club has been hit with a $30,000 breach notice for my response.  

I owe you an apology. I owe the game an apology. I'm sorry for the way I reacted.  "

http://www.sharks.com.au/news/2017/09/18/a_letter_from_shane_.html

Cowboys shouldn't get too carried away, parra were bad on the night and a reserve grade side could have rolled them.

been a cowboys fan since day 1 of their existence, and Id love to see them going on beyond the roosters this week.....however i think honestly the boys will be celebrating mad Monday instead of grand final prepping.  I hope im wrong.

45 minutes ago, KieranR said:

and Id love to see them going on beyond the roosters this week.

You and every other team supporter other than Roosters fans

Biggest issue with the nrl is the crap draw and the two qld teams getting an extra three days of into the semi finals.  All teams should play the last round on the same day so no disadvantage, let alone the two qld teams playing Thursday and the Sydney teams on Sunday arvo. 

Guess it helps channel 9 into qld giving them a bigger rest and recovery so more chance of winning, but other than that, can't think of any reasons why they wouldn't make it fair for all clubs. 

37 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Biggest issue with the nrl is the crap draw and the two qld teams getting an extra three days of into the semi finals.  All teams should play the last round on the same day so no disadvantage, let alone the two qld teams playing Thursday and the Sydney teams on Sunday arvo. 

Guess it helps channel 9 into qld giving them a bigger rest and recovery so more chance of winning, but other than that, can't think of any reasons why they wouldn't make it fair for all clubs. 

But then they should all play the same team, cause is it fair that NQ plays the 2nd top team just before the finals, and Sharks have an easy day against one of the bottom ones. Maybe everyone should have the last week off.

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But then they should all play the same team, cause is it fair that NQ plays the 2nd top team just before the finals, and Sharks have an easy day against one of the bottom ones. Maybe everyone should have the last week off.

week off would be good, get the players as fit as possible for the supporter. 

could put some sh!ts and giggles on from the bottom 8 teams for the supporters as well so there is something to watch

I reckon to make it fair, Sydney teams should have to check in and do a 3 hour joy flight before every game, then get a bus to the match from a hotel room. If the NRL can't afford it, maybe bus them up to Long Jetty pub and back.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

North Queensland could have been the 2nd placed team if they won more games. Stop being silly. No weeks off. Play them all same time and day EPL style.

• Like 1