Sign in to follow this  
dfc.

Question about Triathlon Bike

I thought some of you might be able to help me, becuase you are the experts in Triathlons.

Would anyone know of a triathlon bike that would cost less than $1000. I know that is a small sum of money but that is the most I can spend. I have found Cell bikes, but it is hard to buy a bike over the internet. I have also looked at BikeExchange, Cycling Classifides and so on but no luck.

I just want something like this, except for a third of the price:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/triat.../speedconcept25

Any help would be great,

thanks,

F.C

I thought some of you might be able to help me, becuase you are the experts in Triathlons.

Would anyone know of a triathlon bike that would cost less than $1000. I know that is a small sum of money but that is the most I can spend. I have found Cell bikes, but it is hard to buy a bike over the internet. I have also looked at BikeExchange, Cycling Classifides and so on but no luck.

I just want something like this, except for a third of the price:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/triat.../speedconcept25

Any help would be great,

thanks,

F.C

look at Thomos post - BMC TT03 for 900$ - (!) used - but looks good if i had my commission cheque in my hand now instead of march i'd be buying it.

You could look for second hand, but understand that some consumable parts(Cassette, chain, cables and housing) on the second hand bike may need replacing soon after you purchase.

look at Thomos post - BMC TT03 for 900$ - (!) used - but looks good if i had my commission cheque in my hand now instead of march i'd be buying it.

Spalen thanks for letting him know. It will probably still be for sale till then.

Can I ask why you need a tt bike ? A road bike set up correctly will be 99% as fast as a tt bike for the average rider spend the cash on a good set tt set up on your road bike

I would be looking for a used bike - under 1k isn't going to get you a TT rig worth upgrading to. Otherwise just grab some TT bars for $150 and save you pennies.

You can get some decent deals for around $1300 on ebay - sold my brothers giant trinity for around that - good bike.

I would be looking for a used bike - under 1k isn't going to get you a TT rig worth upgrading to. Otherwise just grab some TT bars for $150 and save you pennies.

You can get some decent deals for around $1300 on ebay - sold my brothers giant trinity for around that - good bike.

Thankyou for the ideas, I have a lot to think of now

What do you guys think about upgrading one of these:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/1_series/11/

Didn't realsie you did not have a road bike, not sure why I assumed you did. What distances are you looking at competing in and what backround in sport do you have? Might help us get an idea of waht is most appropriate.

For 1000 you should buy second hand you will get a good trek 5200 for that money. Even a 10 year old on of the

Would smoke any bike you can buy new for 1000.

Didn't realsie you did not have a road bike, not sure why I assumed you did. What distances are you looking at competing in and what backround in sport do you have? Might help us get an idea of waht is most appropriate.

About 60km plus. My Mountain Bike isn't really up to the distance anymore

Well for 1k you are not going to get a new TT bike. So unless you want to buy second hand then you will need to buy a road bike - which should be fine! You can also stick some TT bars on there and that can last you until you want to splash some cash for a TT rig.

go to bikexchange.com.au and do a search for road bikes up to your max amount - sort by most expensive and see what discounts people have in your area. Trek is good, Giant is probably better value for money, and then there are plenty of other brands which will be great. Have a look and see if you can get shimano 105 running gear inside your budget.

Best of luck!

Thankyou all for your help. Because I am only sixteen, and my parents are splashing the cash for the new bike, they don't want me to buy second hand. We have been to our local, but trusted bike shop, and they have told me for the types of paths I will be going on our rides, it is better to buy an urban bike, that I can upgrade later if needed.

I am still searching for that triathlon bike, but I probably won't be able to buy within two years, it will probably be when I am earning my own money.

Thankyou again for all your help, and I will definatley still come on here, and look for that triathlon bike an be a great member of this wonederful community!

FC

P.S, this is what I am looking at:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/71fx/

I wouldnt bother with that bike mate.

Better off changing the tyres on your mtb to slicks. Would be just as fast as that urban bike.

Save the difference for a road or tri bike later on.

Hmmm, if you are using paths/concrete - go for the road bike anyway. If it is gravel then forget it and get a flat bar like the one you posted (although trek is probably not the best value for money in this department)

I have found my flat bar to be very nice for multi purposes, and has lasted well and caused me no problems. I used it on the road, gravel and it even did around the bay in a day. It was an Apollo Exceed, even had some carbon in it :lol:

But if you are racing, then a road bike is going to come in handy - and can be used on paths. Using a tri bike for paths on the other hand would be a very bad idea.

I would say go to a few bike shops, and get a road bike that you like for around what you are wanting to spend.

Better off changing the tyres on your mtb to slicks. Would be just as fast as that urban bike.

Not necessarily, I found my flatbar was very fast, up there with my road bike. MTB are heavy, uncomfortable beasts with fat tyres that don't like too much pressure.

Mate don't do it. Where abouts do you live ? Seems somewhere near a trek store. Grt your parents to read this you can grt an excellent bike second hand for 1000 if you are in Sydney I am happy

To help u find one

As a triathlon store owner I would advise buying a road bike at a discounted price (plenty around at the moment) with Shimano Sora groupset,etc from a reasonable brand such as Felt,Orbea,etc.

Most bike stores can get hold of last years and this years entry level road bikes at below $1000 retail to get a beginner triathlete started.

This is not trying to get a sale as we are in Perth but simple independent shop advice.

Buy an entry level road bike.

Edited by totaltriathlon

Have you actually tried to ride a mountain bike for 60km on a path, the road and no off-road at all? Just a question

Oh, and I live in Brisbane

I would rather buy a bike that suited me now, that I can use a lot, and trust being new!

Not necessarily, I found my flatbar was very fast, up there with my road bike. MTB are heavy, uncomfortable beasts with fat tyres that don't like too much pressure.

Thats why I suggested he changes the tyres to slicks.

That trek is closer to a mtb than a roadie (apart from the 700 x 35 tyres) IMO

Have you actually tried to ride a mountain bike for 60km on a path, the road and no off-road at all? Just a question

Oh, and I live in Brisbane

I would rather buy a bike that suited me now, that I can use a lot, and trust being new!

Yes Ive ridden a mtb that far and it wasnt easy, but Im still alive to tell the tale.

Personally I would buy an entry level roadie as suggested by totaltriathlon. The point I was trying to make is that the trek would not be that much faster than your mtb with slicks (unless your current bike is a real heap of sh!t).

Just my opinion. You're not spending my money so I dont care what you do either way :lol:

I am still searching for that triathlon bike, but I probably won't be able to buy within two years, it will probably be when I am earning my own money.

Thommo's bike might still be for sale then.

Thats why I suggested he changes the tyres to slicks.

That trek is closer to a mtb than a roadie (apart from the 700 x 35 tyres) IMO

Yes Ive ridden a mtb that far and it wasnt easy, but Im still alive to tell the tale.

Personally I would buy an entry level roadie as suggested by totaltriathlon. The point I was trying to make is that the trek would not be that much faster than your mtb with slicks (unless your current bike is a real heap of sh!t).

Just my opinion. You're not spending my money so I dont care what you do either way :lol:

'Mr Tinman' your attitude is really annoying. I will be happy if when I buy a flat bar road bike, you cry, because you have insulted my bike and my options. (unless your current bike is a real heap of sh!t) I have a slick on the back, it helps but still isn't fast enough!

Please, try to be nicer next time! :lol:

The frame on this, is actually lighter than the Trek 1.1, at the same price as the 1.1, and has a better gearing system:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/fx/73fx/

Edited by dfc.

Mate, you need to get add some cement to your morning weetbix and harden up :lol:

All I was trying to do was point out that you would be almost as fast on your current bike as you would on the trek and that you should save your parents hard earned money.

I was not having a go at you, your current bike or anything else.

Now if you really want that bike, that is fine by me and I wish you all the luck in the future.

Peace-out bro :lol:

'Mr Tinman' your attitude is really annoying. I will be happy if when I buy a flat bar road bike, you cry, because you have insulted my bike and my options. (unless your current bike is a real heap of sh!t) I have a slick on the back, it helps but still isn't fast enough!

Please, try to be nicer next time! :lol:

The frame on this, is actually lighter than the Trek 1.1, at the same price as the 1.1, and has a better gearing system:

http://www.trekbikes.com/au/en/bikes/road/fx/73fx/

wow :D

Not sure Mr. Tinman will cry if you buy a bike, a car, a house or a space shuttle. He's just trying to give you a hand :lol:

Edited by dazaau

If you do go flatbar....

even better value http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/...-apollo-allegro

This is retail so you could find a dealer near you.

Carbon fiber fork.... Decent group-set for the money. And I can testify they are super robust and comfy.

Trek is nice, I have three of them - but they are not cheap, not the best value for money new, and I got all mine second hand :lol:

Did I mention CARBON FIBER :lol:

Edited by dazaau

If you do go flatbar....

even better value http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bikes/show/...-apollo-allegro

This is retail so you could find a dealer near you.

Carbon fiber fork.... Decent group-set for the money. And I can testify they are super robust and comfy.

Trek is nice, I have three of them - but they are not cheap, not the best value for money new, and I got all mine second hand :lol:

Did I mention CARBON FIBER :lol:

Yeah, found these today. Swayed but the CARBON FIBRE :D

Thommo's bike might still be for sale then.

I'll pay that one Uncle.

It's staying on here till it sells!!

Sign in to follow this