Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gimili

Darwin Awards

Guest Gimili

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-natio...0319-1c153.html

Does my head in why you would stand in front of people firing shot guns. Why do people see the need to break the law becuase they think their values are better than someone elses. Why don' they just go stand in front of the butchers store in the main street and chant meat is murder rather than trying to get their head on tv with 15 minutes of fame stopping an australian tradition that is centuries old. Guess there is no TV opportunity in standing out the front of Coles or Wolloies saying don't buy caged eggs.

Well, this woman is surely a nominee for the darwin awards.

I won't argue about the wisdom of standing in a duck lake during hunting season......

But surely the onus is on the shooter to ensure they are firing upon a 'safe' area...?? I mean, those protestors were all wearing high-viz gear in the lake, not as if they were invisible..........

Bit like a truck driver complaining about hitting a cyclist on a main road. SUrely, some roads aren't wise to ride on. But the onus is still on the motorist to drive safely and legally...........

Cheers,

Abby

The area where the protesters were standing was an exclusion zone. So as far as im concerned it is up to the protesters to be on the lookout. If your stupid enough to stand in the area where people are firing guns and also an area which you ARE NOT supposed to be in, well you don't have much of a case im afraid. The protesters are just as stupid as the people shooting the ducks

Not a sensible place to stand.

What is the point/purpose in shooting ducks?

It's very manly to shoot small feathered animals and besides, it's a centuries old tradition in Australia as gim pointed out, so it must be ok!

Conor

Guest Gimili

Yes

Dunno, maybe they eat them, maybe it's there sport, who knows.

I'm not a duck shooter nor pig shooter, I kill fish on occasion though.

Guest Gimili
It's very manly to shoot small feathered animals and besides, it's a centuries old tradition in Australia as gim pointed out, so it must be ok!

Conor

The only person i know that does it is female...... got the shock of my life when I discovered she fired canons and her dog retrieves the bird.

Don't forget, reading the story she was shot by a 14 year old boy. Not exactly the most experienced person around i'm guessing.

Heck, maybe one of the protesters yelled out 'duck'!

I couldn't call hunting a sport.

Clay target shooting etc. yes but not hunting.

Hunting 'for sport' is hardly a fair contest.

Guest Gimili
I couldn't call hunting a sport.

Clay target shooting etc. yes but not hunting.

probably agree with you, throw in horse racing, motor racing too.....

probably agree with you, throw in horse racing, motor racing too.....

I'd say F1 drivers are elite athletes for sure. I'd go as far as saying that they are superior athletes to the vast majority 'going-around' completing ironman distance races. The exception to this would the pointy end of the elite field. How many people in the world are capable of driving a F1 car? About the same number who can qualify to race pro at Kona.

Does my head in why you would stand in front of people firing shot guns. Why do people see the need to break the law becuase they think their values are better than someone elses. Why don' they just go stand in front of the butchers store in the main street and chant meat is murder rather than trying to get their head on tv with 15 minutes of fame stopping an australian tradition that is centuries old. Guess there is no TV opportunity in standing out the front of Coles or Wolloies saying don't buy caged eggs.

Well, this woman is surely a nominee for the darwin awards.

OK, I'll bite:

Does my head in why you would want to shoot an Australian native water bird.

Does my head in why I can't enter a public wetland because people are firing guns in there.

Does my head in that shooting Australian native water birds is still legal.

Does my head in to think someone who shoots defenceless animals in their native habitat thinks their 'values' are equal to mine, when clearly they are not.

Australian 'traditions' are not necessarily ethical. Have a think about why rabbits were brought to this country - to uphold the English 'tradition' of shooting things. Have a think about why foxes were introduced into this country - to try and fix the out-of-control rabbit population. Both rabbits and foxes have contributed more to the extinction of many native species and the erosion of land than any other factor. So, your 'traditions' are actually very harmful. They also used to burn witches - a fine 'tradition'. Should we revive it for ol' times sake?

Does my head in that people bring up the 'we're going to eat it' argument. I don't see any of those shooters suffering from malnutrition.

Shooting our beautiful birds is a crime against Mother Nature. Anyone caught harming animals should be jailed in my opinion - including those who cage hens and make animals suffer so that people can stuff them into their gobs.

Guest Gimili
OK, I'll bite:

Does my head in why you would want to shoot an Australian native water bird.

Does my head in why I can't enter a public wetland because people are firing guns in there.

Does my head in that shooting Australian native water birds is still legal.

Does my head in to think someone who shoots defenceless animals in their native habitat thinks their 'values' are equal to mine, when clearly they are not.

Australian 'traditions' are not necessarily ethical. Have a think about why rabbits were brought to this country - to uphold the English 'tradition' of shooting things. Have a think about why foxes were introduced into this country - to try and fix the out-of-control rabbit population. Both rabbits and foxes have contributed more to the extinction of many native species and the erosion of land than any other factor. So, your 'traditions' are actually very harmful. They also used to burn witches - a fine 'tradition'. Should we revive it for ol' times sake?

Does my head in that people bring up the 'we're going to eat it' argument. I don't see any of those shooters suffering from malnutrition.

Shooting our beautiful birds is a crime against Mother Nature. Anyone caught harming animals should be jailed in my opinion - including those who cage hens and make animals suffer so that people can stuff them into their gobs.

not about biting - its about an idiot standing in front of a shotgun..... this ain't china and a tank....

as I said, I ain't a duck shooter, never even done it. Whilst I did have two red guard point a gun at me once, i didn't wade into a firing range for that to occur, just stepped out of line.

would add too, when i caught, killed an ate 4 fish at Christmas, I could have gone and dropped $60 at the fish shop, i didn't. I don't know why fish every few years, something I've been doing ever since I can remember, perhaps its the same with duck hunters?

And how stupid was this guy, didn't he know he could have been killed!

image014.jpg

Conor

Yes he did and that is what made that such an outstanding act on his behalf. If that tank had ran over him I get the feeling that he had accepted it, was standing up for his beliefs and literally ready to die for them.

The save the ducks people like to play the media about how they get between the hunters and the ducks so surely they should expect that something like this could happen.

Personally I hate hunting for sport, although I have shot rabbits, foxes and roos in the past. But, until there are laws to make it illegal then thre are better ways for the duck savers to do their job through legal channels.

Yes he did and that is what made that such an outstanding act on his behalf. If that tank had ran over him I get the feeling that he had accepted it, was standing up for his beliefs and literally ready to die for them.

The save the ducks people like to play the media about how they get between the hunters and the ducks so surely they should expect that something like this could happen.

The difference people will say for the Chinese case is that man was standing up for his belief and rights as a person against mistreatment from a government.

Likewise the people who are standing up for a defenceless animal. They have a belief. The ducks (or any animal) can not stand up for themselves, they can't protect themselves, they can only run(fly) and get shot for it.

There are just some people who stand up on the animals behalf.

I'm also against hunting.

Hunters are cowards basically.

...- its about an idiot standing in front of a shotgun..... this ain't china and a tank....

You see 'an idiot standing in front of a shotgun'

I see an idiot with a shotgun shooting a selfless woman rescuing injured Australian wildlife.

This ain't China and we ain't fighting a militant government, we are simply doing what all activists have done over the years in order to make statements against archaic laws that need to be changed. Success often requires acts of recklessness to force the positive change.

Throw in the "native Australian wildlife" argument... c'mon

I'm sure rats are native to some countries, but people still try to get rid of them. Kangaroos are native, but in plague proportions in some places / cases. Surely in these cases conservation dictates that some of them need to be culled.

I'm no duck shooter, but I'm sure ducks will be a PITA for farmers. Not all types of ducks can be shot.

Yes

Alot of the shooting 'sports' still exist as a way of keeping populations under control. I'm not saying this is the case with the ducks, I have never shot a duck or hunted for one and have no idea on what the population is, however I do know they can be a pest at times to the farms.

The same argument goes for the hunting kangaroos. Kangaroos I have shot before, you will need to get out west sometime and see a whole field of wheat get up and hop away before you can really imagine the damage they can do when the population gets out of control.

Some people will argue they have every right to be there, however you won't see those same people be the first to put their hands up and say I will forgo being able to buy my food easily from the supermarket when they have decimated crops. I'm never for shooting something for the sake of it, however sometimes there is a need to cull populations. I'm not saying the duck shooting shouldn't be stopped, I just don't know enough about it.

It's funny but I never seem to hear of any protestors rallying to save the decimation of the 'Fire Ants', or spraying of the mosquito populations, both of which are also living creatures. Do the ducks have more right to live then them?

Not a duck hunter, or a protester. Not a fan of people shooting small animals though.

Heard a lively debate about this on the radio yesterday, and whilst the protesters think they are doing the right thing, apparently they are contributing to more ducks being shot. Apparently there is a bag limit, so for every duck that gets whisked away by a protester, another one is being shot in its place.

EG if a guy has a 10 bag limit, he might actually be shooting 2-3 times that amount to actually fill his bag because of all of the ones being taken away by the protesters.

An argument given on the hunters side is that the ducks ruin crops. Don't know if that is true or false.

I said to my girlfriend yesterday - 'Is it bad that I find it funny that a person protesting against ducks being shot was shot?'

She replied, 'Basically, yes'!

Totally agree.

Ever seen a skein of ducks flying majestically across an ashen sky? Definitely drafting.

Totally agree.

Ever seen a skein of ducks flying majestically across an ashen sky? Definitely drafting.

If you watch them long enough you will see that they even take turns on the front! :lol:

First of all, I am neither for or against duck shooting (or roos, foxes rabbits etc).

However, I was talking with a mate of mine who spent the weekend up where this woman was shot.

It is true that she was in an exclusion zone when she was shot and had (allegedly) swum out into the firing line to retrieve a duck that had been downed.

It is alleged the pellets that struck her were from a ricochet "off" the water.

Not trying to say who is right or wrong here, just relaying what I heard from someone who was there.

Now for my opinion - Why on Earth would someone knowingly put themselves in the firing line of a bunch of amped up blokes, full of adrenaline and testosterone and then cry foul when they are injured??

This woman is clearly (in my opinion at least) not quite wired the right way. I have had a gun pointed at me on one occasion and thought it was all about to end - I definately wouldn't knowingly put myself in that position again.

But, each to their own I guess...........

they could at least be shooting something ferral like pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits, cats, etc ETC

I'm not into killing things other than spiders but duck tastes bloody good.

My brother inlaw (a kiwi) goes shooting all the time. Like into the bush hunting deer for days at a time. He also duck shoots.

He does it for the food and time with the boys.

Doesn't see it as a sport at all.

Do ESPN cover duck shooting? If they do, it would have to be a sport.

Now for my opinion - Why on Earth would someone knowingly put themselves in the firing line of a bunch of amped up blokes, full of adrenaline and testosterone and then cry foul when they are injured??

Probably in the idealistic belief that no human would willingly shoot in the direction of another human in that situation. Not saying that the person who pulled the trigger knew she was there and did it as a deliberate act, I hope the young guy who did was suitably distressed by the incident.

Was paddling down the Big River around Eildon with a mate a few years back and had some hunters deliberately fire across the top of us and laugh about it. Was very scary.

Conor

Former triathlete, mutiple Hawaii ironman and archer Mick Benson owned Benson archery in Sydney.

In the shop was a photo of Mick in full camos a bow and quiver over his shoulder and bloody great deer humped over his back.

He said he was hunting, got the deer and then carried it out of the bush (couple of hours walk from memory) .

Now Im not a fan of hunting at all, but damn that was an impressive looking photo.

Edited by roxii

catch and release :lol:

Funnily enough yep I do that.

I've even had a long running chase of a huntsman that took up residence on my car.

It took over a year to catch and release into the wild.

Had him cornered once in the side mirror, got him out and off but I couldn't see him on the ground so was only 50/50 whether I was successful. A few weeks later sitting in peak hour he runs across the bonnet (very rare to catch sight) pulled off to a side street found him tuck away in the windscreen wiper caught him and off into the bushes.

catch and release :lol:

My wife does that. But I kill them and the dog eats them. Saves walking outside.

Funnily enough yep I do that.

I've even had a long running chase of a huntsman that took up residence on my car.

It took over a year to catch and release into the wild.

Had him cornered once in the side mirror, got him out and off but I couldn't see him on the ground so was only 50/50 whether I was successful. A few weeks later sitting in peak hour he runs across the bonnet (very rare to catch sight) pulled off to a side street found him tuck away in the windscreen wiper caught him and off into the bushes.

At least he (the spider) stayed outside the car, my car huntsman decided to walk in the open window and across the dash one day. the only problem was that my wife was sitting in the passenger seat at the time. After she stopped screaming enough tell me what the problem was i was able to stop and move the spider out of the car. He promtly walked across the windscreen and laughed at us.

You can't catch them in a rabbit trap.

I grew up catching and eating rabbits, ducks and pidgeons and fish, lobster and abalone. Good lean meat that tastes 10 times better than shop food.

Now all the do gooders have ruined most of this. Hardly worth putting the wetsuit on to get 2 ab and 1 lobster!

Yes

My old man used to go duck hunting back in the day.

Used to fill up the boot of a HQ statesman and mum would be pissed because she had to pluck and clean a heap of ducks when he got back with his mates :lol:

Needless to say I dont like duck anymore :lol:

As far as protestors go, if you act like a dickhead, then expect to get shot..and not just in duck season :D

I was speaking to someone today and the subject got onto this. She too couldn't believe that someone would be so stupid as to put themselves in between ducks and a bunch of people trying to shoot said ducks. As she drove away I noticed she had a relatively new (i.e. not faded) "Sea Shepherd" sticker on the back of her car. :lol:

On that matter I was watching something on telly the other day explaining how Greenpeace stopped doing the boat thing for whales because it was prohibitively expensive and focussed on a publicity and politically driven campaign within Japan to reduce the demand for whale meat. The evidence points to this campaign being very effective so far and thus reducing the price for which the meat can be sold and in turn reducing the funding available to carry on their "research." Ironically, now that they're not going down south (ooer) the donations from the smelly, unshaven greeny types has flowed away from them to the Sea Shepherd organisation in spite of the fact that their approach is creating a long term cultural change.

Anyway, must go and watch that new cooking show. Tonight they're doing gormet chips fried in duck fat!

Duck is tasty!

If they are happy to stand in a swamp in there spare time to shot a couple of wild game birds that they plan on taking home and eating then thats their perogative. Personally I find it easier to go to the Roast Duck house to get my fix!

If they are doing it just to shoot something then they should piss off to a shooting range, no reason to kill and animal if you dont plan on eating it.

There would be a lot more vegetarians in the world if everybody still had to kill and prep their own meat. Any body seen the Jamie Oliver where he is in Italy and as the guest it is his duty to kill and prep the lamb. It was pretty gruesome, but he made the point that if you found it offensive then give up eating meat, because this is part of the process.

Is it any different to getting your ticket to dive for abalone or crays when they are in season? I doubt that they method for getting abalone of the rocks is pleasant on creature.

People that voluntarily put themselves in the line of fire to save a duck that is probably already dead probably have very little regard for themselves or others! How do you reckon the little tacker that fired the shot feels, knowing that he narrowly missed killing somebody? Got to be something that would mess you up a bit?

There would be a lot more vegetarians in the world if everybody still had to kill and prep their own meat.

Or perhaps there would be less as all people would grow up with it and accept it, not get to their teens and be influenced by some peers telling them meat is murder. Alot of those raised on farms that see and get involved with the butchering process seem to rarely go vegetarian in my experience, totally different story to those that only have to skin the plastic coating off of the steak they hunt in the supermarket freezer.

I grew up on a farm & have watched animals be born, help raise them, personally shot them, then helped dress them out & cook them so they could be eaten. I don't have a problem with people killing their own meat. You do get used to it & it certainly doesn't bother me turning a cute animal into a nice roast.

I've hunted ducks for sport. If I shot it down I would take it home & eat it. Only used to kill enough for a feed & not a freezer full. I also worked on a rice farm for a while in my early 20's so I have done lots of shooting for pest control. Mostly we were just trying to scare the ducks, geese, coots etc off the crop but if something was killed it generally wasn't taken home for food.

Last time I checked what the duck hunters were doing was legal. Anyone who is willing to stand between somebody with a loaded shotgun & their target is really stupid. The protestors were on a prohibition order & shouldn't have been there anyway. I feel for the 14 year old. If the protestor had been killed he would have to live with knowing that he was the one who did it, even if it was the idiot protestors fault for being somewhere they shouldn't have been.

Jimbo, this isn't directed at you. Your post just happened to be the last one when I replied.

I grew up on a farm & have watched animals be born, help raise them, personally shot them, then helped dress them out & cook them so they could be eaten. I don't have a problem with people killing their own meat. You do get used to it & it certainly doesn't bother me turning a cute animal into a nice roast.

I've hunted ducks for sport. If I shot it down I would take it home & eat it. Only used to kill enough for a feed & not a freezer full. I also worked on a rice farm for a while in my early 20's so I have done lots of shooting for pest control. Mostly we were just trying to scare the ducks, geese, coots etc off the crop but if something was killed it generally wasn't taken home for food.

Last time I checked what the duck hunters were doing was legal. Anyone who is willing to stand between somebody with a loaded shotgun & their target is really stupid. The protestors were on a prohibition order & shouldn't have been there anyway. I feel for the 14 year old. If the protestor had been killed he would have to live with knowing that he was the one who did it, even if it was the idiot protestors fault for being somewhere they shouldn't have been.

Jimbo, this isn't directed at you. Your post just happened to be the last one when I replied.

Agree with you 100%

Shooting to ward off pests is a totally different thing all together, got no problem with that.

I'm not into killing things other than spiders but duck tastes bloody good.

My brother inlaw (a kiwi) goes shooting all the time. Like into the bush hunting deer for days at a time. He also duck shoots.

He does it for the food and time with the boys.

Doesn't see it as a sport at all.

Do ESPN cover duck shooting? If they do, it would have to be a sport.

Hunting is huge in NZ.

Running the Tarawera Trail Ultra near Rotarua, 50 odd k's into 100 in the middle of nowhere, not another competitor in sight, and 100m ahead of me out of the bush comes one huge bearded mother, wearing camoflage gear with the biggest shotgun I have ever seen over his shoulder. Decision time, what the frock do I do? Keep running and trust that his eyesight didn't mistake me for the startled gazelle that I had become, hide in the bush in the hope that this doesn't become a scene from Deliverence. Neither, I went on the attack: watched, waited and stalked him until he disappeared well into the bush and then I ran like a girl to the next check point.

Fortune favours the fearful!

Many years ago when Master t was a little tacker, we spent a couple of nights on the farm of a work colleague (who happens to be a work colleague of Thommo227, small world). They had the normal gun box in the house and regularly went on feral goat hunting trips. Well, our little city boy just couldn't cope with the whole gun thing and went on and on about how guns were bad. He was only placated when the padlock went on and it was all out of sight out of mind. But he raised the issue for months afterwards.

Funny thing was he was fine with marking lambs and even with the recently slaughtered sheep hanging in the breezeway.

A new nominee for this year's award.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3705064/Woman-mauled-death-tiger-family-ignoring-warnings-jumping-car-Chinese-safari-park.html

368D603B00000578-3705064-image-a-13_1469

This woman about to be jumped by the tiger was "only" seriously injured. Sh got in an argument so got out of the car to remonstrate. Another woman who also left the car was killed instantly.

I'm increasingly dumbfounded by the erosion in peoples basic survival instincts. This seems to be particularly prevalent in those of Asian origin. I guess too much technology, too much having other people do things for us and not enough time in the real world has blunted peoples senses?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/woman-killed-another-injured-in-tiger-attack-at-china-wildlife-park/news-story/273929dc29f413f8c3abadaf4193c396

Oh snap Ex - great minds think alike.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

I'm increasingly dumbfounded by the erosion in peoples basic survival instincts. This seems to be particularly prevalent in those of Asian origin. I guess too much technology, too much having other people do things for us and not enough time in the real world has blunted peoples senses?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/woman-killed-another-injured-in-tiger-attack-at-china-wildlife-park/news-story/273929dc29f413f8c3abadaf4193c396

Oh snap Ex - great minds think alike.

I'm not dumbfounded - I am used to it. People walking around with their heads elsewhere and not thinking about what might actually happen to them. You see it with smartphones - they have been made smarter, but the people using them have been made dumber!

Watch any major intersection on any day and you will see people sleepwalking toward their own demise.

Rimmer I was only thinking this today on Bourke street.

It seemed like every second person was walking staring at their phone.

I just walk into them now. It's like a new sport.

Similar to cross fit. Only you don't have to be a vegan or give a shit.

• Like 1

Pokemon

I'm not dumbfounded - I am used to it. People walking around with their heads elsewhere and not thinking about what might actually happen to them. You see it with smartphones - they have been made smarter, but the people using them have been made dumber!

Watch any major intersection on any day and you will see people sleepwalking toward their own demise.

Sadly, you are right.

I'm so grateful for my early years, growing up in the country, roaming the bush with a fishing rod/rifle, racing around on our dragsters....and the fact I still live in the country.

I guess if you are into meditation etc, it is a natural kind of mindfulness. I recall being able to spot tiny subtle movements in the water which gave away the position of a feeding trout - still can. Modern life and devices just kill that connection to nature and common sense....though how the fark you miss the connection to large carnivores in a park dedicated to large carnivores is beyond me :unsure:

Hunting can only be classed as a sport if soccer has 11 against a goalkeeper, rugby (union) has 15 against a full back...or the target of the hunt can shoot back. It's a bloody hobby.