Julian

Best Recovery Supplements

Hi Everyone

I've been wanting to buy a recovery supplement to take after training but am not sure what is beneficial or just clever marketing. Does anyone use a recovery supplement and if yes what do you use?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Julian

Foods of origin

In laymans terms, if you know where it comes from then that will be the best recovery food for you.

I've been down the whole path of doing supplements and at the end of the day they are a false supplements and a poor subsitute for what we should be doing.......... eating real foods.

If you think and pill, formula and or powder will speed up your reovery, then you're on the wrong track, because those things will ALWAYS fall short in terms of 10,000 years of evolution............Science can't comptete.

Binned all my supplements 2 months ago and yes it does take more planning to buy fruit, veges, fish, nuts etc on a daily basis, but at the end of the day from a N=1 perspective I'm 6kg lighter, my energy levels are higher and more consistent and I no longer have those weird cravings.

fluro

+1 to Fluro

Although I can't say I've ever tried them so I can't compare. I have had a Sustagen Sport or a Whey Powder occassionally though but it has never been routine.

Will review the situation when my age and body tells me too.

For longer sessions I've found Opti quite good, but I can't get it in the UK. I race and train with Hammer products but don't like their Recoverite product at all.

If it's a really intense session like after a crit race then a can of Coke and a white bread sandwich hits the spot. :lol:

I was given a sachet of SiS Recovery drink at my sportive on Sunday, but it's chocolate flavour :lol: so i won't be trying it any time soon!

Although there is no substitute for food and the importance of it in training, there is also room for supplements. If you use creatine for recovery, it is naturally ocurring in red meat. You would however need to eat 1kg of red meat to get 5g of Creatine. Probably not ideal if your trying to keep your weight down. Protein powders are also useful as they allow you get protein into your body post work out quickly. Everyone has an opinion on this, but I think if you follow science when it comes to provide medicines and treatments for health conditions, you also need to acknowledge science when it comes to sports nutrition. Science is primarily based on principles that are tested and proven.

Sustagen Sport is the biggest secret out there! One serving gives you the right amount of protein and carbs and is a third of the price of opti etc. Everyone here will say opti, but I don't quite get it. It has less protein per serve compared with Sustagen and all the other ingredients are very similar. I'm sure I'm about to stand corrected though, cause sustagen sport is not very cool...........

Sustagen Sport is the biggest secret out there! One serving gives you the right amount of protein and carbs and is a third of the price of opti etc. Everyone here will say opti, but I don't quite get it. It has less protein per serve compared with Sustagen and all the other ingredients are very similar. I'm sure I'm about to stand corrected though, cause sustagen sport is not very cool...........

Have to agree with Lostkiwi - sustagen and Opti both use whey protein - then main thing is to learn to read the small print on the nutrition panel. The AIS guidelines can be seen at :

http://www.coachroblowe.com/nutrition-ais-guidelines.htm

But after a long session, for me, nothing comes close to the restorative effects of a 10-20 minute (max) nap.

The important thing is to get a modest intake of CHO and protein within 30 mins of finishing training. Often you need to go with what's available. Things like pre-packaged sustagen, up&go are convenient and easily digested. Tuna sandwich is good. Even chocolate milk or a smoothie. In summer, coco pops and milk is pretty nice after a long ride provided it ends at home.

Having said that, the sport-specific products (favorite is Opti, SIS choc is being tested ATM but I don't love the flavour) also have their place.

Foods of origin

In laymans terms, if you know where it comes from then that will be the best recovery food for you.

I've been down the whole path of doing supplements and at the end of the day they are a false supplements and a poor subsitute for what we should be doing.......... eating real foods.

If you think and pill, formula and or powder will speed up your reovery, then you're on the wrong track, because those things will ALWAYS fall short in terms of 10,000 years of evolution............Science can't comptete.

Binned all my supplements 2 months ago and yes it does take more planning to buy fruit, veges, fish, nuts etc on a daily basis, but at the end of the day from a N=1 perspective I'm 6kg lighter, my energy levels are higher and more consistent and I no longer have those weird cravings.

fluro

I could not agree more with this statement and have gone down the same path as Fluro only to come back to real food. It also tastes way better :lol:

I have a couple of supplements and they are good ... but nothign beats real food.

If out and about - when I finish a hard session I feel great after a big chocolate milk. If at home I throw some oats, milk, banana, syrup, protein powder in the blender.

It's no big secret that the main idea is just to get some sugar and protein - first priority. More complex carbs, etc, second priority. In my opinion anyway.

And make sure it tastes awesome - I reckon the reward is a good psychological factor.

I skip the magic powders. Two poached eggs on toast with salad, and a glass for full fat milk (I like the taste).

schooner of boags/cascade light with a dogs eye and sauce. If extremely tired, add coffee, preferably double shot.

Another for Opti for longer sessions and Endura Max for shorter Sessions.

But as mentioned, nothing beats real food, i would much rather eat something than drink a shake...mmmmm... food

A lot of people with banf on about supplements as they may get them cheap or they are caught up in the hype.

Keep it simple - use natural food as much as possible

I have used recovery products when I feel I need it - but not all the time

I think most recovery products are about the same or at least have the same net result

So find something that tastes right and does not hit the hip to much

Having a gram more of this or that will not make a shed of difference in reality

Get the priority - real food then taste and price

Always handy to have some on hand but do not get sucked into "needing" ir or it being some magic formula

Spend the saved money on coaching, new toys, races etc ha ha take the missus away for the weekend on one tub!

Chocolate Big-M + banana.

Yep, after long sessions, I usually put 2 small bananas, lots of chocolate nesquik, 600ml of milk and some ice in the blender. that followed by 20mn nap on the couch usually gets me going again for the rest of the day.

Or a Dare double espresso is pretty good too!

I race and train on HAMMER products. Love most of them. I don't like their Perpetuem as the protein component is soy, and that gives me gastro troubles.

As for recovery, their RECOVERITE isn't the most yummy tasting thing, but it seems to work great. I have a bit of a drive back from where i do my long runs, so I always have a bottle of cold Recoverite made up in the car for the drive home, then once home an ice bath and hot coffee, then a warm shower, and then within a couple of hours a good meal of real food.

The Recoverite has the 4:1 C:P, plus glutamine for recovery. And after a long run I don't much feel like real food!

I'm not sure if it's the recoverite, the ice bath or both, but either way i pull up a lot better than when I don't do either!

Edited by The Turtle

My favourite at the moment:

If training ends at home:

1 cup of milk skim, ½ cup plain yoghurt, 1.2 a cup of frozen berries & either 3 tea spoons of Milo or some honey. Whizz up in the blender. + a piece of fruit usually a ‘nanna

If away from home: 1 Big M (banana flavour) + a piece of fruit usually a ‘nanna

+1

Opti - Hype = Sustagen Sport

And Sustagen Sport - Hype = Chocolate Milk.... :lol:

If you are uber-desperate for more protein, mix some extra skim milk powder into your chocolate milk. And spend the money you've saved on Opti (or whatever the latest must-have nutrition is) on some bike gear/run gear/alcohol/hookers...

Cheers,

Abby

Thanks everyone for your feedback, some great information and recipies there.

I totally agree that nothing beats real food. I more want something in case i am in a hurry or out and about and don't have time to make something up. I've been caught out lately after a big session i've been in a hurry to go out and have had a recovery meal 60 or 90 mins after a workout which leaves me feeling rubbish the rest of the day.

A recovery type drink I could easily make up and drink straight away. Sustagen i didn't even think of which is cheap and a true winner. What is opti? Is it optimum nutrition WPI?

Thanks

Julian

Make up 2 hard boiled eggs when you are getting your stuff together in the morning. Chuck 'em in the fridge when they are done, eat them when you get home.

Who has time to do that?

I get my stuff ready the night before, get out of bed, get my shit on and go before I don't go!

What is opti? Is it optimum nutrition WPI?

Thanks

Julian

Endura Optimiser. Friend of many on here, reviled by some!

I am the wholesale distributor for Nuun in Aus.

If you need to rehydrate after your big sessions this is the Gear. No Carbs and replace the electrolytes for the next session. www.nuun.com

I've tried Nuun a few times here, ended up giving them away and went back to Hammer. :lol:

Here is my most recent recovery food after a pretty solid bike session. 1 packet maggi noodles, 3 eggs. Boil noodles, stir in 3 eggs, fry in non stick pan, eat. Awesome.

Here is my most recent recovery food after a pretty solid bike session. 1 packet maggi noodles, 3 eggs. Boil noodles, stir in 3 eggs, fry in non stick pan, eat. Awesome.

I would so smash that after a bike ride! And it's easy.

Binned all my supplements 2 months ago - and I no longer have those weird cravings.

Good luck :D I'm still taking my Opti, have been since 92 :( Not about to change

I have found taking Q10 after a hard workout makes me feel better sooner. Taking extra omega-three oils after long hot races or workouts speeds up recovery. Extra vit C after hot weather workouts may save you looking like a dried out chamois when you get to 60Yrs.

My wife turned 51yrs yesterday and has no grey hair - I am 62yrs and have almost none (I didn't have any when I first met her) - are we both genetically gifted :lol: Or is there some value in taking quality supplements :D

I have not had an easy life, I've worked outdoors since I was 20yrs, earth moving, landscaping, pool building in Queensland. I've pushed my body hard, 33 Ironmans is only part of it. I'm afraid that these well meaning posters could influence some away from "wasting their money on supplements and quality recovery products"

I've raced the Hell of the West triathlon in beautiful Goondiwindi, eighteen times and won my category every time - genetically gifted :lol: or well maintained :D

I hope i'm that healthy when i turn 51. Genetics could be part of it but nutrition including the right supplements is a big part too. So you run a training group AP? Where are you based?

I'm not sure of I should give away the candy shop for free here....... who wants to know what's in the Yox2 Candy Shop ?

Who has time to do that?

I get my stuff ready the night before, get out of bed, get my shit on and go before I don't go!

*shrugs* i take my time in the morning. 15 minutes doesn't kill me. I also have a pretty full breakfast too.

Good luck :( I'm still taking my Opti, have been since 92 :( Not about to change

I have found taking Q10 after a hard workout makes me feel better sooner. Taking extra omega-three oils after long hot races or workouts speeds up recovery. Extra vit C after hot weather workouts may save you looking like a dried out chamois when you get to 60Yrs.

What makes me feel stronger is that I make sure I'm fully warmed up before I hit my main sets. At my age this usually takes at least 45-60min and involves spinning around on the bike for this time before I meet the group, for example.

I'll also spin around a lot longer at the end of the session to get the recovery process kicking in even before the session is complete.

Once I'm off the bike it's straight to the fridge and I grab the healthiest foods I can see right there on the spot. They work wonders especially after key sessions.

Mostly importantly though I try to avoid getitng TOO depleted while I train, it makes it that much easier to replenish fuel stores afterwards. So you don't need to be chewing down massive 500-1lites post recovery shakes that need XXX time to be processed.

My wife turned 51yrs yesterday and has no grey hair - I am 62yrs and have almost none (I didn't have any when I first met her) - are we both genetically gifted :lol: Or is there some value in taking quality supplements :D

I have not had an easy life, I've worked outdoors since I was 20yrs, earth moving, landscaping, pool building in Queensland. I've pushed my body hard, 33 Ironmans is only part of it. I'm afraid that these well meaning posters could influence some away from "wasting their money on supplements and quality recovery products"

I'm 40 years old and have some grey hair. My much younger brother is going bald at 30years old, maybe it's just genetics. I've been pushing my body since I was 10 years old, I had no choice, a parent made me do it, so I'm not that far off your 33 years AP. My bod is alot more worn and torn by the sounds of it though, varicose veins at 28 operated on, about to go in again, screwed up feet that don't allow me to run anymore, ganglions in my wrists due to physical work/jobs/sport all my life, it's pretty cool when they get so big and explode, that has happened twice this year. I even have a stenosis growing and that shouldn't be happening at my age........maybe I should be taking supplements........ wait a minute that is what I always did during those times. :D

I've raced the Hell of the West triathlon in beautiful Goondiwindi, eighteen times and won my category every time - genetically gifted :lol: or well maintained :D

Well done, that is a good achievement that I'll never be able to match........I am envious, seriously.

....ganglions in my wrists due to physical work/jobs/sport ...

Kinda OT and I hope you don't mind Fluro, I am curious about this. I developed one of these 18 months ago had first maybe popping this year after a big ol bike ride... I was quite pleased as I thought it had gone, but no.

I am just wondering if there is anything that can be done for these? The main reason is that they cause a bit of “discomfort”, not pretty either but mainly just sore.

Kinda OT and I hope you don't mind Fluro, I am curious about this. I developed one of these 18 months ago had first maybe popping this year after a big ol bike ride... I was quite pleased as I thought it had gone, but no.

I am just wondering if there is anything that can be done for these? The main reason is that they cause a bit of “discomfort”, not pretty either but mainly just sore.

I was told by a GP that they used to bash a bible over them to make them POP, seriously.

Like you they become sore and swell up quite a bit, I find using paddles when I swim make mine explode and then eventually the fluid is broken down. Not much you can do other then ride it out, and yes they do just keep coming back.

what I have been told is that they are just holes in your ligament/tendons? (not sure which one) and sacks of fluid leak out, fill up and an operation will only lance the sack of fluid but nothing can be done to repair the hole where the fluid leaks through.

haven't really researched it that much though.

I had one recently that looked like Ayers Rock, it was HUGE, and when it popped my whole hand was swollen for about 2 weeks, zero pain once it pops.

fluro

Yeah that is pretty much what I have heard also. Good to know and thanks.

I am ok with the bible bit as for me post-popping is a lot more comfortable not sure I could wack myself hard enough though.

Swim for me is fine it is the bike where I have issues... so I guess I will just have to “ride it out” :lol:

Thanks for the response fluro.

I even have a stenosis growing and that shouldn't be happening at my age........maybe I should be taking supplements........ wait a minute that is what I always did during those times.

Sounds like an absorbtion problem to me :lol:

All the supplements in the world - all the quality natural food in the world - won't do much good if your gut is not absorbing properly :D

I've known cases where a stress fracture occured in a young athlete who had an excellent diet. She was later diagnosed with gluten intolerence - the gluten stopped her stomach from absorbing the nutrients :lol:

The same can happen if you don't have the ability to digest dairy foods - all the nutrition is going down the chute - but it keeps on going because you're only getting a percentage of the goodness from it.

Good digestion is the key to athletic performance and continued improvement - high octane fuel is not much use to an engine with faulty injectors :D

Ascend Sport Protein Recovey is great for after tough workouts, can mix with water or milk.

I mix it in my porridge after morning sessions.

Garwood is on the right track - Ascend products are one of the sekrit weapons........

A 1kg drum cost 99.50 and free delivery.

If you send me a message I can email a code for @ 20% discount to be used by October.

My email address is garwood3000@yahoo.com.au, just send your name and your trannies name

Or if you are a fan of adding in your own "extras", you can get the Ascend WPI for alot cheaper....

I would have to recheck the panels but I looked into Sustagen instead of Opti a few years ago. From memory the extra scoops you need to put in for the same carb content makes them cost about the same per serve anyway. Suatagen ends up being higher in protein though if that is you intent.