Sign in to follow this  
longshot

Melbourne marathon - sold out

Seems not just IMs and HIMs ...

Dont know if it was a sellout last year, with around 4000 in the MM according to the results. Apparently *1983* had 6000+, and is record for Australia marathons.

They were aiming for 6000 this year too - so they must have hit the mark!!!

Who's running? I am???

:lol:

I'm in.

There are a bunch of us from the Lakers Tri club (Adelaide) heading over to do one of the events on offer. Should be a great weekend!

Running participation is on the up right across Australia. Great to see!! :lol:

I thought you were going to comment that since this isn't tri related - shouldn't it be in sandbox??? :lol:

And apparently there are more females entered this year than ever, which is awesome. :lol: The below comment was included in one of the e-mails sent out back in August! Imagine how many women are entered now! :D

Even more spectacular is that of 4442 entrants in the marathon, a record 1316 are female (30 per cent). Last year 1010 women entered our marathon and that then was the largest ever field of women assembled for a marathon in Australia. Girl Power is well and truly alive!

Edited by Dolphy

They upped the numbers across the event and still sold out - the half and 10 sold out a while back. Half of Melbourne will be chugging up and down St Kilda road.

I thought you were going to comment that since this isn't tri related - shouldn't it be in sandbox??? :lol:

The key thing is there will be FAR more triathletes taking part in the Melb Marathon events than will ever be riding the Pro Tour, so on that basis it is very relevant to Transitions!!! :lol:

sorta sold out, via online methods anyway...

Less than two weeks remain until the 2010 St.George Melbourne Marathon Festival!

The St.George Melbourne Marathon is the latest event to sell out. Online entries are SOLD OUT - however there will be a limited number of places available ONLY at the Race Office for the Marathon event. There is no wait list - it is a strictly first-in first-served basis. For opening times of the Race Week Office, please click here.

Entries are now only available in the ASICS 4km Walk and Kids' WB 2.5km Run. Very limited places are available so best to enter TODAY to avoid missing out on joining over 25,000 competitors run onto the MCG - just a week after the AFL Grand Final!

just recvd this email today.

------

I am concerned about the merge issues when the marathoners run into the backs of the half marathoners.

It was not great last year.

They are working around it a bit on St Kilda road for a section but there are parts where you have to run through a lot of people running 2mins/km slower than you are.

Bump.

So who is in?

Tyno, Hawk, me, CEM?

You can't call yourself a runner in melbourne and not enter.

7th consecutive MM for me, and hopefully the second time I PB there.

Weather looking a tad on the warm side, but a cool start, so get it over and done with asap and you're right. Wind speed predictions not too bad at this point.

Rest a bit, then wander over to Transport bar and heckle some people... unless it all goes to crap and then you just feel sorry for yourself.

Half for me.

Looks like it will start off cool so I should hopefully be done before the sun starts burning :lol:

So what time are you aiming for 2:4x:xx????

Have a good one.

I assume this is a bike short race. :lol:

Dolphy too, the Sandbox told me.

I hadn't looked at the start time. :lol:

Geez, why did I get up at 6 to run in training?

PB on the way for me :lol:

So what time are you aiming for 2:4x:xx????

you looking at race time prediction calculators there based on half M time?

I know what they say and they don't take into account my cramping legs and I'm lighter on for long runs than I'd like.

I recently did the Bellarine Rail trail 34km at 2;49;35Mpace, so it's not realistic to expect another 8.2km at that pace

Entered HM, aiming for Sub 1:30. Pulled out though, got over Glandular and have gotten a couple of decent weeks running in, but I would rather get back to Canberra early, not risk health before Shep and would rather wait till Im 100% before I race my nemisis again.

It will be a crowded but enjoyable day. Melbs is finally getting some nice spring weather

Dolphy too, the Sandbox told me.

I hadn't looked at the start time. :lol:

Geez, why did I get up at 6 to run in training?

:D me too!

I'm gonna freeze!!!! Look for someone very rugged up on Sunday morning!

:lol: me too!

I'm gonna freeze!!!! Look for someone very rugged up on Sunday morning!

just position yourself in the middle of the throng and it can be surprisingly warm on a cold day.

just position yourself in the middle of the throng and it can be surprisingly warm on a cold day.

That's my plan :lol:!!!!

I'm in!!

First stand alone marathon...so will see what happens!

I'll be the one looking hot in bright pink compression socks. :lol:

I know what they say and they don't take into account my cramping legs and I'm lighter on for long runs than I'd like.

I recently did the Bellarine Rail trail 34km at 2;49;35Mpace, so it's not realistic to expect another 8.2km at that pace

Mate, stop talking yourself down.

You recently did a fast half marathon and you back it up with a solid trail run.

I think I am on the money.

Don't leave anything in the tank.

I am with Thomo.

Your HM time predicts sub 2:50 and if you can run that pace on a trail why not on the road even if 8km further??

I am with Thomo.

Your HM time predicts sub 2:50 and if you can run that pace on a trail why not on the road even if 8km further??

Last year was 2:53:07

This year you are more focussed on running.

I stand by a sub 2:50 and well under it for you.

Bump.

So who is in?

Tyno, Hawk, me, CEM?

You can't call yourself a runner in melbourne and not enter.

Weather looking a tad on the warm side, but a cool start, so get it over and done with asap and you're right. Wind speed predictions not too bad at this point.

Rest a bit, then wander over to Transport bar and heckle some people... unless it all goes to crap and then you just feel sorry for yourself.

Count me in - maybe a little bit stoopid - I haven't done much training and right on the back of a fairly intensive OS trip. But, what the heck, it's only pain, right? :lol:

Tyno, Hawk, me, CEM?

Nope. Achilles surgery in June ruled me out of any running race for a while...although I did just do 15 x (1min walk / 1min run) at lunch-time!!!

However there's 3 runners in the marathon, 5 in the half mara and 2 in the 10km who I coach (+ 2 in Kona). A big event for our group!!

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by CEM

I'm sitting here at the moment wondering why my knee hurts.

I didn't make it 17 weeks without any issues to have some niggle crop up for no apparent reason in the last few days! :lol:

Nope. Achilles surgery in June ruled me out of any running race for a while...although I did just do 15 x (1min walk / 1min run) at lunch-time!!!

However there's 3 runners in the marathon, 5 in the half mara and 2 in the 10km who I coach (+ 2 in Kona). A big event for our group!!

Good luck to everyone.

Bloody achilles, eh. The worst injury to try to carry.

Rightio......

Train for a few months - check

Stay injury free - check

Spend 10 hours in the car travelling over from Adelaide (with 2 kids!) - check

Make sure accomodation is good - check

Set a new marathon PB - ?????

Should be a great day - weather looks good if the wind stays away, so looking forward to it.

At the moment we have about 10-15 doing the marathon and another 15-20 doing the half/10km/5km, so if you see anyone wearing 'Lakers' triathlon gear, say Hi!

(also have 4 members racing Kona, who I am sure would have been in for the marathon otherwise)

Also, went for a run around the Tan track last night and reckon that slightly uphill bit we have to run near the end is going to be a killer! Lastly, saw a Tri group meeting at the start of the track last night just before 5pm - anyone know who that group would be?

Edited by Hawk

Also, went for a run around the Tan track last night and reckon that slightly uphill bit we have to run near the end is going to be a killer!

those two km that rise from going through the tunnel and go along near the tan track were my two slowest last year. both were 10secs/km slower than the average I finished with.

Will be at the turn around point (25km) offering words of encouragement*

*Will most likely be of the negative nature....

I'm running the full marathon. Should be a good day.

If you're doing the half please ne aware you might have some faster marathon runners try to weave through the pack when you get back onto St Kilda Rd - it was a bit of a nightmare last year. Can't see it being different this year

Congratulations to all that competed and finished the Melbourne Marathon today. Fantastic effort by Mack Daddy who finished in a PB of 2.44.

Also, who was the first triathlete home. Dave Green from Nunawading Triathlon Club and coached by CEM finished in a PB of 2.36 abd 23rd overall. Amazing effort from someone who trains incredibly hard in all 3 disciplines.

results online now - multisportaustralia site - Official time - 3:40.42 for me.

Stoked about covers it.

blergh.

woke at 3;30am to vomit.

felt good at start.

atrial fibrillation at 3km, slowed, tried to reset, but top end was gone, slowed again, tried again etc.

felt frustrated and hoped for a while, but then had to resign myself, so after some grumpy kilometers, figured I just had to jog it home and enjoy it, so started talking, waving, high fiving etc. and had a different experience to what I had previously planned.

got heckled by freak and mank who were spectating... a few km earlier and I would have ignored you entirely.

thanks for the energy.

3;10

so after some grumpy kilometers, .............

.........got heckled by freak and mank who were spectating... a few km earlier and I would have ignored you entirely.

The grumpy Km's must have been when you saw CEM and myself :lol:

I did the half marathon, thinking it would be good preparation for my first HIM in shep. I now wonder if I would have been better off not knowing how underprepared I am. Somehow I think <20km training per week was never going to give me a good result!

I knew I wasn't looking that good when the heckling and cheering was replaced with pitiful silence whenever I shuffled by....

Edited by Catcam

The grumpy Km's must have been when you saw CEM and myself :lol:

sorry, was probably a bit self absorbed at the time.

blergh.

woke at 3;30am to vomit.

felt good at start.

atrial fibrillation at 3km, slowed, tried to reset, but top end was gone, slowed again, tried again etc.

felt frustrated and hoped for a while, but then had to resign myself, so after some grumpy kilometers, figured I just had to jog it home and enjoy it, so started talking, waving, high fiving etc. and had a different experience to what I had previously planned.

got heckled by freak and mank who were spectating... a few km earlier and I would have ignored you entirely.

thanks for the energy.

3;10

Not good news. Maybe Evil & I put the mocker on you.

The father of one of our members finished the Melbourne Marathon.

80 year old Gerry Riley finished his 146th marathon in a time of 6.10

He was lucky enough to race alongside his Daughter and 21y/o grandson both competing in their first.

Quite amazing...that is 6161.2km in just his marathon races completed...wow

Ok, please excuse the whinge but...

This years event seemed to drop the ball on a few key issues

1. How on earth do you have a world class marathon event with no sports drink at the finish - the water they did have at the finish tasted awful.

2. Results are gun times? What is with that? Did they get rid of timing on the shoe for the timing on the bib and just decide that gun time was good enough - because it isn't.

Other than that great event - but really those are two pretty important things. Found one guy after the marathon who was shaking like a leaf and so I gave him my Gatorade from the pack you pick up outside the G. He was very happy, as he wanted one but there were none on hand. Someone else gave him a blanket as he wasn't looking too good.

1. How on earth do you have a world class marathon event with no sports drink at the finish - the water they did have at the finish tasted awful.

2. Results are gun times? What is with that? Did they get rid of timing on the shoe for the timing on the bib and just decide that gun time was good enough - because it isn't.

results have to be gun times, otherwise you can all sorts of fun and tactical games with people starting 20mins late and 'beating' competitors who finished 19mins ahead of them.

the chip time is a concession to the fact that most of us are really time trialling and don't have the benefit of starting right on the line, and for us it's all about PBs.

re drinks.

for the the later competitors there was no drink of any description on the course. aid stations had been packed up.

I met up with a few slower competitors and there were frustrations about no drinks, no marshals to direct those needing the alternative slow route. the lanyard handed out didn't match up with what signage/website said. some slowies were directed to shortcut, and probably didn't even realize it.

there were tears about the lack of medals after about 5;45? into the race.

I trust IMG will slowly smooth out the kinks. They've done what they can with the Marathon/half merges and helped that out a bit, though theres stil probs there.

Basically until they can totally close down the section of st. kilda road between domain road and flinders st. they are a bit hamstrung.

I appreciate the need for gun times

but there are NO chip times available.

there were when i looked last night :lol:

I have two times that are seconds apart.

In the half all we have is gun time - downloaded the spreadsheet from their webpage

Edited by dazaau

results have to be gun times, otherwise you can all sorts of fun and tactical games with people starting 20mins late and 'beating' competitors who finished 19mins ahead of them.

the chip time is a concession to the fact that most of us are really time trialling and don't have the benefit of starting right on the line, and for us it's all about PBs.

r

and there were, I was there to watch my wife start the marathon at 7.00 and then waited to see a friend off in the half at 8.00. There was probably another thirty marathon starters who turned up late and started at anything up to about 7.40!