Sign in to follow this  
Kamal2

Ten More Questions with Jabbs...Tony U.

Hey Tony, you already had 10 Q's, but you do draw quite a bit of public interest here. Are you ready to go with another round of 10?

Good...that question was not included...

1. Tony, it is noted you had a long history in the sport...25 years or more? With plenty of podiums and race wins...would you care to mention 2 or 3 career highlights?

2. Speaking of history, triathlon itself is still a young sport. Why do you personally feel the history of triathlon is important? And why is it important for a kid who came into the sport 4-5 years ago and started winning races? Should he know the history of the sport and give some kind of reverence to it?

3. Tony, have you ever received coaching...I don't mean picking up tips from Mick (Coach@) and others...I mean have you even had formal coaching?

4. Why don't you set up as a coach...now, or maybe later on?

5. Jabbs..correlate your injuries to the workload you put yourself under? Now given you had serious injuries, including medical issues, if you knew back then what you know now....would you do anything differently?

6. Would you care to mention the pro's and cons of being married or partnered to a fellow athlete. Concentrate on the positive aspects, if you want? Now considering you probably prefer to be partnered with an athlete...what else can go wrong?

7. Tony, change of pace here. In baseball, can a pitcher record 4 strikouts in an innings? If this is so...how does it happen?

7 B...easy one..could a batter srtike out twice in the same innings? How?

8.Mate, is police work condusive to sports training. Talk about the earlier years when you might have been rostered on shifts...and you might want to mention what other professions might be triathlon friendly..eg teaching, nursing etc.

9. Tony, when posting in forum, do you ever consider that you have an insider group..."Shire" based, who might support you? Do you consider that?

10. Tony, again...short or long answer...have you ever considered joining the Board of TA, or TRI NSW?

11. BONUS QUESTION: Rate Yo Yo as an athlete...break it down, strengths and weaknesses? And given 24hrs in a new city or locale, how long would it take to Yo Yo to connect with a woman.

12 BQ..2. How's your relationship with TGE at this time?

All questions optional....you may pass.

For those who might stay up all night waiting for the answers...I expect some time tomorrow you might see something.

Edited by kamalarrowsmith

Guest Gimili
For those who might stay up all night waiting for the answers...I expect some time tomorrow you might see something.

puttin it out there at 4am :lol:

I would like to know the total post count for all the user accounts he has had over the years.

Tipping he may be the number one poster of all times

I would like to know the total post count for all the user accounts he has had over the years.

No, without checking it...Roxi and Yo Yo, way up even if it's accumulated. Others too, but as I said, I didn't check it.

Roxi and Yo Yo have a lot of one liners, they add up over time.

Slowman & Parkside probably well up there, but they usually go into detail.

Add another question, are they really your legs on your facebook page? If they are, how did you ever run............and fast? Yere, 2 questions I guess.

Tomsey

No, without checking it...Roxi and Yo Yo, way up even if it's accumulated. Others too, but as I said, I didn't check it.

Roxi and Yo Yo have a lot of one liners, they add up over time.

Slowman & Parkside probably well up there, but they usually go into detail.

OK so I admit to being a bore :lol: but is there a measure for greatest number of responses to a post/thread? I'm thinking Jabs might win that one :lol: One of the best

we have :D

To answer Tomsey's question yes the legs are on FB, Jabs' legs have always been characterised by large quads, however fairly svelt calves by comparison and research has suggested that east africans make better distance runners because they have smaller lower legs, therefore less weight further out on the pendulum, which is really just rotating weight, except the direction keeps alternating. Anyway rotational mechanics applies, less rotating weight is easier to accelerate but of that rotating weight; the closer it is to the radius the less it hinders rotational acceleration. Anyway, because quads are closer to the radius of the arc, their weight matters less. Sorry that was boring!

Edited by Slowman

Hey Tony, you already had 10 Q's, but you do draw quite a bit of public interest here. Are you ready to go with another round of 10?

Good...that question was not included...

Will have a quick crack at these, seeing its April fools day, all responses may or may not be true..... and Parky yeah you're right, probably answered all of them anyway. Will be as quick as I can have a bit going on at the mo, spontaneous answers probably best anyway

1. Tony, it is noted you had a long history in the sport...25 years or more? With plenty of podiums and race wins...would you care to mention 2 or 3 career highlights?

Obviously winning my first 'big' race overall (the 1985 Sydney triathlon); top ten in IMOZ in 1989 and as much as TGE has poo poohed it being in the 1990 Commonwealth Games triathlon team....

2. Speaking of history, triathlon itself is still a young sport. Why do you personally feel the history of triathlon is important? And why is it important for a kid who came into the sport 4-5 years ago and started winning races? Should he know the history of the sport and give some kind of reverence to it?

Watch the Tour of Flanders and Roubaix over the next two weeks to see the value of 'monuments' and history in the sport. The longest running race we have in Australia at the moment with any history is Noosa which has become a victim of its own popularity and is a bit of a joke in terms of credibility now. Simlarly personalities have been ignored in the history of the sport in Australia, the sport is run by serial sporting administrators who move from sport to sport in that 'industry' and nobodies desparately trying to be somebodies. By extension they dont like people with genuine credibility who would unite and lead people rather than divide them (but then again the nameless people have essentially been invisible anyway - they have no idea of leadership although some might be okay at administration and management. If a kid comes into the sport and wants to progress as a marketable commodity winning is not enough. See Lance Armstrong pre and post cancer, as he grew as a rider, he realised respecting history added to his own legacy and credibility

3. Tony, have you ever received coaching...I don't mean picking up tips from Mick (Coach@) and others...I mean have you even had formal coaching?

No I havent and maybe I should have. Realising that now. Other than Dick Quinn and also at times Mick and others leading the swim squad. The problem is there are very few credible coaches in triathlon. Very few. Col Stewart and a few others are some of that very few. After having been exposed to people like Gary Sutton and seeing what a genuine legend of the sport (history again huh) and now a commanding and incredibly respected leadership and coaching figure can do with athletes, some of these people taking peoples money should be prosecuted for obtaining a benefit by deception. Not worth pissing on if they were on fire.

4. Why don't you set up as a coach...now, or maybe later on?

I might. Or I might not. I dont see large squads or bunch rides in groups as my future. I would see more of a consultant role. Look at your results, your goals, your ability, your available time, your current state of condition, your choice of equipment, your technique and a few other things, and concentrate on your race performance rather than the endless training and social aspect which is what most people want i.e. to be part of a group with the race as a secondary goal as much as they dont admit it. I would also say that product might attract people who are stagnating and add some value to what they are doing or offer a reassessment in frank and some may say blunt terms. If you are too fat I will tell you. Most coaches could euphemistically be termed 'minibuses' as they only half a coach taking your money to blow sunshine up your arse, or alternately you are paying them to train themselves and they give you a cut and paste program off the internet, or yet another coach will have you do things to 'toughen you up' and make you feel 'hard' but is just injuring you and wearing you out, but doing it in a way that appeals to your psyhe to keep coming back until you are 'tough enough'. Be smart enough to make your own decisons.

5. Jabbs..correlate your injuries to the workload you put yourself under? Now given you had serious injuries, including medical issues, if you knew back then what you know now....would you do anything differently?

I did the best with what I had. Right to the very edge and then some. Said that before. I have the ability to come back from setbacks others may not. A lot of my body wearing out beside the training was also due to work, running in the bog standard GP boot with heavy backpacks, logs, shotguns, gasmasks, blokes on your shoulders at that sort of stuff.

6. Would you care to mention the pro's and cons of being married or partnered to a fellow athlete. Concentrate on the positive aspects, if you want? Now considering you probably prefer to be partnered with an athlete...what else can go wrong?

She is a pretty amazing woman. She is also at a crossroads of wanting to do more 100km runs and runs her 50th marathon next week. Her body is wearing out like mine did. I am trying to get her into bike racing but it doesnt float her boat. I am trying to have her learn from my lessons, but having limited success. We are both stubborn and headstrong and clash. I love her very much and she has been very accepting of me and mini me which are a package deal. I am also the first older bloke she has ever been out with.....

7. Tony, change of pace here. In baseball, can a pitcher record 4 strikouts in an innings? If this is so...how does it happen?

The answer to question 7 is 7B. But you already knew that.

8.Mate, is police work condusive to sports training. Talk about the earlier years when you might have been rostered on shifts...and you might want to mention what other professions might be triathlon friendly..eg teaching, nursing etc.

No it isnt, the organisation is not in any way supportive of sport in my experience, right back from when unless you played Police footy you were a poofter and not doing real sport. I can remember blokes who played third grade U/23s for the Dragons being rostered on duty for training and games with an old Sergeant but at the same time I was selected to represent Australia at the Commonwealth Games and had to argue to get my leave even though it was there in black and white I was entitled to it. I am very passionate about the people in the organisation. I see some horrendous stuff in the higher levels I am limited in what I can say, but lets say many are inwardly focused and all about themselves and their mates rather than being all about the people they are responsible for. Things might be changing in that regard soon. I recently went back to work after having a break when I could have exited and become a fulltime athlete. People tell me Im crazy....

9. Tony, when posting in forum, do you ever consider that you have an insider group..."Shire" based, who might support you? Do you consider that?

I have my supporters and detractors here and everywhere else. I know lots of people but have very very few close friends. I essentially rant on here. I dont really care what people think, but because of that and that I am comfortable in my own skin and in touch with my place in the world I upset a few people by throwing grenades or touching on taboos, but hey thats life.

10. Tony, again...short or long answer...have you ever considered joining the Board of TA, or TRI NSW?

Have been on the board of TNSW. Might consider TA but have had a fairly extensive bit of experience with them and their agendas, some of the old dead wood is still on that board and needs to go, and they completely lack any visiblity or leadership ability as well as any ability to listen and act. Their antics have appalled me, and I have intimate knowledge of some of them. I think the ASC should wind it up and start again. .

11. BONUS QUESTION: Rate Yo Yo as an athlete...break it down, strengths and weaknesses? And given 24hrs in a new city or locale, how long would it take to Yo Yo to connect with a woman.

Like a lot of stuff you read on the net Shannon talks it up but as I understand it and to blow his cover has been in a steady relationship for a long time and so maybe not everything you read on the internet is true. Plus he plays cricket which is just weird.

12 BQ..2. How's your relationship with TGE at this time?

Chris and I used to be friends. We had a public falling out. We have known each other for a long time, but have not spoken now for a long time. People dont and rightly shouldnt know all the stuff that happens between people that know each other. He has proven his place in the sport, but in the big scheme of things being a big fish in the triathlon pond is a pretty small pond. You arent Roger Federer or Tiger Woods. In my experience the price of friendship with Chris is to be syncophantic in nature and blow sunshine up his arse. He needs that posse around him and it works for him. Several people who have known him for a long time are no longer close to him and they similar personalities to me. Lance Armstrong is like this too evidently and when your stocks are up and you are at the top of your game there are plenty of those people around. Chris has cemented his place in the sport. Curiously since I have had to 'pick a side' and not sit on the fence with people I have become good mates with TPC and find him of a similar personality to myself, he cares little for the personality/media/publicity stuff. He is a very private person wheras I am a heart on my sleeve type. The fans/spectators/syncophants whatever cant ever know the full story between two mates that have had a falling out and never will. Chris was a talented kid who has reached the absolute top of his chosen endeavour and that cannot be denied. But ultimately he is just a bloke who puts his pants on one leg at at a time and no one special. We will be around here both of us for years to come and our kids are the same age and will no doubt be interacting with each other at Northies in about ten years which is a scary thought.. I really enjoy the fact that as an old broken down has been I can still go out in the bunches and smash it up with the boys, and for an old guy living the dream that is pretty cool. I did try to bury the hatchet with Chris before Christmas this year but it appears the damage has been done, but hey, there are guys I had punch ups with in the surf thirty years ago that still hate me. So thats life.

All questions optional....you may pass.

The answer to question 7 is 7B. But you already knew that

Sorry Tony, as an ex catcher, you should provide a complete answer to 7A...

Or anyone else might like to answer....it's tricky, but you should know it.

7A and 7B answers are not related to each other, btw.

WTF ??? Thought Jabbs knew everything ???

As a new comer to the sport (and this forum!) I really enjoy reading these 10 question threads, it's great to get some history of the sport from the guys and girls who lived it as it happened

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts mate

Great answers

I read the pre edited reply and I have got to stop talking to myself..... :lol: Had to laugh just been out for a few hours on the road, up near Waterfall who should I run into but one of the nicest blokes around, TGE's Dad. Stopped and had a chat he wished us all the best for this weekend, my significant other first met him a few years back and they ended up hitting it off, chatted for hours even had a few drinks together and it wasnt until a few hours into the convo the penny dropped as to who my mate Kenny was..... :lol: funny moment.... TGE's parents have been very good to me. His mum was a beautiful lady.

I think we need a link to the news story about TUV from back in the day, you know, for the newbies to understand what the fuss is about.

What this one??? :lol:

Have a great weekend Jabbs and Minnie, congrats.

I read the pre edited reply and I have got to stop talking to myself..... :( Had to laugh just been out for a few hours on the road, up near Waterfall who should I run into but one of the nicest blokes around, TGE's Dad. Stopped and had a chat he wished us all the best for this weekend, my significant other first met him a few years back and they ended up hitting it off, chatted for hours even had a few drinks together and it wasnt until a few hours into the convo the penny dropped as to who my mate Kenny was..... :( funny moment.... TGE's parents have been very good to me. His mum was a beautiful lady.

:lol::lol: No mention of your "Cavendish stem?" in the interview :D:D:D

Guest steamroller

Stu GAIR is, without doubt, one of the funniest men on the planet.

That is Gold !!!!! :lol::D:D ,

"I think one day when Im an old man, I'll have bikes in the garage instead of a nice car......"

Guest steamroller
I work with his brother Leigh...even funnier :lol:

Leigh is a classic. All the Gair brothers are naturally funny story tellers. Get Leigh to tell the "this is not a Spanish bordello" story.

Editted to say at one stage Leigh's wife was concerned he had a man crush on a local physio due to the fact Leigh was going for appointments every week. Any truth to that Parkside?

Edited by steamroller

Take out all the cycling posts and the answer is 17.

Leave it until tomorrow...Tony might have to research it.

Take out all the cycling posts and the answer is 17.

:lol: