Stikman

Iron deficiency

Run down, can't sleep, body aches, decreased apetite, poor recovery from workouts. I've missed every period since I was born so I don't know if that's important. :lol: From what I've researched it sounds like iron deficiency and looking at my diet it's certainly a possibility. Now that I'm living on my own the diet has gone downhill a little as it's a waste to cook a steak for one with limited time.

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency? Guessing there would be a few women but especially keen to hear from any blokes with it.

Run down, can't sleep, body aches, decreased apetite, poor recovery from workouts. I've missed every period since I was born so I don't know if that's important. :lol: From what I've researched it sounds like iron deficiency and looking at my diet it's certainly a possibility. Now that I'm living on my own the diet has gone downhill a little as it's a waste to cook a steak for one with limited time.

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency? Guessing there would be a few women but especially keen to hear from any blokes with it.

Go see a doctor and get some blood tests, you could be right or wrong about iron deficiency. Either way the cause needs to be investigated.

Of course, the doc is the next port of call. I'm not trying to self-diagnose and treat or anything.

Just looking to see if anyone had something for me to compare it to. In my experience if you go to a doctor suggesting something they only consider that option and if you don't suggest anything they may take several visits eliminating stuff you know it's not. I'd rather tell him what I think it might be and go from there.

YES.

I'm vegetarian and got my level down to 9 early last year.

feel like snoozing and couldn't run more than 3km for a while.

blood test is simple. do it.

Raising iron levels via pills etc. takes a while to get to 'proper' levels, but it's not long before you feel ok.

iron injections in the butt if the pills aren't working fast enough.

The bit about can't sleep wasn't my experience. I could sleep fine but just wanted more in the middle of the day.

edit: Didn't have any aches either.

Edited by rohan

Have spent the last 12 mths of blood letting getting down to normal iron levels

Symptoms of low iron levels with myself are shortness of breath , legs lactating up, low tolerance of speed work

Anyone else have experience with iron deficiency?

No, but I hear Guinness is recommended. If it's good enough for the Irish Blood Bank to give you a pint after a donation, it's good enough for you :lol:

• Haha 1

Yep, had this up and down over the last 10 years.

See a doc, get your FBC and iron studies done. It doesn't cost a cent. Doctors see this stuff all the time, so they're all over it.

Get tested every little while so you can establish a baseline and find out what's normal for you.

Then you're doc will talk about managing it. Everyone's different, i.e, for me i can't take iron pills because they mess my stomach (and don't seem to work), but if i eat a steak with oj 3x a week, and stay away from caffeine, my levels go back up.

I only noticed when I tried to give blood and got rejected because my haem count was way way below normal.

Again, find a doc you trust, and get your blood tested.

yes, I am currently on iron injections and have been for the last few months once a week....

Had glandular fever, levels were normal, after getting better was still feeling tired - sleeping a minimum of 10 hours and felt like I needed more! Woke up nearly every morning feeling out of breath!

Training wise, couldn't push myself at all and felt really slow! Lost my apetite and felt pretty shit all round with no motivation AT ALL!

As well as injections I was/am taking iron pills and changed my diet! I still drink coffee - they say that it only inhibits the absorbtion of iron within the first 30 minutes of having/taking it!

I was deficient in other things also... Vitamin D found that a bit of a problem...

Im not back 100% but feel amazing compared to the rest of the year!

I think its a good idea for you to see a doctor! Its so easy! Everyone knows their own body and once you know something is wrong you can do something about it!

:lol:

Yes years ago - got put on a suppliment (fergon?) and told to eat lots of green veg (not being a big meat eater).

Felt similar, worse even a xmas ago, and went to see doc expecting same thing, blood tests cam back iron o/k but results shown I'd had a version of Parvo Virus (like the thing that kill s dogs - mosquito borne) and subsequnt screwed imune responses and reduced red cell count (a temporary aplastic anemia) all I knew was that it hurt all over to run for more than a few min.

Cheers for all of the input guys. Will be booking in to a doctor Monday if I can get in to try and sort myself out.

Forgot to mention that it's not the first time I have gotten like this. I often feel a little run down but it really hits me when I start ramping up my training. I'm fine for two or three weeks (feel better and with more energy in fact) but after that I fall in a big hole. I've investigated overtraining and that's definitely not the cause and after knocking a few other things out this is the best I can think of.

Will see what the doc has to say.

Go see a doctor, get a blood test done ASAP.

Intrivite injection (Vit :lol: and iron tablets (with Vit C) helped me a few years back when run down to help top up levels back to "normal" levels with respect to training load.

Have been anaemic before. Had blood tests done every 2 weeks for 2 months. Went on liquid iron. Ate Kangaroo for Iron. Fodd combining is important too.

Eat Red Meat with orange juice. Avoid eating any cheese or dairy when consuming high iron foods as calcium effects the absorption of iron.

Breakfast eat strawberries with your cereal.

Hope this helps

All the advice here is great.

Get full bloods from your Dr bc it could also be Vitamin B (B12/16) slowing you down. Sometimes go hand in hand with iron def esp in female vegos. Other thing to test if thyroid function. Any case, full bloods will tell you whats going on.

I take Spatone - liquid iron for pregnant women. Thirty dollars from the chemist. Works a treat. Drink it with vit c to increase absorbancy. Lay off the coffee, sugar etc. Stock up on leafy greens.

Holy thread revival Batman!

Haven't been around a lot lately, hope everyone's well.

Just thought I'd chuck this in here as it seems appropriate.

First up, yes I'm booked in for blood checks.

I've got the Australian Alpine Ascent 50km in just over 2 weeks. Obviously I'm not a numpty having done a few Ironmans and 10 or so Marathons. I know what it's like to get tired from training and reaching your fitness limits.

Day to day I'm feeling ok, not "you beauty I'm on top of the world" but not "I can't drag myself out of bed". Most runs that aren't my long runs are ok although every now and then I say to myself "self, ever since you've got back in to trail running you want to walk every hill or walk if it becomes slightly hard, you've changed man".

Long runs are all done on trail and I do walk 95% of hills but always around the 3hr mark it's like game over. I can barely walk a hill, migraines on the last 2 runs. I don't believe its energy, I've been experimenting with varying amounts from 150-300 cals an hour and no real change. Probably feel best around 200-250. (Using Tailwind)

Dehydration was a big consideration as I did a 3hr 50m run and consumed 3.4litres and was still down 2.1kg (weighed immediately before and after run). But I'm not sure I'm able to physically drink much more than that.

I found this in regards to Iron deficiency and it seems to fit

Athletes may experience the following symptoms as a result of iron deficiency, particularly with anemia: weakness, general fatigue/exhaustion, decreased exercise performance, increased heart rate and shortness of breath during exercise, headaches, and dizziness.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

I've had low iron and went on tablets.  Knew something was up when I was so tired the thought of getting off the couch to get into bed was just too much at 8.30pm. I was too tired to watch tv even.  Tablets fixed it but were horrible, made me dry reach.

Yep. Low haem was as discovered incidental to other blood tests. Went back for iron levels and ferritin came back super low. Sports doc wanted to do infusion, but I am starting with iron tablets and increased red meat and other non-haem iron rich food consumption. Definitely feeling better after two months, will continue for another month before going back for bloods.

Like Turtle, the tablets make me feel shite. I've solved it by having them right before bed. I don't notice the nausea while I am sleeping.

• Like 1

Could possibly be electrolytes. I use them in water and fuel separately generally, use the Nuum, GU, SIS type ones

I find if tired or head ache these help.

I have naturally low iron, and take supplement when training lots but find the electrolytes help more on daily basis

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Katz said:

Yep. Low haem was as discovered incidental to other blood tests. Went back for iron levels and ferritin came back super low. Sports doc wanted to do infusion, but I am starting with iron tablets and increased red meat and other non-haem iron rich food consumption. Definitely feeling better after two months, will continue for another month before going back for bloods.

Like Turtle, the tablets make me feel shite. I've solved it by having them right before bed. I don't notice the nausea while I am sleeping.

My wife gets the injections every 6 months now.  She's like supergirl the week after getting it.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

My wife gets the injections every 6 months now.  She's like supergirl the week after getting it.

Might need one right before IM then. LOL

• Haha 1

The wife has it now and again, gets tested at work, (hospital) and straight onto tablets if it is low, which it was a few weeks ago. She usually takes 3-4 weeks for it to get back up to normal rates and mostly finds out about it with declining performances on known routes, 1 long climb in particular. I have had it twice and the tablets nearly kill me but they don’t seem to affect her at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katz said:

Might need one right before IM then. LOL

Or 2

I've been feeling ****ed since early December. No exercise let alone training since. Couple of flu type bugs have smashed me.... It's been weird. 

I'm off to get a full blood check done this week. 

Have to admit.... When I read the first post I shit myself.... Then I saw the date 🤣🤣🤣👍I was worried about the first couple of Transitions ✌️👫

• Like 1

This deficiency is easily remedied sign up for an ironman race (no 70.3s) train, and race to completion.

Sorry, for iron deficiency drink as much stout as you can. Solves 2 deficiencies. 

• Like 1

Did 43 km's today in just under 6hrs with 1.1km elevation. Yes slow but that was the plan.

No real problems but still got a migraine at 5hrs20, that I can live with.

No real change other than vitamins from Monday, Iron supps from Tuesday.

I'd also support the blood test, it'll probably let you know with a bit of certanty what it is, be it iron, thyroid, red blood cells or something else.

Going back to Rohans earlier post, we have Haemochromitosis in the family, ie too much iron to the point where my mum and aunt have blood letting. My mum is virtually a vegetarian, but still over produces iron in her blood.

18 hours ago, Slowman said:

This deficiency is easily remedied sign up for an ironman race (no 70.3s) train, and race to completion.

Sorry, for iron deficiency drink as much stout as you can. Solves 2 deficiencies. 

But 70.3 isn't technically proper Iron..... 

• Like 1

Just curious nealo, is the tailwind all you drink for that 5 hrs ? Been trying unsuccessfully so far to source the colarado cola in aust.

On 26/01/2020 at 1:21 PM, Merv said:

Just curious nealo, is the tailwind all you drink for that 5 hrs ? Been trying unsuccessfully so far to source the colarado cola in aust.

Previously it was all I drank other than water.

On Sat I replaced the water with G Active (Gatorade) Electrolite water to supplement the Tailwind.

On 25/01/2020 at 2:47 PM, Slowman said:

That reminded me when my mum was years ago prescribed Guinness by the doctor to help with iron and put on weight.  He'd first suggested milkshakes/smoothies but as she doesn't  really do milk too well, he then suggested Guinness. She was slightly mortified "what will the neighbours, people in the supermarket think!"...LOL...worked a treat though. Dad was jealous.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Turtle said:

That reminded me when my mum was years ago prescribed Guinness by the doctor to help with iron and put on weight.  He'd first suggested milkshakes/smoothies but as she doesn't  really do milk too well, he then suggested Guinness. She was slightly mortified "what will the neighbours, people in the supermarket think!"...LOL...worked a treat though. Dad was jealous.

Back when I was living in Dublin, they used to offer all blood donor's a glass of Guinness once they had finished taking your blood...  I couldn't stand the stuff...

5 hours ago, nealo said:

Previously it was all I drank other than water.

On Sat I replaced the water with G Active (Gatorade) Electrolite water to supplement the Tailwind.

So that made a difference?

23 minutes ago, Merv said:

So that made a difference?

Not sure what made the difference.

Increased Electrolytes during the run, increased vitamin and Iron intake during the week, slower pace, all of it?

Can be such a fiddle, when you think you have it covered with the tailwind. I experiment with all sorts of things, baked potatoes in salt eg

Definitely have a blood test. If you have low iron talk to your doc to ensure that there isn't anything nasty causing it.

This is a great article on how much iron endurance athletes need.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2397065/how-much-iron-is-enough-for-athletes

Be patient it took me nearly 6 months of iron tablets to get my levels to "normal". I tolerate iron tablets well with no side effects.

• Thanks 1

On 23/01/2020 at 10:47 AM, nealo said:

Thanks all.

Will also try worming myself :wink3:

Camel semen mixed in beetroot juice.......

Will be 100% in no time.

• Sad 1

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Nealo ? How did the race go?

On 22/01/2020 at 9:08 AM, Katz said:

Went back for follow up tests last week. Ferritin now low-normal. GP had been pretty keen on an infusion, but was happy for me to avoid it provided the numbers were headed in the right direction with the iron tablets, which they are. 

Looking at a few other things to assist with maintaining iron levels, rather than depleting them monthly. Just keeping doing what I am doing till we get everything else sorted.

On 24/02/2020 at 3:46 PM, Merv said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Nealo ? How did the race go?

Not really. All bloods were good, slightly low B12 but "Active B12" was ok.

AAA race was a belter! Freezing cold and blowing a gale, 80-100km/h winds. People were getting blow off course getting knocked down on the metal grates with blood and smashed faces on probably a dozen.

It was 2 laps of Kosciusko. First lap had me thinking there was no way I was going back out for the second but out I went. My mate and I got sent up the back of the mountain after they decided to close the front off as it was just too dangerous. Only problem is that left it at about 44km instead of 50km. My mate and I weren't too happy about this and only missed the redirection by about 30secs. 

So as we entered a 50km we just did out and backs of the back of the mountain until we knew we'd get to 50km. :rolleyes:

Didn't fall off a cliff but did get another migraine.

Listened to an interesting podcast the other day talking about hyponatremia. https://runningmatters.podbean.com/e/ep-55-andy-blow-the-science-of-endurance-hydration/

Not saying this was it but there are similar symptoms, I was also getting the swelling hands. Being hot and a heavy sweater I was trying to drink more and maybe over done it. I also increased my salt in the last few runs where I felt better.

• Like 1

I know someone who, back in the day, when the down side of Nurofen popping was probably less well known, finished up with a stomach ulcer.  Pulled out of a miler after spewing blood, trip to hospital to be diagnosed with an ulcer which they'd had for a while, accounting for months of complaining about being constantly knackered.

Two blood transfusions, two iron infusions during the following week, felt like Superman (and no doubt like Lance) and ran like a champ for a couple of weeks.

Gotta love that iron.