bulldog

Ironman Switzerland

can anyone recommend where to stay near the start / Finish line for IM Switzerland?

Thanks BD

Most of the hotels near the race start/city are very expensive and car parking in the city is over 30 Euro a day. I found the one we stayed at the first time in the city to be very noisy as a lot of them don't have air conditioning and when you open the windows it was hard to sleep through the noise. Maybe it was just worse when we were there because it was during the 2006 world cup and they really get into every match and celebrate all night.

The 2nd time I raced there I stayed at Ibis City West which was about 3kms from the race start I think but it was easy to get to the race via tram and there was free car parking next door. It was also much quieter and more spacious than the ones in the city.

CEM may also have a recommendation as he was over there the 2nd time I raced and Coffs Pete and a group from his club were there as well.

It's a great race with a fantastic atmosphere. I hope to get back there again one day.

Make sure you have a beer in the hot tubs after the finish.

Cheers

POT

Bulldog, I did it in 08 and stayed at the Martahaus on somebody else's recommendation. Link is here to webpage.

It is great location and not that far to race start, modestly priced compared to everything else around given the location, but it's not five star. Let me know if you want more info.

Hey Bulldog, You lucky bloke....IM Switzerland is a real buzz. The Mighty Coffs Harbour Tri Club had a group of 10 racers and another 15 supporters venture to Zurich for the race and we hired a scout hall at Dietikon, about 15 kms out of Zurich by train. However, the night before the race we stayed in a motel in the 'Old Quarter' and it was about 60 Euros each in a double room, so wasn't too bad. It wasn't difficult finding accom for the night prior to the race, so I suggest you stay out of town a bit where it's cheaper and just stay in town for the night before the race. At the end of the race we had to catch the last train home at midnight, so be aware if you do stay out of town and need to get home, check the timetable and they do run to the time table.

While we were there we had a day trip to the 'Roof (Or Top) of Europe' or Jungwhal(???). It is a full day trip by train and well worth doing...you'll love it. The train goes via Grindewald and through the mountain. You may find it cheaper to buy a pass that gives you 50% discount on all train prices within Europe from any Zurich station. Worked out so much cheaper for all of us. Anyway, have a great race and enjoy the rides past the Lindt chocolate factory on the bike course. Also, make friends with some of those European IM. We met a Pommy bloke called Matt who we are staying with in UK for IM UK in late July. We're hoping that he will come out here to IMOz and we can repay the favour.

Enjoy the trip

Coffs Pete

Not sure of your budget or if there is any availability left. However, I am staying at the Ascot Hotel in Zurich. It appears to be in a great position for the race and touring the city. About 1km from transition and very close to the bike course for spectators/family.

Not to far from heartbreak hill also!!!

Looking forward to this race. Couldn't get into any Aus/NZ races so this was the next choice.

There is a youth hostel (like a formulae one motel) about 800metres to the race start. Can't remember the name but it was about 4 stories and a pink colour (if you find a picture on the web. Cheap and next to all types of public transport and a supermarket.

Anyone recommend so hotels which are in the city (close to shops) but still not too far from race location.

The link in my post above is still valid. Failing that I'd be consulting Trip Advisor - lots of more detailed responses than here I'd predict (not saying the responses here are bad, just there's only a few).

Finally booked my accommodation. Over in Switzerland for 9 days in total. Decided to set up base in Luzern for 7 nights and just stay in Zurich the Saturday & Sunday nights. Will get the train into Zurich on the Friday to check in.

Any other trannies heading over this year? 4 more weeks of solid training and then taper. Then 5 weeks in Europe.. Can't wait.

Can anyone who has done this race in recent years weigh in on how it is?

I'm throwing up this or Ironman Italy at the moment for a European Ironman next year