Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gimili

Darwin Awards

Hunting can only be classed as a sport if soccer has 11 against a goalkeeper, rugby (union) has 15 against a full back...or the target of the hunt can shoot back. It's a bloody hobby.

Or if you put a knife between your teeth and chase down your prey.

I hunted (shooting) as a kid, only ferals - rabbits & foxes on farms. You could get $20 for a fox skin back in the 70's from the local hide dealer in Cooma which was a small fortune for a kid.

Only 'hunting' I do now is fishing, all catch & release. A nice day without seeing another human quietly walking up a bubbling stream in the bush is magic.

Sadly, you are right.

I'm so grateful for my early years, growing up in the country, roaming the bush with a fishing rod/rifle, racing around on our dragsters....and the fact I still live in the country.

I grew up in the country and - along with sport - my upbringing taught me responsibility and respect. My parents treated me as an adult, but expected me to behave as an adult. We were also expected to have a view and be ready to debate it, respectfully, and demonstrate that we had brains.

Every school holidays I was sent away to my uncle's farm (potatoes and barley) and was able to fish and shoot to my heart's content (both of which I now hate for some reason). When I turned 14, they allowed me to buy a motorbike to get around, so I chose a 2nd hand Yamaha TT600 enduro bike and I would disappear for hours on that thing (probably a bit of overkill, but a lot of fun!!!!). I earned money and I earned respect.

Now, fast forward 25 years + and living in London, I despair for the kids of today who throw a tantrum if they can't get wifi coverage, miss a Pokemon thingy or are bullied. They seem like they are in a daze most of the time and appear to have absolutely no discernible skills to speak of. Most are glued to their phones and can barely hold a conversation on a topic of interest. They also look bored and miserable most of the time.

I miss the simpler life and all that it brought me.

I wasn't sure where to put this..... I guess here will do.

• Haha 2

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Where's the one place in Australia you are 99.9% certain of being booked if you speed?

20181214_114646.jpg

-33.4434, 149.5605

2 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yup, right outside the Rydges at The Chase

It's nice when they wave back...