Sign in to follow this  
Stikman

Iron deficiency

Run down, can't sleep, body aches, decreased apetite, poor recovery from workouts. I've missed every period since I was born so I don't know if that's important. :lol: From what I've researched it sounds like iron deficiency and looking at my diet it's certainly a possibility. Now that I'm living on my own the diet has gone downhill a little as it's a waste to cook a steak for one with limited time.

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency? Guessing there would be a few women but especially keen to hear from any blokes with it.

Run down, can't sleep, body aches, decreased apetite, poor recovery from workouts. I've missed every period since I was born so I don't know if that's important. :lol: From what I've researched it sounds like iron deficiency and looking at my diet it's certainly a possibility. Now that I'm living on my own the diet has gone downhill a little as it's a waste to cook a steak for one with limited time.

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency? Guessing there would be a few women but especially keen to hear from any blokes with it.

Go see a doctor and get some blood tests, you could be right or wrong about iron deficiency. Either way the cause needs to be investigated.

Of course, the doc is the next port of call. I'm not trying to self-diagnose and treat or anything.

Just looking to see if anyone had something for me to compare it to. In my experience if you go to a doctor suggesting something they only consider that option and if you don't suggest anything they may take several visits eliminating stuff you know it's not. I'd rather tell him what I think it might be and go from there.

YES.

I'm vegetarian and got my level down to 9 early last year.

feel like snoozing and couldn't run more than 3km for a while.

blood test is simple. do it.

Raising iron levels via pills etc. takes a while to get to 'proper' levels, but it's not long before you feel ok.

iron injections in the butt if the pills aren't working fast enough.

The bit about can't sleep wasn't my experience. I could sleep fine but just wanted more in the middle of the day.

edit: Didn't have any aches either.

Edited by rohan

Have spent the last 12 mths of blood letting getting down to normal iron levels

Symptoms of low iron levels with myself are shortness of breath , legs lactating up, low tolerance of speed work

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency?

No, but I hear Guinness is recommended. If it's good enough for the Irish Blood Bank to give you a pint after a donation, it's good enough for you :lol:

Yep, had this up and down over the last 10 years.

See a doc, get your FBC and iron studies done. It doesn't cost a cent. Doctors see this stuff all the time, so they're all over it.

Get tested every little while so you can establish a baseline and find out what's normal for you.

Then you're doc will talk about managing it. Everyone's different, i.e, for me i can't take iron pills because they mess my stomach (and don't seem to work), but if i eat a steak with oj 3x a week, and stay away from caffeine, my levels go back up.

I only noticed when I tried to give blood and got rejected because my haem count was way way below normal.

Again, find a doc you trust, and get your blood tested.

yes, I am currently on iron injections and have been for the last few months once a week....

Had glandular fever, levels were normal, after getting better was still feeling tired - sleeping a minimum of 10 hours and felt like I needed more! Woke up nearly every morning feeling out of breath!

Training wise, couldn't push myself at all and felt really slow! Lost my apetite and felt pretty shit all round with no motivation AT ALL!

As well as injections I was/am taking iron pills and changed my diet! I still drink coffee - they say that it only inhibits the absorbtion of iron within the first 30 minutes of having/taking it!

I was deficient in other things also... Vitamin D found that a bit of a problem...

Im not back 100% but feel amazing compared to the rest of the year!

I think its a good idea for you to see a doctor! Its so easy! Everyone knows their own body and once you know something is wrong you can do something about it!

:lol:

Yes years ago - got put on a suppliment (fergon?) and told to eat lots of green veg (not being a big meat eater).

Felt similar, worse even a xmas ago, and went to see doc expecting same thing, blood tests cam back iron o/k but results shown I'd had a version of Parvo Virus (like the thing that kill s dogs - mosquito borne) and subsequnt screwed imune responses and reduced red cell count (a temporary aplastic anemia) all I knew was that it hurt all over to run for more than a few min.

Cheers for all of the input guys. Will be booking in to a doctor Monday if I can get in to try and sort myself out.

Forgot to mention that it's not the first time I have gotten like this. I often feel a little run down but it really hits me when I start ramping up my training. I'm fine for two or three weeks (feel better and with more energy in fact) but after that I fall in a big hole. I've investigated overtraining and that's definitely not the cause and after knocking a few other things out this is the best I can think of.

Will see what the doc has to say.

Go see a doctor, get a blood test done ASAP.

Intrivite injection (Vit :lol: and iron tablets (with Vit C) helped me a few years back when run down to help top up levels back to "normal" levels with respect to training load.

Have been anaemic before. Had blood tests done every 2 weeks for 2 months. Went on liquid iron. Ate Kangaroo for Iron. Fodd combining is important too.

Eat Red Meat with orange juice. Avoid eating any cheese or dairy when consuming high iron foods as calcium effects the absorption of iron.

Breakfast eat strawberries with your cereal.

Hope this helps

All the advice here is great.

Get full bloods from your Dr bc it could also be Vitamin B (B12/16) slowing you down. Sometimes go hand in hand with iron def esp in female vegos. Other thing to test if thyroid function. Any case, full bloods will tell you whats going on.

I take Spatone - liquid iron for pregnant women. Thirty dollars from the chemist. Works a treat. Drink it with vit c to increase absorbancy. Lay off the coffee, sugar etc. Stock up on leafy greens.