mtarone

P3 Bike Build Suggestions

I have a 2010 P3 Frame that I want to build up as my new TT bike (replacing my E114).

Here's a pic:

5388735737_612855ee50_b.jpg

I plan to move over my SRM wireless cranks and SRAM Red Gruppo (including R2C shifters) from the E-114:

5389350372_dda999ec30_b.jpg

5388739967_0e5302f987_b.jpg

However, I'd like some input on the following:

-Wheels (perhaps Zipp Firecrest, does anyone have any feedback on these wheels?)

-Bars (prefer aerobars to angle up as I currently have flat bars and don't find them comfortable

-Cables

-Brakes

I have some ideas on all of these items but thought I'd throw it out there.

I'll also take photos as I put it all together, but for now I'd like to get all of the parts ordered first.

Any help will be appreciated!

The new pro evo missile 2011 bars and matching stem are very nice. Same ones as on the Scott Plasmas that HTC rode last year, now adapted for 31.8mm.

It appears from your bling factor that budgetary issues arent a great problem and these might be a little exxy but certainly worth it. They come pre packaged in a standard set up with an amazing amount of adjustability, you just have to be patient as they are a bit of a Meccano set. I fiddled with mine and ended up going back to the setup they came in outta the box, could have saved myself a lot of swearing.

Personally I would get the UCI legal seatpost as it increases your ability to use the bike. The brakes dont really matter whatever aesthetically pleases you, just some SRAM ones if you are that way inclined best bet to have it all match.

Wheels you really cant go past a Zipp disc and 808 front setup, maybe a firecrest front or dual 808 firecrests, a mate how is alinged to Zipp says these are pretty good, but you still have to pedal the bastard.

Super nine or Sub Nine wont fit in that frame.

Might add that looks like you have a 53/39 setup, can I seriously suggest a larger inner chainring it is bliss for long rollers on the bars, block headwinds and other nasties and will help you to save your legs, with an SRM you will see the advantage in keeping watts steady and not blowing up your legs.

I have a 54/44 combo which is a ten inch gear drop from chainring to chainring, when you change gears at the back one cog is typically six inches in gear diff, this makes for very smooth pedaling and not blowing your legs up on rolling to hilly courses. I have an 11-21 on my disc and this is great, no missing gears.

Oh and I guess the SRAM or Shimano TT brake levers are great, I prefer the Shimano ones. RTC is cool. Had a chance to play with it. Really like the idea.

Might add I have precisely the same frame as above mate.

Basically the Argon was the wrong size for me (long story), and I needed a frame more suited to my dimensions and flexibility given my recent lower back troubles.

why the change from Argon to cervelo

Thanks for the feedback, will check out those bars. Yep, it is a 53/39, I have thought about replacing the inner chainring, I think I may as well get it done during the build. Great idea :lol:

I'll most likely go Zipp 404/808 Combo, just makes it a bit more usable in windy conditions.

I'm also considering a custom respray of the frame before I put it all back together. I'd prefer to make this baby fairly original (stuff the resale value!). Just looking for a someone who could do such a job in SA.

Might add that looks like you have a 53/39 setup, can I seriously suggest a larger inner chainring it is bliss for long rollers on the bars, block headwinds and other nasties and will help you to save your legs, with an SRM you will see the advantage in keeping watts steady and not blowing up your legs.

I have a 54/44 combo which is a ten inch gear drop from chainring to chainring, when you change gears at the back one cog is typically six inches in gear diff, this makes for very smooth pedaling and not blowing your legs up on rolling to hilly courses. I have an 11-21 on my disc and this is great, no missing gears.

Oh and I guess the SRAM or Shimano TT brake levers are great, I prefer the Shimano ones. RTC is cool. Had a chance to play with it. Really like the idea.

Might add I have precisely the same frame as above mate.

42 inner might be a goer, 44 is better IMHO but some frames you have to be careful with the chainstay rub issue, make sure you check it, whoops having said that I have the exact same frame and have a 44 so you are right..

Yeah I think a 44 inner would be better as well. I'll still keep the 39 if I need it for a hilly course. :lol:

42 inner might be a goer, 44 is better IMHO but some frames you have to be careful with the chainstay rub issue, make sure you check it, whoops having said that I have the exact same frame and have a 44 so you are right..

I'm about to order a P4evo. Am going to keep my Oval bars from my P3 cause i really like them or change to Vuka aero so will have some new 3T whatever come with P4 if you are keen. And Zero Gravity brakes are awesome.

mate, PM me with the model of 3T aero bars you are looking to onsell.

I'm about to order a P4evo. Am going to keep my Oval bars from my P3 cause i really like them or change to Vuka aero so will have some new 3T whatever come with P4 if you are keen. And Zero Gravity brakes are awesome.

And Zero Gravity brakes are awesome.

Unless you want to stop..... or adjust for different wheel widths.... or....

I have a 2010 P3 Frame that I want to build up as my new TT bike (replacing my E114).

However, I'd like some input on the following:

-Brakes

How about some Simkin Egg aero brakes?

P2C%20brake1.jpg

The Simkin Eggs look pretty nice, I will read up more on these. I was going to get SRAM RED brakes, but these are not much more at all. Whether or not they really make an aero difference wouldn't be as important to be as their stopping ability. Anyone care to comment on this?

Another picture, this time on a P3 rather than a P2.

Whether or not they really make an aero difference wouldn't be as important to be as their stopping ability. Anyone care to comment on this?

Haven't fitted mine yet. Look to do shortly so can comment then...

Various forum posts around the place such as slowtwitch suggest good braking performance. Though aero is king! :lol:

Firecrest info: http://fishboy.triathlete.com.au/2010/12/z...-rim-shape.html

(Short analysis: It would *appear* FC is a fair bit quicker, but save your $$$ and get a 404 FC front over an 808 FC front).

Simkins aero brake http://fishboy.triathlete.com.au/2010/01/w...e-worth-it.html

(Short analysis: If you count seconds, not $$$, by all means.)

Why Zipp 808 or 404? Why not one of the better value brands? Is there data that suggests a Ziipp 404 is faster than a comparable 50mm wheel? Is the Zipp sticker the magic bullet? How about the HED 3 for a front?

The op was talking Firecrest. If you want to blow a wad of money for probably marginal gain, go right ahead. I have a H3 front and Hdisc, which, according to my data and usage locations, works better for me than anything Zipp has.

Good question, that's why I prefaced with "perhaps".

I'm pretty open to whatever is stronger / faster / better, let's leave budget out of this for now.

Why Zipp 808 or 404? Why not one of the better value brands? Is there data that suggests a Ziipp 404 is faster than a comparable 50mm wheel? Is the Zipp sticker the magic bullet? How about the HED 3 for a front?

Thanks, just the type of feedback I was looking for.

It doesn't seem that the Simkin brakes come at much of a premium (well, in comparison with say SRAM RED anyway).

Firecrest info: http://fishboy.triathlete.com.au/2010/12/z...-rim-shape.html

(Short analysis: It would *appear* FC is a fair bit quicker, but save your $$$ and get a 404 FC front over an 808 FC front).

Simkins aero brake http://fishboy.triathlete.com.au/2010/01/w...e-worth-it.html

(Short analysis: If you count seconds, not $$$, by all means.)

Definitely agree, any info on the HED3 / Disc combo would be appreciated.

That last bit might be helpful for Mtarone if its performance he is thinking about.