emme

Finding a vintage watch

For somwthing like longines id buy locally and claim the tax back at the airport.

I walk past a Longines shop on my way to work. Will get a Dubai price tonight. Airport Duty Free will be similar.

This exact watch....

http://m.longines.com/watches/longines-dolcevita/L5.155.4.71.6

4400 Dirham (AED) window price. Exchange to AUD is close to divide by three. They are usually good for 10-15% off if you ask for it. Dunno about the airport though. Usually fixed price.

Many thanks mate!!. Will check it out. I think we could negotiate close to that at my local longines retailer then take off gst refund and even closer - which will be good news if I am correct

Would a Rolex or Omega be cheaper in Hong Kong or the US?

Probably the US

Exactly what my wife is after at the moment. Do i buy here in Oz or get it on out holiday??? (we go in 10 days) - options are here (Sydney anywhere or airport), Dubai airport, Germany, UK, Canada or France.... (no... I am not going to all of these countries... but my wife is)

Quack, I have a Longines, Rolex and I think an Omega dealer in town. I'd be happy to get you some prices for compare but I don't think they'll scrub up too well. You can get most of the VAT back on leaving the country but it's not as slick as the TRS IMO.

I walk past a Longines shop on my way to work. Will get a Dubai price tonight. Airport Duty Free will be similar.

This exact watch....

http://m.longines.com/watches/longines-dolcevita/L5.155.4.71.6

4400 Dirham (AED) window price. Exchange to AUD is close to divide by three. They are usually good for 10-15% off if you ask for it. Dunno about the airport though. Usually fixed price.

That's the exact watch Mrs FP has. She has very small wrists and it suits her really well.

Quack, I have a Longines, Rolex and I think an Omega dealer in town. I'd be happy to get you some prices for compare but I don't think they'll scrub up too well. You can get most of the VAT back on leaving the country but it's not as slick as the TRS IMO.

Thanks mate.

If she goes for the Longines without the diamonds (as per Plaz link), then the difference is not that much anyway - no matter which way we go. The one with Diamonds is at least double the price tho -let me see what she says. She wont be going Rolex or Omega - she does not want to have that much cash spent and also does not care about having an automatic

Thanks mate.

If she goes for the Longines without the diamonds (as per Plaz link), then the difference is not that much anyway - no matter which way we go. The one with Diamonds is at least double the price tho -let me see what she says. She wont be going Rolex or Omega - she does not want to have that much cash spent and also does not care about having an automatic

Well I'm walking into town later anyway, so I'll check it out. Kind of curious myself now we have a benchmark price.

• Like 1

I'll admit though, while I'll never have the money for one. I'd love to have a doxa.

I love my watches, now have tag aqua racer automatic cronograph that was my first, a omega sea master cronograph and about to get my first bretling that my wife is buying for our 10 th anniversary.

It's funny cause I am a bogan, wear trackers up the shops, have a 600hp v8 and never shave or worry to much about clothes that lowes don't sell. When people look at the watches everyone presumes they are fake but it is funny when I go to buy something of value like a car or a house they always look and base their view of my affordability on the watch.

Thanks mate.

I went in just now. The painted numeral Dolce Vita is £760 and the diamond one 'if' I'm looking at the right one is £1070. I say 'if' because the numbers looked more like little metal pieces than diamonds to me but maybe that was the light. Didn't get to speak to anyone as the shop was busy (it's the Winchester Hat Fair this weekend, yes hats!) So there might be wiggle room.

www.auctionata.com is the new kid on the block.... well worth a look.

Offloaded an old Piaget and picked up a Hublot Big Bang there over the past 12 months they do classic watch auctions every few months.

Berlin based outfit very slick. Next luxury watch auction is 11 July... There is another Big Bang I see....

http://auctionata.com/en/o/42708/hublot-big-bang-chronograph-switzerland-around-2000

Hard to beat if you are after luxury vintage...

Cam

I think yoyo just had to adjust his shorts!

www.auctionata.com is the new kid on the block.... well worth a look.

Offloaded an old Piaget and picked up a Hublot Big Bang there over the past 12 months they do classic watch auctions every few months.

Berlin based outfit very slick. Next luxury watch auction is 11 July... There is another Big Bang I see....

http://auctionata.com/en/o/42708/hublot-big-bang-chronograph-switzerland-around-2000

Hard to beat if you are after luxury vintage...

Cam

Is "vintage" just a term? That is a new watch isn't it, I thought vintage meant old/used, like a classic car in mint condition? Looks freaking tops too.

For those shopping at the more budget end of the market, ozsale.com.au has Citizen watches on sale at the moment.

A variety of styles, including IM digital and HRM sets, at pretty cheap prices.

this link will only work if you are/have a log in for ozsale...

http://www.ozsale.com.au/ItemsList.aspx?saleID=5673145f-c672-4f40-82d6-a6a2827fcb8d&ui=8#Timex/Men+s

The Timex Expedition series with NATO strap is a classic.

Talking about vintage. A revival of the classics was the key theme this year at the world’s largest watch fair, Baselworld, this year. Standout vintage reissues and new heritage-influenced models came from the likes of Tudor, Longines, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega and Blancpain.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/executive-style/luxury/vintage-themes-dominate-watch-design-20140714-zt43a.html#ixzz37P80nLXE