Sign in to follow this  
nrmoz

TA STATEMENT ON NSW SITUATION

Following is a letter from TA to the triathlon community.

Be aware you are all stakeholders in this sport...

Cheers

Nick Munting

=====================

Dear Board and Stakeholder,

As you are may be aware a very recent decision by NSW State Government that insists that any road bicycling event or event that has as part of the event cycling on the road, must be conducted under "sterile" roads, has the potential to destroy our sport in NSW and if extended to other states in this country.

The ruling would require any Triathlon or Duathlon event conducted on roads in NSW to ensure no vehicle access at all during the course of the event (total road closure). The cost and practicality of such a ruling is ridiculous and appears not to have considered how our events are staged and managed, nor the wider consequences of the ruling eg; participation in sport, health and wellbeing of the community, livelihood of event directors and clubs, commercial benefits to regional communities that stage events etc.

It is important to note that to date we (TA) have not received any official notice or wording on this ruling rather the information has come from police representatives, therefore before a broader call to action is made we must first clearly establish the facts.

TA has to date, been in contact with our legal counsel, updated the Australian Sports Commission and been dealing with Cycling Australia and Cycling NSW via Ken Bonham. Ken Bonhman as President of TNSW has also done a substantial amount of work with the previous Minister for Sport Gabrielle Harrison which has be critical in establishing a meeting with the NSW Minister of Police John Watkins.

Triathlon Australia, Triathlon NSW, Cycling Australia, and Cycling NSW as well as other key stakeholders (Ken Baggs, NSW Race Director) will be attending the meeting with the Minister on Monday the 30th of June. The intent of the meeting is to clarify exactly what the ruling is and the Government position on the ruling. It is from this point we will then need to establish our next course of action.

TA is committed to ensure that the sport is able to conduct races in a safe and fair environment in all states of Australia. We ask were possible you advise your members and stakeholders of the situation. TA will keep you posted as to the outcome of the meeting on Monday and the what actions we believe the sport may need to take.

In summary, We have a very serious threat to the staging of events in NSW, this needs to be clarified and explained by the appropriate persons (NSW Minister of Police) before we take further action.

We appreciate your support in passing this information on.

Regards

David Burt

Chief Executive Officer

Triathlon Australia Ltd

Level 3, 20 Rodborough Rd

PO Box 6039

Frenchs Forest NSW 2086

Ph 61 2 9972 7999

Fx 61 2 9972 7998

www.triathlon.org.au

Edited by nrmoz

IMOZ may have to move interstate and surprisingly it has nothing to do with IMG or the local shire Council. This is a very serious situation. We should all be worried cos' this could spred nationwide very quickly and would kill our sport, cycling, road running and anything else that uses the roads.

Keep us posted Nick and let us if there is anything we can do to help.

Big Kev, is there anything like this proposed in Vic?

Edited by Hymie

Hymie,

I've been researching this problem for the three years since we uncovered it but this still caught everyone by surprise...

Perhaps the good side of it is that it's bureacratically driven; the original wording of the legislature is open to interpretation and so a nice bureaucrat has placed their definition of how they read it...

It's open to argument as they argue that a bicycle is a vehicle and therefore should be treated the same as V8 race car!!! Mind you they also regard billy carts in the same vein!

The one saviour may be some other legislature that I believe was introduced late last year that allows event waivers to be law, instead of a piece of paper any one with law 101 can walk through with the trade practices act their side...

If that can be found - and all three sports effected (athletics, triathlon and cycling) present a joint case (underway) to the government and opposition - then we may see some sensibility creep in - I hope! :lol::D

NO, cool bike too! Just look on this as another step in the growth of triathlon from childhood to adulthood!

I thought it was the LOOK you were getting Major ( I was the one getting fitted up on the FELT in Endeavour last night!).

:lol::D;):dolphin::lol: Surely one of us must know someone at a current affair or 60 mins or simialar who can help promote our cause....what do they expect us to do..sit at home on our arses and all become fat slobe...therefore putting more pressure on the already poor hospital system we have in NSW!!!!!!!!!!

ONe very pissed off MoM :angry:

Basically there are a number of initiatives growing and in place... the time to act will be after the joint government and sports meeting next week - if that doesn't gain any ground then I guess it comes back to those with the most to lose - the competitors...

It's already been suggested in another thread that we should round up all the athletes for some sort of protest but sincerely we need to something better than a Critical Mass type affair - all they do is piss off the public and we dont need public opinion against us too

:lol::D

Hymie

The Beach Rd councils have met recently and although it is not as bad as in NSW it is heading that way

Edited by bigkev

At a recent meeting of council and all stakeholders etc There were questions asked about the use of beach Road and the amount of events that will be allowed on Beach Rd

There wqas and is a suggestion that permits will be a lot harder to come by and course changes will be added.

Note last years race at Mordy when they had to change the course at the last minute.

It appears that we could be rationing our beach Road appearances and that only recognised Race Promtors will be able to run races at Beach Rd.

What does the future hold???

Will it be 5 Beach Rd races for a season

Where else do you run races in Vic

Geelong, Mornington Pennisula.

????

How long till these venues are no longer available?

Guest MB

Getting serious for a sec... this all sounds like stuff that an opposition would love to be able to put a government on the spot over, in question time... and grill them over it... I hope that is not lost on Tri-NSW in their lobbying... also some aggressive media lobbying, like getting "The Parrot" on your side, wouldn't hurt... he effectively put an end to that idiotic plan to test the terrorist siren on the Harbour Bridge last year.

-- MB.

I believe the meeting coming up Monday next has been convened with all sports represented, and cetainly one hopes will be copied to the opposition... Just spotted my local member Brad Hazard was at one time shadow Sports Minister - oops - I feel another email coming on...

Good point MB on the opposition aspect.

A few years ago I was Chairman of the Victorian Rally Panel when the government of the day declared state parks in the Box Ironbark areas of Vic. effectively banning the use of roads for rallying.

During the process we attended numerous meeting with experts, government reps and members of the opposition. We even took along a bus load of opposition pollies to the areas, along with other interested user groups.

They promised us that they would fight it very hard and look after our interests. Gues what?

THEY ROLLED OVER. they are all painted with the same brush.

There was a time when an edict came out in NSW re sterile roads, that ALL NSW rallies had to have barriers along it's entire length. How impracticle is that? Fortunatley common sense prevailed.

I note BIG KEV'S posts re Beach Road. I was waiting for this to happen, due to the useage and inconvenience to the public. Beach Rd. has cyclists 7 day's per week and a two lane rd. that is effectively one lane aech sat. & sun.

Bugs.

Kev,

Has the hell ride contributed to this situation? I agree the Vic Tri scene would be screwed if this happens. Is it me being cynical or can I see some outrageous usage fees being charged by the bayside councils? :lol::D;):dolphin:

Hi ROXII,

you should have said gidday.

Nah, decided to stay with what i had before basically, just in the telecom colours this time.

only gunna put 105 on it till the dura-ace 10 speed arrives.

cant wait to actually start training again.

major

Hi everybody

I've been sticking my head in the sand about this one for over a year now - been too busy with other stuff & was hoping it would go away but alas it hasn't. Its about time I got off my butt and used my pretty extensive political connections to call in a few favours. A few points occur to me however.

The driving force behind this is not the Police Force. My bet is some anti-bike elements in the RTA, supported by Carl Scully who has firmly adopted a bikes off roads policy (ie. rail trails etc.) and by the then Police Minister Michael Costa who believes in a "user pays" police force - almost to a religious extent.

Forget Alan Jones - he believes that any sporting event that uses public roads is elitist and should be prohibited (anyone remember his diatribe against the Sydney Marathon a few years back?).

Forget the opposition - they are useless and are at least 4 years away from government in any event.

The good news is that I don't think Carr is behind this and unless he is alienated (ie. smeared by the opposition or personally targeted by understandably irate cyclists) he is open to change.

My personal dealings with Carl Scully and with John Watkins lead me to believe that they can be turned around - if handled properly as well.

So instead of "shooting" from the hip I think we should work out exactly who the "enemy" is in the NSW Government and find a way to go around them. Remember the Civil Liability Act was introduced last year to preserve community events. Its up to us to demonstrate to the Premier that the cycling and triathlon communities are an integral part of the wider community.

I'll keep you posted on my enquiries.

Andrew #1

This is such an awful situation it's hard to know how best to attack it. MoM suggests that someone must know some people in influential places such as 60mins etc, which is a grand idea. But, and I may be wrong, but while we as cyclists, triathletes, runners etc are all totally outraged etc. Wouldn't there be a equal amount of people (I'm thinking execs etc) out there going, "Yeah about time, these events hold me up in my 4WD while I'm taking the dog to it's tennis lesson," etc.

What I'm trying to say is in a situation like this, it could be hard to know who holds the most influence. One area I don't think has been mentioned, but may have been is the charities themselves that benefit from a lot of these activities. getting those people on board, combined with SBS and other sympathetic media, plus a couple of pollies for good measure Tony Abbot and John Brogden as runners spring to mind (although it hurts me to say so :lol: ) might be a good idea.

One other thing, in my purely unscientific survey, I would suggest that TRI is probably a more corporate thing to do than purely cycling (in general terms) so as MoM says, let's pull our collective resources, and influence, be it in the board room or in the media, or on the streets.

Fight the Power! :D

Kev et al

I think the Beach Road situation (in Victoria) has mostly to do with the 'saturation' of triathlons from St Kilda to Mordialloc. Check your calendars from the last two seasons and you will see that from December to March (four months) there are only about four weekends that did not have a tri along that stretch of road.

As a triathlete and cyclist I personally find it really incovenient that I cannot ride along my favourite strecth of road on a Sunday morning because the tri heads have blocked it off. Yes, we already have 'sterile roads' here for these races. If it was once a month that would be ok but we are talking about every single week.

There are very many hundreds of cyclists (and the odd car driver - but I do not care as much for them) who want to use this road and our sports dominance over it on Sunday mornings is obviously wearing thin at council level.

We have had our halcyon days, it is time for the sport to find a more workable long term solution to the use of the Beach Road.

PB :-)

-- putting on a suit of armour waiting to be attacked here!!!